PDA

View Full Version : Which side was the most interesting?

Soontide
24 March 2002, 12:53 PM
The star wars universe has spawned fans of all sides of the battle for the galaxy. I, personally, tend to like the Empire more because they are so misunderstood. Not all of the imperial officers were evil, corrupt individuals who were after personal gain at everyone else's expense. Some were out there trying to maintain order in a galaxy that they may have seen as lawless and in chaos. The were trying to create some stability for their children and grand children. but anyway, let me know why you made your selection so we can get an intelligent discussion of the sides of this thing.

Habuth
24 March 2002, 02:25 PM
Tough call between the rebellion and the empire, partly because it's difficult to imagine one without the other. I mean, X-wings look great, especially when flying along the surface of star destroyers :?

But all in all, I'd say the empire was the most interesting. The way I figured this is that I care about the Imperial ranks, even though I never really use them, and I read various Imperials officers background, but never really bothered for the rebels (Akbar's a fish and a good guy... what more do you need to know?) The Empire is much more complex than the rebellion, and as such has more depth to it I think :)

But again, that just makes it a great enemy for my rebel character :?

madpoet
24 March 2002, 03:42 PM
I think that life as a criminal must have been pretty interesting during the Rebellion. With the Empire busy trying to crush the insignificant Rebellion, criminals had a lot more freedom to do the voodoo they they do so well.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
24 March 2002, 04:08 PM
Basically the smugglers, bounty hunter guilds, mercs, and such ... because they're neither criminal nor on either side but cater to all sides for profit and other motives ... With that no 2 chars are alike and there's no limit as to what can happen with them or what they'll do... In a sense they're both good and bad, depending how ya look at them , or who ya look at individually :)

simple ways of looking at it:

a bounty hunter can be hired by the bad guys to take down a good guy
a bounty hunter can be hired by the good guys to take out a bad guy
- and the same applies for smugglers and mercs (in similar points of view) -

dgswensen
24 March 2002, 06:21 PM
The Empire had some neat stuff -- TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers -- but I have to root for the Rebellion, because I found their toys to be cooler. X-Wings, A-Wings, snowspeeders, tauntauns... much more fun stuff to get behind all around.

Plus, you have to figure the Rebels are more fun at parties. Imperial types are all pent-up British types. They probably sit around playing bridge all the time :)

Nova Spice
24 March 2002, 07:40 PM
I've always been a fan of the Galactic Empire. With my two cousins, when we were little, we'd play with the Power of the Force figures and I'd always play the Imperials, while one played the Independents,and the older one played the Rebels. I always played the Imperials in the CCG and always played the Imperials in the X-wing vs. TIE simulations.
To me, the Empire is the pinnacle of military might and isn't afraid to use it (similar to us Americans after 9/11). In the movies I'd watch Rebel scum tear apart TIEs or in ROTJ, vape Star Destroyers and would reassure myself that the shipyards at Kuat would surely be replacing it even as the Rebels revelled in their success. It is a psychological thing I suppose. The Empire seemed so competent, so ordered, so powerful. I suppose I'd have gotten along well with General Veers and Admiral Piett :p
By the way, dgswensen I hope you aren't slamming Brits here, for several are on these boards including The Admiral who is a respected moderator.;) As an American, I consider all British to be our allies and dear friends and respect them greatly. Not many cultures can hold out against German blitzkriegs for four years, especially considering Great Britain is an isolated island that was surrounded by its enemies. I hope it wasn't meant to be derrogatory....:(

dgswensen
25 March 2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
By the way, dgswensen I hope you aren't slamming Brits here, for several are on these boards including The Admiral who is a respected moderator.;) As an American, I consider all British to be our allies and dear friends and respect them greatly. Not many cultures can hold out against German blitzkriegs for four years, especially considering Great Britain is an isolated island that was surrounded by its enemies. I hope it wasn't meant to be derrogatory....:(
It was not meant to be at all derogatory! I guess I should rephrase it. Take out the "British" part of it, and the Imperials are still a bunch of stuffy, uptight fellows in tight uniforms who all look the same. And they don't seem like very interesting guys, Darth Vader excluded. The fact that they all seem to speak with clipped British accents in the movies doesn't make them British in any real-world sense, nor do I think fictional Imperials and real British people should be at all compared.

Sorry if that seemed derogatory to anyone. Please be assured I didn't mean it as such.

Jastor
25 March 2002, 11:54 AM
whatever or not the Empire or the Republic rule the galaxy, the Criminal Organisations have a lot of power. someone wants something (drgus weapons etc. or "five finger discount ships") that isnt allowed, or is jellous of/for something. greed, power, possesivness.

Ash DuQuennes
25 March 2002, 03:46 PM
I went with Rebellion, because it present the most challenge: outnumbered, outgunned, with the might of a Galaxy-spanning Empire to fight. It's a constant uphill battle, with little if any room for error. Players must seriously think about what they do before they do it, as the consequences of a mistake are potentially crippling, if not outright deadly, to the Rebellion.

Reverend Strone
25 March 2002, 06:52 PM
Please-

the criminals have always done it hands down for me.

I mean, there are so many shades of gray in the Mos eisley Cantina, or Jabba's palace, or amongst the six Bounty Hunters- all those fascinating characters with strange and exciting backgrounds. There's so much material to explore there.

That's why I'm running a Fringe campaign. Five game sessions in and there's not been a single stormtrooper, rebel agent or lightsabre mentioned- and we're having a blast.

Habuth
26 March 2002, 10:12 AM
Good point :)

It's an interesting reversal. Whereas as the rebs in the rebellion era, you know you're pretty much going to win in the end, in the ep1 era you know that whatever you do, you're only delaying the inevitable loss.

The most rewarding campaign of all, of course, would be one that actually spans both eras. Difficult to live that long though. Obi Wan and Yoda and Darth almost did it... but not quite.

Reverend Strone
26 March 2002, 11:48 AM
Now that would be cool. If you ever do it Habuth , let us know how it goes.

Korwin Blade
27 March 2002, 08:49 AM
I wanted the option of all of the above. Because i think that they are all insteresting and i want to play them all at some point. I love the books in that you get to see alot of differant aspects of the whole SW Universe not just one like with star trek. Thats just my 1/2 cents of non-sense. :D