PDA

View Full Version : Why have we been abandoned?

Kayle Skolaris
20 March 2002, 11:08 AM
Why has the D6 portion of the gaming community been abandoned in the Conversions area? The last 10 conversion updates were all D20, with the last on the list being back before the New Year on the 30th of December. The D6ers haven't had a single conversion done for them in nearly 3 months. What gives? Do we not count anymore? Are we not important enough to warrant acknowledgement?

If I sound angry, it's because I am. It was D6ers who began this site and it was D6ers who made it worth maintaining for the owner of the site. Some of us have stuck by this site since 1999. I personally have been here since early 2000 and I've stuck by this site through over 2000 posts so far. But as a gamer I'm beginning to feel ignored. I don't play D20 and I don't foresee playing it anytime soon. I'm interested in D6 and I'm especially interested in conversions of D20 material to D6. I don't want to have to patronize a company I hate or purchase game material I won't use. Chances are good that sooner or later 50%-75% or even more of the material that's been converted from D6 to D20 on this site so far will be invalidated by WotC as they themselves translate it to D20 terms. That means a fair chunk of these conversions you've been scrambling to churn out will eventually be both useless and redundant and will have to be taken down. On the other hand, D20 to D6 conversion material doesn't have an expiration date. Its shelf life is indefinite because D6 is a dead line that will never have another product. We, the D6 gamers of this site, have stuck by this place for a very long time. I personally have stuck by this place for a long time. And while I may not speak for my fellow D6ers, I definitely speak for myself when I say that I feel my loyalty is being slighted by this lack of conversion material.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel strongly about this.

dgswensen
20 March 2002, 11:12 AM
Have you considered spearheading your own crusade and doing some D20 -> D6 conversions yourself?

If you feel that strongly about it, perhaps you are just the person to begin filling in the gaps.

Moridin
20 March 2002, 11:23 AM
Actually, Jan Tolbara has been doing some D6 conversions, but not posting news items. He's got almost all of Gamer #2 finished, and a good deal of Gamer #1.

Rigil Kent
20 March 2002, 12:02 PM
Speaking from the Submissions side, I'm seeing nearly no D6 pieces. There have been about two or three such submissions, but generally all I'm seeing is d20 stuff.

Kayle Skolaris
20 March 2002, 12:09 PM
Spearheading my own D20 to D6 drive would almost certainly require my purchasing D20 material, something I am extremely loathe to do.

Rigil, I once churned out D6 material on a daily basis, but no more. My campaign is winding down and I've taken up Babylon 5 Wars as a new way to waste my free time.

BrianDavion
20 March 2002, 02:08 PM
the reasons why there are more conversations from d6 to d20 is simple...

there are a lot more things to convert!

WEG has had it's RPG around for... a long time.
D20 is still pretty new, most of the D20 stuff seen so far, save a few things for E1 and the Vong have already been done for D6.

quit getting angry over something that bluntly put is fairly understandable.

once E2 comes out and WOTC produces stats for it they'll get put into D6 don't worry.

as for stuff being invalidated. I suspect it'll be a good many years before WOTC gets all the nifty D6 items done.. WOTC isn't going to get 10 years of gaming refurbashed in a year after all (something D6ers seem to love to forget is that D20 is new... OF COURSE THERE IS LESS INFORMATION OUT)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
20 March 2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Kayle Skolaris
Spearheading my own D20 to D6 drive would almost certainly require my purchasing D20 material, something I am extremely loathe to do.

Rigil, I once churned out D6 material on a daily basis, but no more. My campaign is winding down and I've taken up Babylon 5 Wars as a new way to waste my free time.

So what you are saying that you want the information without any work on your part. What you are saying, no yelling, in this forum is "Convert things for me so that I don't spend my time and my money on it."

I am the only one to have Alien species posted in submissions. And all of them are D6 to d20. I have even bought books in a system I loathe to do this.

So if you feel so strongly about this then make a little effort yourself.

jediazar
20 March 2002, 03:09 PM
Sometimes you just have to kiss the Wookiee yourself. I don’t wait for someone to convert a D6 book to d20. I go and buy the D6 book and convert it myself. Then I post it here so others can use it if they are looking for it.

And speaking of B5 I would love to have a Star Fury in the Star Wars setting. Talking about a kick butt fighter…hmmm I think I’ll go do some conversions.

Armage Bedar
23 March 2002, 10:56 AM
Sorry you feel that way, <b>Kayle</b>, but there simply tends to be more d20 gamers visiting the site and contributing these days. Moridin, Rigil, Gary, Jan and I would love there to be ten times as many D6 submissions as there are. We know there's a fanbase for them. In fact, I'd encourage anyone reading this to either submit something of their own in D6 and/or tell a friend to do so. The more material the better!

Oh, and Moridin is right. We do try to have conversions flowing relatively often, whether or not they actually are reported. What I'm going to do, I think, is write a script that will show you the latest material added, site-wide, so you can just check that. It'll have some customizability with it, of course.

::adds that to his long to-do list::

Kayle Skolaris
23 March 2002, 12:22 PM
Eh, I was mainly blowing off steam at the preferential treatment the D20ers get. It's slightly insulting in my view. Then again, that's just my view...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
23 March 2002, 09:46 PM
Wow, Kayle, you got ripped pretty bad for posting that it seems. But don't worry, there are still loyal D6er's out there, like myself, (I personally dislike the d20 system and wouldn' touch it w/ a 10 foot pole), and you may have even inspired me to submit material.

