PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler text warnings / code?

dgswensen
16 March 2002, 01:30 PM
This is a mixed question / suggestion. I've noticed a lot of spoiler warnings regarding Episode II, which have taken off ever since the latest trailer came out. Therefore, a lot of people are putting a lot of white space in their posts in order to warn others off from reading them.

Has anyone ever considered modifying the vBCode (if this is even possible) to make a tag that essentially turns the text white, so you have to highlight the text to read it? Theforce.net uses this technique, and it's very handy for preventing people from accidentally reading spoilers (as I have a couple times already).

I'm not sure if this could even be implemented, but it would be very handy if it could.

Reverend Strone
16 March 2002, 07:51 PM
Let me second this one. It's a great idea DG.

At the moment it seems too that folks can post spoiler warnings at their own discretion. While this freedom is great, there have been times where spoiler warnings definately should have been applied but weren't. This can be incredibly annoying and inconsiderate.

Is there some kind of enforcable policy that can be implemented regarding spoilers? Perhaps something Moderators can police?

Armage Bedar
17 March 2002, 03:29 PM
Well, the rule is that threads started with the intention of discussing spoilers ONLY should go in <a href="forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=21">Rumors and Speculation</a>. Threads that are more relevant for other forums (like stats, adventure ideas, etc.) but contain some spoilers should have their title prefaced with "SPOILERS: ". Individual posts underneath a parent thread labelled as above should be assumed to possibly contain spoilers; everything else has no policy, right now.

Which is why a tag is a good idea, and I've been thinking about it for a while. The problem never really arose, so I never made it a priority. Well, it's here now ;-)

[spoiler=The Spoiler Code]When you select this, you can view it. Edit my post to see the proper code--or check out the FAQ.

dgswensen
17 March 2002, 04:43 PM
That's awesome! Thank you!

Reverend Strone
17 March 2002, 04:59 PM
Thanks Armage!

Vanger Chevane
26 August 2004, 01:48 PM
Doesn't work anymore.
or it shouldn't need to work with a spoiler=text. It should work just like the bold or italic text...

Darth_Cassed
26 August 2004, 03:54 PM
Wow thanks Armage!

We love the HNet for its service :D

Grimace
26 August 2004, 04:53 PM
It works if you type it all in. See what I wrote below about it.

It works, you just have to type in "spoiler=spoiler test" or "spoiler=Episode III" or whatever the spoiler is about. If you put in that = sign, and put it all between the squared brackets, it works.

Reverend Strone
26 August 2004, 09:31 PM
It no doubt means a bunch of work for someone, but it would be most helpful if this were an option that appeared in the vB code options right above when one is composing a post. I'm sure it's been considered before now- so there's no doubt a good reason it hasn't happened yet.

Vanger Chevane
27 August 2004, 02:37 PM
It would be nice if it did. Seems that it's not all that obvious the tag exists due to the number of posts I've seen recently containing Spoiler Warnings in plain text.

The more obvious & easier it is, the greater its use as intended.

IIRC Moridin isn't the Slicer Armage was, and I've no idea who in the Adminosphere is filling the role of Chief Code-Jockey. :P