PDA

View Full Version : What the #$^&!!!!

Donovan Morningfire
14 March 2002, 08:08 PM
I was just in the midst of making a post (a somewhat long one) and I suddenly got logged out. All I did was hit the submit reply, and the screen saying that unregistered users can't do that pops up. And to top it of, the post was completely wiped. What gives!?!?!?!

Grimace
14 March 2002, 08:19 PM
I believe that the site has some sort of "downtime" timer on it, and if it takes too long before you take any action (say if you are posting a long message), it might log you out. It's done it to me a couple times. In fact, once tonight already!

Use the back button to get back to where your post is typed out (it shouldn't be deleted) and copy/save it. Then go back to the main page, log back in...go back to the forum where you want to post, and paste it into a reply. Presto! Should work...it does for me.

Hope that helps.

Donovan Morningfire
14 March 2002, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up Grimace. Unfortunately, I did lose that post. Ah well. Sorry if my prior post sounded nasty. I was more or less venting. Still thanks for the heads up on that, and I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one that's happened to.

(Alas, I had been trying to remember all the RPGs I've every played. That's probably why it timed out on me :D)

Gulmyros
14 March 2002, 10:57 PM
Interesting. I was just telling someone else in another thread that I've gotten in the habit of copying the text of all my posts before I hit the submit button, just in case. I've gotten burned so many times by so many different boards, that it's just habit anymore.

And since it takes about zero extra time, it might be something worth doing until the HoloNet finds a new home with unlimited bandwidth for life, or something equally juicy. :)

Deck
15 March 2002, 12:33 AM
I once had problems, too, when I hit the submit button. There was a message called "No thread specified". When hit the back button, the posting field was empty, the post was lost. Since this day, I copy the text I wrote (for long posts), before hitting the submit button. :)

Donovan Morningfire
15 March 2002, 05:57 AM
I usually do the copy text as well, due to the problems Deck mentioned, but it last night I'd hit submit forgetting to make a copy. But that was the first time it logged me out completely.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 March 2002, 10:22 AM
If and when youre making a very long post or get the servery busy messages... simple:

rightclick with the mouse on the top of page "holonet forums" and open innew window .. either way, openening that new window will log ya back in... then all ya do is submit yer post

(also works well for the server busy messages as ya will know when the servers free again, even at most an hour later....)