PDA

View Full Version : Who wants Miniatures Battles?

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
27 February 2002, 08:05 PM
I recently got, as a present, a LotR mini battles set of plastic figs and stuff... Haven't done much with it yet, but it looks rather fun. I knew that WotC also made minis for SW... so I wenbt down to the local shop and picked one out, a Human Male Scoundrel (who became a Chiss Soldier in Mit'thraw'nurodo's House Phalanx).

I also knew that WEG made some minis for their SW game, so I went out to another shop and found the mini battles book... very cool.

Now, I'd like to see some new mini battles rules and support from WotC or another company...

WEG sold their minis in packs of 10 for 12 bucks American per pack. This seems like a worthy price to me. WotC might even be able to get away with 8 for $12, as their minis are slightly larger and come with bases...

Or they could sell packs of pewter (or whatever metal it is) main characters for however much, then make packs of plastic troop builders, say, Stormies, like 20 for 10 bucks.

I'd definately pick something like this up... what about you guys?

Think it's a good idea?

BrianDavion
27 February 2002, 08:09 PM
well my mini game of choice is Btech (which sadly looks like it is going the way of the cheap collectable clickbase game ala mageknight *shudders) it's a good game. in between that and the my RPs I'm always broke.

P.S.
I suggest looking into Btech, Mike Stackpole is one of their primary writers

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
27 February 2002, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I know about Mike writing for BTech, and it seems intersting..

But I want a SW mini battle game! :D

reliant
28 February 2002, 05:51 AM
I think a Star Wars game (similar to 40K) would be cool. Maybe Games Workshop could work something out with Lucasarts. Besides it would be cool to use Stormtroopers as Space Marines in 40K, because I doubt I would scrounge up the cash to buy an entire SW army (especially when I already have one for 40K).

Reverend Strone
28 February 2002, 06:56 AM
I agree Reliant, that'd be cool.

But I wouldn't hold out much on Games Workshop picking up a Lucas license any time soon. Lucas charge like a wounded bull for anything with the SW name on it, and GW don't really do licenses. They prefer their own in-house stuff.

LOTR was a once-off special thing that they went for only because so many folks there at GW have a passion for it and it was really the origin of their entire genre.

Still, it would be cool. Oh man, part of me hopes no one does pick up on that idea. All I see in front of me is an even bigger SW-labelled hole for me to poor all my money into! Oh to be strong-willed. Resist! Resist!

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
28 February 2002, 07:22 PM
But I wouldn't hold out much on Games Workshop picking up a Lucas license any time soon. Lucas charge like a wounded bull for anything with the SW name on it, and GW don't really do licenses. They prefer their own in-house stuff.

Sometimes... but WotC isn't a Lucas company... Del Rey isn't a Lucas company...

And on the games front, Lucasarts has turned to outside developers (namely Raven Software and Factor 5) to work on some of their latest games (Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Jedi Outcast)...