PDA

View Full Version : How the New Republic could defeat the Vong

Superdog
23 February 2002, 04:01 PM
Here's my ultimate plan on how the Jedi and NR could defeat the Vong. Caputre a Vong ship intact! This may be dificult considering their inherent fanatiscm, but certainly not impossible. Send aboard Tahiri and some protocol droids to help gain access to the Vong computers. This is the tough part, whether or not this would be possible is debateable. Perhaps enlist some YV slaves to help with the computers. Transport the ship's computers off the ship if neccesary and get some techs working on it. All you need is a YV computer off a ship, I'm sure in time it could be decipherd and opened. Get YV starcharts, proceed with hit and run attacks on YV targets. Why no one has come up with a plan like this is beyond me, yes I'm aware it's fiction, but I bet you could beat the Vong if you could nab a set of their Starcharts, with all their bases and the locations of their worldships pointed out. Comments?

BrianDavion
23 February 2002, 07:16 PM
well.. problem is, to capture YV computers, the YV would have to HAVE a computer equivilant. and they'd have to get it to work with NR computers etc, sides the YV have basicly abandoned their old galaxy.

fact is that the YV control only a section of the galaxy.

it's INFINATLY more complicated then that.

hit and run strikes only work if the defences are slow to get going.

Enlightened Bystander
24 February 2002, 01:54 AM
Also the bases are extremly well defended and probably have Yammosks. The NR are having trouble fighting the frontline Vong, let alone slipping task forces behind their lines to attack massive fortress-worlds.

BrianDavion
24 February 2002, 09:02 AM
well, they DID manage a bheind the lines strike force in star by star but the casualty losses where rather heavy.

one Incredialy powerful Jedi killed and another captured

Otonashi
4 March 2002, 09:51 AM
It would also do a great deal to improve the Systems chances of survival if people stopped turning on the Jedi.

Grand Admiral Jason
4 March 2002, 02:23 PM
You have to use ion cannons to capture ships, and I don't know if Ion cannons work on the Vong.

Nova Spice
6 March 2002, 10:45 AM
New Repubic? What New Republic? The New Republic died when Coruscant fell.
The galaxy will only be able to defeat theVong when the Jedi learn how to sense them through the Force. Somehow, the Vong stand outside the Force...something is blocking it...for nothing is truly outside the Force. That is the key.
Then the remnant fleets of the former NR and the Empire sweep in, led by Wedge and Pellaeon and we let things play out. This series is gettng darker and darker..but it truly is cool as all get outs!

phoenixbrose
6 March 2002, 08:49 PM
Since Ion cannons shut down mechanical systems, I doubt they'd have much effect on the YV since they don't use mechanical things. Everything they use is biological and organic.

I agree that the Jedi will come out on top once they learn to peirce the veil of darkness surrounding the YV. And I think the key is Tahiri. Think about what Ikrit said about her and Anakin when they were trying to escape from Yavin IV about the two being one whole. Anakin figured out how to see them, maybe he can "help" her figure it out from where he is now...;)

Dark Knight
6 March 2002, 09:03 PM
i said this another thread but it simply boils down to 2 words that would beat the vong

DEATH STAR

They still have the plans....and im not thinking the remenant would be to anal about them breaking the treaty what with the result being able to pull their collective arses out of the fire.
But those are just my thoughts.

BrianDavion
6 March 2002, 10:22 PM
the NR won't use the DS...... it's WAY too politicly hazardous

Nova Spice
7 March 2002, 09:31 AM
And considering that Death Stars aren' exactly "over the counter" things you pull off a shelf at your local pharmacy. They cost just a bit of money....;)

wolverine
7 March 2002, 11:17 AM
Ion's do harm life forms. Remember what happened to Mara in dark fleet rising, when she edjected right into the path of an incomming ion bolt. Fried her nerves......

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
7 March 2002, 12:31 PM
good idea there Dark Knight... I think your onto something... Every other weapon and tactic has failed miserably sofar...
Death Stars were costly since they were designed to be a mobile battle station , housing full complements of troops & weaponry... Same goes for the Eclipse class star destroyer (a huge honkin SD that dwarfed the SSD class which had a superlaser built into it, from the comic books)...

