PDA

View Full Version : Senator Palpetine/Darth Sidious-Same Person?

Grand Admiral Jason
9 March 2002, 05:15 PM
I was looking at http://www.darklords.net, and it said the Senator Palpetine and Darth Sidious might be the same person. I was thinking about when first saw Episode I. Darth Sidious looks a lot like the late Emperor Palpetine.

vongkiller
9 March 2002, 05:55 PM
I was thinking that too when I saw Episode one. I think that's not only highly possible but that it's true

dgswensen
9 March 2002, 06:37 PM
I always assumed they were the same person. I've heard a lot of people speculate about Sidious being Palpatine's clone or some such, but I don't buy it. I think they are one and the same.

Jastor
9 March 2002, 07:40 PM
most people (including myself) that ive talked to consider the two to be the same, several factors, ie the way they dress the same (the Emperor and Sidious) and their personality.. example:
Sidious (TPM) "begin landing your troops"
Emperor (RotJ) "your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon are walking into a trap. a whole legion of my best troops awaits them."

dgswensen
10 March 2002, 12:06 AM
To me, it's all in the voice and the way Sidious pronounces his words. There are a few times where he speaks and it just sounds like a dead giveaway to me. They sound exactly the same.

Maybe it's meant to throw us off the trail... who knows.

Grand Admiral Jason
10 March 2002, 08:55 AM
Here's some reasons why I thought Darth Sidious and Palpetine are the same people

[list=1]
1. Both Sidious and Palpetine (as the Emperor) both wear long, black robes.
2. Both want the heros to be killed
"Kill them. Kill them all." Darth Sidious
3. Both have Dark side (a.k.a Sith) abilities.
4. Both rarely come and visit their little "apprentices", they talk to their "apprentices" through the HoloNet or something similar.
5. Last, but certainly not least, they're both just plain creepy!
[/list=1]

Nazgul
10 March 2002, 09:55 AM
Not to mention their both the same actor, ;)

dgswensen
10 March 2002, 10:15 AM
Very true, but he wasn't credited as Sidious until AOTC. He wasn't listed in the credits for Phantom Menace (as Rick McCallum said, he <I>was</I> the Phantom Menace).

Grand Admiral Jason
10 March 2002, 11:58 AM
Palpetine/Darth Sidious are played by the same actor?

dgswensen
10 March 2002, 12:33 PM
Spoiler alert for anyone who might not know this...

Originally posted by Grand Admiral Jason
Palpetine/Darth Sidious are played by the same actor?
Yup. Take a look at the <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/Title?0121765">cast list</A> at IMDB.

Ian McDiarmid .... Supreme Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious

hotten2
10 March 2002, 02:00 PM
i think tha george lucas was to lazy to cast another actor... it could have been the queen for all that he care (e1= like bullet smashing glass in a silent movie)

Nova Spice
10 March 2002, 02:47 PM
I hate to sound like a real jerk here, but everyone has known they are one and the same for several years now. It doesn't take a lot of imagination. :D

dgswensen
10 March 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
I hate to sound like a real jerk here, but everyone has known they are one and the same for several years now. It doesn't take a lot of imagination. :D You might, and I might, but "everyone" most certainly doesn't. Not only are there quite a few people who believe Palpatine and Sidious are not the same (because it's "too obvious," or that Sidious is a clone of Palpatine, or vice versa), but also there are (believe it or not :)) people who aren't that gung-ho about Star Wars, and haven't yet made the connection.

To quote a non-Star Wars fanatic friend of mine just stepping out of Episode I: "I think there was something kind of suspicious about that Senator guy."

Just because we're a bunch of fanboys doesn't mean everyone is. :)

Nova Spice
10 March 2002, 03:57 PM
When I say "everyone" I refer to the people here at the Holonet, who by the way,are "gung-ho" about Star Wars. I wouldn't expect people who weren't "gung-ho" to have any clue about Palpatine and Sidious's identity.
This subject was discussed when TPM was first released, but that was THREE years ago. Episode II is now in the lime-light, so this is a rather out-dated topic. ;)

dgswensen
10 March 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
When I say "everyone" I refer to the people here at the Holonet, who by the way,are "gung-ho" about Star Wars. I wouldn't expect people who weren't "gung-ho" to have any clue about Palpatine and Sidious's identity.
This subject was discussed when TPM was first released, but that was THREE years ago. Episode II is now in the lime-light, so this is a rather out-dated topic. ;) Well... except for the Holonet member who posed this question in the first place, of course. ;)

darth maim
13 March 2002, 09:44 PM
Here's another BIG clue....

on the DVD in the voice over mode Lucas and Mcallum keep reffering to Sidious as Palpatine and vice versa... They also flat out talk about his dual role....

Tannik Tulo
25 March 2002, 10:04 AM
If you have get a chance read starwars the novel by George Lucas (if you can find a copy, not many left) cos the prolog is from the Journal of the wills, it says that palpatine rose to power through manipulating and corruptin the republic, once he had everything in place he closed himself off from the public eye and declaired himself Emperor, the republic became his new order. Palpatine in Lucas story was a darkside force user of great power and patience. So unless GL is changing his entire starwars history palpatine and sidiouse are the same.