PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Gunslinger (SWRPGNetwork)

TC-3
15 March 2002, 12:29 PM
This thread is for comments on the entry entitled "<a href="http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=44f83adb7a880bca220f42508d9f0966&id=941" target="_blank" title="This link will open in a new window.">Gunslinger</a>" located on SWRPGNetwork. Please post your comment on this entry below using the "Post Thread" button; you may also post a comment via a link from the entry itself.

Thomas
15 March 2002, 12:29 PM
This character archetype was based on Steven King's 'Gunslinger' series, wasn't it? Are there any plans for a D6 conversion

GMSarli
15 March 2002, 02:31 PM
Nope, it wasn't inspired at all by Stephen King's "Gunslinger" series. I put it together based on stuff like (obviously) Gallandro and the WEG quick draw rules from Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook as well as too many westerns to mention. I know "The Quick and the Dead" (Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, etc.) was on a few days before I wrote it, so I'm sure that had some influence. Also, I've played the Deadlands RPG before, so that must have given me some ideas.

As for a D6 conversion, do you mean a template? I'd just use Gallandro's template, "Elite Gunman."

AzmoDanakar
7 May 2002, 08:16 PM
Compare it to the Gundancer prestige class in FFG's Dragonstar d20 game. I think I like yours a bit better though, and will probably use it even in that game. ;-)

Lavaass
24 May 2002, 05:25 AM
Why does Intimidate have to be at +9 but you don't need Presice Shot. I think a good alternative to this Prestige Class is subtituting the Intimidate +9 for Precise Shot and maybe even a +6 Base Attack.

GMSarli
25 May 2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Lavaass
Why does Intimidate have to be at +9 but you don't need Presice Shot. I think a good alternative to this Prestige Class is subtituting the Intimidate +9 for Precise Shot and maybe even a +6 Base Attack.

Because I wanted Fringers, Scouts, and Scoundrels to be able to get into this class as easily (if not easier) than Soldiers. If I add an extra feat, then only humans or characters with 2+ levels of Soldier can qualify after 6th level. Improved Initiative and Quick Draw are both obviously necessary, and Point-Blank Shot is entirely appropriate for the class. Precise Shot is mostly used for shooting into a melee, something not entirely in line with the basic concept of a gunslinger.

The skill rank requirements, by the way, are an easy way to set a minimum level. You can't have 9 ranks in a skill until you are at least 6th level (or 15th level if it's not a class skill for any of your classes). Fringers are, I believe, the only way to stay the same class and qualify at 6th level. Everyone else has to multiclass.

For all those reasons, I keep the BAB requirement low -- I don't want to favor Soldiers over everyone else.

Reverend Strone
26 May 2002, 03:50 AM
... Which makes a lot of sense to me. This PrC seems to be more of the outlaw gunman kinda guy than a military trained guy to me, hence the lack of impediments for Scoundrels, Fringers and Scouts. These guys are ruffians, not career military.

Nice work GMSarli. I have a player who's in love with the PrC and has his Dug Scoundrel aiming for Gunslinger by 6th level.

Gray Area
9 June 2002, 12:58 PM
I love this class, my only suggestion would be the addition of tumble to the list of class skills. It seems appropriate for our gun fighter hero to be able to make the dramatic rolls and tumbles as he works his way through a chaotic saloon shoot out.
I don'y feel this would unbalance the class, but is certainly in keeping with the feel of the class.

Reverend Strone
9 June 2002, 02:58 PM
And might that be because you're playing a certain Dug aiming for this PrC Grey? Heh heh.:D

Nova Spice
9 June 2002, 03:19 PM
Ah! The truth is revealed! Gray Area, we've heard much about the Tatooine trials the Reverend has put you guys through....:D Any particular reason you interested in the Gunslinger? In order to survive Strone's campaign maybe??? ;)

Reverend Strone
9 June 2002, 06:59 PM
Well, turns out he ain't the guy Nova. Knock me down if he doesn't sound just like him though, and seeing as how there's only about 12 folks living in New Zealand I jumped to the conclusion. Astonishing co-incidence though.

Pardon the off-topic distraction guys.

Gray Area
9 June 2002, 09:09 PM
I'm not a Dug, I don't walk on my hands. I have a player looking at the class, she plays a fast moving scoundrel character and thought the fast action style suited the gunslinger. What are your thoughts on it? I'm thinking of trying it, though she won't be there for a while.

Tossk
26 January 2003, 05:16 PM
Would it be appropriate to tack on Gamble to the skills, considering the six-shootin' scoundrels these people are like to toss the dice, or, better, play the cards.

Jacen13
26 April 2003, 06:09 PM
Sheeash-o-mongo! That is one cool PrC!
Knwo that you think about it, Jango Fett should have a couple levels of this class. That is a really neat though. I really like it.

Humble minion
3 May 2005, 06:22 AM
And some feedback from someone who's used the class in game!

I put a Scoundrel 2/Soldier 4/Gunslinger 6 up against my 11th-level party last session, and he damn near cleaned their clocks (he did admittedly never face more than one PC at a a time). He would have butchered the undercover Jedi (no lightsaber defense) if he wasn't interrupted, and the scoundrel only survived because the gunslinger was by that stage more concerned with helping his employer escape than with finishing off the PCs. After obliterating two truckfuls of angry thugs, eventually he got taken down in a very Return of the Jedi-esque speederbike chase, and then was beaten into unconsciousness by the Force Adept using Kinetic Combat, but only after knocking about 50 VP off her in a single round of fire..

What is the moral of this story? Masterwork multifire heavy blaster pistol + rapid shot + 2d6 Deadly Accuracy = a LOT of damage in a very short time! I'd hesistate to call the class overpowered at this stage (I did roll very well for the guy), but I'm not going to put my PCs up against one again in a hurry, either...

Caylen
3 July 2006, 12:46 PM
I really like the combat abilities of this PrC. Powerful, but not too powerful, in my opinion.

I do have some problems, though. For a class that receives only 4 skill points per level, I think there are too many Class Skills associated with this class. I would remove Climb, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Jump, and Swim, as I don't see how any of them directly contributes to the role of winning blaster duels. I would add Tumble as a class skill, as having 5 ranks or more in Tumble adds a +2 synergy bonus to Defense while fighting defensively. Gamble might also be a worthwhile class skill, as it fits the stereotype of gunslingers being gamblers.

My two bits.

Ravnor
6 August 2006, 02:13 PM
I usually round off gunslinger as gang fighter's, they are the well rounded and are balenced. I would remove animal handle but that is it.