Though you wouldn't need to build a whole death star or Eclipse SD... just the superlaser itself...

This is what you would need:
a mobile casing for the super laser
a power core for it
Hyperdrive & sublight drives
minimal engineer, piloting & control crew
minimal crew cabins & operations cabin
some shield generators (useless while recharge phase though)

It would be very defensles in between shots but it would be effective ... once the vong start taking hits, they'll realize quick what their target priority is... once that happens... Bon Voyage Ol' Superlaser

It would at least help in picking up galactic morality by having some several large Vong fleet ships nuked... and the super laser would get nuked sooner or later and it'd nlolonger be a worry to the galaxy. Yet, the Imperial Remnant are in truce with the new republic still, so it could be a joint effort & crewed by both peoples...

For argument's sake, lets say that the superlaswr survives it's few encounters... it's gonna be even more "wanted handed over" than the jedi... it's gonna be a marked item...

Question: while still in use, would the vong may be able to construct black holes big enough to absorb the massive energy????

interesting huh? B)

Grand Admiral Jason
8 March 2002, 05:33 AM
I don't really think the NR would agree with the Super Laser. But, since this is an emergancey, I think the NR would be willing to try anything.
:) :D

wolverine
8 March 2002, 11:59 AM
On a side note... I just thought. The maw cluster. It is a group (does anyone know how many) of black holes put so close together that they cannot be considered naturally formed. Witht eh vong's penchant for using things that create them, could they have been responsible for it's creation? Or could they be the decendents of those that did??

As for superlasers, remember the Darksaber project? And what about using CPS again (center point station)????

BrianDavion
8 March 2002, 01:27 PM
does the NR even exist anymore????

Marusame
8 March 2002, 02:17 PM
Doesn't Leia say something about the NR always existing in her
(in)famous speech before the taking of Coruscant?

madpoet
9 March 2002, 06:20 AM
The fact is, a YV ship has already been captured and used against the YV to some good effect. However the plan to use Tahiri to essentially "hack" into YV systems wouldn't work. YV memory organisms recognize authorized user by scent, and in some cases, taste. Neither Tahiri, nor any YV slaves or Shamed ones would have the proper authorization.

Never mind the fact that the YV home systems would take at least several generations to reach.

As far as superweapons are concerned, I don't think the NR has access to any, or the resources needed to build one in time to deal with the threat. Esspecially when you consider how much of the galaxy the YV have conquered in just a couple of years. And I believe they mentioned the Centerpoint Station was no longer funtioning properly in "Dark Journeys".

All in all, I think in order to defeat the YV, its going to take more than we've seen the NR or the Jedi do so far. It'll be interesting to watch.

Grand Admiral Jason
9 March 2002, 08:17 AM
If I was the NR, I would try to contact the Ssi-Ruuk and ask them for help. We could tell them that Vong life energies are moer powerfull than Human life energies. But, they might not help the NR...

BrianDavion
9 March 2002, 08:39 AM
yeah now if only the Chiss hadn't whiped em out :)

Nova Spice
10 March 2002, 03:34 PM
True, but take it easy on Jason, he is a bit younger than most of us. ;)
Actually, the NR or as I said earlier, the Resistance won't defeat the Vong. I believe that the Jedi must either find a way to get past whatever puts the Vong outside the Force or a third party must enter to save the day. Be it the Chiss, Remnant, or other.

Soontide
11 March 2002, 08:47 PM
There has been one thing bothering me about the entire problem with the Vong. We have seen almost every ship out there go up against the Vong except one, and according to the Xwing series, the NR has it. the Lusankya(sp?) one of the origional super star destroyers that was captured by the new republic. That would be an awsome show of power by the NR and also hard for the vong to counter.

