PDA

View Full Version : At What Age Did Everyone Start Gaming and the System You StartedIn

Korwin Blade
27 March 2002, 09:54 AM
I started when I was 14-15 and it was 1st edition AD&D. In my 30's now and have a 3E D&D campaign that my 7 yr son is in and my Girlfriend/Fiancee. I am going to start a D20 SW Campaign later this year, hopfully. B)

darth maim
27 March 2002, 10:05 AM
4 years old... D&D (with miniatures). My dad would run me through little one shot games and give me a miniature that was what "I" looked like. it kept me interested and we had a lot of fun doing this.

Lord Diggori
27 March 2002, 10:11 AM
Started when I was 17 actually. Some high school guys played and I wondered about what was so fun about the stuff they did at that luch room table. The system was 1st ed. AD&D. The first system I GMed was Paladium though.

Consul Vido
27 March 2002, 10:11 AM
My brother and I convinced our mother to let us get the West End Games rulebook when I was in my mid teens. We had a lot of fun. Especially when it turned out our older half-brother who occasionally visited us also knew how to play. We tended to do Bounty Hunter type campaigns, because we thought they were cool and we didn't have to be goodie-goodies.

BillyBeanbag
27 March 2002, 10:16 AM
I started at age 12, and it was the D&D red boxed set my cousin brought over for a camp-out... we stayed up until like 3:00 a.m. making characters and didn't get much playing done.

I'm 31 now and I'm still playing D&D (3rd Edition) and Running a SWd20 game...

...my wife wants to know when I'm gonna grow up! :)

FlipDog 2000
27 March 2002, 10:30 AM
I started really getting in to it last summer, but have spent time equal to someone who has played for about 4 years learning and playing. Right now my group and I are doing SWd20 and D&D 3rd...my parents wanna know when I am going to grow up too...:D

Mathis Kharr
27 March 2002, 10:41 AM
I started at the age of * i remeber it was old original D&d. the sheet was small and i didn't know a god darn thing about the game. I even had a petgreen dragon named emerald.. it was kewl when i didn't know anything.. I miss those days

darth maim
27 March 2002, 12:21 PM
You can't grow up all the way or life is no longer worth it... You have to have fun somehow (our method just seems to annoy people who don't "get it")... It's really no different than people who are into watching football like fiends or ugghhh Nascar...

Everyone is into something and this is ours!!

That's what I tell my fiance (of course then she calls me a nerd -- doesn't help that I also collect comics and toys)

Dr_Worm
27 March 2002, 12:25 PM
I guess it wouls have been about 1983. I was 10 and my friend introduced me to Car Wars, from Steve Jackson Games. It is not exactly Roleplaying, but it is a far cry from boardgaming. A year later or so my best friend got the Red Box Basic D&D. It was an addiction from there. We goat WEG SW the day it came out and were playing that night. I really wish I had that much time to blow still:(

Looking to the Future I can't wait until my son (7 now) is old enough to get into them. I think I will start him with the Harry Potter RPG when it comes out.

BrianDavion
27 March 2002, 12:30 PM
I only really started 3-4 years ago, with battletech...
and have gotten into D&D and SWRPG in the last year or so

FlipDog 2000
27 March 2002, 12:54 PM
Man...everyone said: that's why you don't have a girlfriend. How untrue!!! You guys all have wife, fiances, etc...ITS ALL GOOD...B)

Nazgul
27 March 2002, 12:55 PM
Actually my wife and I started playing together short before WEG released their second edition of Star Wars, :)

Dr_Worm
27 March 2002, 01:04 PM
Yea well I have a wife, but I would sell my soul to get her to game with me. Unfortunately I already did that to get her to marry me so...:D

darth maim
27 March 2002, 01:18 PM
Yeah my fiance can't get behind Starwars RPG but she did play rifts with me for a while (though there isn't much difference behind the concepts of the two) and D&D for a while... Oh and yeah man you have a chance... my fiance is totally HOT!! I guess if a gamer can land a chick like that ANYTHING is possible...

:D

Darth Cute
27 March 2002, 01:23 PM
Keep trying Dr. Worm. Try the, "I'll treat you to a shopping spree if you game with me?" Naz and I were in High School together when we actually started in a Very, Very short lived Merc game. We didn't care much for the format. That's when Naz bought his first SWRPG book and we started a game that lasted almost over a year. Every Friday and Saturday night. It was some of the best times we have had. We kept gaming through college and even for a bit after we were married. It is a great activity to do together!

