PDA

View Full Version : NJO? No thanks

Jastor
9 March 2002, 08:52 PM
NJO is as attratictive to me, as a bath in bantha excrement.

"reasons? there are no reasons, who needs reasons when theres heroin", well here it goes:
a civilisation advanced enough to travel between galaxies should have no match to totaly wipe out the whole NR (even with the Imperial help).

salvatore (or what his name was) that wrote the first book (which ive read, unfortenaly :/) COULD have gotten me interested in NJO but no. a good plot. a far more worse ending than a mix of "a 7th generation copy of the star wars holliday special dubbed to jiddish and subbed to taiwanese" and Microsoft. AND !?!?!?! the last 100 pages was like: "ghaa, this book is booring to write, better end this as quick as possible". should need atleast one more book.

and what ive heard from other is (imho) that NJO is getting far and far away from the original ideas.so once again:

no thanks.

comments? please.. flames?? if you must.. send them to my email instead of posting them here.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
10 March 2002, 12:19 AM
This same opinion has been echoed many times on this board for the almost year that I have been a member. And like was said on those the NJO series is a very polar subject. By that I mean that either you love it or you hate it; their isn't a very big middle ground.

I am one of those people who likes it. Once I read the escape from Sernpidal I stayed up for the rest of the night until the next morning just to see if the mighty Wookiee Chewbacca had really died. Part of the draw for me is to see who is going to blink out like a bad blub next.

As for Salvalore's writing; I have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He was told to write a huge race that no one had ever seen and to kill off a beloved character. I think that he did a good job with what he was handed.

And I'm sure that everyone has their most loathed SW writer. My personal one is Vonda McIntyre. For you its Salavlore. But for many others its Kevin J Anderson bringing Daala back from the void again.

Jastor
10 March 2002, 12:28 AM
gha.. may be salvatore.. but also barbara (or who it is that writes YJK)

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
By that I mean that either you love it or you hate it; their isn't a very big middle ground.

There are plenty of good things that happen in the NJO, and there are some pretty lame things that happen too. I personally find the Solo kids to all be way too irresponsible to be Jedi Knights, and I am repulsed by how lax Luke is with their screw ups. No discipline, and I can only wince at how Luke seems to be destined to crank out dark siders left and right. I also don't think that the first few books followed a complete continuity. Relationships started in one book and were never mentioned again in the next.

But then there is Coran Horn...and the cool Jedi confrontations with the Vong. Noghri and Jedi fighting through Vong hordes. Cool stuff! Lightsaber in the eye trick....gross, but nifty.

I personally think that people should at least read the first several books to see if they like it. You might hate it, or really like it....or you may be like me and think it is okay. Not the best Star Wars material out there, but certainly not the worst.

Jastor
10 March 2002, 12:52 AM
is it only me that thinks that having 12 jedis flying around in old X-Wings a little bit ... ghaa ... i got a very good word for it :) got it at my tounge...

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 12:56 AM
If you read into it just a little bit more....you may see that they are not old X-Wings, but very sophisticated newer ones.

Remember, I am not a big fan of the era, but it isn't as hokey as some make it out to be.

Jastor
10 March 2002, 12:58 AM
what i meant about old ones, is that there is so many other ships they can choose from :), better, faster etc. so why ones which design that have existed for over 30 years?

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 01:05 AM
I don't think you understand what I am trying to tell you. The difference between the X-Wing that Luke flew in the Battle of Yavin and the ones that the Jedi are flying during the Vong Invasion is quite a substantial. These ships are not 30 years old....they are new. They are the Republic's top of the line space superiority fighter. Better shields, better maneuverability, faster hyperdrive and sublight speed, and better fire power. They seriously outclass the older models. The design was kept because they were successful....and now they have been made better.

Jastor
10 March 2002, 01:09 AM
I KNOW that theyre not 30 years old. That theyre newly fabricated, but now its MY time to say "I don't think you understand what I am trying to tell you" there are many ships they can choose from, so why the "wannabe" mode and follow lukes footprints? and if i recall correct, they werent exactly working for the NR now werent they?

dgswensen
10 March 2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Jastor
salvatore (or what his name was) that wrote the first book (which ive read, unfortenaly :/) COULD have gotten me interested in NJO but no. a good plot. a far more worse ending than a mix of "a 7th generation copy of the star wars holliday special dubbed to jiddish and subbed to taiwanese" and Microsoft. Now I know you're exaggerating. :) Nothing on God's green earth is nearly as bad as the Star Wars Holiday Special. Even 255 pages of Luke doing arm-farts is ten times the storytelling of the Star Wars Holiday Special (if I may engage in a little hyperbole of my own). :)

It's to be expected that not everyone will dig the NJO. I haven't read any of it myself, because it doesn't interest me, but I've read a few things <I>about</I> it, and some of it has potential. On the other hand, I have a close friend and fanatic SW fan who is so disgusted with the state of the SW universe that he has personally decided that after the Battle of Endor, the Rebels and Ewoks just dance... forever. Nothing else happens after that.

