PDA

View Full Version : The Value of Information in the SW World

Jedi_Silent_Bob
12 March 2002, 10:00 PM
Ok, here's my question.

Era: Empire (Shadows of the Empire Time Frame)

My characters have come across the insurgance of Borg into the Era. One of our characters being infected by such.

How much would the information be worth to an Info Broker or someone as such for the information of the invasion, and a sample of the Nanotechnology?

QWERTY
13 March 2002, 03:42 AM
depends on the whos gonna buy it. and what the borg have done to the sw galaxy

the empire will want the tech to be used and adapted but will not pay for it they will proberbly try to take it first and but second but having a human to study with the tech in them might be worth millions this is what i would pay as the gm govermant

info on borg, combat stats, ship power extra 2000-10000 credits

surviving vessels from combat with borg (cost price)

tech found that can effect the borg well 10000-100000 credits

a live borg specimen 30000credits

A borg vessel (yeah right) lots of credits

Odd bits of borg tech 10000-70000 credits

well theres my piece i never realy want to port anything to starwars from star trek but if anything i would port the borg if you can will you post what you have please.

but if i was to port anything it would be the imperial elven fleet from spelljammer

seeya

darth maim
13 March 2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by QWERTY
but if i was to port anything it would be the imperial elven fleet from spelljammer

seeya

I'm playing NJO (pre-invasion) and at the height of the invasion plan to use them. It should be interesting and turn the tides a bit. I'm also using Drow as a sect of dark force witches, and sylvan elves at war with the wooks on kasshyyk

blitzkreig
13 March 2002, 11:19 AM
star wars drow...the mind boggles at such a creature. :p

on a brighter note. your characters may hold valuable piece of information that would be beyond the ken of your average infochant. you would have to have someone that would be able to find the right clients for the information (imperials, corporate sector, maybe the hutts, etc.).

however, this infochant would definitely pay well. i would start negotiations for this information with a display of the borg technology so that the infochant can fully grasp what he is hearing (it would sound like crying wolf otherwise: "oh no! walking assimilating aliens are invading our galaxy enslaving populations as they go" - feh, who needs the vong when you have the borg)

once suitably convinced that the characters aren't jerking his chain, negotiations would open in the high six digit category around 500,000+ (remember that the information is particularly valuable when offering a specimen and countermeasures in the mix).

for technology and nanotech you could market that to a variety of corporations and the concievable uses for nanotechnology makes the head spin (medical, weapons, armor, cybernetics, starship construction, computers, droids, etc.). i would certainly market it to numerous competitors, incomplete, so that there is a rush for this new tech. this could make several million and would probably involve lots of corporate espionage and revenge.

BrianDavion
13 March 2002, 11:28 AM
Personally I think the Borg wouldn't be quite as major a player in SW as in ST... star wars (despite the claims of a few nutcase trekkies:) has FAR greater technolgy.. I think in that conflict it'd be the BORG who where the underdog :). so compared to star trek the borg wouldn't likely be quite as valueable...

ohh they'd be a threat but not as much so.. mind you if the Borg managed to assimalate something that had a LOT

darth maim
13 March 2002, 11:32 AM
Pretty sure the borg and the vong would be quite the enemies of one another... mostly from the vong standpoint. They'd be turned into the infidel technology.... what worse fate could you imagine for a vong.

BrianDavion
13 March 2002, 11:55 AM
Personally I think the Borg wouldn't be quite as major a player in SW as in ST... star wars (despite the claims of a few nutcase trekkies:) has FAR greater technolgy.. I think in that conflict it'd be the BORG who where the underdog :). so compared to star trek the borg wouldn't likely be quite as valueable...

ohh they'd be a threat but not as much so as in star trek... fact is, star wars weapons seem to be a MUCH higher power.... the federation has taken a diffrent step, raw power as opposed to fancy frequnces.

so when thinking of the value of Borg tech don't try and think of it as "uber powerful" think of it as more of a curiosity, I mean, take a look at what the borgs are like: weaponry... likely average to unimpressive.
sheilds: can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet they aren't going to raise eyebrows.
sheer size: well the borg cube is about 3000 metres cubed so thats pretty darned big, but SW has een bigger, it'd be impressive but it wouldn't be seen as an engineering miricale, SW has built the death star and could build ships like the borg cube if they wished to.

speed: lets face it, compared to the hyperdrive even transwarp is pretty slow.

so the borg'll be intresting but likely not seen as a threat by the core worlds.

QWERTY
15 March 2002, 06:30 AM
I'd be intrested in seeing what youve got i might be able to help if you dont mind it. i have a good number of the spelljammer books + freedownloads