PDA

View Full Version : Rewards

jediazar
21 March 2002, 02:41 PM
Iím interested in hearing what other GMs give their players as rewards. Iím setting up a new campaign and previously I have left things in speeders or in other areas of plain sight or easy reach (Search DC 10). I leave things everywhere. Even if I make a suggestion they donít seem to go for it. Iíve left droid callers around and they donít even bother to see if it calls a droid. These are no dummies either. In our DND sessions they grab everything that isnít nailed down. I do find ways to give them something. More times than not I have to hand it to them.

What do you offer as rewards and how do you hand them out?

BrianDavion
21 March 2002, 06:51 PM
depends really
I find what my PCs value and then try and offer it to em.. I once gave one of my PCs a "'girlfriend" as a reward.. this made his char feel happy, and it set the hook for some intresting adventures...

DirkGreystoke
21 March 2002, 08:31 PM
I let the players determine their own rewards in part. If they want to get a prestige class {in D20} then I award them feats and such to help them arrive there. I also give weapons, like lightsabers or powerful blasters, additional XP, or I make adventures that center around what they want to do {i.e. visit a certain planet or meet up with an old friend.}

Habuth
21 March 2002, 09:01 PM
The way our campaign ran, there wasn't much point in plundering. This was partly because the characters were employed by the rebellion, and as such could pretty much requisition the resources they needed, but also because it disrupts the flow a it. Can you imagine Luke on the DSII, pausing in his escape to pick up a droid he's found?

There are other ways to reward characters.

Firstly, if they are in the rebellion or the Empire, give them promotions. Let the style of the adventures change gradually. Let them begin to command, give them a sense of responsibility and stroke their egos something rotten by having them saluted by their inferiors :)

Secondly, give them fame. This can be restricted to a particular city they've saved (where the townsfolk'll always buy them a drink if the drop by) to a region (I remember being particularly pleased when someone printed out a Wanted poster with my character's name on it) to the whole galaxy (I once had my character's exploits broadcast on the galaxywide holonet in a newsflash).

Thirdly, give the characters what they want. Ask them what their ambitions are and like as not there'll be some odd little things there. I recall one character in my group wanted to acquire and learn to play a musical instrument. Giving them something like that is far more rewarding than giving them a new gun.

I'll get off my soapbox now :) Hopefully I've given some good ideas :)

Gulmyros
22 March 2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by jediazar
These are no dummies either. In our DND sessions they grab everything that isnít nailed down. I do find ways to give them something. More times than not I have to hand it to them.From my experience, the difference between these two situations is part of what makes the games different. In DnD, you know how much your boots weigh. You keep track of how many coins you have of each type, and the weight of them all. You label everything. You use everything. Your equipment list could fill its own sheet...

And my friends and I were the same way. We played DnD for a long time, then started playing StarWars. When we did we kept track of all sorts of things. But take a look at our friend Han Solo. His equipment list looks something like: Modified Heavy Blaster Pistol
Comlink
Millenium FalconAnd that's it. Over time our group started traveling lighter and lighter until we're running with less and less stuff. So maybe your players just jumped ahead of my group's learning curve. :)

And just like the games are different, the players are different, the characters are different - so too must the GM handle rewards in a different fashion. You can still give them, but it sounds like you need to find a new delivery method to go along with the ideas in this thread. But don't worry, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Mathis Kharr
24 March 2002, 05:48 PM
I have givin away a few feats if warranted and a few freebie skill points if someone is trying to realy train a spacific skill. I got a player who doesn't like that but the others appreciate that thier hard work is rewarded.

The Admiral
24 March 2002, 06:25 PM
This 'ere thread seems to be getting dangerously D20oid,,, just for some non-system specific concept stuff;

Rewarding PLAYERS (as opposed to characters) Is easy: I buy the beer. I also control the ashtray, and all the large hardback books,,, :-)

As to rewarding the characters, well, if they're good they get (usually) nicer toys. If they complete a mission fairly well, the logistics chiefs overlook the fact that they claim to have fired all their missiles, whilst they obviously have three or four hidden under their coats. (Or on one memorable occasion, Loki had a meter long concussion missile stashed in his trousers)

The party also appreciate leave (they all have their own side interests, and appreciate having time to invest in some of them)

If they've been REALLY good, or occasionally if the game play's been a bit intense, then i've been known to throw the occasional 'Party Session'. The characters usually end up blowing their entire cash reserves in one or two days. Last time, they hired the entire top floor of a top hotel, and managed to fill the pool with cranberry and vodka mix, as well as hiring parachuting nuns and a troupe of Ithorian clowns, amongst many other, less 'U-certificate friendly' groups. During those sessions, absolutely everyone has a whale of a time.

dgswensen
24 March 2002, 06:33 PM
My players don't get off too much on new toys. I find they feel much more rewarded by their characters gaining a reputation, their actions having an effect on the universe, and getting the attention of powerful friends and foes alike. I always know I can excite them with those things.

Reverend Strone
25 March 2002, 09:02 PM
LOL- for me this is easy because I started my boys out in such lamentable poverty. Their starting equipement consisted of little more than the clothes they wore and a single gun each- either a slug-pistol or outland rifle. The poor guys spent the first two game sessions just trying to get the basics to survive- food and water, and someway to power their barge which had broken down in the middle of the desert (nary a repair skill between the three of them).

Since that time rewarding them has been easy-

Game two- a pair of Banthas on loan to tow the barge.

Game three- a portable vaporator and a their first blaster rifle.

Game four- a speeder and two bikes.

I started my guys out poor becasue it suited the campaign setting, but it also ment that anything they gained, they really valued because they had to work so hard for it.

madpoet
25 March 2002, 09:55 PM
I used to try and leave things for my players to find, but the problem arose that every time they went anywhere, they'd spend a long time just searching through everything in the room in the hopes that they'd find something else. It was really starting to drag out gameplay. Now I just reward players with things like rank, rep, and XP. It keeps the game moving and drives my players to better roleplaying, since I give a little extra to players who really get into their characters.

Donovan Morningfire
26 March 2002, 09:46 AM
As for character rewards, I just stick to the relevant XP system. (Character Points in d6, Experience Points in d20). If the players do something that is either really cool or above and beyond heroic or just really funny, then I toss some extra points their way.

Another idea, taken from Deadlands, is the concept of Fate Chips. For Star Wars, anytime the player/character does something that:

a) advances the story along
b) makes you do a Keanu Reeves and just go "whoa"
c) cuases the gaming group to break out into laughter or
d) is just really darn cool,

they get a Fate Chip. The Chip can be 'cashed in' by the player in one of two ways.

1) As extra CPs/XPs (probably 5 CPs, 500 XP) or
2) to reroll a failed check. Note that for d6 any CPs spent to boost the prior roll are not counted in the re-roll. Force Point bonus from either system still applies.

To keep track of Fate Chips, use pennies, candy, or (my fave) poker chips.

Fairly easy. Gives the character a bit of an edge in game play, and better yet encourages group interaction. And from my Deadlands experience, some players will do some of the oddest and funniest things in the hunt for Fate Chips.