PDA

View Full Version : Wing Poll

FallenAngel
25 February 2002, 09:41 AM
hey... im just posting this classic poll to get a general idea... which one of the 'wing' fighters would you prefer to pilot, and why?

BrianDavion
25 February 2002, 09:53 AM
depends on the era etc, for sure versitility in ANY era I'd go with the X-wing

Consul Vido
25 February 2002, 10:20 AM
I said E-wing. If I remember their stats correctly, they were very fast but had admirable firepower. Plus, I tend to judge things on appearances and I thought they looked awesome.

The B-wing comes in close second, because I like to be able to blow stuff up. And I thought the rotating cockpit was neat. I would have liked them more if they had room for my favorite accessory: an astromech buddy.

Jak Knife
25 February 2002, 10:45 AM
E wing cause it is different from the norm. I mean everyone does the X wing and the K wing is not very appealing to me

reliant
25 February 2002, 11:26 AM
Y-Wing all the way... I have just two words for you - ION CANNONS. Granted the B-Wing has them too, but the Y has been around since the dawn of time (can't beat battle proven tech), AND carries an astromech. And they look cool...

Deck
25 February 2002, 11:49 AM
Well, I am a big fan of the Y-Wing. But not the standart BTL-S3, instead I like the BTL-A4 Longprobe, a reconnaissance fighter. :)

Besides sveral homebrewed starfighters of "winged" type, there also exists another one which appears in the TIE Fighter Game. It's the T-Wing. A three-winged ship, 10 meters in length, featuring two Laser Cannons and weak shields. No official RPG stats exist, however.

Sanjuro
25 February 2002, 11:52 AM
When it comes to starfighters, speed and weapons are essential, and a nice sleek design can't hurt. E-wing, all the way. B)

Strikerkc
25 February 2002, 12:57 PM
I think i'd fly the most proven ship to ever exist. Hey, look at it this way, when ever Rouge Squadron was offered the chance to "upgrade" to a B-wing or E-wing they said "HELL NO!" i don't think the best pilots in the entire bloody saga are somthing's opinoins you don't wory about. X-WING all the frigin way.B)

Dark Lord Drax
25 February 2002, 01:17 PM
I'd say X-wing. Like someone already said, Rouge Squadron stuck with the X-wing. If it's good enough for them...

Also, in every starwars flight game I've ever played, I would always try out the cool new fighter whenever it was available, but I always went back to the X-wing.

After flying the A-wing, I found that the speed wasn't much, and I didn't like it's weak shielding, or the fact that it only has 2 laser cannons.

The Y-wing is too slow for me, but in RS2 it's easiest to shake pursuing TIEs.

The B-wing moves like a sick Bantha, and is shot down too easily. It's probably the least maneuverable fighter in the fleet.

Never flown an E-wing, but if an X-wing wasn't available this would be the next best.

The K-wing can hold massive payloads, but is as slow as the Y-wing. This would probably be the best choice in bombing runs, or heavy assaults (as long as you have another squadron flying fighter screen.)

The X-wing is probably the best fighter as far as balancing power, speed, and shielding.

Rick Vogt
25 February 2002, 02:33 PM
well, I'm an oddball, I guess. The A-wing is my choice. It has the speed, and unless you are going to be going after an ISD you should have all you need. Plus the added bonus that you can upgrade on them fairly easily. They may not have everything you need right off the bat, but boy, you can get'em going if you do some timkering.

I guess I've got a bias there too, as games were mentioned. I play Rogue squadron on a consistent basis. I could only get silver on most of them until I used the a-wing. WEith the a-wing I got gold in all the scenariois except 2....excluding the non choosable scenarios.

I like the V-wing also....but I gotta go A-wing.

Ralzma02
25 February 2002, 02:43 PM
Like Robert De Niro says, in "Ronin", with regard to weapons, "Its a tool box, pick the right tools for the right job." So to me, the best 'wing' would have to be determined by its job. For fighter to fighter I pick the X-Wing. Fighter to Capital I would take the Y-Wing, because of its Ions, not the B-Wing, because it isn't very manuverable, when compared with the Y-Wing. Either way, a few mods here a few mods there, they can all be great.

