PDA

View Full Version : The enigmatic Sand People

Reverend Strone
22 March 2002, 05:44 PM
I recently read a post in which the author was looking for a picture of an Ubese without his helmet, and it got me to wondering about the Tusken Raiders.

Does anyone know of an image of a Tusken Raider without his mask? I'm guessing this would be speculative, as I've never seen any "official" images. In the films they always keep themselves very wrapped up, so there would be no reason for an image to exist of what they looked like beneath their robes from Lucasfilms. Surely though, it's been touched on in the EU?

Perhaps we'll get a glimpse in the new movie?

Personally, I've always carried a mental picture of something akin to the leathery faces of the Weequays or the equally gruff looking Marauders of Endor.

Can anybody out there remember seeing a picture anywhere or have any theories?

Nova Spice
22 March 2002, 06:22 PM
Negative there revstrone. I believe that the Tusken Raiders are basically very primitive tribal humans similar to maybe aboriginees. They probably look fairly gruff but I wouldn't say they are Weequay-like just yet. The only other source I have besides the films is the novel Darksaber, which doesn't give much detail at all. Sorry....:(

Reverend Strone
22 March 2002, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I can buy that explanation. Thanks Nova Spice .

lordbynight
22 March 2002, 07:23 PM
Yeah I also believe they are humans and make great characters but we definatly need more info on them. Give me more please WOTC please Lucas if not maybe ill write something Ill let you all know!!:D

Otonashi
25 March 2002, 09:02 AM
In a game that I am running, I have developed a history for the Sand People.
Basically Tatooine was not always the desert that it is now. There were oceans and mountains and a near human species. These people lived a life of unparallel luxury and ease. Automation controlled every facet of their lives, from enormous super machine that were located near the center of the planet.
Then a nearby Gas Giant collapsed upon itself forming the planetís second sun. The resulting Electro-magnetic storm decimated the technology of the planet, as massive earthquakes and other such natural disasters crushed the underground machines. The survivors were unable to make their machine work due to years of decadence. The failings of the humans helped give rise to a new species of rat, that eventually evolved into the Jawa.
The sand people have a strong oral history. In my world, this was originally an attempt to keep track of who the sand people really were and where their civilization was located if they were ever able to return. People are always surprised with the Tusken's ability to fade away into the desert. My explanation is that they still use some of their near surface passages as shelter, but they are unwilling or unable to venture deeper into the heart of the planet.
Itís a simple history, one that is open to vast amounts of game play. It also helps give a reason for why these dudes just wander around in the dessert shooting at everything they see. They still consider it their planet, and there just arenít enough resources to share.
It is doubtful that anybody will have a picture of what Sand People look like now. They consider it a sign of insanity to show bare skin. In a harsh world with limited resources mentally unstable people are a threat to the community as a whole and therefore disposable.

Reezen
25 March 2002, 09:17 AM
Maybe the Sand People aren't all humans... the ones that appear in the films are all humanoid, true, but their faces are all wrapped up. I don't think that the few appear in the movies can be indicative of the entire race, so the possibility that the sand People are simply castoffs from society might hold merit.

Surely Jabba and the various gangsters of Tatooine had a few more punishments than simply tossing people into the Sarlacc or straight out killing them - maybe they're left to die in the Wastes. If they meet a certain criteria, maybe they could be adopted into the tribe.

Talonne Hauk
26 March 2002, 09:13 PM
*************************Spoiler!*****************************

In Attack of the Clones, there will be some major scenes with Sandpeople. We'll definitely get an idea of their society, and maybe an idea what they look like under the wrappings.

Okay, open your eyes.

Tramp
27 March 2002, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Tusken Raiders are a near human species. If they weren't Shared Hett (a human) couldn't have fathered a son with a Tusken woman. The genetics would have been incompatable.

Reverend Strone
27 March 2002, 04:41 PM
In response to Talonne Hauk's comments-

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what new stuff we'll learn about the raiders in AotC. From what I have seen we can expect some welcome costume variation and hopefuly some insights into a side of the tusken raiders we've never seen before.

darth maim
27 March 2002, 04:57 PM
have you guys noticed this thread is exceedingly wide? What's up with that?

Reverend Strone
27 March 2002, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I just assumed it was my computer spazzing out on me. Also, a bunch of the lines are all on top of eachother on my screen making them impossible to read.

