PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Doublebound Staff (SWRPGNetwork)

REG
28 February 2002, 08:40 PM
I wonder if such an Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for a doublebound staff requires a Dex score prerequisite. Otherwise, a klutz may do more harm to himself than to his opponent.

TC-3
28 February 2002, 08:40 PM
This thread is for comments on the entry entitled "<a href="http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=1416" target="_blank" title="This link will open in a new window.">Doublebound Staff</a>" located on SWRPGNetwork. Please post your comment on this entry below using the "Post Thread" button; you may also post a comment via a link from the entry itself.

Gulmyros
28 February 2002, 09:15 PM
I doubt it. After all, if there's no DEX requirement for proficiency in a lightsaber... :)

REG
28 February 2002, 10:14 PM
I beg to differ. at least with a lighsaber you worry about the energy coming out from one end and wielding it like a bastard sword (both hands on the hilt).

The weapon pictured above has one end flailing around, and if you use one it like a real-world nunchaku (like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon), one has to be careful of catching the flailed end, otherwise you may accidentally grasp the energy binder.

Gulmyros
28 February 2002, 10:42 PM
I don't disagree with you, REG. But everything I've read about lightsabers makes this big deal about the blade not having appreciable weight, and it being unusual to weild, and so on. Everybody's always made such a big deal about sabers being difficult to use... and that if there wasn't a req. for the saber, I was doubtful that they'd put one in for this. It's not impossible, and I wouldn't complain if they did put one in, I was just being doubtful.

Moridin
1 March 2002, 06:15 AM
I think that the need for an EWP combined with the stun damage incurred on a natural 1 are drawbacks enough to say that if the character is able to use it successflly, he or she has the required training. Dexterity is only natural ability, proficiency is training. At least that's how I see it; feel free to add a Dex requirement in your own games, but I didn't want the weapon to be unattainable.

sirkut
1 March 2002, 10:43 AM
I have a few questions. The first pertains to the d20 portion of the stats. In the Damage category, it states 1d6/1d6 is this merely a typo? I realize there is Bludgeoning/Energy damage but I see that the stun damage is a few lines below that stating 1d8. The second question pertains to the energy binders. By coming in contact with the energy binders, would that have a numbing affect or would the energy from the binders be too minimal to even deal with. Would seem interesting enough that if a person does roll a 1, try another roll to see if the energy binders or the actual stun nodes is the culprit for the adverse affects. Any thoughts?

REG
1 March 2002, 12:04 PM
Well, at least the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber) feat have an addtional prerequisite of Dex 11+ to along with the BAB +1 or higher. See SWCR, pages 093 & 094.

But then again, with a lightsaber, you are dealing with an unbendable shaft of energy.

Not so with a flail-type weapon. I would suggest perhaps a prerequisite Dex 12+?

RE: Weapon Damage vs. Stun Damage

I think the 1d6/1d6 is correct for a non-powered weapon of its size. But if you wish to stun someone (which is more effective) you should use the Stun Damage.

At least you can crit on a 1d6. You can't do so with the 1d8 Stun.

Lord Darth Khan
2 March 2002, 04:18 PM
While is a cool weapon to see, I think that once you have a lightsaber you don't need anything enlse heh

Moridin
2 March 2002, 04:32 PM
Yeah, this could be a non-Jedi thing too, though.

Nova Spice
7 March 2002, 01:45 PM
Exactly, one of my PCs (Shistavanen Fringer) acquired this beauty in our last adventure. He is not a Force-user.

Craig Feely
7 March 2002, 02:28 PM
I'd kinda like to see what one of these looks like. Any artists out there?? ~grin~ Good stats, as always guys!

Moridin
7 March 2002, 03:04 PM
Uh, there IS artwork for this entry....

FatGnome
29 October 2002, 02:53 PM
I like this weapon alot. I think that the Exotic Weapon Proficiency is fine for this weapon. Like any Exotic Weapon you learn how to use it soon and not hit yourself so much. Some Jedi feel that hurting any living being is against the Jedi Code and therefore Stuning is much more preferable to hurting them with your lightsaber.