FallenAngel
25 February 2002, 07:10 PM
well, time to mention my fav...
A-wing! A-wing, baby!
you gots your speed, you gots the nice jammer or some missles(depending on your varient), and you gots SWIVEL GUNS! oh yeah!
well, personally, i just dig the speed and maneuver for getting inside my foeman's fighter screen. call me a speed junkie... its the truth.

Tao
25 February 2002, 07:42 PM
A-wing is as good as it gets. Fast as all get out, a decent amount of firepower and a little bit of shields. Not too much, but enough to keep me not quite dead. A-wing is all I ever need. Anything else is just far too slow.

On a side note... the TIE Defender's even better. YAY!!! More speed!!!

blitzkreig
25 February 2002, 07:50 PM
all about the b-wing/e2 variant..

all the things you like in the x-wing with a much cooler design.

if that's not available my second choice would be the A-wing, more speed than you can shake a stick at, and to quote the red planet video game..bug class: go fast, go splat.

Donovan Morningfire
26 February 2002, 05:33 AM
Sorry, but I have to go with the classic ... X-Wing all the way!!!! :D

It's fast, manueverable, has strong offensive punch, and is well-defended. There may be ships that are faster (A-Wing) or have more raw firepower (B-Wing), but the X-Wing is a great balance between the four basic tenets mentioned previously.

As for appearance, the X-Wing is sleek and deadly looking, where as the E-Wing looks kinda like an elongated crate with wings.

Like Strikerkc and Drax said, go with the proven. There's a good reason Rogue Squadron didn't take the new fighters when offered, in fact I think the only time they took new fighters was when Incom upgraded the X-Wing. Speaks volumes if some of the best fighter pilots in the galaxy stick with one model over all others.

Darth Bile
26 February 2002, 07:08 AM
Well, in my opinion, i would use the e-wing because it's more maneaverable(sp.) and has better fire power, but if i'm in a campaing that the e-wing wasn't available, then i would have to go with the x-wing, it's the fastest and quickest out of all of them, as for the b-wing, i would hate to see my ship spin around me all the time, would make me nauseous and that wouldn't be good for a pilot to get nauseaous in the middle of a fight, could cost the pilot his life, and all of the other ships are ugly to me, the e-wing and the x-wings have the coolest design for me, so those are my favorites even though i took the e-wing in the poll.

wolverine
26 February 2002, 10:38 AM
Bwing, followed closely by the Xwing. But if i was allowed, i would go with my I wing. A lot like the bwing, but with better maneuverability and lot's more firepower!!

phoenixbrose
26 February 2002, 10:42 AM
I gotta throw my vote in for E-Wing as well. All in all, the best bang for the buck IMO.

Aaron B'Aviv
26 February 2002, 11:11 AM
I voted K-wing. I've had so much fun flying a K-wing. But a main reason for that was tactics. I chose the K-wing in a flight where it put me at a distinct advantage. For starfighter vs. capital ship fighting, there's nothing better. True, it's the only 'wing' that doesn't have a hyperdrive. But launched en masse, they can do a severe amount of damage.

Kal_Myadon
26 February 2002, 11:59 AM
X wing Nuff said

BrianDavion
26 February 2002, 12:27 PM
actually.. I'm going to alter my statement... X-Wing... XJ3 :)

with shadowbombs :)

Neelah
1 March 2002, 07:18 AM
x-wing forever i would say
not only rouge squadron stuck with the x-wing, Luke uses the x-wing aswell

dgswensen
1 March 2002, 07:42 AM
I have a strong love of the A-Wing from Return of the Jedi, and also from flying them in the X-Wing and XvT video games. The recon mission in XvT, where you have to scan over a dozen Imperial capital ships without firing back, is one of my favorites. I've always loved its speed and its lines.

The X-Wing is a very close second, though -- it's the classic Star Wars ship.

