PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO WEG/D6 STAR WARS .help!

JeffB
20 March 2002, 04:03 PM
Hello All,

I’m new here, and this is my first post so please don’t lob any thermal detonator’s my way if my questions seem too basic. :D

I was on a hiatus from RPG’s from about 1984 till late 1998, and missed the whole WEG Star Wars era (as well as a lot of other stuff). I own and am familiar with the new D20 version of Star Wars, but totally unfamiliar w/ the D6 system. After reading about the “controversy” surrounding the WEG and D20 versions/players, I decided to seek out some of the WEG materials as I will be starting up a SW campaign in the next month or so w/ my players. I’ve heard the WEG version runs a bit smoother and faster during play. So I have some questions, if you don’t mind.

I currently have a copy of the 2E revised and expanded book, as well as a copy of the 1st edition rules on the way that I traded some other gaming stuff for, but have yet to receive them.

1) Are the 2 more or less compatible? Will I be able to pick up a 2E adventure/source book, and use it with the 1E rules without a lot of work or vice-versa? Are there any conversion guidelines for the two versions?

2) I’ve heard that 1E is less rules intense, and smoother in play than the 2Er&e, would most of you concur?

3) What are the general advantages and disadvantages of each version?

4) I understand there is very little support for the 1st edition, and few products were made. Do people still play it? Or has it gone the way of the do-do?

5) What would you consider the necessary basics to start up a game in either edition? (i.e. will I need lot’s of extra books? Or will the main rulebooks be plenty? ) Any tips on what books to buy (like the GG’s, or the game-master handbook, SW sourcebook, or similar items?). If it helps, Starship/Vehicle combat will not be terribly frequent in my campaign.

6) I realize that the WEG game is based around the rebellion era, and some of the novels, but to start, I would prefer to run some games around the time of EP1 (barring some of the silliness in TPM, I love the old republic era). Are there any net-books or similar items that have details on this era for the WEG rules (either edition)? Or will I have to stick w/ WOTC materials and convert them?

Again, sorry for the “newbie” questions…Thanx in advance for any help/advice you folks can give me.

JeffB :)

The Admiral
20 March 2002, 05:09 PM
1) Are the 2 more or less compatible?

Yes. The main difference is the Wild Dice, which 2ed R&E explains neatly, and 2nd Ed uses numbers instead of dice for vehicle / vessel speeds. 2nd Ed R&E omits the conversion table for the speed codes, but I'll see if I can't dig out a copy and post it here,,,

2) I’ve heard that 1E is less rules intense, and smoother in play than the 2Er&e, would most of you concur?
personally, I wouldn't. Whilst "nd Ed has more rules, they don't get in the way, it's more like there are more options to play with. As always, WEG's D6 is a modular system, you don't HAVE to use rrule X, if you don't want to.

The differences are negligible, IMHO. 2nd Ed has the advantage of having a lot more generic background info, usually.

4) I understand there is very little support for the 1st edition, and few products were made. Do people still play it? Or has it gone the way of the do-do?
Most people who were around for 1st Ed still use some of the rules variantions (or so is my impression) Personally I use a hybrid set of rules.

5) What would you consider the necessary basics to start up a game in either edition?
2nd Ed R&E has, IMHO, everything you need to get going. 1st Ed does to, but only really if you want to play a very basic 'We are rebels on a stock light freighter' scenario. 2nd Ed supports a wider variety of play types straight from the rulebook
As to other books, any of the Galaxy guides are good, but the better ones are GG9, and GG6. Movie specific ones are not really worth it, IMHO.
The Planets Collections is pretty good, it's exhaustive, and has TONS of inspiring stuff, as well as the Elrood Sector, a common gaming environment.
I'd pick up any of the Fantastic Tech books you can get hold of, they're some of the best books, and most frequently used.
None of these are essential, of course.

6) I realize that the WEG game is based around the rebellion era, and some of the novels, but to start, I would prefer to run some games around the time of EP1 (barring some of the silliness in TPM, I love the old republic era). Are there any net-books or similar items that have details on this era for the WEG rules (either edition)? Or will I have to stick w/ WOTC materials and convert them?

