PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Chewies' End

Rick Vogt
22 February 2002, 04:32 AM
While I am not happy about Chewies' demise or how it happened, I must point out one thing.

I can't for the life of me see Chewie getting into a fight that he can't win, I mean seriously. I fit were that big a fight there would be more people there, and thus he wouldn't get hurt.(at least that's my opinion). So, I want to find out just how you posters think he should have went out. If you don't see an option you like hit the other button and post what type of demise you think he should have had.

Personally I have to go with the way they did it in the book. Chewies' larger than life and anything less would have been a shame.

DirkGreystoke
22 February 2002, 10:29 PM
I disagree. I hated Chewies death in the book for several reasons.

1. It was not believeable. Wookies, as far as I can tell, can jump considerable distances, and Chewie didn't even try to make it. The whole Vong planet-destroying thing was way over the top for me. Adding Chewie's death to it made even less interesting to read.

2. Chewie died for a stupid planet that noone cares about. A hero should die in grander fashion.

3. The decision to kill Chewie was made by and editor, not the author trying to tell a story.

How would I do it? Chewie dies in a real fight with big consequences riding on it. He saves the life or Han or Leia or both, or may all the kids or something.....something....anything that keeps his honor intact. Chewie would start a fight he couldn't win if it meant keeping his life debt.

Sithspawn
24 February 2002, 02:33 AM
Why can no SW author write for aliens? All we ever got was Chewie speaking through a third party, Han, Leia or 3PO. What?! He's a Wookiee, a rather intelligent species, but he's treating like a puppy dog.

I have always wanted a decent Chewie story. I'm talking a real showdown. Unarmed taking on several Coynites, and whooping their a$$es all of the SWU! Half the time Chewie was forgotten and just mentioned in passing to remind readers he was there.

Then they go and drop a planet on his head! Then I closed the book and have not bought a SW book since. It sucked!

How should they have killed off Chewie? I don't care, because his death in any manner would have stopped me reading.

Rick Vogt
24 February 2002, 05:52 AM
Ok, 'im going to reply to that with some simple facts....

1) Yes, it's true that he's always heard through third parties or some other such. Problem is (and let me know if you can figure this out...btw) what does rawll arrwwl mean in wookie? Thus I think we can figure that one out.

2) They did a few ( and I do mean a FEW stories on chewie where he was kinda in the spotlight.) But not enough of them. AGREED!

3) Yeah, the planet on the head was a little much for me to stomach also. But, if you try to tell me that some fringer froom a backwater planet is gonna get the drop on chewie...or even a gang of them....all I can say is BS. He's the bad@$$ of the star wars good guys......nobody is gonna take him. So, in a sense the planet on his head makes me feel a little better about how it ended....no I didn't like it, but hey...at least you can't say...no way..that guy couldn't have beaten chewie.

4) His death in any manner would have stopped you from reading SW huh? Well, I will admit that the SW universe will never be the same....but, if you let the death of a character stop you from caring about something which you supposedly like (or love in my case), you are a finiky fan. Is Luke or any of the others gonna live forever? Hell no, No one does...that's what's so great about the SW universe......Yes, they kicked but, but in the end they are mortal just like you and me. They grow old, they die....and in the end someone new has to come along and fill their shoes.

I LOVE SW, and as long as it remains, so shall my love for SW in all forms.

Tramp
27 February 2002, 09:08 AM
I agree with Rick on this one, No one lives forever, Even Luke will die one day and he's one of my favorate characters. Personally, I think Chewbacca's death was handled perfictly. He died a HERO. Chewie died saving peoples lives. He died saving the life of Han's SON! IF THAT'S NOT FULFILLING A LIFE DEBT, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS! I think it was best summed up by Chewies father in Chewbacca #1 " They say he died in a quake. That a falling moon killed him. But, how can a quake kill a wookie warrior. How can a mere moon be a match for MY SON!" It took a moon to kill him anything less wouldn't have fit.

