PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Play Star Wars RPG?

Grand Admiral Jason
3 March 2002, 06:18 AM
I've been an avid Star Wars fan for a very long time now. But, now I'm feeling something is missing. STAR WARS RPG! Could somebody please tell me how to play and where to start. :o :raised: is probally what some of you are going to be doing when you're done reading this.

loudanddeep
3 March 2002, 07:23 AM
This is a very interesting question;

My answer depends on how you answer these questions;

1 - Do you have experience with RPG's?
2 - Do you have a group of friends to play with?

If both are yes, then go buy it, and play it.
If either one is no, you need to find some folks who you can play with...

I have been gaming for a really long time , and Star Wars is just one in a long line of games I have played.

My friends and I love it, and will play I am sure for quite a while.
At least until we need our fantasy fix, and go back to something else for a while.

just my 2cents.

dp

Kobayashi_Maru
3 March 2002, 08:13 AM
If you meet the above critria by loudanddeep great go for it. If you have the group but not the experience there is a Invasion of Theed box set for new commers. That and the core rule book will set you on the path of SWRPing.

Even without the experience there's enough questions and talk on these forums that should help you wiht any problem you might run into.

Grand Admiral Jason
3 March 2002, 02:17 PM
But where do I buy Invasion of Theed box set and Core Rulebook?

Matt Richard
3 March 2002, 02:34 PM
if you cant find them in the bookstore, then you can get them by using amazon.com, or other online bookstores (but amazon is better).

Matt Richard
3 March 2002, 02:36 PM
:? :? :? I just read your DLOS post that said it was one of your favorite RPG sites. So how can you enjoy it without playing the actuall game (thats like saying you just like to look at ice cream, but not eat it:D )

Aaron B'Aviv
3 March 2002, 03:47 PM
I've played the tabletop Star Wars rpg a few times, but I have a lot more experience playing online roleplaying games.

More a writing experience than a game, they combine creativity with Star Wars in wonderful ways. The best part? You don't need to pay a cent.

While an online search will round up hundreds of such rpgs, here are a couple that rise above the pack:

This Page (http://www.gembassy.com) is the homepage of the Galactic Embassy, an rpg based in Yahoo Clubs and Groups. It's my personal favorite- the people are great, the plots frenetic, the feel is Star Wars.

This Page (http://www.swcombine.com) is the homepage of the Star Wars Combine, another extremely popular rpg. It's more rigidly structured than the GE, and I can't say that I have personal experience with it, but its many players will attest to the quality of the experience.

Now, if you have the money and you have the friends (4 or 5 friends who love Star Wars as much as you do), you might love to play the tabletop rpg. Otherwise, online roleplaying might be the way to go.

Grand Admiral Jason
3 March 2002, 04:00 PM
I just really like looking at the stats. Sorry for any confusion.:o

Grand Admiral Jason
3 March 2002, 04:05 PM
Sorry if the post I just put up caused any cnofusion. I really just like looking at the stats and using them in my unposted (I really don't post them) fan fics. I'm really, really, really sorry. Please forgive me.:o:o

Dr_Worm
4 March 2002, 10:16 AM
I've seen Invasion Of Theed as cheap as 2-3 bucks (+s&h) on ebay. It is probably a great supliment to get started with, but is pretty useless after that. Therefor many outlets are dumping their inventory. That will work well to your advantage.

Another thing to consider is that a Revised Core Rulebook is comming out in a few months. If I were you I would get the Invasion Of Theed, play it, and stall until the new CR hits the shelves. One of the things that WoTC did right when they created the D20 Star Wars system, is they created the Core Rulebook that truely has everything you need to run a campaign. The other suppliments are just gravy, some of it good gravy and some mediocre.

Also, once you get started you might want to Download Nazgul's Character Generator. It is a great tool for GM's and players. He has his own forum at the bottom of the main page called "Okina'dae" or something like that.

The last thing I would say, and this may be old news to you, is to check back on this site often. There is great insite, and great people.

Grand Admiral Jason
4 March 2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks this really helps!

Sanjuro
4 March 2002, 01:18 PM
It looks as though the answer to your post is "yes". Hope you have fun!B)

S.L.A.M.
4 March 2002, 01:58 PM
G.A.Jason
I have collected over 50 W.E.G books, and log onto about 10 Star Wars R.P.G. sites every other day, but I have never played an R.P.G. and I dont know anyone who does, I was browsing through a bookshop about 10 years ago and saw the Imperial Sourcebook and have been hooked ever since. I too enjoy the info (knowledge is power Muahahahaha)

S.L.A.M.:D

Grand Admiral Jason
4 March 2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks. All this input is really helpfull!!