But when it comes to NJO and gaming, just take what you want and leave the rest. :)

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 01:16 AM
No need to get rude....just make your comments a little more clear. Keep in mind that plenty of people who were important in the Rebellion and Republic were flying in X-wings before Luke ever sat in one. They are what is most abundant, and since they have worked very well in combat, they kept them.

Jastor
10 March 2002, 01:18 AM
i wasnt meaning to sound rude. damn :) robots got it more easy, only transfering the information direct in binary, no disturbances.. well, if your name isnt R2D2 that is :)

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 01:24 AM
I understand exactly what you mean about the Jedi in the X-wings. It isn't the ships that bothers me though. It is the fact that they are for the most part loose cannons. Luke is either to dense to see this or is to scared to start exerting some restraint. He isn't much of a Master for those clowns. I mean, in the beginning of the series, it only really seems that Luke (aside from kind of being a push over), Mara, Corran, Kam Solusar and Tionne are the only ones that seem to have their act together. There has to be some "Order" in order for it to be called "The New Jedi Order.

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 01:26 AM
Still though, some of Corran's antics are worth reading. They have some pretty cool fights if you at least read up to the fourth book.

Jastor
10 March 2002, 02:42 AM
:)

"thanks for helping us, now were off"
"where to?"
"adventure, exitment, a jedi crave theese things"

hehe

Grand Admiral Jason
10 March 2002, 06:50 AM
I think Lucas just wanted to get rid of sequal Star Wars novels, so he allowed the NR and Imperial Remnants to be destroyed.

Talonne Hauk
10 March 2002, 07:17 AM
If all you've read of the NJO is Vector Prime, you wouldn't know if the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant are destroyed, would you? Because, in fact, they aren't. (I've read all the way up through Dark Journey.) The Imperial Remnant is consolidating its strength, and the New Republic is down, but it's not out. The NJO simply blows me away at times. At other times, it's only entertaining. The older EU books were too predictable, in my opinion. A Solo kid kidnapping here, a Dark Jedi there, but everything turns out okay in the end. Yay. Yawn. At least now, there is the idea that anyone can be lost, in one way or another. Two major characters have made the big hyperspace leap, and because of that, the characters around them have changed. That's good, realistic, gritty writing. And it's what the Star Wars books needed. I wouldn't make a film out of them, because the films have a different atmosphere. But the books are so much better for having a depth of realism.

Jedi_Staailis
10 March 2002, 09:03 AM
I, for one, have enjoyed the series. It has a rather unique plotline, takes some big risks, and manages to pull it all together fairly well.

That's not to say that it's without fault or fail. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't have the same feel as the movies (or some of the better books). They probably didn't intend for it to have the same atmosphere, but the Star Wars feel is the whole reason I read Star Wars books.

Another gripe I have is that the storyline doesn't flow very smoothly. Characters tend to drop in and out at complete random. Danni Quee is a good example. She plays a major role in the first book, has much a much smaller one in the next couple, then vanishes until Star by Star, where's she has a fair amount of time in the spotlight. This happens to all sorts of characters.

The latest character death made me really mad.

SPOILER ALERT

I was okay with Chewie's death. Yes it was sad, but I felt it was well done. Anakin's death was different. I was really started to get into his story. Between the raw Force potential, the growth to leadership roles, and the relationship with Tahiri (which is hardly even mentioned in Star By Star), he was becoming a very interesting character, and they cut all that off. Yes, it does capture the feel of a life ended prematurely, but this is Star Wars, and I kinda wanted a happy ending.

END SPOILER

To conclude: there are major flaws with the NJO series, but it is a unique idea that expands the Star Wars universe. The story is compelling, and also creates a good setting for our RPG games. They're worth a read.

Krad-edis
10 March 2002, 09:58 AM
I love the fact that all posts are archived (at least they are pretty far back it seems). Here is a blast from the past that signifies that some people really hate or really love the series. However, I feel the same way then as I do now. It has good points and bad points.

NJO Summary Rant (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3177)

This topic seems to be a never ending battle.