DarthMalaryush
1 March 2002, 07:53 AM
I have to agree that the wooks death is not something I enjoyed reading, but it was typical Star Wars. In the Star Wars Universe the bad guys don't burn towns down to the ground, they destroy the planet their enemys are on. Rather than just have him shot, or pummeled to death by the Vong, they droped a moon on him, and others.
Now don't you just hate the Vong. I think that was the point. The new great threat kills a well known and liked hero and friend. Now the readers have a reason to hate the Vong along with the other characters.

Rick Vogt
2 March 2002, 05:44 AM
Cool....finally I'm getting some responses with thoughts......thanks everyone....and keep on voting, and letting your take be heard. B)

reliant
5 March 2002, 11:16 AM
I thought chewie's end was kind of sad for such a character. I think it would have been better for chewie to go out in a blaze of glory, something like using the falcon to hold off attacking ships while Han (unconcious) and family escape in a shuttle. Han comes to and realizes that he isn't on board the falcon (and that chewie is missing) and runs to a viewport just in time to see the falcon dive straight into a huge Vong ship that was just about to launch a moon at Coruscant. The Vong ship blows up and chewie saves the day (at the cost of his own life). The way they played out after chewies death in the next few books was bad too. Suddenly han is just about ready to give the falcon to the museum. Too sad... And why exactly did chewies whole family suddenly want to join up with Han because of chewies life debt? I think the debt was paid in full when he saved anakin's life (and cost himself his own).

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 March 2002, 01:29 PM
It's fair:
that some heroes can't go on forever, we do get the sense that they're invincible... Now that's changed:

-Chewie bought the farm. It changed Han in a huge way wich is a major driving force in its own... Even taking Han back to his younger reckless self... something that doesn't happen very often... It's realistic that Han was hugely affected and strained the "happy" solo family workings.

-It creates tension, concern and unsureness. Each new conflict our heroes enter or get into, we nolonger know if they'll survive or not. Often keeps us on edge as to who's next to fall or narrowly survive. Good cliffhanger and suspense builders, rewarding when there's survival and sadness when one perishes in some manor heroic or not. Thats great story telling, plot and storyline to renew a long loved saga.

We already lost Chewie in a manner which even I disagree with, "chewie getting left behind to die or risk dying with him". thats my opinion.

What's unfair is:

What is more worse that Chewie's death??? What is it I'm disturbed by the most??? Why was Chewies death so disturbing??? ---> read below:

The fact that Chewie's death was like the catalysm that started the body count for other characters, heroes and planets. Like a path of dominos, each falling in succesion. Thats the real fact. And it's that very reason why my interest lessens with each new book. Theres less hope and incentive to read as the Tide of events keep on a steep downhill slope. I havn't read Star by Star yet, and I dunno if i want to or not... I've been told a few spoilers and all that I will repeat in here is that it only gets worse. Losing chewie was bad, and this time its worse.

Main Concern:

where do we draw the line? a few planets fall, a few heroes die, thats expected... but where does it end? ... We're keep on losing planets and heroes and other characters at a phenomenal rate in each book. It's nolonger a battle where the tide can still turn at this rate... It's become mass genocide on a galactic scale. How, When, and Where will our heroes be given the chance to turn the tide?

So yeah... If what I hate about chewie's death is actually due to a larger picture of things as I've said in the above paragraphs. (and don't get me started on Mara Jade Skywalker, my fav char... maybe a new topic for this eh?)

reliant
6 March 2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar & Raven
[B
So yeah... If what I hate about chewie's death is actually due to a larger picture of things as I've said in the above paragraphs. (and don't get me started on Mara Jade Skywalker, my fav char... maybe a new topic for this eh?)
[/B]

WHAT?!? Mara Jade dies too? Which book does that happen in? I just started the NJO series so I didn't even know that happened... I just sort of assumed that either she would get better on her own or somehow they would discover a cure... If chewie and mara can buy the farm, WHO'S NEXT?

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
6 March 2002, 05:54 AM
To adress reliant:

She dosn't die at least up to Star by Star (which i've not read yet), but every so often she's near death due to that ill-stricken disease, added with further complications which I won't get into here...

my only complaints about NJO is that we just barely seen Luke & Mara fall in love and admit it to each other in the very last books before NJO... NJO is some 5-7 years after that point and it imediatly starts of with her very ill.... Just aint fair!!!