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
27 March 2002, 01:53 PM
I started gaming I think when I was 11 or 12 (just a vague guess) with the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs RPG. After that I moved in to Toon, I think, some Palladinum, and then in to Star Wars D6, which is where I have been ever since (besides occasional trips into Rokugan).

dgswensen
27 March 2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by FlipDog 2000
Man...everyone said: that's why you don't have a girlfriend. How untrue!!! You guys all have wife, fiances, etc...ITS ALL GOOD...B)
It goes further than that... if it weren't for roleplaying, I wouldn't have met my (now live-in) girlfriend. She showed up during a game I was playing in five years ago, and the rest is history. For all I know, if I'd "grown up" and given up gaming, I might still be single! :)

Tony J Case, Super Genius
27 March 2002, 03:06 PM
Wow - when did I start gaming? Well, there was a bogus D&D game (and I use the term loosely) during high school 15 years ago that me and my friend did during lunch. I dont think we ever got past the character creation stage - if that.

Probably a year later, me and two friends tried out the Doctor Who RPG - which died 3 games into it.

Just a bit after that - probably about '86 - we did the Ghostbusters RPG, which lasted quite a long time, relitivly speaking. We played that for about 6 months before it stalled out.

But my first real game, the one where we followed all the rules and had continuity and all that, was the first edition Star Wars - December 1987. We've been playing ever since.

Ghost In The Holocron
27 March 2002, 03:39 PM
Yours truly started playing RPGs when I was 17, just starting college. Considering how hard it is to come by RPGs where I am, I was lucky enought to buy a second-hand D&D set (basic not advanced -- the red box) for the equivalent of about $5.00 (could have been less).

Hunted down other D&D sets (the blue and green boxes) and dice. Went through several campaigns with my like-minded friends. Games lasted for entire years. Then we finally got an AD&D set and went further with that. Then played a bit of Mage: The Ascension during grad school. Had tons of fun with that as well. Then we got 3rd Edition D&D and finally d20 Star Wars -- with which we are quite happy to be playing until we die.

Count me in the "landing the hot girlfriend playing RPGs" list as well. While Pi doesn't actually play, she digs all that sci-fi/fantasy jazz, likes to listen to all the stories, gleefully helps me with my plotlines (so the players now know who to ask about the GM's plans when they need a little hint) -- and now we play at her place all the time!

Fab
27 March 2002, 04:19 PM
I was probably eight or nine, I don't exactly recall. A friend of mine had the red boxed Basic D&D. There were three of us who played in the evenings, just regular dungeon crawls, but man were they fun.

Then I moved into Star Frontiers, and even better was Star Frontiers: Knight Hawks. It was as close to Star Wars as I knew existed at the time.

From there we moved through the old Twilight:2000, spent quite a few years playing nothing but King Arthur Pendragon (which is still the only game in my opinion that gives SWRPG a run for its money). We dabbled in the revised Twilight:2000 and many other games that never quite got off the ground. When the 2nd edition AD&D came out I got back into that one, and followed it into 3rd edition and loved it. So when the SWRPG d20 came out, I easily swung over.

Right now, I GM a group of two good friends of mine (one from high school and one from college) along with my wife. She was never into RPGs before but Star Wars seems to open up people's minds, don't you think? She's a 2nd level Jedi Guardian right now and enjoying herself quite a bit.

All in all, I'm enjoying myself as much now as I did over twenty years ago when I started. When I was young, I was always afraid I'd "grow out of RPGs" like my parents always thought I would. Now that I'm nearing 30, I'm glad to find that I haven't.

So to all the younger readers of this thread who are wondering if gaming will be something you can do all your life or if it only works in the high school lunch room or in a college dorm room somewhere, trust me - there is Role Playing after graduation, and even after seven and a half years of marriage.

madpoet
27 March 2002, 04:28 PM
I guess I was about 10 or 11 and it was the D&D Basic set that came in the red box with a white crayon inside to fill in the numbers on the dice. Me and my friend Tom stayed up all night playng. We had no idea what we were doing, but it was a lot of fun.

Now I'm 31 and I've been gaming ever since. My wife supports my desire to play, but she doesn't ever want to play herself. I'm still hoping that I'll find a game she is willing to try.

darth maim
27 March 2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by madpoet
My wife supports my desire to play, but she doesn't ever want to play herself. I'm still hoping that I'll find a game she is willing to try.

