PDA

View Full Version : Post Oscar Musings...

Reverend Strone
25 March 2002, 06:44 PM
Thoughts on the Oscars-

Was The Lord of the Rings robbed of Best Picture?

Did A Beautiful Mind deserve every award it scooped?

Should Robert Altman have walked away empty-handed?

Will a sci-fi or fantasy film ever take Best Film again?

Did poor old Randy Newman get his Oscar on pity?

Bring on the wisdom of the holonet...

Rigil Kent
25 March 2002, 06:51 PM
Check out www.pvponline.com for the proper outlook. :D

Reverend Strone
25 March 2002, 08:00 PM
LOL. That actually sums up how I feel on that subject.

Fred Getce
25 March 2002, 09:21 PM
Ok here is my wisdom to mull over.

Actor--Leading went to Denzel Wahindgton and I agree, so not much here to talk about.

Actor--Supporting went to Jim Broadbent To me it was between Sir Ben Kingsley and Sir Ian McKellen. Jim Broadbent's character was weak. Most male married men say that they would have beat some people to death in that movie and find his character laughable or would have taken charge in it.

Actress--Leading went to Halle Berry, WHAT???? Sissy Spacek should have gotten it. She played the emotions to the max and would have scared teh scarns out of me if she exploded like that in the same room with me. I would have turned white with a yellow streak down my back and left immediately.

Actress--Supporting went to Jennifer Connelly. Alright she deserved it. She cried on cue for gosh sakes.

Animated Feature Film went to Shrek. I say Monster's Inc. Had a better message that a child laughing is more powerful of an emotion than a child scared. Shrek was find someone who is as ugly as you and you'll be happy. Also don't try to kiss a human princess if you look like an ogre.

Art Direction went to Moulin Rouge. SORRY! The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring should have gotten it. They built a freaking city for hobbits than let it age for a whole year, complete with vegetable and flower gardens. A working water wheel. They spent more time perfecting the atmosphere than Moulin Rouge did, they should have gotten it hands down.

Cinematography went to Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. :)

Costume Design went to Moulin Rouge. Again NO! Any rich person with money can buy what they were wearing in a Paris dress or suit designershop, but no professional dress or suit designer makes Elven dresses or gowns. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring should have nailed it.

Directing went to Ron Howard for a Beautiful Mind. I say Peter Jackson. Reason is that they took alot of liberties with this mans REAL life. A lot of what they did in the movie did not happen like that in the man's life. They needed to make it more interesting so people would go and actually sit down for the hour and thirty minutes. Casting Russell Crowe was the best way of doing that for the women audience and Jennifer Connelly for the male audience. If they had cast unknowns or low statis people the movie would have bombed.

Documentary Feature went to Murder on a Sunday Morning I agree even though I never saw half of them.

Film Editing went to Black Hawk Down. I say it was a toss up between LOTR:FOTR and A Beautiful Mind.

Foreign Language Film went to No Man's Land. Never saw these so I cannot verify a winner in my opinion.

Makeup went to Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Defintely!

Music Score went to Lord of the Rings. Should have and it did.

Music Song went to Monster's Inc. I say Enya's song for LOTR:FOTR.

Best Picture went to A Beautiful Mind. I say LOTR:FOTR. Again only because they took some liberties to make a movie from this man's life which while it is tremendous for this man with his high IQ, but yet a mental disorder, to do win the Nobel Prize, but they made mountians out of mole hills in a few areas of his life which would have been boring for the audience. Plus again if it did not Star Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly it would have bombed.

Short Film--Animation went to For the Birds. Best one out of the short anime.

Short Film--Live Action went to The Accountant. Ok, I never saw this one, but it looked funny.

Sound went to Black Hawk Down. We have had enough war movies. How many fantasy movies have we had? LOTR:FOTR should have gotten sound.

Sound Editing went to Pearl Harbor. Ok, sound editing should have gone to Black Hawk Down, not Pearl Harbor. LOTR:FOTR had a few areas where they switched from heavy music and loud sounds to soft music and gentle sounds causing problems with the Audience. A perfect example is when the Urik-Hai are leaving Isengard, there is the powerful trumpets and drums as they march away, they than switch to the fellowship who are gently floating down a river with a soft almost sweet music of reeds and I think chorus, It is a clash of sounds for the listener who wil spend a few precious seconds just trying to recuperate from the sudden, harsh change to continue viewing the film.