Where is it? I don't know, but if anyone has news of its destruction or other mishap that may have caused it to be out of action, please let me know. and, let me know what you think of the idea

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
11 March 2002, 08:52 PM
that did cross my mind too at one point... as was said about the super weapons originally.... there definately needs to be some brought in for any hope of any kind... There's gotta be some super weapon out there thats been "convieniantly" forgoten about ...

reliant
12 March 2002, 06:35 AM
Personally I agree that they should start working on a DS. Now if that is too much money or can't be done, what about something more like the Darksaber? Just the DS superlaser and some engines... Granted you lose the ability to defend it easily, and the vong would definately make it a target, but it would be good for a while at least. When did Coruscant fall? I just started into the NJO series, but there goes my hope of the NR winning in the book I'm in now... In the last thread I read I found out Corellia fell (that whole space station thing didn't work out?) and now I find out that Coruscant fell too... Great... Any other good news? If the NR has really lost all those systems I don't really see how they could EVER raise enough force to get rid of the Vong. Which only leave the Jedi. I'm not sure if there are enough of them to pull it off either. Especially since the Vong are invisible to the force.

Otonashi
19 March 2002, 12:59 PM
It's true the Jedi are spread thin, and those that we have sworn to protect are turning us in for a handfull of credits. Well what happens when a Jedi can no longer handle the betrayal? The darkside steps in. And then the hunted becomes the hunter, tracking down the peace bregade and using alchemy on them to create a new army. Horrible creations that crave Vong flesh.

Dark Knight
19 March 2002, 03:27 PM
coruscant fell in star by star. and as far as I'm concerned as long as the remaining NR, Imp's,and Hapans would work together they could easily build a superweapon or 2 to save their collective cans from the vong heat.

Nova Spice
19 March 2002, 04:03 PM
Yeah, where is the Lusankya? Although I seriously doubt one ship would make too much of a difference considering how the Vong have millions mybe billions and the NR has been whittled down to a point that for every five ships lost only one is replaced. That's not a good thing mind you! ;)

Soontide
19 March 2002, 07:55 PM
One possibility in defeating the vong is the much used(at least in the last few books) jedi battle meld. The emperor used it to make the imperial navy more effective in battle and its influence allowed unshielded, made by the lowest bidder ships(tie fighters) take on and do well against heavier armed and shielded ships(Xwings and Ywings). Evidence of this is the battle of Endor in RotJ. When the emperor was killed, the imperial forces started getting their collective butts beaten. The meld was broken and the coordination of the fleet was destroyed.
The Vong have shown that they are simularly melded through the Yamosks and that when that communion is broken, they loose cohesion. In combination with disrupting the Yamosk, the jedi should look into the idea of bringing the pilots and captians of the NR navy into their meld. it would heighten the coordination of the fleet, improve the tactics of the fighter pilots and overwhelm the vong with their own game. It worked very well in Star by Star(those who have read the book will know where, those who haven't read it, its really good one of the best so far). This will save the galaxy better than anything else. maybe the Lusyanka will help as well, but "the power of that super ship is nothing beside the power of the force" to paraphrase a well known line from star wars.

reliant
20 March 2002, 05:16 AM
Hey I just thought of something. What about the sun crusher? Granted they dropped the ship down onto that gas giant, but I bet they still have the plans somewhere...

QWERTY
20 March 2002, 05:39 AM
Ithink if all the galyic bodies abnned together they would beat the vong to a standstill. Then wait 15 to 20 years for Ben skywalker to grow up and chuck him at them. Also if anyone planes to use the Darksaber thing Mordain did some sort of alternate universe where luke turns to the dark and doesnt like the death star Mk2 so he turns it into a ship

Heres the link
http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1025

the Lusyanka might make anapperance in Aaron allston books
the Sun crusher is in the maw cluster

Otonashi
20 March 2002, 09:48 AM
In TPM Mace Windo made a reference to the prophecy of “the one who would bring balance to the force”. We have been lead to believe that this individual was not Anakin but Luke Skywalker. Luke has contemplated the dark side, and with a little help from his friends returned to the light. I believe that this is what will be required to drive back the Vong. Some sort of balance between the existing powers including the Sith.
The Sith had an effective war droid, legions of super monsters, and a command of the force. True they were total megalomaniacs, with a pension for torture and mayhem, but right now the Vong are giving the Sith legacy of terror and domination a serious run for their money. What is needed now is for Master Skywalker to show us what he learned during his brief tour of the Dark Side.