Well, SWRPG Network (Which hosts the HoloNet) have done a superb job of converting pretty much everything in the whole SWU into and out of each system, so most of WotC stuff is available in D6 format. You should find their search functions and stats very helpful.

Hope that helps some!

oh, and BTW, you've picked the right system to play, IMHO,,,

Grimace
20 March 2002, 05:22 PM
Hey there! Welcome to the Holonet, AND to the game!

First off, there are some differences between the 1st and 2nd R&E versions of the game.

I've played both, though I must admit that it's been a looong time since I've played 1st edition. I'll try and address your questions to the best of my ability/memory.

1. More or less....yes, they are compatible. I'm not sure if 2nd edition R&E has a conversion table in the back of the book like plain 2nd edition had, but it's fairly easy to convert. Skills, attributes, weapons, hull codes and shields all work pretty much the same. There was a change in speed codes, and a couple of other minor things. I also think that 1st edition didn't have the "Wild Die", like 2nd edtion (plain and R&E) has. I personally like the inclusion of the Wild Die....it adds that nice touch of randomness, though the choice is up to you.

2. This is totally up to the individual. I think that 2nd edition is the smoothest, even over 2nd R&E. 1st edition had a couple of hiccups in it, from what I remember, and those were basically fixed in the later editions. So, personally, I'd go with 2nd edition (R&E in your case).

3. Advantages of R&E is easy scalability, the Wild Die, and a lot of material. Advantages of 1st edition are a more "beer and pretzel" kind of feel...and perhaps familiarity for you if you've played it before.

4. I wouldn't say very little was made for 1st edition. Quite a bit was made, actually. It's just that those products are VERY hard to find nowadays. 2nd edition (R&E) sourcebooks are much easier to find of the two editions.

5. Honestly, the one thing that I REALLY liked about the way WEG created their core books was that you could play the game with just that one book. You get the main book, and you can run with it. Obviously, if you want to start including more things, you'll need some extra books. I could list off a couple key books to get, but basically you only really need one book (the main book)....especially if you're going to be playing around the time of Phantom Menace.

6. There are a couple of sites out there that are specifically D6 oriented, and that also cater to the Phantom Menace era. I'd suggest checking the hosted sites here on the holonet. Others that will post will undoubtedly have much more specific sites to send you to.

All told, if I were you, I'd try to focus your collection on the 2nd edition sourcebooks. They'll be easier to get, they convert readily between 2nd edtion and 2nd edition R&E with no problems. 1st edition stuff will be harder to get, most of it's been done in 2nd edition, and it takes a little bit of converting (though the conversion process is a thousand times easier than converting D20 to D6) to get 1st edition to work with 2nd R&E.

Best of luck and, again, welcome back to the game!

Krad-edis
20 March 2002, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the Holonet JeffB! Whether you need to ask questions, or view some of the other members submissions, you are bound to get some form of feedback which you should be able to use constructively.

I am pretty familiar with the WEG 2E R&E Star Wars, so I will try and answer all of your questions, though some of them have me hoping the next guy can answer.

1) Yes, the two are more or less compatible. My Heir to the Empire books are not 2nd Edition, but they are a valuable source of information for any 2nd Edition campaign questions. It is all easily convertible, but I have to wonder why most people would want to take 2nd Ed stuff and turn it into 1st Ed.

2) From what I have seen, yes. The character stats are not as in depth as 2nd Edition stats, which I can imagine left people wondering what an NPCs or player characters limits really were. Also I noticed that some of the force powers from this Thrawn Era Sourcebook were considered new, when they appear as Core Rule powers in the 2nd Ed R&E. Some minor differences once again, but the 2nd Ed definitely has more depth to stats.

3) I am not really sure, other than that the 2nd edition has more stat specific information for players and GMs to go on. I remember a ways back someone saying that they preferred the 1st edition's combined firing rules. It really depends on what you are used to playing and how your players like or dislike procedures. I had friends that played a combination of the two sets of rules and made there own sort of homebrew Star Wars....worked for them, I prefer 2nd Ed.