There... hope i clarified... Now, time to get back on topic and talk about Chewie!!!

Tramp
6 March 2002, 08:10 AM
Mara is now fine and dandy. She's cured totally of her disease and has a healthy baby boy named Ben.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
6 March 2002, 09:23 AM
I started the stray off-topic about mara, ... my fault. 8o

Hence, it's my responsibility to get this de-railment back onto Chewie.

Alright... here goes nothin... :)

How I would have prefered Chewie's death:

The thought of having left chewie behind did have potential for an honorable death. Should the Solo's been surounded by Vong who were bent on getting Anakin, stopping at nothing; chewie could have held them off while buying time to let Anakin & Han get to the Falcon. This would have changed things slightly for Han, but now be redirecting his emotions at the Vong rather than at Anakin.

Tramp
6 March 2002, 05:30 PM
That type of death, while classic and has merit, seems a little too cliche. Personally I Like the way R.. Salvetor handeled Chewies death. It was Original and worked for his character. Dying at the hands of a bunch of Bad guys is OK. But Dying while saving lives from a falling moon? Now, that's heroism and sacrifice!

Dark Knight
16 March 2002, 12:11 AM
Although i'm not a big fan of Chewie's demise i must say that he wasn't done in THAT badly. It could have gone down a bit more heroically rather than him shaking his fist ata falling moon. I would much more have preferred for him to have like saved a kid, from a thrown amphistaff where he covered....say Anakin with his body in order to stop the killing blow, but that's just me.

Grayson MacRae
16 March 2002, 07:01 AM
I was slightly unlucky to find out about how Chewbacca died. I picked up one of the new books out of boredom, and the first time I saw something mentioning his death, I stopped, read it again, then stopped again and read it a third time. I then put the book down, went out, and started from the beginning. Now, where this is all leading:
If it weren't for Michael Stackpole, I would have never really gotten into SW again as heavily as I am now. When the first of the Star Wars novels came out (cronologically after Return of the Jedi), I began to read them. I managed to get through Heir to the Empire, and started to set the SW novels down, because all the plots tended to head along the same lines. Big new Bad guys that cause a lot of trouble and kill countless (nameless) people pop up and make life difficult for the New Republic and all of her heroes, so we see some character developement, broadening of the Jedi order, rise of the ways of the New Republic, and all things are resolved by the end of the book trilogy, if not the book. Ho-Hum. Not that the bad guys weren't bad enough, or the challenges weren't tough enough, but it just didn't... kick me in the head hard enough, I suppose. I actually got to the point I was listening to the ABRIDGED books on tape, for God's sake! Well, back to the matter at hand...
After 10 books (just finished Star by Star and have begun to wade into Dark Journey ), I have found that I can't put the books down. Now, I must admit that it all started with me saying, "WHAT the $%^ ?!?, they killed Chewie!" I have to admit that I am in rapture over this series. The characters are facing an enemy who keeps up with them every step of the way whenever they try something new to turn the tide of the war. Not only are the Yuuzhan Vong just big bad guys, they have been created into a society just like the New Republic, with ideals, corruption, good guys, bad guys, and just guys. I know that I've reiterated every point that has been expressed so far, from being pissed off about what happenned, to the fact that most people would be hard pressed to find a more grandious, cheesy, impersonal, elaborate, honorable, meaningless, fulfilling (yes, I know I've just covered them again) way for a main character such as the loyal and honorable Chewbacca, hero of the rebellion, father, friend, teacher, comic relief, fearless warrior, co-pilot, and sentient being, to finally cark it. What I'm trying to say is this: look what has become of it.
Keep reading, and enjoy.
Oh, and here's your soapbox back.
"Cha ghabh mi 'n corr, tapa leibh. " (Translation:"I'll have no more, thank you.")
Keep the ideas coming.

Rick Vogt
16 March 2002, 01:25 PM
Friends, and fellow board members........Grayson is the gm of our current campaign......Welcome to the board, and thanks for posting.....I knew you'd wind up posting on this subject ;) .......Anyone else got thoughts on Chewie???

BTW - Love the Quote Grayson.