Phht
20 March 2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Otonashi
In TPM Mace Windo made a reference to the prophecy of “the one who would bring balance to the force”. We have been lead to believe that this individual was not Anakin but Luke Skywalker. Luke has contemplated the dark side, and with a little help from his friends returned to the light. I believe that this is what will be required to drive back the Vong. Some sort of balance between the existing powers including the Sith.
The Sith had an effective war droid, legions of super monsters, and a command of the force. True they were total megalomaniacs, with a pension for torture and mayhem, but right now the Vong are giving the Sith legacy of terror and domination a serious run for their money. What is needed now is for Master Skywalker to show us what he learned during his brief tour of the Dark Side.

Heck, if the DSSB is to be believed, there are dozens or more Dark Side Marauders and other Dark Side people in the galaxy. Why not call a truce between the light/dark sides until the Vong are totally defeated?
Besides, you're forgetting Kyp. He fell to the dark side, and he seems to love using Alter Mind on people and he also can do Force Lightning. Kyp knows some dark side stuff as well as Luke. And also, Kam Solusar (sp?) used to be a dark sider. And wasn't Zekk a dark sider for a bit before abandoning that path and becoming a bounty hunter? ^_-

Phht
I need to create a signature. >_>;;

Soontide
20 March 2002, 04:56 PM
The sun crusher(which is at the heart of Yavin, not the moon, but the gas giant) has been addressed and put aside. The problem with a conventional superweapon is that the populace still remember the destruction of Aleraan and what the Death Star was capable of. Noone would stand for another to be built, and much less, for the government to be in control of it. Besides, Would anyone really trust Borsk Fey'La with a weapon of that power?8o

reliant
21 March 2002, 06:21 AM
First off, I think QWERTY is right. After I thought about it a bit, did't the sun crusher did get tossed into the maw after someone dragged it up out of yavin with the force and then used it to destroy a few systems? Wasn't that Kyp?

Second, what about a virus or some kind of genetic disease? Hell, the vong use them on the jedi, why not return the favor? Maybe create an organism that feeds on vong flesh (but not on humans). Or maybe radiation? Since the vong are all anti-technology it might stand to reason that they don't have much experience with high levels of radiation. Nuke em!

Also, I agree with you soontide, Fey'la is NOT someone I would trust with a sharp rock, let alone a super weapon, but since he's running the show what choice does the NR have?

Tramp
21 March 2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Soontide
The sun crusher(which is at the heart of Yavin, not the moon, but the gas giant) has been addressed and put aside. The problem with a conventional superweapon is that the populace still remember the destruction of Aleraan and what the Death Star was capable of. Noone would stand for another to be built, and much less, for the government to be in control of it. Besides, Would anyone really trust Borsk Fey'La with a weapon of that power?8o

The Suncrusher was at the heart of Yavin for a time, then Kyp extracted it for his rampage. It was later plunged into a Black hole in the Maw and was destroyed.

wolverine
21 March 2002, 11:33 AM
Use more ships with grav well projectors...
Drop napalm on their ground forces..
Use flame throwers.

How would you like your vong.
Rare, medium well or extra crispy?

BrianDavion
21 March 2002, 02:40 PM
introducing a virus that attacks the ving would be nasty in the short run but they'd quickly develop a counter I fear

Soontide
27 March 2002, 10:18 PM
Tramp and Reliant correction is noted and I admit that I didn't do all of my homework on that one(smacks hand for giving incorrect info)

As far as the biological agent, you don't attack a circle of hackers with a computer virus. chances are, they would intercept it and turn it against you. The NR's best chance against the vong is to unite the people of the galaxy with the jedi and go after the vong full tilt. The problem seems to have been the NR's reluctance to take on the threat head on. They did it a Coruscant, but it was too little, to late. Now that its gotten to the point that the NR is back to the point that it was as the Rebellion, I think things will progress faster and we will begin to see more offense from the NR remnant military.

I also see the NR remnant going to their old enemies for aid. The Emperial Remnant. That could turn the tide of the battle quickly. I do believe that Paellion is till out there.B)

Nova Spice
2 April 2002, 07:45 PM
You know that Pellaeon is out there...the Empire has held up to some probing attacks by the Vong if I remember carefully. I believe the Vong tried to take down Yaga Minor once, but wound up getting pulverized by the System Defense Fleet there. If you remember, Pellaeon did help crush the Vong at Ithor, albeit Ithor was doomed. Mark my words....Pellaeon and the Empire will be returning soon and will more than likely play THE vital role in defeating the Vong's military. I bet ole Pellaeon shows up in Rebel Stand....
Can you imagine a counter attack by the Imperials coming from the Corporate Sector behind enemy lines while the New Republic military attacks Coruscant and the Core, along with Wedge and his Resistance(a.k.a Rebel Alliance). Those three forces and the Jedi could regain a lot of "lost" worlds in a hurry....to me, that's the NR (or what's left of it) best chance!