4) Most people will say that 2nd Edition has gone the way of the do-do. Very little support is out there for both systems, though I believe that 2nd edition has had quite a few products (actually I don't believe, I know, I have boxes full of 2nd E books). Since 2nd Edition stuff isn't being made anymore, and it was a ways back since 1st edition stuff way being made, I would have to say that it is only the die hard 1st edition rule users which are keeping it alive.

5) The main rule book for the 2nd Edition R&E is really all you need to do whatever you want. It is nice to see some of the conversions of D20 to D6 stuff, along with other member's D6 submissions, but I can attest that I have played campaigns which have been in the Rebellion Era, Thrawn Era, 300 years after the NJO, Rise of the Empire, Tales of the Jedi era.....and many more time frames, and it has been a blast coming up with stats for new stats for everything from droids, ships, technology, and NPCs. You really don't need much in the way of supplements (though some are nice), unless you are focusing on something specific in your campaign. Something like "The Jedi Academy Sourcebook, would definitely be helpful for a game being set at Luke's Academy right when he establishes it, but it really isn't an absolute must. The hardest part about making D6 stats for characters is coming up with a good background, the rest can be done in less than fifteen minutes. Very little counting, figuring out basic skills and starting equipment is not very difficult.

If you are not interested in Space Combat, then you really don't need to bother with the books on freighters or privateering. Again, you really only need the main book for 90% of your gaming,......the other 10% might be quick references made either for use or comparison.

6) For anything D6 or D20, and for just about any era, you can check SWRPGNetwork's Conversions and Submissions for stats, stories, and all kinds of stuff. You can access them by clicking on Conversions or Submissions from just about anywhere while in this site.

Hope this helps you out JeffB. Again, welcome.

The Admiral
20 March 2002, 05:45 PM
Whoa! A triple underposting! Don't see many of them these days!

Krad-edis
20 March 2002, 07:06 PM
I thought I was first to reply.....you guys beat me! :p :D

Jastor
21 March 2002, 05:51 AM
the only rules i miss in 2E from 1E is:
small/moviing targets, obsticles, gravity, and the space battles.. so we got a mix of 1E and 2E

JeffB
23 March 2002, 01:17 PM
Heyya Folks,

Thanx very much for the warm welcome :)

Unfortunately I still have not recieved my rulebooks (the collector has not recieved my trade items yet), but I had a bunch more stuff put on hold, inlcuding two of the GGs, 2 of the solo adventures ( to help teach me the game before I run it), and some of the classic adventure compilations (there's some dissent in the ranks of my player now on whether to go rebellion era, or rise of the empire..yeesh...).

Be that as it may, thanx so much for the advice!

..As soon as I get the books I'm sure I''ll bugging you folks some more :D

JeffB :)

Tony J Case, Super Genius
24 March 2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by JeffB
1) Are the 2 more or less compatible?

The short answer: completely compatible. I still use V1.0 sourcebooks for my V2.0 game without blinking an eye.

The major difference was a change to the speed code of the ships - going from a D code (like a TIE fighter having 6D and a Xwing having 5D - each roll, and whoever had the higher number went faster - more or less) to the fixed speed, with the option to go Slow, Fast, Faster and HelluvaFast.

The other major change was opening up the skill availability. There were a set 30 or 40 skills that someone could chose from, and that was about it. The newer systems encouraged a player to take something not on the list - like Mech: Cooking or DEX: Breakdancing.

There was one skill that they dropped from the list that I thought they should have kept - Technology. The ability to look at a piece of tech and ID it. Not use it, not repair it - but just figure it out. "Oh, yeah - that's a P-47 Space Modulator. They haven't made those since the Clone Wars. I wouldn't buy it - they tended to break down a lot under stress."

Less rules intense? Yes. Is that a good thing? I don't think so. The improvements they made - like die caps and the speed code changes made the system sharper in my opinion.

