PDA

View Full Version : Why are you quoting all this #@$* ????

Sanjuro
11 March 2002, 09:05 AM
OK, I mean no offense here to anyone on the network, but have you noticed that a lot of people seem to quote extremely long posts just to respond to one statement within them. I know that you cant just quote a highlighted portion of a post, however, once you have chosen to quote a previous post, you can always delete that portion of the quote which is not relevant to your response before, or after, typing your reply. I am sorry if I have offended anyone here, but I just find it unecessary and a waste of good network space. If I have angered anyone, then I apologize.B)

reliant
11 March 2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Sanjuro
OK, I mean no offense here to anyone on the network, but have you noticed that a lot of people seem to quote extremely long posts just to respond to one statement within them. I know that you cant just quote a highlighted portion of a post, however, once you have chosen to quote a previous post, you can always delete that portion of the quote which is not relevant to your response before, or after, typing your reply. I am sorry if I have offended anyone here, but I just find it unecessary and a waste of good network space. If I have angered anyone, then I apologize.B)

I agree... :D

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
11 March 2002, 09:33 AM
Be glad I ain't double quoting the both of ya!

Reverend Strone
11 March 2002, 11:23 AM
Reliant, you're a brave man.

Iris
11 March 2002, 11:47 AM
Sanjuro does have a valid complant and it's something very common on any message board/newgroup that allows quoting or inclusion of previous posts/messages.

It doesn't take that long to edit the post down to what you want to quote and it's actually Netiquette to do it. Otherwise you end up spamming your fellow posters and you have less chance of your post really being read.

Chris Curtis
11 March 2002, 01:33 PM
It's not only correct netiquette to quote less than your own reply, but it's also in the HoloNet rules.

Unfortunately, having observed this board for a few years now, I can attest to the fact that the majority of new members don't seem to actually read the FAQ/rules. They usually get better over time and a select few start out as very useful posters with good netiquette. (For instance, revstrone has been a great member since joining recently. ;) )

Rick Vogt
11 March 2002, 02:10 PM
I agree in general......but there are many factors to figure into the equation.

Basically, it's like women and men arguing over the toilet seat being up or down....at least to me.

Some people didn't learn about the editing posts....and some don't always have the time.....but the biggest percentage just don't care....but, the way I figure......if you can't spend a little time reading whats been posted by someone then bypass them.

Yes, it would be nice if things were done right from the begining, but this isn't a perfect world......and the little things that irk us are usually just a sign that we are irked with something that, while being an actual problem, are things that could be let go without further complaints.

Anyway, we all goof up time to time.......even on a consistent basis.....so, given my choices...I'll pick on my own weaknesses before I pick on someone elses. B)

Gulmyros
11 March 2002, 02:20 PM
Aside from being a Netiquette issue, or just about having nice and tidy boards, quoting extremely large passages of text also slows down the loading of threads.

Now, if you need to quote a bunch, go ahead. But I think Sanjuro's original beef was that there are folks who always use the "Quote" button at the bottom of a post, and don't trim down the quoted post. Especially when the post you're replying to is long (I should know, I've written some doosies in my day) and the point you're making is only about a small section of the original post... Well, that's just a lot of wasted bits and bytes that the HoloNet has to load up each time the thread is viewed.

So it's a matter of personal preference, but it's also a practical matter as well. And given the HoloNet's surge in membership, the load on its server(s) lately, we'd all be wise to limit the amount of chaff we quote on a regular basis to what's necessary to make your point.

Reverend Strone
11 March 2002, 03:18 PM
Thank you for the compliment Chris Curtis. It's always nice to recieve positive feedback.

In defense of all Holonetters in general, I'd say that since I've joined I have come to appreciate that the degree of consideration and maturity exhibited on these forums exceeds any I've ever read before. Just trek on over to the Ain't it Cool feedbacks for an example.

This is the first forum group I've ever joined, and it comes down to that very fact. People here are generally very good users. There are a bunch of other places I've visited but never had any desire to join in because they're so mean spirited or just unprofessional. We have our fair share of over the top incidents once in a while at the Holonet, but overall, this place is a pleasure to post on and the people here are fun to converse with.

That's why I keep coming back for my fix everyday.

dgswensen
11 March 2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by revstrone
since I've joined I have come to appreciate that the degree of consideration and maturity exhibited on these forums exceeds any I've ever read before. Just trek on over to the Ain't it Cool feedbacks for an example.Ugh, that cesspool. I second what you said. Thank God Holonet is the opposite of that :)

For my part, I try to trim quotes as much as possible, and when I don't need to, just hit "reply." I think I quote a bit too much, since I dislike being taken out of context. I guess I'd rather be wordy than misunderstood.

*goes off to read the FAQ*

reliant
12 March 2002, 04:49 AM
Like my earlier reply says, I agree. I just couldn't resist the temptation... :D

Usually I like to quote original posts as little as possible. If I'm posting, it's usually because I have something to say so I don't want to bog people down with what they already read. If lots of posts have come between my post and what I am responding to, I'll put a few lines of the post of origin into mine, just so people know what the heck I'm talking about. Using someone else's huge quote followed by one or two words is just stupid. If you only want to post that you agree, just say it and be done.

Oh, and as a new member I really DID read the rules and FAQ... :raised:

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
12 March 2002, 06:33 AM
i don't bother with quotes in the first place...I just say what i gotta say .... thats what the reply button is for... to reply with :) at most, a simple addressment to the person in the subject line or at the start of the paragraph your about to type...

having all the typing tools buttons availble are nice... but it don't mean ya always got to use them... to learn to use the simple [ ] [/ ] codes as your midsentance typing is just as effective and when quoting, you can be direct, precise and to the whole point... just as when i use a word processor. they're all the same for hot-key codes and is more efficient than to stop in mid sentance, take that mouse to point and click on some button on the tool bar...

copying the whole person's speach actually takes more effort than a simple few words or a single sentance...

wel, thats what i have to say on this subject :)

Dark Knight
16 March 2002, 12:03 AM
It all comes down to one thing, I'm lazy. ok i said it, there. satisfied? I could go into a quote and chop it all up and get a finely defined point. OR i could push the quote button and type to my little hearts content. I'm a gamer not an editor.

darth maim
16 March 2002, 08:46 PM
yes. I agree with you.

darth maim
16 March 2002, 08:47 PM
the above reply is an example of just the sort of crap I hate to see... it just happens to fall under someone who I may or may not agree with but you have no real idea who or what I'm talking about. I'd rather have to wade through pages of rehashed crap than deal with frickin posts that make no sense because the dimwit didn't quote a damn thing!

dgswensen
16 March 2002, 09:17 PM
I agree!!!

:D

reliant
18 March 2002, 09:48 AM
LOL

I think someone is gonna die on this rant before it's all said and done... I just hope it isn't me... :D

Oh and by the way: I agree...