Mathis Kharr
2 April 2002, 10:07 PM
i say if you wanna wipe out the Vong make nanomachines, the ultimate heratic form of weaponry against the vong. think of it. the vong hate machines to find out they had micromachines in thier bodies they would probably kill themselves factor in that the machines could be programed to attack the vong anatamy and there you go the perfect weapon. delivery is easy just have a payload of the little guys in a warhead launch it into a ship and blamo they spread like wildfire

Otonashi
3 April 2002, 05:14 AM
Nanomachines…excellent. Rather than have these little buggers just roam randomly through a Vong’s body, wouldn’t it be great if you could target specific organs. Say for example, a type of nanomachine that affected the higher brain functions. Use them to get the infected Vong to perform actions of behalf of the New Republic, ala bug in the ear from Star Trek II. Then the madness would set it and the infected Vongers, would rip themselves to shreds. Now where do we get nanomachines? I think that I remember something about them from one of the old west end books, but nothing along this scale. So who makes them and who makes the delivery system?

reliant
3 April 2002, 05:35 AM
Personally I like Lando's droids. The NR just needs to make tons and tons of battle droids and then send them to the planets held by the Vong. The Vong go nuts when they see them, and attack them wildly so this gets them out of hiding where they can be killed more easilly. Besides, the thud bugs and razor bugs don't really seem to hurt the droids much... AND the NR already seems to know how to handle the Vong ships in space, they just need to get the Chiss and Imperial Remnant to join in the fight and I think they would have a good chance of making a big comeback. The drawback? What do you do about the imperial remnant after the vong are gone? I'm sure they'd want something for their troubles...

madpoet
3 April 2002, 05:49 AM
I agree with Reliant. Lando's droids have already been proven effective against the YV. I especially enjoyed the programmed "battle cry" used in "Rebel Dream". Unfortunately, I think the widespread use of these droids would only cause the YV to rally together to destroy the abominations. In the end, like most conquerers, the YV will be destroyed from within. Political strategies, a crumbling of their belief system, and outright betrayal will be the fall of the Yuuzhan Vong.

Otonashi
3 April 2002, 06:42 AM
But in the mean time, I'm willing to throw anything at the Vong, alchemy, droids, death stars, until the Vong dismantle themselves

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
4 April 2002, 11:16 PM
good point reliant ... If the Imperial Remnant do hand the finale blow to defeat the Vong, what will want in return?

Interesting eh? right now all we see is doom & loss... when the Vong are gone the future once again will be unseen...

Hmm, there wan't any detailed reports disclosed of how the I.R. held their own against the vong... So who knows? do they have a super weapon or two to serve as an ACE up their sleeve?

Or was it just to their superior military hierchy kept in tact, being able to effeiciently with concentrated force repell the vong? Maybe thats the key? If you think about it, the N.R's military division is nothing compared to the Empire's of the time before... too much bearacracy overhead for it to be an effective fighting weapon...

I dunno, but thats my guesses... and no, i havn't even read star by star yet ... :p

Rouge8
5 April 2002, 07:27 PM
Heck, they should. get the Chiss and work on a big project and poof! A superweapon in control of someone like Thrawn. Now the Empire will Rule Again!

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
5 April 2002, 10:44 PM
Heheh ... Chiss ... cool idea! :)

Could be an excellent way for the galaxy to see them as better beings than what Thrawn did to make an impression on the galaxy ...

At this point, I'm definately beleiving it'll be a non N.R. force saving the galaxy from the vong

Rouge8
6 April 2002, 06:21 PM
Thats definitly obvius.

fury
6 April 2002, 08:59 PM
I (and many others I presume) are really tired of superweapon-of-the-week saves/ruins the day plot lines. Not any real chance of a decent fight there, is it?

