PDA

View Full Version : I dunno

vongkiller
9 March 2002, 12:26 PM
i havent really tried or wanted to learn anytrhing about bothans or why their spys are so good or anything but i do now so tell me!

darth maim
15 March 2002, 01:01 AM
They're slick self serving little sob's and they are good on the comp... They have their own network (hence the bothan spy net) and basically broker information for either large sums of money or positions of power (ie-Feyla of NJO fame)

Grayson MacRae
16 March 2002, 07:12 AM
Generally, from what I understand in the resources I have read, Bothans, like the Chiss, have minds that tend toward tactical brilliance. During the Rebellion era, the Bothans didn't really have a firm base of operations to stage any kind of rebellion or protest, being non-humans and sentients that were under the thumb of Palpatine's new order. So, they did what any sly, brilliant, somewhat organized and repressed group does in this kind of situation: they began to gather information on what was going on around them. More specifically, the Imperials and their operations. Hey, even after the fall of the Empire, the Bothans were known to have the most extensive, well seated, most accurate and widespread intelligence gathering network in the whole of the galaxy. Hope that helped...

paul g
16 March 2002, 04:12 PM
but palpatine obviously knew of their abilities as shown in episode 6 , so why let them go unpunished

Talonne Hauk
31 March 2002, 02:25 PM
Well, the Bothans knew where Palpatine would try to punish them, and they wouldn't be there. The first rule of information gathering is to get what's useful to you. And the Empire used the Bothan SpyNet also, but to a lesser degree; they never got the really good information tagged for the Rebellion. The source for that is Shadows of the Empire sourcebook, I believe.

The Admiral
1 April 2002, 02:11 PM
The Bothan's prevalance for espionage is a natural progression of their species' paranoia and cowardice. Bothan's evolved from scavengers, they are not naturally aggressive, and shy away from direct violence. Hence they have had a culture from the very dawn of their civilisation that is based on sneak attacks, back-stabbing and general connivance.

They are very good spies because;

A: They've been doing it for longer than anyone else.

B: It's their first nature.

C: Wth regards external politics, Bothans are entirely neutral; they will sell any information to anyone willing to pay. The upisde of having access to the galaxies oldest, and best spy network more than balances the downside of your enemies being able to do it too.

D: The Spynet is galaxy wide. Even if you destroyed Bothawui and Kothlis, you would simply have made a mortal enemy of the entire spynet. This would be bad.

Oh, and whilst the Empire certainly did know of Bothan complicity in providing the Alliance with the location of the second death star, and Bob's travel plans, one has to remember that this was Bob's plan in the first place.

khalen penn
2 April 2002, 05:01 PM
so the BOTHANS were
STAR WARS answer to the C.I.A
BUT WITH THE I HAVING MEANING BEHIND IT:D