Visual Effects went to LOTR:FOTR. Better have or I would have been crying foul.

Writing Adaption went to A Beautiful Mind. Nope sorry, LOTR:FOTR was another mans VISION that was transfered to the movie medium with a lot of care and I would say they got it right with what they had to work with. I felt what the characters felt whether it was the pain or sorrow or joy and excitement.

Writing Original went to Gosford Park. Again I never saw this film but I say it was a toss up between The Royal Tenenbaums and Gosford Park. Just the conversations alone in the Royal Tenebaums would have been enough. Can we say disfunctional family. Stone to unclean one!

Those are my takes and opinions.

Dr_Worm
25 March 2002, 09:31 PM
Well let's see:

Lord of the Rings was good, but not quite "Best Picture Material"

A Beautifull Mind was fantastic, but perhaps it did get too many

Gossford Park Stunk! I am very hit and miss on Altman films, and this one was just pretentious crap.

If a Sci-Fi or fantsasy film ever agin takes best picture, it will have to have take some hints from Crouching Tiger. Brilliant, yet simple, story, Brilliant acting, and action to die for. If Americans can do that, then sci-fi and fantasy have a chance.

I'm sorry that was such a pitty Oscar. Then again I hate Randy Newman with a passion.

I don't have time to be more thurough but those ar my brief thoughts.

FlipDog 2000
26 March 2002, 07:16 AM
I think Moulin Rouge deserved best pic...it was the only "original" thing worth voting for. Oh...and ditto on the hatred of Randy Newman...:D

madpoet
26 March 2002, 07:27 AM
I agree with FlipDog, Moulin Rouge was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar. It really is like nothing else ever made.

Randy Newman was given a pity Oscar. He was turning into the Susan Lucce of the Academy Awards.

I personally think that LOTR got the Oscars it deserved, with the possible exception of Ian McKellan not getting Best Supporting Actor.

FlipDog 2000
26 March 2002, 07:36 AM
Yeah, that was my choice for BSA, but I'm glad Denzel Washington got BA, if someone deserved it he did. Every other year, he has been beaten out by Tom Hanks. This is just me, but did Halle Barry's performance when she got the oscar seem like a performance...I thought she overdid it....

madpoet
26 March 2002, 08:42 AM
Halle Berry was a bit over the top. I understand that her getting the award was somewhat historical, but I feel she should have shown the same dignity as when Sidney Poitier was the first black man to be awarded Best Actor.

Reverend Strone
26 March 2002, 08:30 PM
There's a certain theme to your post Fred . Must say I approve, mind.

I guess you'll be heading along to the movie again in a couple of days to check out the new 'Two Towers' trailer?

Superdog
27 March 2002, 07:24 PM
Whoa, whoa whoa! There's a Two Towers trailer? What movie does it play with? On what day? I'm in need of more info here people! *sobs* movie so good, must see as much of sequel as possible as soon as possible, I'm sure you all understand. :)

Reverend Strone
27 March 2002, 07:40 PM
To answer the above question-

As a thankyou to the fans, Peter Jackson has cut together a three-and-a-half minute long (that's huge considering most trailers are between one-and-a-half and two minutes long) trailer for The Two Towers.

It will be attached to The Fellowship of the Ring all over the world on March 29th and plays at the end of the film before the end titles begin to roll. It's probably worth checking with your local cinema to make sure they are screening the trailer- apparantly some aren't bothering.

It's intended to help Fellowship boost it's last weeks on the big screens and get people back, while giving the fans a reward for going back to see the movie again.

Word is, it's awesome. It features tantalizing glimpses of Gollum (rumoured to be the most realistic and exceptional CGI character ever put to film) and Treebeard, as well as showing some big money shots from the climactic Battle of Helm's Deep.

Oh, and by the way- where I live, it's the 29th tomorrow!