It seemed to happen right after the spoiler text went up. Maybe the special text has had some wierd effect on the format of the page?

Talonne Hauk
27 March 2002, 06:56 PM
I think the thread going wide is my fault. I tried to see if I could put the text in spoiler mode where you had to highlight it to read it, but I guess I misunderstood. I can't figure out how to utilize any of the cool features that go along with posting, except for the smilies.:) Case in point.

Reverend Strone
27 March 2002, 07:04 PM
Don't feel bad Talonne. I've had a little trouble with those myself.

Talonne Hauk
27 March 2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Reverand. You know, on the plus side you get to see all the cool pictures on top.

Jaggard
28 March 2002, 11:20 PM
The sand people or tuskan raiders were present before the first known human settlers appeared on tatooine. They appear on no other worlds as far as anyone knows. They got their name for the attack on the first colony Fort Tuskan. Their culture is clan based and does not destinguish between genders and no one knows a childs sex eccept the clan elders to arrange marriages but "... some rather embarrassing mistakes have been made, ..." :o spoiler note (backwards) :
brag naksuT fo noisrev eninimef dna lager a ni naksuT elamef a htiw nees neeb evah serugif 2PE
They carry little in the way of possessions because it hamper fight or flight responses. They shun new technology because it is new, they are very resistant to change. Their culture is ridgid in it's ways because their ways work and to try new things often tempts death. They are proponents of the servival of the fittest and apply this felosophy to high child mortality and the wounded. Those adults who cannot support themselve kill themselves. Children are sheltered until they preform a great feat or skill which dictates their station in the clan upon completion. Legends of defeating a Krayt Dragon are often told. As they have no written languages of their own these legends may actually be true. They have only one story teller and an apprentice at a time and should either fail to recite the histories flawlessly they are executed. 8o and once the apprentuce passes into the role of master the old master wanders out into the dessert to die.
Ride single file to hide their numbers, they prefer to capture rather then kill, mainly to torment the captives for sport.
Once a year all new recognised adults are assigned mates, in ceremonies where they mix their blood together as well as their banthas blood.
They are so bonded to their bantha mounts that a Tuskan without a mount must wander alone until the unlikely event that he finds another that will join him, riderless Bantha often berserk at their loss.
They are wrapped in ritual rags from infancy and after adulthood only mates may see each other un wrapped. All other will fight "blood duels" if seen by another intentional or not.
IF you would like a possible glimpse of one find The Illustrated Star Wars Universe book and on page 45 is a Tusken camp with a story teller telling his tale, between two tuskens facing you and lit by the fire is a figure dressed like one from the neck down but with an uncovered face, is this a pure blood tuskan? :raised:
Also of note is that in the old republic era a Jedi retreated to Tatooine and lived as a desert scavenger until he had to fight some tuskans. He won a place in their clan. When Kiadu Mundi (sp?) the only Knight to serve on the council came seeking him he explained some things.
Tuskens often adopt some people who can prove themselves useful and strong into the clan and marry them to clan members in hopes a strong bloodline will be added to their clan. The Jedi was called (at least by the tuskens) Sharad Hett. While living among them he had a son A'Sharad Hett who latter Became Kiadu Mundis Apprentice (weilding a light saber in each hand.
Only barely were These two able to reconcile the jedi codes with the Tusken way of life. IMHO it wasn't explained well. It seemed to me they would behave in a brave and strong manner and if some one sought to harm them they would make it so the enemy would mainly harm itself before preforming a mercy killing to those that persisted to attack until mortally wounded. When an evil being such as Aurra Sing attacked they behaved as most jedi would aggressive defense but not actively trying to kill. But what bothered me was the way they killed a Krayt dragon which was no more evil than any other predator. They knowingly entered it's territory and used it to endanger their enemies (persueing) but when it became a threat to them the clan attacked it and Sharad Hett just killed it, cut it open and presented its pearls as trophies.

Oookay is that enough info for you. Most of it came from the Illustrated Star Wars Guide. It's a Great book that covers most of the settings from the original movies. If you have more questions feel free. I can't say i will definately have the answers for you but it's fun to try and remember what I do know.:D

Reverend Strone
31 March 2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks Jaggard . that was an informative and interesting read.