PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Executor-class Super Star Destroyer (SWRPGNetwork)

Unregistered
23 March 2002, 06:32 PM
there only 8 km buddy

TC-3
23 March 2002, 06:32 PM
This thread is for comments on the entry entitled "<a href="http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=eb8be6bde625eb51e775018e0c920fda&id=202" target="_blank" title="This link will open in a new window.">Executor-class Super Star Destroyer</a>" located on SWRPGNetwork. Please post your comment on this entry below using the "Post Thread" button; you may also post a comment via a link from the entry itself.

Deck
24 March 2002, 07:55 AM
I think Armage is here relating to the "Executor" as seen in the movies. When you read the Technical Commentaries and the many threads about the Executor's real length here on the Holonet boards, you will see that there is a difference between a Super-class Star Destroyer and an Executor-class Star Destroyer.

My personal view is that the Executor was a special variant - for Darth Vader only - of the normal Super Star Destroyer which is 8 km long, of course.

Unregistered
24 March 2002, 11:57 AM
They are not 8km. If you look at the movies, the Executor's main hangar bay dwarves an ISD. The Executor itself is 17.6km. Most people assume that the rest of the SSD's are 8km.

Although there is quite a large argument surrounding that.

Also, there is no Executor-class Super Star Destroyer. It is just a Super Star Destroyer.

BrianDavion
24 March 2002, 12:07 PM
the 8KM thing is absurd... beliving it despite the film evidance is bad eneugh, but the person who first listed it as 8KM must have been a MORON!

Unregistered
19 April 2002, 12:32 AM
how many freshers on on that thing?

Alun
10 May 2002, 09:26 PM
Uhm well, if you go to this address sme light will be shed on the issue (almost from the horses mouth)
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/superstardestroyer/index.html

Timex
20 May 2002, 07:47 AM
Never a shield will be so high in protection, impossible

beyond hope
26 May 2002, 10:34 AM
"Super Star Destroyer" would be a general term, referring to any ship of this scale. The Eclipse is a Super Star Destroyer for example, because of sheer size, but it's obviously not of the same class as the Executor. "Executor-class super star destroyer" would be in keeping with the naming conventions for most navies, ship classes are frequently named for the first ship of that class constructed. In any event, it's true that the the ships which are identified as "super star destroyers" are all of the same class as the Executor and therefore of the same dimensions and built to the same specifications... a "mini-SSD" would be a new class of ship entirely. I've always thought the 8 km figure to be ridiculous and I disregard it, 17 km is what the scaling in the movies will get you.

As a side note, I've always thought that the low numbers given in the WEG RPG was pretty absurd too... an Empire that built up a fleet of 250,000 Star Destroyers in 20 years can't build more than 6 or 8 of the Executor class? I'd put the numbers higher, or else the Empire might have something in between an Imperial-class and an Executor-class in size that we haven't seen. Han's comment about there being "lots of command ships" from ROTJ would make one of the two possibilities very likely

DarkSoldier
20 May 2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
the 8KM thing is absurd... beliving it despite the film evidance is bad eneugh, but the person who first listed it as 8KM must have been a MORON! Either that, or did not comprehend "Larger and more powerful than the five Star Destroyers it accompanies," which is probably where the entire Five-Mile Fiasco originated, and continues to be mercilessly perpetuated due to LFL's bizarre continuity stance.

All film and behind-the-scenes evidence points to the overall length not exceeding 17.6 km.

wolverine
27 May 2004, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know what length this would then make the Soverign and Eclipse? Since according to the shilouette in Dark Empire, the executor is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of their length??

Rogue Janson
27 May 2004, 11:13 AM
Is there really a pic in Dark Empire where you can compare an executor class (how would you know it was one of them not another SSD?) and an eclipse?
The tech commentaries keep the eclipse's length as 17.5km, marginally shorter than the length it gives the Executor.

wolverine
28 May 2004, 11:07 AM
Yup. Page 91, in the top right corner, there is a schilouette of an SSD in compariston to the eclipse, the sovereign, world devistators, a mon cal, an isd and an imp dungeon ship.

Fingon
4 June 2004, 03:08 PM
Well, the Executer was the proto-type of the class, and was larger than 8 kilometers, which I would assume is the default for other SSD's.

