PDA

View Full Version : old jedi mind trick

hustonrocks
23 March 2002, 10:51 PM
alright, i have a question and i'd like to hear everybodys opinion. i am a GM (and if dylan is reading this he should stop now). my two jedi characters just got the affect mind feat and i am a little weary of how to use it. i am a little unlcear of its limits. it says that the suggestion cannot put their life in danger, but that is pretty broad. could they jedi mind trick a guard into opening their cell, even though he would be executed later by his boss for letting them go? if it is something they are dead set against does it matter, or is the force more powerful? what about lower intelligent beings or animals for that matter? is the only thing that measures resistance the will saving throw? the corebook has an okay description but leaves a lot of questions unanswered. what do you think?

darth maim
23 March 2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by hustonrocks
alright, i have a question and i'd like to hear everybodys opinion. i am a GM (and if dylan is reading this he should stop now). my two jedi characters just got the affect mind feat and i am a little weary of how to use it. i am a little unlcear of its limits. it says that the suggestion cannot put their life in danger, but that is pretty broad. could they jedi mind trick a guard into opening their cell, even though he would be executed later by his boss for letting them go? if it is something they are dead set against does it matter, or is the force more powerful? what about lower intelligent beings or animals for that matter? is the only thing that measures resistance the will saving throw? the corebook has an okay description but leaves a lot of questions unanswered. what do you think?

I've personally always given guards (as in your example) who absolutely knew they would be killed a bonus to their save... that way there is still a chance of success (unlike a "shoot yourself" command) but it's less of a chance than a completely non-threatening suggestion.

I and my players have found this a fair compromise to a delecate situation.

Matt Richard
23 March 2002, 11:18 PM
This is one of those times when you just have to go with your gut cuz theres no real way of defining it. Lets take an example from Ep.4.

When Old Ben gets past the Standtrooper at Mos Eisley ("You dont need to see his identification"), this was definately affect mind. Now, at that moment, there is no danger, but as we see later the whole fleet on Tatooine is after these guys, so what do ya think is going to happen to the guy who let them go? (It aint pretty in the Empire) So his life was in clear danger, but yet he was tricked. Now some would say no it wasnt because at that time no immediate risk was there. It was when the Falcon had to make a quick escape and draw every imperial and their dog on the Falcons tail did there actually come a risk to the trooper.

I hope that helped some (actually I know it didnt, I was just trying to show that not every rule is as clearly defined as we wish they were and youll just have to use your good judgment when the need arises).

madpoet
24 March 2002, 07:47 AM
I think the Affect Mind power just can't put them in immediate danger. If someone else decides to kill them later, there's nothing you can do about it. Technically, if my players KNEW that the target of the power will definately be killed if they use it, I might consider giving out a DSP. Of course that all depends on the situation.

Also, I don't think Affect Mind would work on non-sentient creatures such as animals.

Mathis Kharr
24 March 2002, 05:39 PM
As far as the Jedi mind trick I have allways had a hard time with that. I am a firm believer that the person you are using it on must be in direct contact with you. I have players that disagree but it seems to make sense if you wanna have that personas full attention then you need to get it and getting it involved getting right up in direct contact in some means. Just my oppinion of course.

Korath How does it feel to know I bested you ?

darth maim
25 March 2002, 12:02 AM
I don't think anyone is debating distance... more the mindset of the target.

kailhun
25 March 2002, 03:39 AM
>the suggestion cannot put their life in danger,<

I think you may be reading too much into this. I think it merely means you can't have someone walk off a cliff or put a blaster in his mouth and pulling the trigger. The will to live is too strong.
[Although I'm pretty sure the Emperor, Darth Vader, Ben and Yoda were strong enough to override this]
If the guard believes 100% that he will be excuted for following the suggestion, I think the best way to go is with the bonus on the save or penalties on the roll.

The second part is: will using effect mind give a DSP? That one's trickier.
Having someone blast his brains out is, of course, DSP-time. Having a guard open the door? Usually not, I'd say.
Factors to consider are:
-Did the Jedi know or should he have known about the risk for the guard based on the information at hand?
- Did he have an alternative?
- How strong is the need to escape?

Robert