I've found that I have been able to convert more non-gamers with Rifts than anything else. There's just something about all the room for expansion into whatever they happen to be into that other games are severly lacking in.

madpoet
27 March 2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by darth maim

I've found that I have been able to convert more non-gamers with Rifts than anything else.

Thanks for the tip Darth! I'll dust of my Rifts books and see what she thinks!

San-Kyr
27 March 2002, 05:37 PM
Started with D&D. I musta been about 11 and really never found a good group untill I was 14. Now I'm 25 and enjoying just about every system known to man. Yup I even worked at a game store. Poor me. Next step is to open up my own store and pedal games to the next generation of gamers. Mainly your kids. Mwahahaha!!

Dr_Worm
27 March 2002, 08:11 PM
Did anyone ever play James Bond by Victory Games? It was a D10% based system that rocked; easliy the best RPG engine I have ever played. Between breaks in D&D my friend and I loved this game, probably because it was best suited for one player/one gm.

Also: The Expert D&D set had an awesome set of weapon profiency rules. Did anyone else ever carry those over into AD&D and beyond?

Soontide
27 March 2002, 08:15 PM
I believe my first gaming experience was at the age of 14. My stepbrother had all of the first ed. AD&D books and had moved in with us, almost 1200 miles from his old gaming group. He was feeling down one day and I had shown intrest in the game, so he helped me with my first character. a Barbarian named Slash(ok, I wasn't all that original with the name, I know). soon, he had me and my circle of friends playing the game and we had alot of fun that summer.
When I finally went to college I had only AD&D as a base for gaming. A roommate was a big starwars fan, as was I, and I had a copy of the AD&D books myself by then. We actually made up our own vesion of SW D20 believe it or not! It was nothing like the current version(it had alot of inconsistencies, but was playable).

For those who want dates it was the summer of 1986 that i got my start.

Oh, and DR. Worm theres always the second morgatage on the soul. hehe.

darth maim
27 March 2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Worm
Did anyone ever play James Bond by Victory Games? It was a D10% based system that rocked

I played a heavily modified version of Top Secret with the best GM I've ever had (in high school... he was one of my teachers and we'd use his classroom during lunch). It was percentile and was the most fun I ever had gaming.

Sparky
27 March 2002, 09:16 PM
Ah.. June of 1980. I was 6 , the younger tag along brother of a Gamer. I'm pretty sure we were playing DnD that summer. I think it was only a single red book and not a boxed set though. I can't recall for sure, after all I was only 6 and barely able to read. My Bro and his friends coached me through the games until i was old enough to plot one of their characters deaths (he really did diserve it).

I continued to play DnD & other RPGs through High School and abandoned it when I went to college. I've played a few times since then with a variety of groups, but as of yet, I haven't found a group that I ckicked with; not to mention the whole time issue. Having a Wife, Baby, House, & Job can definitly throw a twist into your all night gaming plans, but hey, there is definitly an upside to all of those things too.

DirkGreystoke
27 March 2002, 09:30 PM
I started playing when I was seven years old, Dungeons and Dragons {not sure which edition} and Star Frontiers.

dgswensen
27 March 2002, 10:30 PM
I started when I was about eight years old (that would be 1979, thank you very much), Blue Book edition Dungeons & Dragons. It took me forever to find any players, and those I did find were pretty bad (well, they <I>were</I> just kids :)), but I had fun.

Over the years I've played (and GMed) that, AD&D, Star Frontiers, Top Secret (original and S.I.), Twilight 2000, Car Wars, Toon, Star Trek, Call of Cthulhu, Kult, Pendragon, Torg, Star Wars (WEG and WOTC), Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Nephilim, Conspiracy X, Vampire (ugh), a couple dozen homebrew games, and probably several more that I'm forgetting because there have been so many.

I still have that Blue Book somewhere, though. And my D&D "expert set" from the fifth grade, with the crappy blue dice you had to fill in with crayons.

Fab
28 March 2002, 03:28 AM
Did anyone ever play James Bond by Victory Games?

I remember playing that game. I didn't own it, but I played it enough times. That one and Darth Maim's Top Secret as well. We never had a lot of guys to play (maybe two at the most) so the games that lent themselves well to small groups were excellent for us. I agree, good game.

