PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat (sort of) in Star Wars [help?]

BillyBeanbag
20 March 2002, 07:30 AM
Hey all!

My players were swinging through a new system last week and ended up on a space station to pick up a new ship they'd just purchased. A random encounter that resulted in a good old-fashioned bar fight caused the bartender to say something to the effect of "Wow, you guys can fight really well! Are you here for the tournament?"

To which the players responded... "What tournament?"

So I told them that every year, this planet plays host to a sort of "Ultimate Fighting" tournament, and for a 50 credit entry fee they could enter and try to win the big prize.

Now I had just sort of thrown this in, never really expecting my players to get gung-ho about it, and boy, was I wrong.

So now I need to prepare a tournament to for them to enter. I know the basics - that I need to come up with a slew of NPC's to match up against them, and I plan on using as many different species as I can find as 'exotic fighters' I am just wondering how the lot of you would stage the tournament.

I'm kind of plumbing for ideas here - so anything you want to add would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Donovan Morningfire
20 March 2002, 07:53 AM
From the sounds of things this could be treated as more of a fun diversion than anything major plot-wise. Have fun with it.

You can either go WWF Pay-per-View or use the setting of the Van Damme flick "Bloodsport," depending on how steeped in tradition this tourney is to the planet it's on.

As for running the tournament itself, I'd say have each PC do one fight in order to "qualify" for the big show.

Start with 16 brackets (mostly NPCs), and randomly determine who fights who in the first round, but make sure the PCs don't face each other (yet); in fact, you may want to put them at opposite ends of the brackets to save that fight for near the end.

Then run it single-elimination. You win, you advance. You lose, you're out. Next round is 8 fighters, then 4, then the final 2 duke it out. Probably going to want to stage the fights so that the players have at least a day to rest and recuperate.

Other than that, have fun with it. Maybe even develop a couple of the NPC fighters as potential rivals that could cuase trouble long after the tournament.

BillyBeanbag
20 March 2002, 08:03 AM
I actually enjoy the fact that my group is willing to take a fun side trek adventure.

the bracket is a good idea. I will have to steal that ;)

Since I only have a two player group, what do you think about having the player who's not involved in the tournament running the NPC during the other player's combat? I don't want one to get too bored while the other is 'busy'?

darth maim
20 March 2002, 08:39 AM
I've never liked the idea of PC's turning NPC ESPECIALLY to fight the other PC. Perhaps drop some information on his character in a round about way that someone plans to kill the other PC or some important official at the tournament. This will give him a reason to possibly join the tournament (to put a stop to this evil plan) or at very least he'll be lurking around playing while the other is fighting. Give him an encounter with a couple of assassins... who knows. That's how I'd handle it. Also he may want to place some bets so you'll have to choose a favored NPC to win, as well as assign some sort of odds system. Just warning you because the type of PC that'll enter a tournament is generally also the type that'll place large bets with the crimelords running things.

BillyBeanbag
25 March 2002, 12:22 PM
Well, the rough part's finished, now we get to do the fun stuff. I have drawn up my bracket and worked up all of the primary competitors on 3x5 cards. On one side I have a Stat block, and on the other side I have an image I gleaned off the internet to serve as a picture of the combatant. I was even able to make some notes on subplots that could be pursued by the characters if they so choose.

I went to the WotC site, and on the D&D 3e side I found a map in their map-a-week section that is for the Fight Club Arena. One of my players is bringing a Chessex Map and some minis... so it should be fun

The interesting thing is, this is sort of a one-off since it's a new type of adventure for my group, but I was able to tie in some elements from the continuing campaign.

I'll let you know how it went when I post tomorrow!

Wish me luck!

BillyBeanbag
26 March 2002, 06:14 AM
Double Post - with results of an evening of combats, interspersed with Roleplaying through encounters with a hut slaver, and much more.

I killed Bob. He made it to the semi-finals and fell to a wookie in melee combat. He could have yielded, and was given the chance to do so, but the Player stayed in character and pressed the attack, and the wookie retaliated... so we're going to have a new PC...

On the other hand Jasmine won the other semi-final and then got vengeance for the death of her 'Buddy Lizard Bob' (which I believe is a new warcry in my game) by slaying the wookie in the finals and winning the tournament...

The players really enjoyed themselves, they both said that this was a fun change of pace and they'd do it all again if given the opportunity. Now the new PC must get introduced and they can make their way on with their other job...

I ended up not having the players run the NPC's but I wished I had used a screen because I had a slew of crappy dice rolls where the whole group could see, and I would have like to fudge a bit in the name of creating drama... *sigh* And now I have a stack of 12 NPC cards with a species pic printed and glued to the back for illustration purposes... and the NPC stats on the reverse side of the 3X5 cards...

FlipDog 2000
26 March 2002, 07:20 AM
Just so long as that it doesn't turn in to a hecka long podrace that lasts 7 hours or so.
But thats how my group has worked in D&D as well...a little tourny to make some dough...meet some women...lose all of my gold/credits. I think we've even incorparated that in to one of the SW campaigns...