PDA

View Full Version : Silent Death, Use it in a campaign?

Gutrender
19 March 2002, 07:22 PM
I am putting together my dream campaign. Ideally it will involve player control of some largish space battles (say 12 - 15 ships).

I am thinking of picking up a copy of Iron Crown Enterprise's "Silent Death" starship miniature combat game (They are back in business). I have found a website with some nifty conversions. But, I have only seen it, never played it. Does anyone here have experience with Silent Death? Does it flow quickly enough to maintain game interest/momentum? The group playing is adept with wargames so that is not an issue but if Silent Death is too slow playing it might be a drag.

Any alternate suggestions for gaming out large ship battles?

fyi here is that site - its a 5meg download
http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/SW_Silent_Death.pdf

Lakota
22 March 2002, 01:48 PM
Now I only played it two or three times (and it was like 10 years ago), but I thought it was an excellent system and a great time in a style of "roleplaying" I am not all that keen on...Miniature Battles.

Several STAR WARS GAMER issues actually have Star Wars ships converted into that system...check them out.

I was actually going to see if I could use it for me SW Game.

Good luck and have fun!

Ash DuQuennes
22 March 2002, 02:06 PM
Silent Death is a good ship combat system, but it's very hard on pilots. Think about that before plopping your beloved PC into the pilot's seat of any ship in Silent Death.

You can download Star Wars Silent Death (http://www.wizards.com/starwars/article.asp?x=gamer_silentdeath) here for free. It requires Adobe Acrobat first, which is also a free download at the above link.

Enjoy :)

Grimace
22 March 2002, 02:56 PM
I've played Silent Death a fair amount, and I'd tend to agree with Ash on how hard it is on pilots. If you're planning on having your players take the controls of fighters, you'll want to have backup PCs ready, as fighters can be snuffed pretty quickly.

All in all, as a fighter against fighter system, Silent Death is quite fun and should keep the interest of your players if they are slightly experienced in board-type gaming. It moves fairly quickly and keeps people's attention. I'd be careful with really HUGE battles, as you might end up with a lot of "wait for your turn" time while one person moves 20 fighters or so.

The biggest downfall of the straight Silent Death rules is in the Capital Ship department. They did a great many things right in their system, but they needlessly bogged things down in other aspects. I don't like how they work torpedoes in the Silent Death System. It's fairly easy, don't get me wrong, but it leads to a lot of counters moving all over the map and some bookkeeping on which fighter fired what at whom. Even the Star Wars Silent Death had this problem. (I played that game several times and LOVE it, BTW) My own little addendum to the rules for proton torpedoes was to place a firing limit on it for the various fighters. X-wings can only fire 2 a round (as shown in the movies). Same with Y-wings. I can't remember all of the other limitations I put on the missile firing fighters. If you don't do this, you end up with TIE Bombers that unload all of their torpedoes at once and snuff nearly everything.

Also, there's no capital ships completed in Star Wars Silent Death (to my knowledge). I made up the Corellian Corvette for SW: Silent Death and it worked pretty good. I was still trying to figure out massed batteries for Star Destroyers when my friends lost interest in the game....thus kind of killing my own interest.

So I'd say give it a shot, but be careful. Too many fighters, or lack of some basic house rules on certain things can lead to some serious mismatches and a ruined campaign.

DirkGreystoke
22 March 2002, 07:36 PM
I love Silent Death. It works great for the RPG because it is quick and fast. At time it can be lethal. But all you have to do is fudge a roll here or there and follow the instructions in the SWGamer article, which can be found on wizards.com/starwars. SD is far superior to the old Star Warriors game and I like it better than the standard RPG rules. There is less bookkeeping and the combat is more streamlined and realistic. I am currently making Jedi starfighters for SD right now. I also like it because it is easy for new players to learn.

As for game flow, it works much better than standard RPG combat....although the new system is much better. And as for proton torpedoes, just forget about putting the counters on the board...it clutters things up. The best part of SD is that it truly encompasses the films. There are less Rebel ships, but they are far superior to the Empire's. Good luck.

Mathis Kharr
24 March 2002, 05:49 PM
Personaly i use the old wedge system for ship combat. i liked it a lot. I hope WOTC comes out with a much better system for ship combat because i wasn't all that impressed with the ones they have