28 February 2002, 12:40 AM
Force Potential
Written by Vjeran Skurjeni
Croatia, 26.02.2002
For: Star Wars RolePlayingGame d20 system
Additional rule for creating Force user character
Email: wewa_74@yahoo.com

Force Potential rule

This additional rule was primary designed for NPC’s development, but at GM discretion can be used with players when creating Force using character.

Problem: Whenever dark side character advances level in dark side prestige class’s he loose one of STR, DEX or CON, so when looking little bit further Player character cannot become not nearly as strong or powerful as force users described in “Dark side sourcebook” (example: after achieving 8 level in any dark side prestige class character would loose at least 2 points from all his physical stats, 6 points totally)

My first idea when I started thinking about Force potential was how will my one of my players who play Sith Acolyte determine which apprentice is strong, and good material enough to become Sith warrior. So I begin to think if career of any force using character can be determined ( of course not definitely - PC always have power over his life in his own hands) but rather that some character have better predisposition to become great Dark side character or great Jedi Master, better than average force user character.

-------------------------------------------------
Roll d100 twice, once for light side, and once for dark side.
Higher roll determines which path will be easier for character.

LIGHT SIDE
Description

0-85 -- 1. No modification from standard SW RPG and sourcebooks rules, all rules apply as in official SW RPG books

86-89 -- 2. Character fells strong call from Light side and receive +1 when fighting Dark side, +1 when using light side skills or force power skills/ -2 when call on to dark side

88-91 -- 3. Greater connection to the light side of the Force. PC start with +1 FP when create force sensitive character. Every 3 level he gets additionally +1 force point ( at 4 lvl, 7 lvl, 11 lvl and so on), +2 when using light side skills or force power skills/ -4 when call on to dark side

92-94 -- 4. PC gains +4 saving throw against dark side of the force, +3 when using light side skills or force power skills/ -6 when call on to dark side

95-97 -- 5. PC is in deeper connection with force and may receive +1d6 bonus dice when call upon the force, +4 when using light side skills or force power skills/ -8 when call on to dark side

98-99 -- 6. Same as 4&5, +1 skill (free) GM selection, +4 when using light side skills or force power skills/ -8 when call on to dark side

00 -- 7. Same as 4& 5, +1 force feature (sense), +5 when using light side skills or force power skills/ -9 when call on to dark side

DARK SIDE
Description

0-85 -- 1. No modification from standard SW RPG and sourcebooks rules -- All rules apply as in official SW RPG books

86-89 -- 2. Character fells strong call from dark side and receive +1 when fighting Jedi character, +1 when using dark side skills or force power skills/ -2 when call on to light side

88-91 -- 3. Natural resistance to dark side. When in normal circumstances PC would transit from tainted to dark character he stays on tainted lvl. For purposes of ability loss. (Fortitude S.T. DC 10 + number of DSP check normally apply),DS character gains +2 dark side bonus on any Force skill checks made to accomplish a dark side Force power, or skills. He suffers a –4 penalty to any light side Force skill power.

92-94 -- 4. PC looses only every two lvl/ 1 attribute, +3 when using dark side/ -6 when call light

95-97 -- 5. PC is in deeper connection with force and may receive +1d6 bonus dice when call upon the Dark side of the force, +4 when using dark side skills and DS force powers/ -8 when call light

98-99 -- 6. Same as 4&5, +1 dark side skill (free) GM selection, +4 when using dark side/ -8 when call light

00 -- 7. Same as 4%5, + 1 dark side force feature (alter), +5 when using dark side/ -9 when call light

For Dark side character bonus apply to all Dark side skills, Dark side Force power’s, and (optionally) for all neutral skills that can be used in a Evil way. Alter feat. is for character free, so PC can choose whichever other skill he want's, at level where he would normally gain that feat.

For Light side character bonus apply to all skills, and Force power’s that can be used in a good way for they. (Not when using skills, or Force power’s for himself) Sense feat. is for character free, so PC can choose whichever other skill he want's, at level where he would normally gain that feat.

Such guideline could helped Hero to better develop his character and give greater depth when playing force sensitive character. (for example: if some force user character have better predisposition to become Jedi Master his temptation for the dark side of the force will be smaller, and his natural ability for calling to the light side of the force will make him easier to reject dark temptation, rather than for average force user who may be easily tempted by dark side of force and become Dark Jedi).
PC throw his dice once for the light side, and once for the dark side, then result will show him what future predisposition lies ahead of him. Let's say he roll's 89 for light side, and 99 for the dark side.
Whichever roll is highest for the light or for the dark side, character must abide difference (So if player decide to become Jedi Guardian he will have great difficulty whenever he tries to call upon light side of the force (-8), but if he break's under given circumstances he will notice than whenever he calls for the dark side (+4), help he will receive is more that he ever expected. He maybe will return to the path of Light but dark temptation will be strong in him and always be waiting.
Now if Hero with this development chose to become Jedi his temptation to cross to the dark side could be greater, because he will always know «I could bee really powerful Sith Lord ».
Character personal struggle between good and evil could lead to epic turnovers in course of adventure, as well in development of his character.

BrianDavion
28 February 2002, 12:25 PM
perosnally I think a better way to do this if you are playign a dark side campaign is just to ignore those dark side effects.

the dark side effects IMHO are PURELY optional. and if I wanted to use em I'd mod em.. rather then loosing an attribute point.. you simply don't GAIN any

Sanjuro
4 March 2002, 02:05 PM
I would have to agree with brian,

There is definitely easier and less complicated ways of developing jedi or other force using characters.

B)