The biggest disadvantage for 1st edition is that it's so old that finding anything for it will be difficult. Aside from that - no version holds advantage over the other two. I prefer v2.0 the best - but that's just what I'm used to.

I wouldn't say very few products. V1.0 lasted for 2 or 3 years before being upgraded. There was quite a bit of stuff out for it - but I think everything was eventually reprinted in a version 2.0 format.

5) What would you consider the necessary basics to start up a game in either edition? (i.e. will I need lot’s of extra books? Or will the main rulebooks be plenty? ) Any tips on what books to buy (like the GG’s, or the game-master handbook, SW sourcebook, or similar items?). If it helps, Starship/Vehicle combat will not be terribly frequent in my campaign.

If I was going to get stuck on an island, what would I take. . . .

Probably the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook - god's gift to a Jedi campaign , The Special Edition sourcebook for a good overview of just 'stuff', Galaxy Guide 9 for the slice of life view of the Star Wars universe the book presents, Planets of the Galaxy (get the 3 volume set over the separate volumes) and Galaxy Guide 2 - Yavin and Bespin. Yavin I could take or leave, but the Bespin portion of the book - well, my players had a never ending source of fun with Cloud City.

I also might go with GG: 4 - Aliens or GG: 11 - Creatures of the Galaxy. You cant go wrong with a Flora and Fauna book.

Are there any net-books or similar items that have details on this era for the WEG rules (either edition)? Or will I have to stick w/ WOTC materials and convert them?

Bah! A pox on everyone else in this forum for not mentioning my page. You can check out my E1 era notes - they're a bit Jedi-centric, since that's what we're doing this time around, but there should be some good ideas to be had there.

http://www-the-chaos-crew.com

Dr_Worm
26 March 2002, 09:56 PM
Another great sight for D6 conversions is The Rebellion. I believe that the link is listed on this site under Links. They have great stuff. Most of your questions have been answered very throughly by others, but I will add on the topic of essential:
I alway thought that the Core 2ndED (superior to the other two IMO) needed sourcebook support so my list of essential would be:
-2nd ED rules (I thought R&E was too much eyecandy)
-Imperial Sourcebook
-Rebel Sourcebook

Beyond that I would higly recomend getting:
Any and all of the Fantastic Technology books
Rules Of Engagement-if only because this is one of the hardest to find and it you get a chance snatch it up.

Most of the other supplimets are really great, and I use them for any ed (even D20).

Soontide
27 March 2002, 08:55 PM
To address your questions:

1) the two are more or less compatable. The first ed was a little barren of basic info and was hard to start with if you didn't have someone who already knew the game. 2ed basically took care of that and made the game more playable. I have never had a problem converting from one to the other as the basic format is the same.

2) I can't say that first ed was smoother, maybe less rules intensive, but almost too lax on the rules. The expanded rules for 2ed made the game more playable all around for me. Still, the system is great for combat and isn't too cumbersome(I really don't like the d20 combat system and find it cumbersome, sorry d20 guys). the D6 is far superior in my estimation.

3) The best advantage of 2ed is that there is more info out there for it. It is also a "fixed" system in that the problems with 1ed were fixed for the most part in 2ed.

4) since 2ed was a repair of 1ed, most folks have gone on over to 2ed or 2ed rev. that doesn't mean that 1ed has nothing to offer. I can't remember the specifics, but there were a few things in 1ed that wound up in my 2ed campaign. they were just so basic that I can't quite remember specifics. hehe

5)the basic main book will allow you to run a good game. Depending on how much imagination you are willing to put into it, it could be all that you will ever need. I actually ran a game for over a year with just the main book. If you do want to put together a more information based game, I would recomend any of the the galaxy guides. There are excellent pieces in each of them, though some have more than others. Other than that, trust your imagination.

6) Toward the end of WEG's run, there was a supliment for the Tales of the Jedi put out that was set quite a way in the past. I think something like 2000 years(correct me if I'm wrong guys, its been a while since I picked that book up). It may help you with jedi in general(it has quite a selection of force powers not found in other books) and has some interesting jedi templates for you to play around with.