Grand Admiral Jason
3 March 2002, 06:09 AM
I prefer the e-wing. Why? Because, it is fast, manuverable, heavily armed with proton torpedos, and because its the latest and newest starfighter o the poll.:rolleyes:

Gamemaster Pro
4 March 2002, 04:08 AM
I personally go with the A-Wing. Fast, manueverable, it can throw some nasty things at you (Jamming comm can be very powerful...), decent firepower (Good enough for me anyways B) ) The only bad part is that its lack of shielding makes it hard for rookie pilots to take on. Also, in rouge squadron they were offered A-Wings with a 180-degree swiveling cannons. Very cool in my books.

By the computer games, I still choose A-Wing, X-Wing is a tad too slow, B-Wing's are really good but SLOW, Y-Wing gives me the shudders, and E-Wing is hard for me to fly.

Darth Bile
5 March 2002, 06:24 AM
but if your character had enough money, he could buy his own x-wing and modify it big time, like my jedi did with a phoenix class starfighter he stole from a smuggler cartel, then put in a lot better hyperdrive, shields, hull, turbolaser cannons, proton torpedos and other major modifications.

Dr_Worm
5 March 2002, 11:32 AM
B-Wing...without a doubt.

Actually:
1.B-Wing
2.Y-Wing
3.A-Wing
4.Z-95 (cause after you modify it no one expects a Z-95 to woop a$$)
5.X-Wing
6.Everything else.

I have never had a pilot that flew an X-Wing...it's just so overdone. I like to work with something unique.

Ash DuQuennes
7 March 2002, 10:14 AM
Y-Wing, without a doubt. With respect to Ralzma02 (appropriate quote, btw), the Y-Wing would be the multi-tool. It may not be as capable as more specialized craft with regards to speed or maneuverability, but to again quote DeNiro in Ronin, "The map is not the territory."

As such, the fighter is not the pilot. There are plenty of RL historical examples of aircraft (most notably from WW II) that were slower/less maneuverable than their adversaries, and yet they handily dispatched their qualitatively superior foes with regularity. Training, experience, confidence, focus and aggression are the hallmarks of good fighter pilots. :raised:

As well as knowing when to fight and when to run away. The doctrine of "acceptable losses" is understood and accepted by any experienced military commander. I am also sure that the concept of the "Pyrrhic victory" is well known to the Rebel military leadrship, if not exactly in that terminology.

"Know thy enemy." Knowing the relative strengths/weaknesses of each type of craft, and tailoring your flight/attack profile and tactics to take advantage of your strengths and their weaknesses.

Yeah, it's a toolbox. I prefer tools that allow the wielder the greatest flexibility. A shoe-string organization like the Rebellion cannot afford great quantities of specialized craft. Best to squeeze the most use out of the tools-at-hand.

And once you shed the stupid WEG capsule of the Y-Wing (especially regarding their Ion Cannons), the Y-Wing is a potent tool.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
7 March 2002, 10:49 AM
as lots of you have already said... X-wing for dogfighting... A-wing for persuit & recon ... Y-wings for most capital ships... But also B-Wings against the lighter ships & heavier asault craft that don't have nearly as much armament...

sometimes its fun to have a mixed: squadron of each: B-Wings & Y-Wings as the poor ship gunners don't know which to fire at first. and it's a no-win situation in either way: take out the faster Y-wings and get plastered by the b-wings... take out the b-wings and still get slugged by the y-wings... I know it's cruel... but it works! :D
...and of course have a few squadrons of x-wings for space superiority & also to raze the ship at the same time...

Talonne Hauk
7 March 2002, 10:55 AM
The A-Wing's speed is too much of an asset. That, and it's maneuverability will give a good pilot the edge over someone in an X-Wing. Most of the updated designs for the X-Wing dealt with giving it a boost in speed, if I recall correctly. That should tell you something right there. Besides, it looks like a sexy European sports car, and the chicks dig it.:D

lordbynight
7 March 2002, 08:26 PM
I personaly like the Imperial ships better can that be my choice??
HeHe

B.I.P
8 March 2002, 11:38 AM
B-WING : I JUST LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS AND YOU CAN PUT WEAPONS ON ANY THING AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A GOOD TECH IN YOUR GROUP!B)