PDA

View Full Version : Snubfighter?

Grand Admiral Jason
5 March 2002, 06:40 PM
I've erad a lot of Star Wars novels and comics. I keep hearing the term "snubfighter" Could smoebody please tell me what a "snubfighter" is (not an example, like a definition). :?

BrianDavion
5 March 2002, 08:38 PM
nick name for x-wings and the like

Chris Curtis
6 March 2002, 06:58 AM
Yes, it's simply just another term for a small, usually one-man, fighter. Also, snubfighters are usually designed to primarily go against other fighters, though they can mount weapons meant for use against heavy targets. Things like X-wings, Y-wings, and A-wings would be snubfighters.

However, something like the Skipray Blastboat probably wouldn't be considered a snubfighter, even though it's not that much bigger than the others, because it has a multi-person crew and it's also meant more for anti-capital ship work.

Grand Admiral Jason
6 March 2002, 03:27 PM
So that's what a snubfighter is. Thanks a bunch.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
7 March 2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
However, something like the Skipray Blastboat probably wouldn't be considered a snubfighter, even though it's not that much bigger than the others, because it has a multi-person crew and it's also meant more for anti-capital ship work.

Then, by this definition, the B-Wing wouldn't be considered a snubfighter either right?

Chris Curtis
8 March 2002, 11:54 AM
> Then, by this definition, the B-Wing wouldn't be considered a snubfighter either right?

Well, that's a tricky one. It could probably go either way and would simply depend on who was the one talking. The B-wing, does have only 1 crewmember (normal model, anyway), which might qualify it for "snubfighter" status is a very narrowly defined way. At the same time, it's basically a dedicated anti-capital ship platform, which doesn't really fit with my personal view of a "snubfighter".

Another thing I associate with snubfighters is speed. Generally, they're going to be relatively quick (not blazing, necessarily, but not plodding, either). I guess maybe my definition would go something like this:

A small, usually 1-man, fighter designed to be able to engage other fighters in a dogfight.

But again, that's just my own definition. :D

reliant
8 March 2002, 12:04 PM
Personally, I wouldn't include the Y-Wing in the Snub Fighter class. I would think more of the little ones (X-Wings, A-Wings, Tie's, Z-95's). I always thought of snub fighters more as short range anti-fighter ships. The B-Wing and the Y-Wing are not really snub fighters.

Grand Admiral Jason
9 March 2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by reliant
Personally, I wouldn't include the Y-Wing in the Snub Fighter class. I would think more of the little ones (X-Wings, A-Wings, Tie's, Z-95's).

I've never really heard TIEs being in the snubfighter class.

Deck
10 March 2002, 02:20 AM
Well, personally I have a very similar definition of snubfighters as <b>Chris Curtis</b>. They are small, fast, quite maneuverable, and love dog fights. Concerning the TIE, I think it would fit in this category.

Yet, "snubfighter" is not a class itself - this is difficult to explain - It's more a nickname, or a slang term by pilots, for their starfighters. They of course, all belong to the starfighter-class. I have to admit, that I never heard Imperial pilots talk about their TIEs being snubfighters... Of course we don't have many conversations of Imperial pilots. ;)

reliant
11 March 2002, 05:34 AM
I agree that it's more of a slang term for them than anything else, that's why I included Ties in my definition. A tie fighter fits all the characteristics of a snub fighter (small, fast, anti-fighter). We don't hear many people talk about them in the books or anything because they don't have shields (so everyone is afraid to fly them). I think in the one NJO book (at lando's asteroid place), they refer to the ties he's using to "run the belt" as snub fighters. I could be wrong though...

Sidyan
19 March 2002, 07:36 AM
Methinks snubfighter is a term not so much associated with fast, agile, and small, as it is associated with outdated. Therefore Z95's are subfighters during the Rebellion era (but not during the Rise of the Empire era), and TIE's are snubfighters during the New Jedi Order era (but not during the Rebellion era).

Just my two 0.02 ...