By the sounds of it, the IR, Chiss, and Hapan are gonna sit it out and try to lay low enough so as not to be targeted.

There are a few loose threads not dealt with in the stories so far:

1. Luke and Kyp coming to an understanding of the Force. I'll await the second half of the current story arc to see if that gets addressed.

2. The Shamed Ones and their budding adoration of the Jedi. It is implausible to think that the Vong will ever be annihilated. Who better to make a deal with?

3. The Hutt Resistance. If the NR is truly dead, it would be a no-brainer for the new Alliance to sign a pact with the Hutts and all their subserviant races. Just look at the map; a successful conquest or two in Hutt space cuts the Vong incursions in half (or at least breaks the back of their supply path and creates a new, inconvenient front).

4. Wherever the heck Jacen is and what he has learned of Force use in his time as a captive. Granted, if he's dead, he's dead and Leia is just being humored by a lot of people.

5. The traitor concept in an upcoming book title. With Shesh over with the Vong, could the traitor be a Vong or does another system or two fall to some weak spined denizen of the galaxy?

Just some thoughts. And I can't believe I'd ever say this, but someone ought to build a statue to Borsk if they ever retake Coruscant. What a way to go.

Rebel Dream was exactly what I needed to keep interest in the storyline. I hope you all get a chance to read it and feel the same way.

Tonda
19 April 2002, 11:49 AM
Spoiler

New Republic is making a new Super Weapon. A cross between the Deat Star and Center Point Station. Something That is smaller scale then the either of them but has the firepower to destroy Capital Scale ships in a single shot, and from a distance like Center point. Read rebel Dream.
They are making it on Borleias

wolverine
19 April 2002, 01:20 PM
But is it a super weapon???? Or is it a ploy to lure the vong in, as they probabily think the vong know of this system's love for them????

So-Var Leet
19 April 2002, 01:49 PM
Wasn't the original Death Star built around Borleias? Wouldn't THAT be ironic?

Nova Spice
19 April 2002, 07:17 PM
No, it was built around Despayre in the Horuz System..not Borleias. Borleias is too close too Coruscant not to be noticed, too deep in the Core. THAT really woud have attracted some attention!
But yes, the "Rebel Alliance" is building a new "superweapon" to hit Vong cap ships from long distances.

So-Var Leet
19 April 2002, 10:49 PM
Then why does Borialus sound so familar?

Anyway ... I think I have an idea what that superweapon is.

But screw the death star, guys. If I were the NR I'd rebuild the Galaxy Gun. But, as of now, they don't have the time/funds/place to build it OR the Death Star anyway.

cwandell
30 April 2002, 02:47 AM
What ever happened to that Ssi-Ruuvi vessel the New Republic Captured at Bakura? maybe the entechment chairs were destroyed but if i'm not mistaken they may have been salvagable (blue prints atleast) and if that were true couldn't the new Republic recreate the Entechment Chair? If the recreated that chair couldn't they use it against the Vong by having a Jedi with one of those precious Organic lightsources reach out and start pulling vong life force outta nearby vong ships. Maybe you get what i'm saying maybe not. Just a idea

reliant
30 April 2002, 04:28 AM
cwandell, somehow I don't see the jedi using that thing... Not that it's a bad idea, but I can't think of any of the jedi who would fight like that. Now if we handed that weapon over to some darksiders, I'm sure they'd love to play around with it. Of course when the war was over they'd probably start zapping the good guys...

EmprorsHand03
30 April 2002, 11:08 AM
There has been one thing bothering me about the entire problem with the Vong. We have seen almost every ship out there go up against the Vong except one, and according to the Xwing series, the NR has it. the Lusankya(sp?) one of the origional super star destroyers that was captured by the new republic. That would be an awsome show of power by the NR and also hard for the vong to counter.

The Lusankya is back it is in the command of Commander Eldo Davrip. The problem with the Lusankya is that is crewed by incompetents, which comes from Davrip's own mouth. Wedge requested its services from "Chief of State" Pwoe.

A problem that I have is that i thought the Lusankya was decommissioned and scrapped because the New Republic favored the use of many smaller, faster ships to large, powerful, and slow warships.

SPOILER: Wedge uses a conventional Imperial tactic with the Lusankya in Rebel Stand. :D