Jedi Master Antilles
16 March 2002, 01:34 PM
Mara Jades overrated...personally chewie's death sucked ,at least anakin's was very heroic.chewies should have been done better IMO.but then again i'm jus venting cause they kill off all the cool characters ,anakin,chewie...if kyp buys it.i'm done with NJO.

darth maim
16 March 2002, 02:44 PM
Actually I'm thinking that by the end Luke is going to buy it... opinions?

paul g
16 March 2002, 02:58 PM
i can see luke becomeing the benevolent spirit guide for the new jedi, the guideing angel

frozenjedi
16 March 2002, 07:26 PM
I dont want Luke to die in the NJO books.

why ?? Chewie was a supporting character in the SW universe and look at the drama created by his passing.

I'll put it simply - there is no author other than George Lucas that can write him off and not have everyone say " thats total BS. "
there is no death that would be appropriatly heroic for the greatest hero in SW.

he should just get old and fade away ... growing old and shrinking into a small green creature with a cane.... what was yoda 800 yrs old when he joined the force?? that gives us plenty of time with the tattoine all star.

darth maim
16 March 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by frozenjedi
I dont want Luke to die in the NJO books.

why ?? Chewie was a supporting character in the SW universe and look at the drama created by his passing.

I'll put it simply - there is no author other than George Lucas that can write him off and not have everyone say " thats total BS. "
there is no death that would be appropriatly heroic for the greatest hero in SW.

he should just get old and fade away ... growing old and shrinking into a small green creature with a cane.... what was yoda 800 yrs old when he joined the force?? that gives us plenty of time with the tattoine all star.

First of all Yoda was another race therefore longer lived. I think they are going to ice Luke for a couple of reasons...

1) Han's inner circle should for the most part remain safe from here out (this includes his wife and children)

2) I believe that Jacen is going to step up and be the next Luke Skywalker

3) it will reunite the Jedi Order.

4) Ben will be the next Skywalker all star Jedi. (when Luke stepped up Vader died)...

Just my thoughts... and it makes sense to me.

frozenjedi
17 March 2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by darth maim

First of all Yoda was another race therefore longer lived. I think they are going to ice Luke for a couple of reasons...

1) Han's inner circle should for the most part remain safe from here out (this includes his wife and children)

2) I believe that Jacen is going to step up and be the next Luke Skywalker

3) it will reunite the Jedi Order.

4) Ben will be the next Skywalker all star Jedi. (when Luke stepped up Vader died)...

Just my thoughts... and it makes sense to me.

1a. : i understand yodas a different race ... i just find it hard to believe that Lucas would allow Luke to get offed .

1 : i agree ... but i heard a dirty rumor about two of his kids in an NJO book i havent read yet . apparently one fate is worse than the other but i digress.

2 : i really like Jacen , and it would be nice to see him step it up ,and find his way into adulthood as a jedi knight.

3: yup kill the leader and the rest will fall into line - but will it simply prove that Kyp's side is right ? are we going to have all these jedi so hell bent on exacting revenge on the Vong that they pick up Kyp's tennets ?

4: Ben is a mystery , but hopefully we can read books on his becoming a great jedi like his namesake and father.

Rick Vogt
17 March 2002, 12:01 PM
:rolleyes: Uh....are we like totally off the subject or what? :p

Anyways.......lets have some more views on chewie! B)

darth maim
17 March 2002, 02:18 PM
Okay sorry to post off subject but this is the last time.. I hope you don't mind.

Originally posted by frozenjedi
1 : i agree ... but i heard a dirty rumor about two of his kids in an NJO book i havent read yet . apparently one fate is worse than the other but i digress.

I assume you are talking about the twins... without going heavily into spoilers here let's just say that one of them is just fine the other is still a mystery but I have a feeling that this is what will make the Jedi grow up into their true knighthood.

2 : i really like Jacen , and it would be nice to see him step it up ,and find his way into adulthood as a jedi knight.

Jacen really seems to remind me of Luke... this is why I think he will step up and take charge after Luke's passing.

3: yup kill the leader and the rest will fall into line - but will it simply prove that Kyp's side is right ? are we going to have all these jedi so hell bent on exacting revenge on the Vong that they pick up Kyp's tennets ?