DarkSoldier
26 July 2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by wolverine
Does anyone know what length this would then make the Soverign and Eclipse? Since according to the shilouette in Dark Empire, the executor is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of their length?? The Soverign and Eclipse were based on the erroneous 8km length of the Executor. Either scale them up accordingly, or make them all the same length (17.5 km).

Kelcheck
26 July 2004, 02:39 AM
In the Beggining there was alot of mile/kilometer discrepencies (sp) . A note about the SSD being 8 mikes (12,800 meters, the size listed on Starwars.com) was converted to 8 kilometers or 5 miles. It stuck. I think anyone that is interested should go Here (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html) for a great article about the size of the ship using movie referances. As we all know, what is see in the movies over writes anything else, even "official" EU. The story of the 5 mile ship is a pretty good one, and there is a history of it writen HERE (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html) , which you should also read. Now comes the big question, does it really matter? Are your characters going to be racing down the hull? I see so many people get so angry over this one subject more than anything. and they get mad at other players for not believing in the same thing. If GM 1 wants the SSD to be 8km, then its 8km in his univers, if gm 2 wants 12.8 km, so be it. And if you like the 17.6 Km length great (I personally go with the 17.6 length for my games, but in retrospect that doesn't really matter because in 12 years of playing, My group has only seen one, and that was from a distance)
I agree with the authors of the above articles that super star destroyer would be more of a general description, not an actual class name. To give you a modern Naval referance, On board ship we have different names for different subs. One is called a Boomer sub, now this isn't a boomer class sub, but any of the larger ICBM carrying subs. But in short, instead of calling it a typhon or Ohio class (or any other class) we quickly ID it as a Boomer. Besides, who would want to name thier ship the "Super" Class. other than Clark Kent. Perhaps if it was painted blue and red, with a giant "S" on the hull, maybe :D

In the end, go with what works for your group. As far as these stats go, I think I will be using them in my group, but most likely cut the number of weapons down a bit, and a couple other things. I always felt that the SSD was more ment as a mobile command ship, and not designed for prolonged warfare on its own (although capible of it) I always saw these ships as the Bismarks(sp) or Yamotos of the SW galaxy.
But the most important part is to have fun with it. It kind of falls in there with "how much does a Death Star cost" or even an ISD. You can't afford it so it doesn't matter. I don't know what would happen if my group encountered this, but if i didn't pull any GM contorls, and let it go by the roll of the die, they would probably own it by the end of the gaming night :P Kidding
(any Sakima war players that might be reading this, the awnser is the same as when you asked for a world devistator...NO)

I do like that the hull and shields were tweaked a bit, good job there. I am always botheres by ships of vastly different sizes having very close hull codes, of example
Corellian Corvette 4D hull, 150 meters
Star destroyer 7D hull, 1600 meters
Super star destroyer 10D hull, 17,600 meters (or 12800, or 8000)
Ohh for all that extra money, and resources it takes to go from an ISD to a SSD I get 3D extra hull, Woohooo! :D I know the the armor can only be make so thick, but hull codes are more than armor, it is the body of the ship as well.

All around, back to the original topic, I have to say that it is well done example of the 17.6km version of the executor.

To anwser the question of the Number of refreshers...2 one for officers, one for enlisted. The emporer felt that he could get meaner, more agressive Crew if limited the time they wasted in the can.

Seriously though, i would say from the time I spent on ships of various sizes, anywhere from 500-1200 public multi stall refreshers. or at least a total of 6000 individual stalls.

Little side question, what does everyone think of doing a 12.8 km version (ala starwars.com version) and posting it on the network here, and letting the individual players/ GMs decide for them selves which one they want to use? Call it the same thing, and just let the people make up their own mind? Just an idea.

Thomas
25 January 2006, 09:36 PM
According to the www.StarWars.com databank, the length of an ISSD is about 19000 meters long which is a bit more than 17 kilometres and a hell of a lot more that 8 kilometres. However in pretty much every Guide to Star Wars Technology I've ever read it was only listed at the 8 kilometre mark. Also one of things that bothers me is the whole flap about how the Republic kept the length of the Executor a secret, any schmuck doing a fly-by would know the length of it, or any soldier who walked from one end to another. Finally, did anybody think of sending an email or letter to the Star Wars Insider and just asking them the proper length?