PDA

View Full Version : Prices in Starship book???

MFalls
21 February 2002, 08:07 PM
I have the book but really havn't read it. I just read in a post that the price for a Victory Star Destroyer is like 57,000,000. That's like dirt cheap for a ship that size. That's if you go by the prices in the real world here in the US. Isn't like a Stealth Bomber or Fighter like in the millions to build. I just find that really dumb of WOTC. They should have just left it as Not for Sale. And that's it. Instead of Not for Sale (Likely valued at 57,000,000). But that's just my opinion.

Corsair
21 February 2002, 08:19 PM
I dont know this for sure, but I have seen it said a few times, but wasnt it WEG who brought out prices for that stuff in the first place ?

At any rate, items like this shouldn't be allowed to be bought ... captured / built / etc definately .. but not bought.

I think the SoTG book has a write up on building a ship .. dont know the exact details as I dont have the book myself .. but from the explanation it gave the time to build depended on how many units of resource you had at your disposal.

BrianDavion
21 February 2002, 08:26 PM
it seems obvious, to me anyway, that the prices for big capships sort of don't really work.

the prices in the WOTC book, are ment for fighters and light freighters, any bigger and they really shouldn't be owned for personal use. thus around corevette level the costs list sort of begins to break down and stop really working right. thats my read of it at least

MFalls
21 February 2002, 09:29 PM
About the whole WEG cost issue. I have every single book they came out with except for some adventure books. And I looked through the Imperial Sourcebook 2nd Edition nothing "huge" is for sale. Rebellion Sourcebook 2nd Edition and the biggest thing in that for sale is a Corellian Corvette and Corellian Gunship. Which both are under 150 meters in length. I also looked in Crackens Threat Dossier and nothing "huge" is for sale in that. Looked in all three books from the Timothy Zahn series and nothing "huge" is for sale in that. Looked in The Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded nothing "huge" for sale in that. Looked in the Star Wars 2nd Edition Suorce book and nothing "huge" is for sale in that. Looked in the Dark Empire book. They had three good sized ships. The Imperail Dungeon Ship 764 meters (Which the name says it all. It's a jail ship). The Modular Taskforce Curiser 1,150 meters (Which it's not a combat ship). Then there's the Hyperspace Marauder 164 meters (Which it's just a big smugglers ship). So for WEG's bringing out the cost for things like the huge combat ships (example the Victory Star Destroyer) to my knowledge they never put prices on that stuff. Even in the Dark Empire book the ships that had prices weren't combat ships. And they had the Eclipse Super Star Destroyer in that book. And the one big ship that I pointed out the Hyperspace Marauder which possibly could be a combat ship. It was impounded by the Empire. So maybe for game terms they put a price on it so that players might be able to buy it from the Empire. But any ways like I said to my knowledge WEG's didn't put prices on really huge ships. I didn't go and look through every single one of my books. So I could be wrong. But I looked through most of the major ones. Also these are 2nd Edition books. I know nothing about 1st Edition. If WEG's printed some thing in a 1st Edition book. Well it looks like they fixed the problem in all the 2nd Edition books I've looked at. Just had to possibly get that straight about WEG's.

blitzkreig
21 February 2002, 11:51 PM
unconfirmed as of yet but considering that they went to all the trouble to provide a base price chart based on the amount of construction points that go into building a ship and some other individual components that are featured in SotG, it may very well be likely that the listed price reflects the construction point cost for building the ship.

looking at it though, the victory star destroyer was much smaller than the other star destroyers and older than the other star destroyers that may be a factor also (i.e. defender star destroyer 168,528,000 or the imperial 2 star destroyer 145,670,000 and the executor 1,143,350,000).

as for being unreasonable as far as cost is concerned and to reiterate a time-honored proverb "..you're the gm, if you don't like it you can change it." so the price is a little low end for you, nothing says you can't jack on a couple extra million (who's counting anyways?) to the price, for all we know the thing might still be a lemon anyways..

Nazgul
22 February 2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by MFalls
Isn't like a Stealth Bomber or Fighter like in the millions to build.

Steah Bomber: 1 - 2 billion
Fighter: 35+ million

Nice and cheap, :)

Ash
22 February 2002, 03:54 AM
I always figured that the published prices were to build the ship but not actually supply it. With a necessary crew in the thousands you can bet that would take a huge amount of food, water and parts that are sold separately.

reliant
22 February 2002, 05:15 AM
The price listed on the VSD could also be just the base price. If you want to have stuff like shields and turbolasers (the sport package) that would be an extra couple million. If you want computers and equipment so you can move the thing around and not smash into every rock in the galaxy, well add a few more million for that. So your sticker looks something like this:

Victor Class Star Destroyer
Base Price: 57,000,000

OPTIONS:
Sport Package (turbo lasers and sheilds): 4,000,000
Hyperdrive/Navcomp: 3,000,000
Rustproofing: 23,000,000

OTHER COSTS:
PA State Emissions Testing: 100,000,000
Sales Tax: 3,000,000
Title/Licsensing: 2,500,000

TOTAL: 192,500,000

:D

Lord Diggori
22 February 2002, 06:30 AM
I own and have read SotG thoroughly and see no problem with the cost of captial ships. Notice that 57 mill is the cost to build one of these things and includes everything in that stat listing (weapons too). It's market price is likely to be much higher. Also as Ash pointed out running the thing and maintainence would be at least as costly as the vessel itself. ImperialVics arent for sale but after they fall whose to say Rendilli wouldnt sell to another govt or private interest.

Comparing SW prices to real world prices wont work cause the economics are vastly different. The Stealths are cutting edge technology for us while Star Destroyer are 25,000 year old technology to them. At least thats how I see it.

BrianDavion
22 February 2002, 10:53 AM
yeah, the Empire has THOUSANDS of ISDs, perhaps even MILLIONS (hell, would anyone be too shocked if they found out the empire had a billion ISDs?)

the US air force has, precious few stealth bombers

Grimace
22 February 2002, 05:09 PM
Well, I must admit that I was a little dismayed at the rather inexpensive cost of the large ships. Due to this, I've modified (slightly) the CP to Cost chart. If someone is interested in seeing it, send me a PM or email and I'll fling a copy of the file out to you. Mind you, I haven't highly tested the formula, so I can't say it's perfect, but I *did* raise the cost for CPs over a certain amount.

Emperor Xanderich II
23 February 2002, 03:35 AM
If I remember correctly the Empire had 25,000 ISD'd under its control, as well as a plethora of other ships too.