I think it will be done in such a way as to prove truly heroic as well as hit home that his methods, while not totally agreed upon by the others, is the best way to be. Perhaps a reckless action by one of the Kyp pack will ultimately cause his death and really show the flaws in a reckless warrior Jedi order.

Soontide
21 March 2002, 04:27 PM
When I picked up Vector Prime, I was ready to read a whole new series of adventures, hopefully about the solo children. I was shocked when I finished that chapter. I put the book down and didn't pick it back up again for a few days. Those days I spent depressed. This may sound extreme, but I remember going to the movies with my dad, in may of 1977(yea, I'm showing my age) and watching this big, new thing called star wars. I was scared of the big harry guy. He looked like a monster to me back then, but as the years passed, and the other movies came out, I began to really like the big fuzzball. I came to accept him as a member of the star wars family. I was likewise upset that there weren't more chewie based stories. I wanted to know more about his home planet(finally found out about it in the han solo trilogy, the background one, not the corsec one) and loved what they did.
I finally picked Vector Prime back up and finished it, the entire time trying to find out how they were going to suprise us with the wooks brave return. Maybe he was captured by the vong and awaiting rescue or got off on some other ship. But it wasn't to happen. I almost didn't buy the next book.
then, I started thinking. What did he really die for? to same Anakin? or han?
I finally came to this conclusion: Yes, Wookies can jump quite a way, but not strait up and deffinately not with a young human over his shoulder. He threw anakin to han to save him, and then didn't jump to save han. He knew that Han could never hold him, but would not have let go. They both would have fallen back to the planets surface and everyone in the Falcon would have died. Chewie did not jump because he knew that to do so would have been a death sentence for Han. He saved him the only way he knew how. by surrendering to his own death. And that was the honor and courage that I had alway associated with chewbacca, the courage to sacrifice himself for his buddy han.
Sorry for the length

Nova Spice
21 March 2002, 06:26 PM
One word: Amen.

Finally someone was able to put into words why I thought Chewie's death was acceptable and was the perfect thing to happen to the Star Wars Universe. The NJO is by far the best Star Wars novels out there and to me, Chewie got the position of hitting all of us where it hurts. I admit, I hated to see him go, but that just makes the Vong that MUCH more menacing. And I think a lot of the complaints about Chewbacca's death stem from the fact that the The Heroes of Yavin all survived in the classic trilogy and there was never any doubt if they were going to live. Now, this coupled with Anakin's death creates a storyline that draws us into the next novel. When I finished Dark Journey, I was left gaping at what would happen in Rebel Dream. The ending is a definite cliffhanger and I believe before its all said and done, the NJO will leave us with the biggest surprise of all based on what the series true goal was. And I imagine that goal will stem from Vector Prime when that big shaggy wook gave all he had on a planet that no one really cared about...

Tramp
22 March 2002, 09:01 AM
Nova, Soontide, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Jedi Master Antilles
26 March 2002, 09:12 PM
IMO they still could've did chewies death better, personally a planet getting dropped on him is kinda like overkill...and yep i was a bit bothered when they killed him off, but fortunately anakin made the NJO series interesting after that,but since they've killed him off..i haven't picked up a single NJO book since,because quite frankly...out of the "classic heroes" only han and chewie were the ones i liked,and out of NJO anakin and kyp...so the appeal of the series has left me..i dont care about reading if jaina goes to the darkside...or what happens to jacen,or any of the others for that matter.the death of chewie was acceptable because no one lives forever..but the death of anakin was not acceptable..and yes i am well aware that he died a hero and all that..but IMO opinion they want someone to kill someone off..make it jacen or jaina...or hell kill luke or mara off..that would make a statement.

Sithspawn
27 March 2002, 07:07 AM
Terras Jadeonar & Raven really hit the nail on the head. The NJO SW Universe is not the same SW Universe I fell in love with. I certainly couldn't role-play in that era.

Chewie's death was heroic yes, but it would have had more impact if the planet had some meaning. I can't even recall the name of the rock that fell on him. It was a 'for the sake of' world. Now if it had been saving Anakin & his own family from the demise of Kashyyk, or Coruscant with the bad guy of the calibre of Vader or Maul then it could have been more easily accepted. If Vader had killed any of the major hero's I think it would have been accepted because, well, Vader.

