PDA

View Full Version : STATS: RRAU Bikes,,,

The Admiral
20 March 2002, 04:56 PM
Just a little something I've had around for years, but only just got to finishing,,,,

Ubrikkian Rapid Response Artillery Unit
Crew: 1
Scale: Speeder
Pass.: None
Cargo: 10 Kg
Cover: 1 / 4
Mano: 4D
Move: 120; 300
Range: 0 - 4
Body: 2D

1 Assassin Heavy Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Fire Control: 4D
Range: 20-80 / 160 / 300
Damage: 6D
Ammo: 20

Designed as a stop gap measure to accommodate the Imperial Army's massive expansion of infantry, but slow expansion of Infantry Support Weapons, especially heavy blasters, the RRAU has held up on it's own as a valid weapons platform.

The RRAU is an infantry support weapon designed to be moved into it's tactical position very quickly, combining the rapidity of speeder bikes, and the powerful punch of a heavy blaster cannon.
The pilot operates the cannon from a dedicated control panel situated at the rear of the vehicle, they cannot operate it from the saddle. The vehicle is very low slung, with no obstructions to either side, allowing for extremely rapid disembarkations. Most pilots simply land the bike and roll to the side on the ground. A few elite pilots have perfected this manoeuvre (now known as a Raw Roll) to the degree that they disembark before the bike's finished moving, timing it perfectly so that the gun's controls arrive right in front of them when they sit up. RRAU's are notorious in Army Maintenance bays for having 'landing damage' typically a cracked or misaligned forward repulsor globe, but occasionally a shattered main body brace. Imperial policy officially frowns on this practise, citing both that the gun's control panel is positioned to be operated while the bike hovers 75 centimetres off the ground, and the fact that RRAU pilots never seem to bother using the landing skids.

The cannon can fire up to twenty shots from its internal battery, but must be attached to a RRAUMPS for sustained fire.
The gun is operated from the rear panel using a small wide view holocam mounted over the barrel, and a small display in the panel itself. This has the advantage that the weapon need by the only thing presented as a target to enemy troops; RRAU biker's can be completely behind cover and still maintain normal strike rates.

Current Imperial policy is to attach RRAU's to Line Platoons where their mobility and firepower can be best used. RRAU's are almost always deployed paired with a RRAUMPS.

Attempting a 'Raw Roll' is a Difficult Strength or Jumping Roll.

If a Wild 1 is rolled during a 'Raw Roll' the vehicle's main body brace. The vehicle is totalled, and must be retrieved by Vehicle Recovery Engineers. The gun, however, can still operate.

Attaching a RRAUMPS power supply is an Easy Repulsorlift Repair roll.

The Admiral
20 March 2002, 04:57 PM
Ubrikkian Rapid Response Artillery Unit Mobile Power Supply
Crew: 1
Scale: Speeder
Pass.: None
Cargo: 10 Kg
Cover: 1 / 4
Mano: 4D
Move: 30; 90
Range: 0 - 4
Body: 2D

This is the power supply for the RRAU. It is unarmed itself, but does carry a large generator to providing power to the weapon platform. Ammunition is effectively unlimited when the RRAU is connected. The pilot of the RRAUMPS is usually trained to act as a comms and observation operator, so an RRAU / RRAUMPS team are more effective on the battle field.

Lokar
20 March 2002, 05:24 PM
Like the idea, Admiral. Good heavy support weapon for the line squads.

Deck
21 March 2002, 07:29 AM
Nice bikes, Admiral! Also great pictures! Just one question, how long are they? It seems to miss in your stat block. ;)

The Admiral
21 March 2002, 08:10 AM
ooh, er, about two and a half metres. I don't usually bother with a length stat for vehicle's this small,,,,

Jastor
21 March 2002, 08:19 AM
this reminds me a little of my P.T.L.C (Portable Turbo-Laser Cannon)

which was a turbolaser (with power suply) on a couple of repulsor engines. it wasnt very maneuverable but still, it could pack a lot of damage.

Admiral
i think your speeder got a little to much maneuverbility with that much weight.

The Admiral
21 March 2002, 10:39 AM
Well, yeah, the mano rating would be the one I'd change were I to change anything, it IS high.

The reason I used that score was mostly for mission profile, the RRAu has to be able to evade enemy fire effectively, as when it's moving, it's completely unarmed.
The weight of the bike isn't all that high, the front section only houses the controls and one repulsor globe, the bulk of the weight is in the bulge section immediately behind the pilot. The gun itself is based on the E-Web cannon, (6D Speeder scale and 8D character scale are exactly the same thing,,,) which isn't going to be a really serious weight when bouyed on a vehicle.

When I designed the bike (And it was something like six years ago,,,) I was basing the essentials on the Aratech 74Z. the mass is roughly the same, (The RRAU is slightly heavier) but it's all positioned behind the rider. In some ways it's more like a swoop.

Anyweay, basically, the thing has three repulsor globes, set in a tricycle formation, that helps balance out the off center gravity. With the mission profile it NEEDS to be nimble. All this obviously is going to cost a fair few bob,,,

But I'll dedicate some runtime to reconsidering the mano code, anyone else have thoughts?