PDA

View Full Version : A Map/ Campaingish Project. Very weird.

The Random Slicer
10 March 2002, 10:46 PM
Hey all. Well, I'm RPing in a bit of a weird, freeform SW universe. Its about 2 years old, and while the RPing (writing etc, its message board based) has come a long way, I'm not happy with a lot of it's roots.

So I'm trying to lay down a different setup. I want it to take place immediately after the Thrawn trilogy (brilliant writing, that. Anyway.)

So right now, I'm randomly placing planets in sectors based off Lowlight's SW map. Mine's a bunch prettier. Resultingly, it rapes modem users, and its not done.

I'm going to add political mapping when I get it laid out. (its not done yet, only most of the Northern Quad is.)

Comments and suggestions are very welcome. Please try to focus on the map, though.

http://learndifferent.clanpages.com/map

blitzkreig
11 March 2002, 02:08 AM
i can say wow.

though i haven't had the time to look at the entire map and play with it any i have to admit that you have created a most handsome creature. the only thing i can suggest is maybe add either a hyperlink to a page detailing relevant facts about the planet (maybe drawn from books, especially for your campaign) or have it so that the relevant bits pop-up when you move the mouse over them (like the drop down menus on the swrpgnetwork).

keep up the good work

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
11 March 2002, 05:39 AM
hmmm, if any comments... when clicking on the Elrood sector... the enlarged pic looks a tad squished top to bottum :p

The Random Slicer
11 March 2002, 01:07 PM
Fixed that, thanky. Stupid HTML error. GJ me.

Progress: finished the entire east quadrant. Hooray.

This is the first revision of the map. I intend to incorporate hyperspace routes as I finish the whole thing.

Aaron B'Aviv
11 March 2002, 03:26 PM
Wow... that's a really pretty creation. Much nicer to look at than the original black and white.

Although the model you base it on isn't the map I would rely on, you've done an excellent job of updating it. The next time someone asks for a galactic map, I'll send them to this one.

The Random Slicer
11 March 2002, 03:48 PM
Although the model you base it on isn't the map I would rely on, you've done an excellent job of updating it. The next time someone asks for a galactic map, I'll send them to this one

Really?
Crapola. The thing I like most about the map is the sectors gridded out and all. I'd be more than happy to move planets/systems about to reflect greater accuracy.

Tis not done, and if you want to help, I can ferret out trimmed down versions of the .PSD files. Makin it purty is the easy part. Above all, it should be functional

I based it off the Lowlight stuff because to me, it seemed to be the most complete in some ways, and the least headache inducing.

The Random Slicer
11 March 2002, 11:34 PM
I suspect I'm adding to my own headace, but someone finally got decent scans of the NJO map to me.

I've already created a more user friendly version of it. While ugly, it is effective.

http://learndifferent.clanpages.com/map/sw-map.gif

Now the trick is to merge the two...

wolverine
12 March 2002, 02:47 AM
Not bad.....

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
12 March 2002, 05:46 AM
"Do or Do not, there is no try" :D

j/k!

hey, u're site is looking good sofar... not everything starts out perfect ... what matters is it looks good in the end and you acomplished what ya set out to do... :)

til, then... keep up the good work!

Aaron B'Aviv
12 March 2002, 09:03 AM
Wait... I didn't say I didn't like it.

The Lowlight Map is convenient in some ways because of its completeness- name any world ever mentioned in any source, and odds are, it appears somewhere on the Lowlight map. The only problem, of course, is that not all planets mentioned are mentioned along with the sector they're in. So some of the work on the Lowlight map is guesswork.

I agree that the fact that everything is placed in a sector is convenient. If your group wants to agree to abide by the placements of the Lowlight map, then everyone will be happy. But I prefer to go with the slightly less orderly and less-inclusive but thoroughly researched "official" map that's appeared in all the books of the NJO series as well as in the WotC CRB. The NJO map sometimes contradicts the Lowlight map, and in places where it does, I would side with the NJO map. If you're a completist, you might want to crosscheck your map against the NJO map to fix any contradictions. Otherwise, stick with the updated Lowlight map you've created.

Master Dao Rin
12 March 2002, 11:22 PM
Could you post a url for that backdrop of the galaxy picture please?

st-153-45
13 March 2002, 04:20 AM
maybe im mistaken but where is the koornacht cluster???
it could be ive missed it but i thought it is somewhere above coruscant
i think its called farlax sector

The Random Slicer
13 March 2002, 08:16 AM
I yoinked the image off some astronomy site. Did a google image search.

I figured out how to split up the NJO map =]

Its going to take a lot longer, but the result should be most pleasing.

farlax

I'll look into it.

The Random Slicer
7 April 2002, 10:15 AM
http://www.geocities.com/swgalaticmap/

Its pretty much done =]

Aaron B'Aviv
7 April 2002, 11:07 AM
Wow... I'm really impressed. You've done a nice job with that map.

Grimace
7 April 2002, 12:36 PM
That DOES look pretty. What program did you use to create it?

I was curious...on the main page, you have on the lower left an area that shows the Mid Rim, Outer Rim and so on. Is that simply a color coding thing, or is it supposed to be links to those areas?

All in all, the loading works fine, though I'm on a cable hookup, so that might help me. It's legible, so it makes it easy to read. Navigation is a little "iffy". The cursor changes to a clicking finger, but unless I'm specifically looking for a star, I'm not sure what area (Mid Rim, Outer Rim, etc) I'm clicking on when I'm moving around the main map. I'm not sure if you can fix that, but I think it might help a little.

My opinion, though....Good Job!

The Random Slicer
7 April 2002, 12:58 PM
I used Adobe Photoshop 6.0 in conjuction with an old picture of a galaxy I had sitting on my HD. I compressed all the images using Macromedia Fireworks 4.

Someone managed to get me a good scan of the NJO map. I "flattend" it. Any planet marked by a red dot indicates the official position according to the book's map. The rest are my educated guesses.

Theoretically, I could turn the color code to navigation, but that would be an even bigger pain in the butt. Its just a key. If its not "colored" its Outer Rim.

Edit:

Most of the images are 20-30k, tolerable for dialup, IMO.