Yes I stopped reading NJO at Chewies death, but I know the story. And just because I don't like NJO does not mean I'm not a Star Wars fan!

darth maim
27 March 2002, 09:51 AM
The particular planet full of people they were saving shouldn't matter at all. Basically they stayed to the last second saving a crapload of people from death and Chewie bought it saving yet another... Come on man, it served as a way to show just how caring and heroic he really was. It also gave Han a personal stake in this war and gave a little space opera turmoil between several members of the Solo family.

Korwin Blade
27 March 2002, 01:16 PM
I personally don't like the super all powerful unstoppable race like the vong, forgive me, but sounds to much like the borg from star trek and not enough star wars. Period. So not only am I not going to read the NJO, but I am not going to even run a campaign in it. Don't get me wrong with out somthing to fight against you notonly dont have a story you dont have a game, but i believe that the sith and empire will never die out but will keep haunting the gallaxy for a very long long time. And we don't need the vong to keep us interested. So I ignore NJO and Chewie still lives!!!! That's my 1/2 cent of non-sense. B)

darth maim
27 March 2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Korwin Blade
I personally don't like the super all powerful unstoppable race like the vong, forgive me, but sounds to much like the borg from star trek and not enough star wars. Period. So not only am I not going to read the NJO, but I am not going to even run a campaign in it. Don't get me wrong with out somthing to fight against you notonly dont have a story you dont have a game, but i believe that the sith and empire will never die out but will keep haunting the gallaxy for a very long long time. And we don't need the vong to keep us interested. So I ignore NJO and Chewie still lives!!!! That's my 1/2 cent of non-sense. B)

I'm sure the writers of NJO would love to have used sith and all that but Lucase pretty much flat said NO SITH... they wanted to write something on par with the menace of darksiders... hmmm... crimelords and the like don't really stand against Jedi too well. So we need something that can possibly stand against the Jedi and it can't be a dark force master... well what if it's an invading race who are immune to the force? That could work...

and so you have the NJO.

DirkGreystoke
27 March 2002, 08:25 PM
Sithspawn, I agree with you last post on this topic. The NJO is not the same as the star wars that I know and love. And Chewie's death was for a stupid no name planet that no one cares about.

Ravnor
12 June 2006, 04:34 AM
i think that his death was good. lets face it, how many charicters do you know of that take a colliding planet to kill them!
Though i think a huge baster fight would have been a good end to him.

Talon Razor 'GM'
13 June 2006, 06:40 PM
Man, dredging up some really, really old threads.

Rostek
14 June 2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Talon Razor 'GM'
Man, dredging up some really, really old threads.

Well, it is encouraged to search for relevent-to-one's intention threads instead of starting one's own. This is just an... extreme example ;).

Ravnor
15 June 2006, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Rostek

Well, it is encouraged to search for relevent-to-one's intention threads instead of starting one's own. This is just an... extreme example ;).

thankyou

Talon Razor 'GM'
15 June 2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Rostek

Sure, let's bring up a four-year old thread to say something obvious and said a million times before about an overly-discussed four-year old book. :rolleyes:

You said it. Thread necroing is pretty extreme. :D

Rostek
15 June 2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Talon Razor 'GM'

Sure, let's bring up a four-year old thread to say something obvious and said a million times before about an overly-discussed four-year old book. :rolleyes:

You said it. Thread necroing is pretty extreme. :D

Quite-- the occasional "Raise Thread" is all good, though I raise eyebrows at "True Thread Resurrection" and balk completely at "Thread Reincarnate" B).

Rick Vogt
16 June 2006, 02:58 AM
Hey, reviving old threads can be a good thing. Especially if it's something that really interests you, or you have an opinion on.B)

gmjabreson
16 June 2006, 03:30 AM
nothing like a good fight between Chewie and Bossk. Bossk finally gets his revenge against Chewie...............Nah. I don't think Bossk could ever take Chewie 1 on 1, but it'd be a good fight to see or read about, since they talk about the hatred between the two in so many of the old D6 books and other sources, yet never show what would happen if those two were to ever have met on a battlefield.