Kayle Skolaris
23 March 2002, 10:00 PM
I'm accustomed to it, really. I've been getting ripped for speaking my mind ever since declaring that "New Coke sucks" back when Coca-Cola tried foisting off some Pepsi clone on their customers back in the '80s.

darth maim
24 March 2002, 12:13 AM
Basically the reason for this is the same thing a lot of D20 players were crying about in rants and raves and such a while back... the lack of WoTC created material. By that I mean honestly new material (as in entirely WoTC) People complain that they are simply remaking things from the movies or stuff that's been made in D6 before... Of course they are if they didn't people would yell about how much more D6 had and how all the new movie stuff still wasn't made. For this reason there is not much to convert... want a D6 conversion of 98% of the new D20 material? Open a D6 sourcebook... it's allready there. You would know this if you opened a D20 book and read through it. I'm not slamming you for not buying books for a system you think blows... hey I never bought a WEG book either. :p

I think you would get more out of a request for D6 conversions if you said hey that new XJ X-wing is cool... I'd like that in D6 or something along those lines... not just a rant that makes you sound somewhat brattish (as do all blanket I'm personally being screwed by a website rants)... Again I mean no offense or personal jabs at you... just speaking my mind.

Kayle Skolaris
24 March 2002, 12:27 AM
Most of what I'm interested in comes from the Star Wars Gamer magazine, the Dark Side Sourcebook, and the Alien book (whatever it's called). There's a LOT of stuff from the Gamers that was promised, but never converted. Same with the Dark Side Sourcebook.

Moridin
24 March 2002, 07:44 AM
OK, two things:

Wow, Kayle, you got ripped pretty bad for posting that it seems.

Post a belligerant post, expect belligerant response. Tit for tat.

Secondly, we provide a free service. We shell out our own money to pay for these message boards and the server space, spend our own time and effort on this site, and you pay nothing for it. Then, to turn around and complain that you're not getting what you deserve in an angry and bitter tone, then expect no backlash? Please. Look, I don't know if you realize it or not, but we occasionally have some real life issues that come up. I'm trying to get my bachelor's degree, Gary Sarli's working on his Master's, Armage is trying to get into college, and Tony landed a big job at a programming company. Now, Gary does d20 conversions primarily because that's what we brought him on to do. Jan Tolbara has been doing Gamer conversions, just not posting news about it. I focus on the main site, because that's what I do and keeping fresh content for both systems gives everyone something.

Now, if real life intruding on our time isn't enough for you and you still feel you have some right to a free product, chew on this: the point of the Conversions site is to make the sourcebook usable by either system, not to give you free stats. We encourage d20 gamers to go out and pick up D6 sourcebooks, because many of them are damn good. Likewise, we encourage D6 players to pick up d20 sourcebooks and magazines because we want to see the product stay around. The Conversions site was not created so that you wouldn't have to spend money, it was created to encourage you to pick up a Star Wars RPG product regardless of its system.

We ARE working on the site constantly; I just started doing the conversions from Gamer #9, and we'd like to get everything caught up, but that takes time. We have not abandoned D6, which I think is a ludicrous notion given the large number of D6 players we have around (myself included). If you want to see it as some massive conspiracy theory, then by all means, do so, but don't point fingers or lay blame where it isn't due.

GMSarli
25 March 2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
Gary Sarli's working on his Master's ....

Actually I'm working on my PhD now. And don't think for one second that anyone who is going to put "Doctor" in front of their name doesn't work themselves to the point of collapse to get it (MD's and JD's aren't the only ones who work, you know).

So, yes, I've been pretty busy and if I can squeeze in a few hours every week to make new content for this site then I'm doing pretty good. Since I was brought here to do D6-to-d20, that's what I concentrate on when I do manage to find the time for it.

When d20 got started, those of us who played D6 were used to having a lot more material to work with. Thus, convert D6 to d20. Does it get replaced? Some of it, yes. Will it all eventually be replaced? I seriously doubt it.

BTW, you said the last D6 stuff was before the New Year. That's wrong and you know it, Kayle. I converted the entirety of Secrets of Naboo in January and I remember you posting comments on it before we loaded up the new site. The news posts for it didn't carry over when we changed over, but to refresh your memory try doing a Search by Source for Secrets of Naboo (http://conversions.swrpgnetwork.com/sort.php?s=&action=subcat&sortid=187). I worked pretty hard to convert the entire sourcebook and I resent the fact that you seem to think I "owe" you more.

Now, that being said, I am going to try to find time to do a few more d20-to-D6 conversions. You should still buy the books, however ... we're not doing all this work so that D6ers get a free ride (or vice versa) but so all material from either system can be used by anyone. You should still buy books you're interested in because we generally do not post extensive descriptions of the items in question (admittedly, the descriptions of D6-to-d20 conversions are better because it's getting harder and harder to find WEG stuff these days ... anyone should be able to find WotC material without a problem, though).

Kayle Skolaris
26 March 2002, 12:50 AM
I forgot about the Naboo material, I apologize for getting the dates wrong. I'm gonna go sit in the corner and keep my mouth shut now... :(

Arakyd
26 March 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Rigil Kent
Speaking from the Submissions side, I'm seeing nearly no D6 pieces. There have been about two or three such submissions, but generally all I'm seeing is d20 stuff.

Thats because all of the good D6 submissions are going to Decks site. He has already cornered the market. :D