Finally, have lots of fun with the system. Its a great one. Glad to have you in the SWRPG holonet family. :p

Ash DuQuennes
29 March 2002, 01:27 PM
I too tend to like 2ed. (plain) the best out of the three WEG versions; especially the scale and the hard numerical values for vehicle and starship speeds.

WotC tried to make a feat/skill based system, and largely succeeded; for skill-based gamers like myself, WotC's skills (rather generic catch-alls) took some getting used to.

I overall like WotC's ship combat system better (something you say you're not going to use much of) except for their speed rating system for ships, and their lack of sensor rules. You may want to check 'em out anyway, as I don't see too many SW games that don't [eventually] entail starship combat. But WotC returned the fast-paced cinematic feel to starship combat in their Core Rule book.

As far as what supplements to get, I recommend the 2ed boks GG:4 Alien Races, GG:12 Aliens-Enemies and Allies, any/all Fantastic Technologies, the single volume Planets Collection and Rules of Engagement (one of the best supplements for 2ed., IMO, and long overdue before it hit the shelves). I also personally like all of the Cracken's books, and both Platt's (Starport and Smuggler's Guides).

JeffB
1 April 2002, 11:02 AM
Is it me, or are these boards down quite frequently? :(

Well, I recieved the R&E book last Thursday, devoured it over the weekend, and all I can say is...

It's a gosh-darn shame that WEG lost the license...This is definitely the rules system I've been looking for.....much simpler, more cinematic...maybe not as rules saavy as d20, but better suited to people who don't want a rule/modifier/stat/exception for everything.

While I like D20 mechanics and In some ways it's more balanced, I find .R&E is much better suited to this old fart and his old fart gamers..I'm planning on running more space combats than I originally had anticipated since the resoultion is so simple (I thought the D20 corebook starship/vehicle combat system was not very "smooth" ,and the revised version in SWGamer even worse..unless I want to play a wargame)

I also like the fact that the WEG book actually did a very good job of describing how to run a good SW campaign instead of the way D20 ported over the exact text from the D&D 3E DMG, substituing SW terminology where needed, and adding 1 and half pages of "background info" for each era of play (which is darn near useless for running a game).

My only dissapointment is that there were not a ton of Force Powers lsited in the book...

I'm hooked...I bought two more books over the holiday (Classic Campaigns and Classic Adventures #5), and have about 7 more books on the way....(including the 1E book)..

Thak you all for the advice and well wishes!

JeffB :D

Chris Curtis
1 April 2002, 02:26 PM
Excellent, another convert to swell our ranks!! The D6 Rebellion is growing... ;)

Seriously, though, it's great to hear that you'll be playing D6. If you ever have any more questions of comments, don't hesitate to ask us. We're all here to help!

Oh, and as for the board being "down quite frequently"... Unfortunately, the server has a lot of bandwidth issues. The real solution is to get a dedicated server, but that's quite expensive. The admins have said that they're in the process of getting a better server, so hopefully the issue will improve soon.

In the meantime, there was a thread in the last month or two in the main "SWRPGNetwork" forum that discussed the "down-time" (or something like that) and several people offered advice for how they were able to improve their own connections. Some things don't work for some peolple, but hopefully at least one of the suggestions will work for you.

leighangelj
5 April 2002, 04:46 AM
As for 1st vs. 2nd edition I don´t really know because i´ve never played 1st edition. Although i´m not new to gaming i am fairly new to gming. I have found it very helpful to read the novels that have been published (also referred to as expanded universe). These are excellent sources for campaign ideas and it is fairly easy to find D6 stats for just about everything on the net. Another good source for episode 1 is a website that i can´t remember the name of but if you go to www.banthatracks.com and look for something like the Complete guide to Episode1 or TPM and this guy also has a section completely devoted to Force using from the different kindsof users to campaign ideas etc. Also this website has excellent stat resources and I also recommend their net.guides as you continue gming. there is also a website devoted to teaching the mechanics of D6 starwars. Again, I can´t remember the name but check out banthatracks to find sites for good information