Ravnor
16 June 2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
nothing like a good fight between Chewie and Bossk. Bossk finally gets his revenge against Chewie...............Nah. I don't think Bossk could ever take Chewie 1 on 1, but it'd be a good fight to see or read about, since they talk about the hatred between the two in so many of the old D6 books and other sources, yet never show what would happen if those two were to ever have met on a battlefield.

i agree, perhaps a dog fight between the two of them, would have been more equal.

Darth_Xanthor
20 June 2006, 10:06 PM
WARNING!!! INCOMING HUMOR!!!

My friends and I have a theroy. CHewie isn't dead. At the last moment, he aimed his bowcaster at the mood and fired. He rolled two nat twenty, and a perfect 100 on the crit table....this meant a sudden death. The moon exploded, saving Chewie's life, but burning all of his hair off in the process. CHewie is alive, just hiding until his hair grows back....he's embarrassed.

WARNING!!! HUMOR ENDING!!

But seriously, I didn't like the fact that he died....but I like how the universe neededa moon to kill him. Seems almost fitting for wookie of his size and grandeur.

stoic_75
24 June 2006, 05:08 PM
Stoic_75 here! And with a grand idea for Chewie's demise: A startled Jar Jar Binks drops a blaster rifle and it accidentally discharges a bolt to the poor wookie's face. Jar Jar could be screwing around in the hold of the falcon when Chewbacca yells at him from behind. Jar Jar yelps "Oooooh no!" and fumbles the blaster. Hilarity then ensues.

I think this ending works much better with the new stories being churned out as well as the D20 system. Gotta love those critical hits.

Besides, isn't the new Trilogy all about the cheap laugh?

Originally posted by Rick Vogt
While I am not happy about Chewies' demise or how it happened, I must point out one thing.

I can't for the life of me see Chewie getting into a fight that he can't win, I mean seriously. I fit were that big a fight there would be more people there, and thus he wouldn't get hurt.(at least that's my opinion). So, I want to find out just how you posters think he should have went out. If you don't see an option you like hit the other button and post what type of demise you think he should have had.

Personally I have to go with the way they did it in the book. Chewies' larger than life and anything less would have been a shame.

PsychoInfiltrator
24 June 2006, 05:28 PM
Quite-- the occasional "Raise Thread" is all good, though I raise eyebrows at "True Thread Resurrection" and balk completely at "Thread Reincarnate" .

Quite. And 'Thread Reincarnate(ing) For Purposes of Off-Topic Discussion' is really, really, out.

Especially with the 'Spam Indicator' spell revealing an average result of 'Dubious' for the most recent ten posts.

But hey, I'm just a wandering wizard, as yet unable to even perform a successful 'Reprimand Spammer' spell. Surely a 'Threat of Forum Change: Target C&M' spell is well out of my league. And certainly not deserved for the 4 year old posts.

EDIT: Perhaps a 'Thread Lock' spell, also well out of my league, would be more appropriate?

tauchiss
24 June 2006, 05:49 PM
I thought the whole NJO series was permated (sp?) with a feeling of melancoly (sp?). Also a feeling of might-haves. I still wish Jacen snuffed it not Anikan. I'm still wondering what would have happened between Ani and Tahari. I wish they had the chance to become what they would have. I did like Chewies death. In the end, no mortal killed him, and he was defiant to the last.

GuyNamedBob
17 July 2006, 07:35 PM
I think Chewie shoulda become an Al'Qaida at the end strapped 5 thermals to his back rip open a vong eat its intestine use it skin as a disguise and then get in a ship and blow the !@%$# out of it!

Uron Teff
23 July 2006, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by GuyNamedBob
I think Chewie shoulda become an Al'Qaida at the end strapped 5 thermals to his back rip open a vong eat its intestine use it skin as a disguise and then get in a ship and blow the !@%$# out of it!

I guess this would be less heroic than what he did by saving Anakin's life. Altogether I think Chewie's end was what I had expected, a heroic dead.

Hush
27 July 2006, 09:07 PM
Personally, I wanted to see Chewie going out in a huge fight. I'm taking he knows the jig is up so he's going for broke. Climbing claw slashing, arm ripping mayhem, bow caster fury.