PDA

View Full Version : STATS: Firetroopers

Tony J Case, Super Genius
3 March 2002, 09:08 AM
In that the Empire has darn near a stormtrooper for every purpose, I thought it was odd that one element had gotten overlooked - I mean they need somebody capable of plucking vader out of his lava pit, dont they? Anyway, this was a concept that was brought up on Jae's mailing list about 5 years ago, but never got around to fully fleshing it out. Ok - so it takes me a while, but I get there eventually! Sheesh.

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The Imperial stormtrooper, although the most visible symbol of the might of the Galactic Empire, simply cannot operate in every environment. From solders that are trained to operate in the vacuum of space to the infamous Burning Sands of Ar'shara, stormtrooper legions feature dozens of special force troops. One of these specialized units is the Imperial firetroopers.

Trained to operate under extremes of temperature and visibility, and equipped with state of the art heat resistant armor, firetroopers are capable of dealing with adverse and deadly conditions that the average stormtrooper are incapable of handling.

Firetrooper armor is based on the standard stormtrooper design - with the noticeable difference being that firetrooper armor is dull red in color. The armor however is more subtle in its design than that. Coated with an advanced heat resistant polymer and lined with heat dispersal sinks , the armor can easily deal with temperatures up to 1,500 degrees. The completely sealed nature of the armor allows protection from smoke and other noxious gasses that may be present. Of course all normal stormtrooper armor amenities are present in the firetrooper armor - comlink, viewplate ranger finder and so on.

In addition to the standard armaments deployed with stormtroopers, firetroopers also come equipped with several specialized devices. Each firetrooper comes with 2 chemical / C02 mixed grenades used in fire suppression and 2 incendiary napalm-like grenades. They also have access to a flame thrower, a medium sized rifle like weapon, handy in clearing out rooms and trenches of enemy troops.

This armor, along with specialized training, allows the firetroopers to enforce the will of the Emperor under the most hostile of conditions.

Imperial Firetrooper
Type: Hot Environment Stormtrooper

DEXTERITY 2D
Blaster: 4D
Brawling parry: 4D
Dodge: 4D
Flame-thrower: 5D

KNOWLEDGE 2D
Survival: 3D
(S) Extreme Temperature: 4D+2

MECHANICAL: 2D

PERCEPTION: 2D
Search: 3D+2

STRENGTH: 3D
Brawling: 4D
Stamina: 4D

TECHNICAL: 2D+1

Character Points: varies; typically 0-4
Move: 10

Equipment:
Sorosuub Stormtrooper One blaster rifle (5D) (adds 1D to blaster skill if retractable stock is used), flame-thrower rifle (see below), fire suppression grenades (extinguishes in a 30 meter radius upon detonation), napalm grenades (6D/5D/4D/3D upon detonation, 3D for eight rounds unless extinguished), Firetrooper armor (see below)

Firetrooper Armor
Model: Stormtrooper Armor
Type: hot environment survival armor
Scale: Character
Cost: Not available for sale
Availability: 3,X
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +2D physical. +1D energy, -1D DEX and related skills
Comlink: tongue activated helmet comlink
Sealed body glove: climate controlled body glove and breath mask provides protection up to 1,500 degrees. Helmet draws air from tank and has a one hour emergency rebreather attachment.
MFTAS: adds 2D to perception checks in low visibility situations. +2D to ranged weapons skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round..
Utility belt: high tension wire, grappling hook, spare blaster pack, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, water pack, medpac.

Flame Rifle
Model: Galaxy Weapons Flamemaster 650
Type: Flame-thrower
Skill: Flame-thrower
Ammo: 25
Cost: 750 credits
Availability: 2, X
Range: 0-3/7/10
Damage: 5D+1 first round, 3D for eight rounds unless extinguished

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What do you think, sirs?