But I still have to stick with Pendragon for being my all time favorite. I think the engine is excellent and the idea of not having "levels" really appeals to me. The characters just sort of get better and better as they go, gradually. Plus, it's nice to have kids, and see your son inherit your lands, then his son, all as player characters. The dynastic edge to that system really adds something quite unique.

madpoet
28 March 2002, 04:23 AM
Did anyone ever play James Bond by Victory Games?

Absolutely! That was a great game! That was probably the first game after D&D that I really got into and enjoyed.

Wow. This is really bringing back memories.

Master_thorin
28 March 2002, 04:51 AM
Started at 10 with AD&D 2nd edition am now 16 and first started GMing with D20 starwars

Korwin Blade
28 March 2002, 05:33 AM
Wow!!! This is cool. Has anyone played Amber? Hey and all you young gamers welcome to the fun. I got my 7year old into it and he loves it. He is a second level fighter with a bunch of rogue skills, his choice not mine, but he did open a 25 dc lock the other day got a 20 roll I couldn't believe it. Like I said best time I had growing up was playing D&D and other games. And know I get to pass it on to my own son and hope that one day we are playing with his friends as well. I hope that maybe we will stay closer because of it. But anyway Thanks everyone that has posted. I just wish more of you would post. So please do. Later All. And good gaming!!

reliant
28 March 2002, 09:47 AM
I started gaming back when I was about 12 with Hero Quest and Battle Masters. Granted they weren't real RPG's, but it was a start. About 3 years ago I started into "real" RPG's when a friend asked me to play Fading Suns with a veteran squad of gamers (they've been gaming most of their lives). Since then I've played 40K, AD&D, Shadowrun, Fading Suns, Vampire (Masquerade and Dark Ages), and now starting into d20 Star Wars.

Currently we play all of those but D&D. I GM Star Wars (my first time GMing), and it's great. For those of you who have never GMed, I highly recommend trying it, you won't be sorry. There is just something about seeing the stories and adventures you planned out in your head unfolding in front of you. Too cool...

As for the whole girlfriend/wife issue, I'm happy to report that my beautiful girlfriend (of 5 years) has never given me a hard time about gaming, even though I do it all day on saturdays, and now sundays (I liked GMing so much I started another game for my non-gaming friends). I actually talked her into playing in my second SW campaign and she really likes it. Plus I sucked in a few of my non-gaming friends and am in the process of converting them to gamers as well... Mwa ha ha ha ha, I can hear the dice rolling now...

frozenjedi
28 March 2002, 05:50 PM
well , when i was young i was first introduced to gaming by my uncle and his friends playing the original D&D ... then i picked it up really in 7th grade with D&D in the Mystara setting. But gaming as I do now ( at least once a week - with a steady group of friends ) really started when i hit college , i met my friends i still have today playing all the white wolf world of darkness games , we played star wars second ed. , and heavy gear.

my trimph is now complete in that i have an entire group of once non-gamers addicted to star wars D20 !!

madpoet
28 March 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Korwin Blade
Has anyone played Amber?

I played Amber for a few games, but then we all got into an Immortal game and never really picked Amber up again.

Jedi Master Antilles
28 March 2002, 06:57 PM
i started out playing original D&D when i was stationed in germany at about 18....then after i got back in the states and out of the military i became a serious gamer and played 2nd edition D&D, and from there it just spread to marvel,DC Comics,Aliens , Rifts , Cyberpunk ,WEG star wars , call of kthulu ,twilight 2000, D20 star wars..so i've been gaming for over 14 years.

Darth Bile
29 March 2002, 06:06 AM
started gaming when i was in high school, bout 86 or so, and i was approximately 17 years old, and the first system was basic d&d, the box sets, been a long time since then, now i run most of the games i play, unless it's marvel or shadowrun or storyteller system, don't like them too much, plus got one dm who loves to put in impossible to beat villians, no matter what you do to them, they keep coming back game after game after game etc. or putting in characters from different game systems.

xerxies
29 March 2002, 11:21 AM
I pretty much just got started playing into starwars although i cannot say it's been incredibly joyous, considering the gm we had.

madpoet
29 March 2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by xerxies
I pretty much just got started playing into starwars although i cannot say it's been incredibly joyous, considering the gm we had.

Do what I did... If you don't like your GM, study the system until you're comfortabble with it and start up your own game.

