PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of the two movie eras--- which do you prefer?

Blaid
21 March 2002, 10:30 AM
Just some Random thougts on the moods and feeling of the two different Star Wars Movie eras: Rise of the Empire and The Rebellion. I was sitting here talking with my GF and we were pointing out the merits of the two eras and what made them so different. I'll keep this short so people can get to posting. Just some random thoughts, see what you think. . . .
Star Wars is designed to Space Opera in the sense of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. In that sense it should possess Good versus Evil, more powerful villians, dramatic threats, sci-fi "magic", strange technology and exotic aliens.
In my opinion, The Rebellion Era captured this perfectly. A rag-tag, under-funded band of rebels taking on the might and wealth of a galactic spanning Empire. Intense villians in the sense of Vader and Palpatine. Dramatic threats in the legions of Imperial forces (Storm-troopers, Tie Squadrons, Star Destoryers, Death Stars, etc.), exotic aliens. The Rebellion Era also contained the classic Space Opera element of Unity between friends. Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie, 3PO and D2. Solo risking his life on Hoth to look for Luke. Luke and the rest putting the Rebellion aside to rescue Han from Jabba against all odds. Luke standing by his father and helping to redeem him.
The prequel era, from what we know about it, is somewhat lacking in those regards. Black and White are blurred. Sidious/Palpatine hasn't come off as a real threat yet (even in the books, and I reserve the right to reevaluate this after eps 2 & 3, this is just a generalization), no real technological threat like has become a Star Wars staple. No Unity between the main characters like in traditional space opera. No solid villian, either (in the space opera sense, we viewers know who is who).
Now, I know it is impossible to have unity in a story about Fall (Anakin) and dissolution (Republic). I am not knocking the prequel era. It is doing what it needs to do and I am enjoying the ride.
I just happen to like The Rebellion era better as far as Space Opera is concerned.
What is your favorite era of the two: Rise of the Empire or The Rebellion (I'll list the other eras in a different poll)?

dgswensen
21 March 2002, 11:18 AM
I like the Rebellion Era as well, but I think it's a bit unfair to compare the two, as the Rebellion Era has three movies, a couple of cartoon serials, twenty years of books, comics, and media behind it, and the Rise of the Empire era has one movie, a few novels, and not much else.

You can't really make much of a comparison -- the Rise of the Empire era has fairly little material to go on.

That said, there are things I like about Rise of the Empire, mostly the incredible Roman grandeur of Coruscant and Theed, and the showy, overdone spaceships, like the Naboo Starfighter (which is pretty much a 50's roadster in space). I think Space Opera is also about huge, vast spaces, massive ships, and wondrous cities, and Episode I delivers on a scale that the original trilogy couldn't do quite as well -- if only because the technology wasn't there.

darth maim
21 March 2002, 04:49 PM
I think that it's unfair to compare these yet... maybe to compare these elements (unity etc) between ANH and EP1 but that's about it... Also you want a technological threat... how about an army of clones?? Sure you can mow through 50 guys with a lightsaber but how about 50,000?? It's not like they need to worry about recruiting efforts or even food cost etc... most of these clones are going to die and once you have taken your target you can easily kill enough of them to keep it under control. Yes that's evil but hey we are talking bad guys attacking the government.

Habuth
21 March 2002, 08:35 PM
I agree that rebellion era is best for roleplaying at the moment, but I put this down to the fact that I know it much better, and I'm familiar with all its characters and events. Not so the the rise of the Empire.

Potentially, though, the Rise of the Empire has some great concepts. Particularly, the shadowy nature of the enemy which is technicaly good for adventures. But one big advantage of the Rise of the Empire era is the profusion of Jedi. In the rebellion era, being a Jedi felt a bit like cheating. You end up kind of ignoring the fact that there aren't really supposed to be many Jedi hanging around. At first, you say that the Jedi you have as characters and as adversaries just aren't powerful enough to be noticed by the Emperor, but gradually you get fed up with having every Jedi hidden on some remote jungle world and eventually you more or less abandon the pretence that the Jedi have been purged. In a way, the Rise of the Empire solves this problem.

Finally, I can imagine it's also kind of refreshing not having to be on the run all the time :)

Mathis Kharr
24 March 2002, 06:29 PM
I prefer the older movies for nestalgia sake. and ESB kicked but

Tony J Case, Super Genius
24 March 2002, 10:50 PM
>>>Finally, I can imagine it's also kind of refreshing not having to be on the run all the time<<<

Even better - its exciting to know that the specter of doom and gloom is hanging over my players heads. Go ahead and get attached to your characters, and fall in love with your setting and NPC's - because I get to make your lives a living, screaming hell in a couple of years.

Free regin to do what every GM secretly desires - to bring the wrath of god down on his players, and put some real fear into their souls? Knowing that the odds are stacked against your character living. How sweet is that?

Only Call of Cthulhu (and paranoia) offers that kind of oppertunity. With CoC, you know right from the get go that it's only a matter of time before your character is reduced to a jibbering insane maniac. With Rise of the Empire, you dont tend to think "My character has a limited shelf life" as much. Catches you off guard, doesnt it?

Habuth
27 March 2002, 11:08 AM
Good point :)

It's an interesting reversal. Whereas as the rebs in the rebellion era, you know you're pretty much going to win in the end, in the ep1 era you know that whatever you do, you're only delaying the inevitable loss.

The most rewarding campaign of all, of course, would be one that actually spans both eras. Difficult to live that long though. Obi Wan and Yoda and Darth almost did it... but not quite.

madpoet
27 March 2002, 06:51 PM
As far as the movies are concerned, I'm partial to the Rebellion Era. I've had 25 years to appreciate it, read about it, and just generally love it. I think the main reason I prefer this era is the Empire. The struggle of the Rebels against the might of the Empire is just so compelling.

Overall, if we bring the EU into the equation, I think the NJO rules.