**EDIT** Fixed a couple of typos

3 March 2002, 09:09 AM
(Oh yeah - the D20 version is on the way. Expect it sometime in the next 5 years. :) )

Sabre
3 March 2002, 11:29 AM
Looks very consistent with the other stormtrooper models we've seen so far. Nothing too outrageous or munchy. The Empire probably doesn't perform many operations on volcanic planets, but it isn't inconceivable. But I think they should carry something other than a flamethrower. Anything capable of surviving in the sort of environment where these troopers would be used would probably also have a good degree of heat resistance, which would minimize the effectiveness of a flamethrower weapon. They'd also have to make certain that whatever they were burning in those flamethrowers stayed nice and insulated. Could be real messy otherwise.

Chris Curtis
3 March 2002, 03:48 PM
The stats and capsule look pretty good, Tony. Sabre does have a point about the flamethrower, though. Perhaps instead, they'd carry something like a compressed cold-gas gun (to basically freeze, or at least seriously cool down, things)?

Personally, though, I follow the theory that the main difference between the different types of stormtroopers (minus ones like the Storm Commandos, Imperial Guard, etc) is simply due to the equipment and armor.

Most STs would have pretty much the same stats as far as characters go, though some may, of course, decide to specialize in a particular area. It would be entirely conceivable, though, to see a ST who might have had advanced training in, say, zero-G maneuvering to simply be serving as a regular ST or Scout Trooper or even others.

Anyway, now that my tangent is over... :D

S.L.A.M.
4 March 2002, 02:15 PM
Tony J Case
I found this picture on the SOLDIER website (Good film), It may not be the right look or colour for your Firetrooper but it might give other people a visual idea and it does look cool, or should that be hot:?

S.L.A.M.:D

4 March 2002, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.

I'll have to go do some tweaking and whatnot with the stats - I guess I got so fixiated on the gimmick, I didnt think of other logical offshoots. I'll have to play around with some kind of cold grenade or the like.

Hey, SLAM - could you e-mail me that pic? I've viewed/downloaded it, but it doesnt want to save it in any format other than .php - very weird.

5 March 2002, 12:58 PM
Ok Ladies and Gents - here's one more addition: the cold gas gun. Why the two damages? I remember my MacGuyver - how he once cracked open a bank vault door by heating it with a blowtorch and hitting it with a CO2 fire extinguisher. Same thing here.

(see, I *DID* learn something in the 80's)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cold Gas Pistol
Model: Galaxy Weapons Cryoblast-X
Type: Compressed cold gas gun
Skill:
Ammo: 15
Cost: 500 credits
Availability: 2, X
Range: 0-2/5/8
Damage: 3D (if target at normal temperature), 6D (if target at superheated temperature)

Lokar
5 March 2002, 05:35 PM
Nice stats Tony. Good to see a non ubertrooper. Of course its always cool to a reference to the god of engineers, aka MacGuyver. :D

Neelah
7 March 2002, 03:14 AM
nicley done

The Admiral
7 March 2002, 04:19 PM
Nice.

Got a query, though;

Would it not make sense for Firetrooper Armour to be based on the Radtrooper's, rather than standard Stormie's? The Rad Trooper armour would be better for reflecting the heat, certainly. Plus, it DOES look cool.

Essentially, assuming you're not equipped with flamable gear, the thing these guys would have to worry about is radiant thermal energy*, something Radtrooper armour is already designed to do, so,,,

Just a thought,,,

*Well, and the effects the fire is having on the immediate surroundings. (never cross a burning rope bridge) And the smoke. And the enemy. And visual heat distortion. And equipment failure. And, aw heck, OK, there are a LOT of other things to worry about, but the only thing the Armour has to do that is special, is protect against radiant thermal energy.

GreenCape
8 March 2002, 06:38 AM
Technically, radtrooper armour as defined in FFTR could deal with fire environments without much difficulty. All the same, i'm going to be using these guys, if only because they're cool. Or hot. Whatever.
(a hot stormtrooper! Quick, put the kids to bed... :D )