PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Language Mix Up?

Grand Admiral Jason
9 March 2002, 03:01 PM
If the Star Wars Basic language is not written like English, then why are all the wing fighters named after letters (ie X-Wing).

dgswensen
9 March 2002, 03:26 PM
Since the language used in Star Wars is presumably not English, one can probably safely assume it's a translation from the original (Esper, isn't it?)

Aside from the very practical answer that "Get to your §♠♣♥♦≈∂∀φω!" doesn't work very well in the movies, or in books. :)

vongkiller
9 March 2002, 06:49 PM
the only answer to that could be: it's just a movie. If they put it in the language it should be in half the movies would be in another language

Jastor
9 March 2002, 09:20 PM
WHAT says that basic (which is a mix up of most common known/most used languages) doesnt contain a character X ? (even thou it would be drawn otherwise to what we're used to :))

hint/tip: look at the end of WEG's Alien Encounters whre you got the aurebesh map (it should be on the net to somewhere).

ONE THING thou that ive been missing is the numerics. wich (what i think) just consists of vertical lines and dots

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
9 March 2002, 10:29 PM
The people of the SW universe use several methods of writing - Arabic letters like we do, Aurebesh...

BTW, I believe that Aurebesh numerals are the same as Arabic ones, evidenced by the fact that Aurebesh writing and Arabic numerqaols appear on the same computer screens at the same time in RotJ.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
9 March 2002, 11:56 PM
I checked the aurebesh and the X or xesh is the shape of a triangle.

However, it's just a little thing. If you bring up a point like this than you have to question a lot more things and by the time you are done it is no longer enjoyable to watch a movie.

This is what is called: suspension of disbelief.

Jastor
13 March 2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
The people of the SW universe use several methods of writing - Arabic letters like we do, Aurebesh...

BTW, I believe that Aurebesh numerals are the same as Arabic ones, evidenced by the fact that Aurebesh writing and Arabic numerqaols appear on the same computer screens at the same time in RotJ.

if you look at the numerals, in the stormtrooper helmets, or the sheet for ship registration, the numbers (for the transponder curve, distance etc.) IS only vertical lines and dots.