PDA

View Full Version : Deck Plan Layout Question

Gutrender
10 March 2002, 11:53 AM
When laying out a deck plan for a ship, how many cubic meters (or yards) needs to be allocated per ton of cargo capacity?

I was playing around with different figures and ended up weighing my microwave oven. With that I came up with about 20lbs per cubic foot of cargo as an assumed average - this leads to 540 lbs per cubic yard or roughly 4 cubic yards per ton. Does this seem reasonable?

Chris Curtis
10 March 2002, 08:10 PM
Well, one quick way to gauge relative mass/volumes (i.e. density) is this: one metric ton (1000 kg) of water would take up 1 cubic meter (about 1.31 cubic yards).

Water is relatively dense compared to most things we actually deal with in real life. Sure the material they're made out of might be denser than water, but likely a lot of the item's actual volume is air/empty and so the density of the actual object as a whole is probably less than half that of water.

So if you're trying to figure out what might be an "average" volume taken up by "cargo" (i.e. an average of a wide variety of cargo), then 4 or maybe 5 cubic meters per metric ton would probably be a good number. A lot of things won't take up that entire space, but some things would take up more.

So to actually answer the second question you posed, 4 cubic yards (though I would personally work in the metric units of 4 cubic meters) seems to be a fairly reasonable figure.

Gutrender
11 March 2002, 07:33 AM
I played around a little more and it seems to work fine but the confirmation lets me rest easier. I can completely fill the ship's cargo bay with microwave ovens, or max cargo lift capacity with 3 M1A1 Abrams tanks with plenty of volume left over.
FYI - Abrams tank comes in at about 165 lbs per cubic foot of occupied volume.