PDA

View Full Version : On Wings of Rogues :)

Nova Spice
19 March 2002, 11:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew a lot about some of the elite starfighter squadrons of the Empire and the Rebellion.
*X-wings: Rogue Squadron, Red Squadron?
*Y-wings: Gold Squadron?, Grey Squadron?
*A-wings: Green Suadron?
*B-wings: Blue Squadron?

*TIE Fighters: Black Squadron?
*TIE Bombers: ?
*TIE Interceptors: 181st(Saber Squadron)
*TIE Advanced: ?

I've always assumed that for the Rebels, any squadron with color invoved was just part of a wing (i.e. Red Squadron on Yavin were just a dozen X-wings that were part of a greater Red Wing spread throughout the galaxy and that there is really nothing elite about them.)
Who are the best besides Rogue Squadron and the 181st?

I'm interested in the personal history of specific squadrons in the SWU as well as specific ships.

Deck
19 March 2002, 12:32 PM
The <i>Fanboy Association</i> over at StarWars-Rpg.Net have quite some stuff about the Alliance squadrons. They are very good quality articles. Here are some links:

<a href="http://www.starwars-rpg.net/swfa/issue1/rogue.html" target=_blank>A Brief History of Rogue Squadron</a>

<a href="http://www.starwars-rpg.net/swfa/issue1/Yavin.html" target=_blank>Fighter Squadrons of the Alliance</a>

Hope this helps! :)

Nova Spice
19 March 2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the link Deck ! This is just what I was looking for! :D B) :) ;)

The Admiral
21 March 2002, 02:13 PM
Hmm, well, to offer what I think is a slightly more common sense approach to the squadron naming conventions than is outlined by Jeff Boiver (Or something) The colour codes are organisational shorthand. The colours are basically designating 'blocks' of fighters, they're usually refrred to as groups.

This is almost certainly based on Allied tactics in WW2, where groups of fighters were identified by the coloured blocks of wood their squadron flags were kept on in the ops rooms. These blocks were either red, blue, or gold. (No fighter squadron would tolerate being referred to as 'Yellow Group') There was no green, nor grey.

This makes it much easier for command to issue orders; if all X-Wings are in Red Group, then you can order all X-Wings to do something. All other fighters would ignore that order. If a squadron is assigned to a location, then they're either given a fresh coat of paint to change their colour stripes, or form a new colour grouping. It is possible that the term 'grey group' is a general parlance to mean 'all fighters', it fits with it's usage in RotJ.

Again, this holds with Allied practises. A commanding officer would order a colouyr group to move, intercept, whatever, this order would be relayed to a radio operator who would then issue orders to each squadron forming that group. Command only hand to order specific groups to move. if I recall correctly from conversations with my grandmother (who spent five years working in the 'pointers') if there were more than three groups operating, they would be assigned a number, so you might have red 1, red 2, green and gold groups.

Squadron names, such as Rogue Squadron, are an affectation. A nick name. A mechanism by which a squadron can identify itself, but not an official term. Just as the 'Jolly Rogers' is a well known F-14 squadron, and has been a squadron name since 1943, the official designation of the squadron is VF-103, currently, part of CVW-17 of the USS Enterprize. Rogue squadron would also, most likely, have an official designation.

The same would hold true in the Empire.

As for specific squadrons etc, the Scimitar Wing of Imperial Bombers is covered in the ISB. They're notable for having all of their fighters painted bone white, as opposed to Imperial grey. Scimitar Wing operated as part of the Quiemat Fleet, and were the first unit issued the Scimitar Assault Bomber (named in their honour) by Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Ash DuQuennes
21 March 2002, 10:04 PM
Bang on, Admiral! Exactly how I've played my fighter squadrons.

A Squadron will have an actual alphanumeric identification, like TFS-123 for tactical fighter squadron 123, or somesuch. They might even have a nickname, like "Rogue," "Knave," or in our case, "Striker" Wing, with "Lightning," "Thunder," and "Hammer" Squadrons.

But if a squadron's role within it's group is attack, then it's probably going to be Gold Squadron.

Lokar
23 March 2002, 08:36 AM
Here are some ideas I use (based off of the USN Air Force units of WW2):

VB: Bomber squadron
VC: Composite Squadron
VF: Fighter Squadron
VJ: Support Squadron
VN: Training Squadron
VO: Observation Squadron
VP: Patrol Squadron
VS: Scout Squadron
VX: Experimental Squadron