PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Deathmatch

Matt Richard
20 March 2002, 02:02 PM
Lets see what you think about this: I had an idea a couple of years ago about creating a game where the players are put in an arena and duke it out. No plot, just blood and gore. Then I though, why not have actuall star wars characters play against each other. My idea is, I would make stats for the people from the movie, have the players play them in a sort of WWF format. For instance: The Rematch between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon!!! So what do you think?

Reverend Strone
20 March 2002, 05:03 PM
You're kidding right?

dgswensen
20 March 2002, 05:09 PM
Wasn't there a Playstation game, Masters of Teras Kasi or some such, that was pretty much about just that?

I've never played it myself, but I always wondered just how that would work (i.e. how Han Solo would fight with his fists vs. Darth Vader with a lightsaber).

The Admiral
20 March 2002, 05:24 PM
how Han Solo would fight with his fists vs. Darth Vader with a lightsaber
Briefly.

I must admit to being also confused as to the point of this hypothetical adventure.

Putting characters into a pit for no reason, to have fights for no purpose is NOT role-playing.

This is why we have thing's like Playstations.

Reverend Strone
20 March 2002, 07:38 PM
I always wondered just how that would work (i.e. how Han Solo would fight with his fists vs. Darth Vader with a lightsaber

I don't know what it would look like but I suspect that it would sound something like, swoosh, swoosh followed by two dull thuds.

I remember the Teras Kasi game. Not really my cup of tea I have to admit. It did seem a little like the old 6 year old conversations we used to have in school: "who would win in a fight between superman and batman," kinda deal.

If you're going to give it go, well, good luck I guess.

BrianDavion
20 March 2002, 08:36 PM
it's proably make for a good "learn the rules" game

Sithspawn
21 March 2002, 03:09 AM
My group have done this with our PC's.
I should say that I think my group is unique whereas each player has numerous characters each (I had 70 at last count, but no I don't play every one regular).

I created a WWF style Heavyweight Championship where anyone could challenge. Combat was played by the book between the characters, the winner getting the belt.
This was all out of game and no CPs were awarded.

Why? Because we found it fun. Fun to see which of our PCs really was No.1 in combat. At present the champion is a Jedi, but this may end because we're going to eliminate the use of Lightbasre Combat in the contest (otherwise it becomes an all Jedi contest).

In the past I've even run minatures combat. We created teams of four PC's and ran a game on a board. Why? It was was fun. And it's about having fun, well at least it is for me. I don't run these contests often, but it's something to do when the group meets and no one has an adventure planned.

reliant
21 March 2002, 10:58 AM
The Tera Kasi game that they were talking about was for Playstation 1. It is a great game. The lighsabers and stuff don't cut through everything (so yes han solo fights with fists/blaster and darth vader gets fists/lightsaber). It's a cool game... And playing as Boba Fett totally rocks, but that is beside the point.

Our gaming group talked about doing something like this with our shadowrun characters. Since half of them are murderous psychos we decided it might be cool to put them up against each other and see who was the best. This would be out of game and just for kicks, but it seemed like a cool idea to me... I don't know how fun it would be to do it all the time though, and I agree that it wouldn't really be role-playing.

Emperor Xanderich II
21 March 2002, 11:13 AM
I remember (back in the days) when we collected AD&D. We each had different worlds that we would DM. Of course you read about the powerful characters in each one. At that age (13ish) we always used to talk about whose was the hardest. In the end we did a similar thing an threw three into an 'arena'.

It was Strahd vs Dregoth vs the Grand Caliph. We never finished as it was taking too long. Spellfire solved our problems!

It could be fun for a laugh, but I wouldn't take it too seriously!

Jedi Master Antilles
21 March 2002, 12:55 PM
Quote:
I remember the Teras Kasi game. Not really my cup of tea I have to admit. It did seem a little like the old 6 year old conversations we used to have in school: "who would win in a fight between superman and batman," kinda deal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey everyone knows Batman would kick supermans butt....lol

Matt Richard
21 March 2002, 02:58 PM
All in all, the response to this idea was not as pleasant as I had hoped (I think my rating went down because of it). To explain why I would do this was simply this:

My group several years were playing a one-mini adventure that I had written. I told one of the players that they would be a traitor (which they liked, because they just liked that sort of backstabbing thing). Eventually, it came down to a battle between the traitor PC and another PC.

Now before you start showing me the rules I broke and start voting me down, I must first say that this was the most fun the players had had...ever. They liked the idea of killing each other (don't know why, almost afraid to find out), so that's why this idea came to me.

I agree with an earlier post: because it is fun. Sure, its not roleplaying, but to quote this roleplaying book of yours, you can use any rules you want and eliminate those you don't like. No plot? that's ok. Death and Gore? If the players are fine with it...sure! I think that we just proved that if we follow too closely to what "we're supposed to do in rpg's" we eliminate the whole reason for playing it: fun.

And no, Im not kidding.;)

Reverend Strone
22 March 2002, 04:16 PM
Gee Matt , I think it sucks if people voted you down for this thread. That's harsh by my estimation (I'll do what I can to compensate).

Your idea may not be something I'd go for, but that's probably cause I hardly find time to role-play nowadays, so when we do, there's the expectation for my players and I to get as much real character-based role-playing into a game session as we can, hence this one would be a low priority for us.

Having said that, I'm glad you guys had fun. I apologise if my posts above came across critical- that was certainly never the intention. I was simply enjoying the discussion and putting across another POV.

In summary, don't take the naysaying too hard, buddy. Some of us are just grumpy old men.

Mathis Kharr
24 March 2002, 05:52 PM
sounds like a video game but might be fun for one night