PDA

View Full Version : what is star wars?

hotten2
8 March 2002, 03:12 PM
ive thought about this? what makes star wars so special and original?

when u watch star wars, what do u see?

dgswensen
8 March 2002, 04:04 PM
Star Wars has always been a space cowboys movie to me -- with Han Solo being the biggest cowboy of them all. :)

There is plenty that is epic / tragic about the story, but I then again, a good western can be that way, too.

Sithspawn
9 March 2002, 03:21 AM
SPACE OPERA
Yes it's Sci-Fi, but SW doesn't mess about too much with the techno-babble of other sci-fi shows. The galaxy, aliens & tech are there, no explaination necessary. Star Wars is about the story and characters, and this applies to the RPG too IMHO. If in-game a starship crashes I might tell the players the Sub-light conpensator has blown. Who gives a damn what a Sub-light compensator does, the story is about the characters and how they go about solving the problem. The movies take it to the extreme with a farmboy eventually freeing the galaxy. EPIC.

QWERTY
20 March 2002, 06:24 AM
an epic

when i read or roleplay some alternity books i thought not a bad story good sytem (very very very good sytem0

when i read a starwars book i get sucked in so fast its like being hit by a bus. the sw world is huge they have loads of creatures, planets, pots and badguys

epic means big and starwars is big

Jastor
20 March 2002, 07:45 AM
i have no idea what star wars is. can someone please explain to me? isnt that the one with the borgs in it?

;)

madpoet
23 March 2002, 03:46 PM
Let me start by apologizing if this is too serious for this board, but this question made me think....

In 1977, my Dad took me to the movies. I was 6 years old, the film was Star Wars. We went and saw it again the next day, and the day after that. My Dad was a long time Sci-Fi fan and we both loved this movie. Less than a month later, my Dad was killed in a car accident. Seeing Star Wars was pretty much the last thing I ever did with him.

What is Star Wars? It is part of my life. I've loved the movies, books, comics, toys, and games. I played the Imperial March at my wedding. I have the Seal of the Galactic Empire tattooed on one forearm and the seal of the Rebellion on the other.

Why do I love Star Wars so much? Maybe its because every time I watch one of the movies, or read one of the books, for a little while I'm a kid again and I can feel my Dad sitting next to me.

Again, sorry if this was a little too heavy.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
23 March 2002, 05:08 PM
thats touching...

StarWars for me is an escape from reality... when I can sit back or lay back to read a sw book at night... reality vanishes and i'm transported instantly to a far far away place ... For me thats total relaxation and stress releif... Nothing can compare to that... though being in a sw rpg almost the same thing... after that, nothing comes close in comparison ...

Jastor
24 March 2002, 01:34 PM
lucky i got good imagination and that my "inner eye" replaces my field of view (well, except what i read then ;) so reading (well, most books that is, with exception the X-Wing series thats a "a fight from the Tie Fighter game, written in words") the books are almost as exciting as watching the movies.

Soontide
24 March 2002, 01:43 PM
Star wars is big, REALLY BIG! But the magic of the series is that the characters drive the story, they are not driven by the story. Many epics focus on the events to the detriment of character developement, while in star wars the character developement is the main focus with the bigger picture taking place in the background. One of the best examples of this is the final battle in ANH. Luke, Wedge and Biggs are flying down the death star trench, and instead of showing cut sceens of other ships getting destroyed, the film focuses down to these three fighters and their opponents. It finally focuses down on one pilot, vs one other pilot. This is the essence of Space Opera and any other character driven story.
Is it the best story ever? possibly. It is definately one of the best presented storys of all time and will be around for many years to come.

Korwin Blade
27 March 2002, 09:21 AM
I went with another option, because i believe that it is differant things to differant people, but it is most of those as well. And probably other things as well. But I also believe that to be timeless (like it is) it has to be more than one kind of movie. So that no mater when you see it you will like it as much as thoughs of us who can't wait till the next movie, book or comic comes out. This is only possible if it is a mystery, drama, action, comedy and love story all rolled in to one. But that's just my 1/2 cents of non-sense. :D

DirkGreystoke
28 March 2002, 04:31 PM
I agree with Sithspawn...Space Opera.

Master_thorin
5 April 2002, 08:41 AM
I an not zero in on one of those it is all of that and more. So i guess I would say Where is all of the above?:D

Bjorn
5 April 2002, 09:39 PM
Like so many others that voted, I think of Star Wars as an Epic Story. To me, its so much more then just that though.

Star Wars has been such a large part of my life since I was a kid. I was six years old when my parents took me to see it for the first time. And from that day on, I've been hooked. I can't go to a family reunion without someone coming up to me & asking me if I still have my Star Wars toys or asks me what I know about the next movie coming out.

Alun
6 April 2002, 06:34 PM
Star Wars is a Cultural Icon - a classic. It gave birth to so many things that we know today.
It has influenced politics (see the Star Wars Project and era of the 80s).

It is a warm fuzzy feeling inside

bentleyml
24 April 2002, 04:20 AM
Star Wars is a million different things to a million different people. :) To me it is a Space Opera, an escape from reality, a part of my life since I was very young and just an amazing bit of story telling. It's probably alot of other things to me also, but it 8:15am and I'm tired. :)