Dragon495
29 March 2002, 07:50 PM
Well, I can feel for the new gamers cuz I sorta am one myself (been playing for about 3 years now which makes me kind of a newbie compared to some of your that I have read). First ever system I got into actually was Star Wars 2nd ed. when one of my friends told me about this thing he did at our library. Ever since then, Star wars has been my fav. I have played some other games and systems (Star Wars 3rd, Rifts, Earthdawn, D&D [2nd and 3rd ed.], and just about every White Wolf game ever put out), but still love Star Wars 2nd for it was the beginning of it all :D .

dragonseye
30 March 2002, 06:00 AM
I started when I started dating my husband when I was 19. The first game I played was Mage: the Assension 2nd ed.

anubis1602
2 April 2002, 08:24 PM
Basic D&D when I was 12. Then AD&D. The D6 Star Wars in 87.
I'm 28 now.

Bombaatu
2 April 2002, 11:36 PM
I started in '78 ('79? - hard to remember, seems like I've been gaming forever) at the age of 14 with AD&D 1st Ed. Since then, I've played Traveller, Champions/HERO system, GURPS, 3e and am currently running a d20 Star Wars game (tho I'd love to play in one as well).

Winter
3 April 2002, 08:08 AM
I started playing when I was about 4 or 5. My oldest brother got the rest of us into playing D&D with him. We didn't have miniatures. I don't know if we knew they existed. We used action figures as miniatures. I didn't know what I was doing except I knew we were playing make-believe and that I had to roll dice.

I'm 22 and the biggest obstacle I have to finding a girlfriend or a wife is the fact that I am a heterosexual female, myself so I'm really not looking!

Through the years, I have played a TON of games but my favorite games have been D&D (in its various iterations), Vampire (not the rest of the WoD... just Vampire), Shadowrun and Star Wars (D6 and D20... much as I thought D20 would never be as good as D6, I'm happy to report I was very, very wrong).

D&D will always have my heart since its what I grew up with... literally. Vampire was a great angst outlet... and, I may regret admitting it, it can be quite erotic without needing to be x-rated. Shadowrun is the type of game that can either be a mindless, violent, rulesmongering, uber-character mess or a seriously intense roleplaying game if done, in my opinion, right. Star Wars is fun no matter how you look at it.

zethzooken
3 April 2002, 09:20 AM
I started gaming when I was 16 Ad&D 2nd Ed. I still don't understand the rules for it

Long Live d20!!!

Sithspawn
4 April 2002, 09:26 AM
I started with Star Wars 1st Ed. in my fnal year of school when I was 16. My mate even 'by accident' missed his maths exam because we were gaming! Now I'm 30 and still playing Star Wars RPG three times a week.

The force for ever.

leighangelj
5 April 2002, 04:10 AM
Well, I started gaming when I was 17 because my boyfriend at the time and his friends were into it. The system was 2nd edition revised and expanded Star Wars and I have been playing ever since. I started GMing in the last year and all my games so far have been in the NJO era. My favorite character was an Ewok that I played for about 4 years. By the time that character died she had a few stats ewoks shouldn´t have such as a 5D blaster and 6D+2 any thrown weapon. Anyway, I´m looking forward to gaming when I get back home because I have a campaign planned for our group that I got the idea from Vector Prime

Grimace
5 April 2002, 06:45 PM
I started roleplaying back when I was 12 years old....nearly 19 years ago. My first roleplaying game was Star Trek. I must have played that for years, because the next game I played was 1st edition Star Wars, then Twilight 2000.

Since then, I've put in quite a few other games of different systems. I still find myself going back to the old favorites though. :)

I must say, it's certainly amazing that sooo many people started off with D&D. It's always something that I suspected, but this thread verifies it. It does seem rare to find people that started off gaming in something other than D&D. Nice to see there are some other people like that here. ;)

Emperor Xanderich II
6 April 2002, 11:57 AM
D&D when I was about 7ish then onto AD&D and then Star Wars when I was 18. Never looked back!:)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
6 April 2002, 02:58 PM
Let me think...

Zelda for the old Nes system, that sorta was an rpg though I didn't care for it much, or those types of games back then... but hey, I was only a kid

Several years ago with the Baldur's Gate serries of PC games using the d20 1st or 2nd edition rules, I totally got into that serries up to date ...

