PDA

View Full Version : Would you attend a chat?

Moridin
24 March 2002, 05:37 PM
The question is: If SWRPGNetwork hosted an IRC/web-based chat session, would you attend? What I mean is, if we had a weekly 2-hour chat session at a set time and with set topics, would you attend?

What I envision is this: once a week (or month), the SWRPGNetwork Webmasters and Associate Webmasters would join site visitors in an open chat about certain topics pertaining to the Star Wars RPG. Everyone would be welcome to attend and join in the discussion, which would ideally last a couple of hours. It would be a great way to get together and sort of do a live version of what we do on the Holonet; it would help people get to know other players and gamers better; it would facilitate quicker discussions and allow multiple people to discuss the same topic with ease. What do you think?

If there's not significant interest, we won't even try, but if there is, I'd love to see it get off the ground. If you do think you'd be interest, also feel free to leave a day and time which works best for you in a message on this thread.

Lakota
24 March 2002, 05:50 PM
Any Sunday-Wednsday night would be best to me, 7pm CMT...that would be 8pm for NY and 5pm for west coast right? Okay, maybe 8pm CMT?

Floyd

darth maim
24 March 2002, 06:07 PM
I'd love to do this... I'm not sure on the date / time as my schedule is up in the air right now (about to re-enroll in classes and start a new job maybe) but I'd attend as often as it was held.

lordbynight
24 March 2002, 07:02 PM
Sunday night is great for me this is a great Idea Im in!!!
:D

dgswensen
24 March 2002, 07:18 PM
I would generally be free any evening after 6pm MST. If I'm not gaming, of course! Weekends or weekdays don't make much difference.

I voted for "monthly" because, though I might like to show up weekly for a chat, in reality I probably wouldn't make it that often.

Soontide
24 March 2002, 08:19 PM
In fact, I was just browsing the net looking for a good SW based chat. Suprisingly, there aren't many and most are dedicted to IC gaming. I voted for weekly, but would probiably attend one on a more regularly basis if it was offered. There numerous times that I would love to talk star wars and can't because everyone I know who is into star wars is either at work or asleep! If we could set up say an IRC chat channel that everyone knows about and can access at any time with organized chats from time to time, I think it would be great!

Nova Spice
24 March 2002, 08:20 PM
I voted once a month due to my tentative schedule. With high school, varsity baseball season, and spring training for football on my schedule I don't know if I'd be able to come regularly. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Sunday nights around 6-8 p.m. CST would be when I'd be free the most often.
I really think this a good idea and would come as often as possible. I would really like to be able to chat live with my friends here at the Holonet and would be privileged to be able to discuss RPG topics with the moderators.;)
Nevertheless, it could become quite chaotic with so many members chatting, last I checked member total was around 1800 (take a few due to some people having multiple names).
All in all, I give it a big thumbs up! It can only expand SWRPGNetwork in the RPG community, which is a VERY good thing. B)

BrianDavion
24 March 2002, 09:22 PM
I think this place should set up a dedicated IRC server for Star Wars related issues. it sure would help to get games going:)

or at least agree on a major server and meeting room :)
why have a special time etc. set up a room and watch folks start showing up.. whenver

Ghost In The Holocron
24 March 2002, 09:48 PM
I say it's a great idea!

I voted once per month (because of my own scheduling reasons) but might get to jump in more often if a weekly schedule is offered. Sunday is best for me as well.

Coming from a place where SWRPG is practically unheared of, it would be great to "commune" with the rest of the community about our shared "stuff".

Hope it pushes through!

darth maim
25 March 2002, 12:34 AM
why not just set up a chat link on the site so people can get on there an time they choose... Could be interesting.

Random Axe
25 March 2002, 07:36 AM
I would say a Saturday or Sunday morning works best for me, I'd be glad to get online with the rest of yas.

BrianDavion
25 March 2002, 08:20 AM
those Java chat programs lag like heck! as I said, we outta get up a SWRPG room going perminatly on some server or another. having a open meeting area where we can all sit online and talk and orginize games is a good idea

Ash
25 March 2002, 10:11 AM
Sounds great to me! Definately a great idea as long as it is a structured event. I think the worst problem is if it isn't controlled or informative it'll become a chaotic mush. Any chance MSN or ICQ can handle the chat load? What about IRC? I use MIRC (www.mirc.com) to connect to DALNet and it's more than capable of realtime chat. Hope this happens and I look forward to it.

BrianDavion
25 March 2002, 10:27 AM
IRC would be great.

get a dice bot and it's a great place fro online RPGs

Matt Richard
25 March 2002, 03:27 PM
my question is (great idea) will this be a meeting type of thing (once a week) or will this be a permanent fixture, and if it is permanent will it replace the holonet (not necissarily physical replacement, but would more people prefer chat than boards?)?

Great idea though

Armage Bedar
25 March 2002, 04:27 PM
Well, I haven't spoken to Moridin about it, but I assume it would be on IRC; it would *not* replace the HoloNet whatsoever; and it may not be an always-available room.

We might be able to get an IRC channel somewhere, so if there's enough interest we'll run with it.

Ash
26 March 2002, 05:02 AM
Mind of I try to get an IRC channel for you guys? I know the system administrators at my old college and they have several running on the university servers. That and they owe me a few favors I can cash in. :)

madpoet
26 March 2002, 07:09 AM
I voted once a month due to the fact that my wife thinks I spend too much time gaming, posting, etc. I'd probably be able to swing once a waak though.

Moridin
26 March 2002, 07:22 AM
Actually, we already have access to an IRC server.

Deck
26 March 2002, 12:56 PM
Pretty cool idea!

I would prefer a monthly chat session. Everyone would be happy when it's finally time for another session, and many people would join as the session would be rare and something special. Many community sites have a chat, so why not here for the Network? A great idea, which makes our community even more perfect.

I would like the session to be at the week-end, as I suppose that it takes place in the evening, and it's already late night in Europe then. And we have quite some European members. :) So preferrably Friday or Saturday evening.

Great idea again!