PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Guri?

GreenCape
12 March 2002, 05:56 AM
I don't know if this should go in this section, if not, go ahead and move it.
On a side note, does anybody use human replica droids in their games, either as PCs or as NPCs?

Deck
12 March 2002, 07:07 AM
Well, which time frame are you where you want to know the status of Guri? After <i>Shadows of the Empire</i>, or even after <i>Evolution</i>?

AT the end of the novel SOTE, she escapes in her ship, the <i>Stinger</i>. After travelling some time alone, she was thinking a lot about the past years. She decided that she wanted to get rid of the assassin programming she was equipped with.

Here the story line of SOTG <i>Evolution</i> (Comic) begins. At the end of the comic she managed to free herself of the hated programming. She finally met Dash Rendar - who obviously survived as well - in a bar and has some drinks.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
12 March 2002, 10:15 AM
Dang, i've really been out of the comic scene Deck...

If anything, Guri was a definate Hottie of an android / cyborg (if cyborg is more apropiate do to perfect organic impersonation qualitys) ... Also, as another person around here mentioned about droids being treated as pets and lesser, nor well much developed as remarkable notable beings, Guri really did break the mold in that respect...

Now, what i'm inteterested in is the STATS for Guri if they havn't been posted somewheres. Most Astromechs are rated fairly low on the Expert Class level... Similar with androids such as 3PO units... Guri's above and beyond that level...

Any takers & speculators on this??? :D

GreenCape, goto the homepage in my profile... I've a very human like AI I use as an NPC in the games i'm in... Her name's Raven and I'd definatly rank her to the same ranks of Guri for human characteristcs (though she's a ship AI, but no less sentient in the sort. and her abilities to gun & pilot arn't suffered like most people usually limits droids at) Yeah, I and several people at the board here are definate Droid / AI sympathizers and advocates. :)

darth maynard
12 March 2002, 10:51 AM
...can be found in the Rebellion Era Sourcebook.

She's very cool...B)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
12 March 2002, 12:03 PM
I didn't know... as I don't have all the source books yet... just the core rule book + secrets of tatooine

DarthMalaryush
14 March 2002, 11:40 AM
I have allowed PC HRDs in my game. These are the problems my HRD faces
1: The threat of discovery 2. Getting chips with the next level of skill
3. Repairs 4. waiting for someone who knows about her to come looking.

It's a lot of fun. Generally the HRD is higher level and operating at lower skill totals to blend in. Character goals can be tricky but I hadd fun with it.

Ghost In The Holocron
15 March 2002, 10:36 PM
I'm afraid I can't add much to the Guri discussion -- I don't have any SotE or Rebellion Era stuff of my own. All I know about Guri are the basics: cool/hot assasin droid, 9 million creds worth, original creator silenced by Xizor, eventually escapes her asassin programming, and so on.

I have a question, though (and decided to post it here so I don't clutter the boards). If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

What exactly is the technology behind Guri? Is she basically a droid steel skeleton with a simu-flesh coating (ala Terminator), or was she completely "organically" grown in some sort of cloning vat (ala Bladerunner replicant), or perhaps a combination of both? Has anyone seen Guri's "inner self" in any of the SotE comics or other sources? (Does she have actual woking human muscles and organs, or is it all mimicked by some really incredible mechanical-pneumatic-whatever "hard" technology?)

I'm creating a hunting falcon replica droid for one of my players, and I'm wondering how it might be built or grown (or both). The technology used will no doubt have implications on the creature-droid's stats (such as how it resists environmental hazards like hard vacuum, extreme temperatures, etc).

Thanks, all.

Ghost In The Holocron
16 March 2002, 05:52 AM
As if from nowhere!... the answer to my query about Guri and HRD technology just dropped into my lap!

Apparently the official SW site recently (3 days ago) updated their Databank section with entries on Guri, the Black Sun crime organization, and other items. I found the answer here: Guri -- SW Databank Entry (http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/guri/eu.html). The entry also gives a good idea of Guri's history and eventual fate, for those interested (and who, like me, don't have SotE and other published EU material).

Other items featured in the update include: Talon Karrde, Nym, Dash Rendar, Leebo, the Outrider, the Virago, Black Sun, Guri, Jaxxon, Kir Kanos, and the Z-95 Headhunter. I'm not sure how long some of these have actually been in the databank, but I believe a number of them are new. This official SW site update/feature is called THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE FRINGE (http://www.starwars.com/databank/news/2002/03/news20020313.html). Enjoy!

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
16 March 2002, 11:04 AM
Uber Cool! going there now!

the sw site surprises me too... didn't think they'd expand above & beyond their movies