And now the sw d20 game i sorta got interested in nov, and in a few sw d20 rpg games now ... :)

Nova Spice
6 April 2002, 06:21 PM
Geez you guys are old! :p I started playing d20 Star Wars last year, when I was 15, so yes, I'm 16. I GM right now to a group of four. (The oldest being 18, then me (16), then 15, then 14, then 13). Personally I will play the RPG for another six years at least (2 more years of high school, 4 of college). I also play sports (football, basketball, and baseball) so sometimes we can only play once every two weeks. It is a shame to know I have so many years of RPGing to look forward to!;)

Rouge8
6 April 2002, 06:24 PM
I started last year at 10 with the D20 Star Wars

Sil7
6 April 2002, 06:33 PM
I have my illustrious beginings in the D20 system, with the "Adventures of Theed" boxed set.

Sil7

Bjorn
7 April 2002, 09:55 AM
I first tried gaming while in 8th grade (1985) with Star Frontiers, but didn't play get to play more than one game becasue the guys running the game deided that it was taking too much time having to explain things to me. :(

Then the next year, when I started 9th grade, I met a guy who I quickly became friends with. He invited me over to his place one day & while there, I saw all his D&D books sitting on his shelf & asked him what they were. He explained them to me & told me that he had moved away from his gaming group, so he doesn't play anymore. He then asked me if I'd be interested in trying the game some time & I said yes. I made a Fighter (as most first time D&D players do) & played. My first encounter was with a couple of Kobolds. They almost killed my first character, but a few lucky rolls & I managed to survive. From that moment forward, I was hooked on RPGs! Then I went home & told my parents what I had played. 8o My dad flipped! He told me how D&D was evil & if I kept playing that someday I'd find myself running around the woods, naked & worshipping the devil! I tried to tell him that it wasn't like that, but he told me that he didn't want me to play anymore. Well, being a teenager, I kept playing & not telling him. But he did eventually find out...

Now its many years later, I don't play D&D as much as I use to & my dad has learned that everything that he hears in the news & from other sources isn't always true. My friend & I still get together to play (with a couple other guys now) once or twice a month. We play Star Wars mostly now, but run a couple other game every once in awhile just for the fun of it.

Enough of me travelling down memory lane, but I can still remember how it felt the first time I ever played a game....

Bjorn

dgswensen
7 April 2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bjorn
Then I went home & told my parents what I had played. 8o My dad flipped! He told me how D&D was evil & if I kept playing that someday I'd find myself running around the woods, naked & worshipping the devil! I tried to tell him that it wasn't like that, but he told me that he didn't want me to play anymore. Well, being a teenager, I kept playing & not telling him. But he did eventually find out...

Wow... I've been down that road.

When I was a teenager, almost everyone else in my family was deeply religious... my grandparents were strict Lutherans, and my dad was part of Jerry Falwell's Liberty Bible University. My sister was really religious, too, of the Pentecostal bent back then -- I guess you can imagine how big playing D&D went over with my parents. I got a lot of flak for it, and even had to play in secret for awhile.

The worst part was when my stepfather, in a drunken rage, took all my roleplaying books and ran over them with his car. 8o

But that was a long time ago... now it's years later, and I do as I please. :) Sorry to hear about your tribulations... I'm sure many of us have been there.

Dr_Worm
7 April 2002, 04:50 PM
Oroginally posted by NovaSpice-
It is a shame to know I have so many years of RPGing to look forward to!

You only have to stop when you die baby! Heck maybe they have gaming groups in heaven (and I know you plan on going there). I thought you had been gaming for longer, from the nature of your posts. I am surprised.

Emperor Xanderich II
8 April 2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar & Raven

Several years ago with the Baldur's Gate serries of PC games using the d20 1st or 2nd edition rules, I totally got into that serries up to date ...

Yeah they're really cool, the number hours I've wasted... I mean enjoyed played those games is unreal! Throne of Bhaal was excepional.

So-Var Leet
8 April 2002, 08:14 PM
I started playing RPGs seriously when I found MechWarrior, the RPG for BattleTech, which I had been playing for a while previously.

Then it went to Alternity, then to Vampire: The Masquerade, and now it's at Star Wars.

I also played a system called "Recon" a little. It's an RPG about GIs in Vietnam. Actually, it is quite good and the easiest one I've ever seen to get started in. Only three atributes (Strength, Agility, and Awareness), and it was all done with percentiles. You could play the whole game with one d10 if you had to.

M-E-M-O-R-I-E-S. :D

Lord Byss
9 April 2002, 02:00 AM
Started off playing AD&D when I was 8, ran D&D when I was 10-12. Gave it a break for a few years (went on to wargaming until 14 ish). Played some SW 1st ed (WEG) then onto White Wolf in a big way. Ran and played lots of Vampire Mage and Werewolf. Played some Judge Dredd, DC Heroes, Aliens, DC, Cyberpunk and a handful of others. Got bored one day after watching the trilogy back to back and decided I wanted to run starwars this time instead of playing. Started running the WEG 2nd ed. r+r abd as a natural progression, started the move to d20.

PapaSith1
10 April 2002, 06:17 PM
i started playing when i was 15 earlier this year. it was SW-RPG but is was the D6 version. it is also the only one i have played

XavierDrgn
22 March 2003, 03:37 PM
if were going RPGs in general...ive been doing that since i was 10. out in the yard with buddies playing guns or whatnot.

sticking with the RPG systems though...i was 20 when i first started playing D&D. actually i had found a used 1st Ed box set in my local junk store years ealier but this was the first time id played with other people.

the SW genre i didnt get into til i was about 28-30. then it was D6 WEG version and i thought it was kinda corny and wasnt what i was used to. so i stopped for a few years. now i play D20 alot.

The Force be with you
Xavier D'rgn:raised:

Darth Fury
22 March 2003, 03:46 PM
I started gaming when I was 9 or 10 with Marvel Super Heroes boxed set :D

then progressed to d&d, ad&d1&2, WEG(d6), Batteltech, star fleet(fasa), Space Hulk, 40k, Babylon 5 wars, D&D3rd ed, and SW D20

Jericho_Narcas
22 March 2003, 09:42 PM
I stated playing D&D when I was about 12, after a friend introduced me to the Basic Set. It wasn't long before we were playing Advanced D&D, Star Frontiers, and Marvel Super Heroes. We fooled around with Traveller for a bit too, although we never really played a game -- we just made a bunch of characters.

Darklighter
22 March 2003, 11:12 PM
I started when I was around 11 years old. We played a little D&D Basic (the ol' red box), but never took it on in an extended and involved way. It wasn't until University that I started playing anything again - a little Star Wars, Shadowrun (which proved the most popular with the rest of the group), Warhammer, and a very little AD&D 2nd Ed.

malphas13
23 March 2003, 04:16 AM
I think I would have been about 13-14 I read through an old-school D&D module. It was meant for one player, but I had no DM so I ran myself through as a both DM and player... Needless to say I did quite well... ;) After that I met up with someone I hadn't seen for years and we started up a group. We played D&D 2nd edition until I got banned because my low level ranger took out a half giant with something like 3-4 times my HP. (The "sap" rules back then were nasty...) So long story short I've been playing 11 odd years now... Gods, it makes me feel old... ;)

Codym
23 March 2003, 05:17 AM
I was introduced to D&D via the old saturday morning cartoon series, way back in the early 80's, and started playing playing when my junior high school started running it during hobbie time. That fell over soon after, but re-entered the RPG world during my lunch brakes at school playing a long running campaign of the WestEnd's Star Wars rpg, and sampling many other systems.

That fell over once I left school, and I didn't roleplay for quite a while until I moved to Christchurch five years ago and was introduced to the local university's roleplaying society (of which I am now a commitee member for.) From there I've played Rifts, Necroscope, D&D 3rdEd, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulu Space 1889, StarCraft and GMed two Star Wars campaigns using my own gaming system.

Currently I'm playing in a D&D3: Planescape game and fantasy campaign using my system. I should also start GMing my own fantasy setting, ElfWar, in the next couple of weeks.

Roleplaying seems to play a rather large part in my life...

Crin Daroota
23 March 2003, 07:12 AM
Believe it or not, I never played until about 5 months ago. I'm 24 and we're playing d20 Star Wars out of the RCR. It's my first gaming experience and I'm loving it. :)

Ravager_of_worlds
23 March 2003, 11:03 AM
started when i was 10 with... "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" by Palladium books. I thought it was so cool... i had a mutant Tiger that was a master of martial arts and his claws. somehow, he always had an arsenal of .45s about his person... jee, that was, 1990. :D

it's been many hop skips and jumps until i found my way to star wars d20

LanLarado
23 March 2003, 11:07 AM
I was 14 years old and I started off on Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I was at summer camp and some kids started playing. I wanted to play and they let me join in with them. I have been playing role playing games ever since!

Jedi Cahlwyn
23 March 2003, 11:31 AM
I started when I was eight (I was in advanced placement classes and my reading level was about four years higher) when my cousin (who was fourteen) allowed me to play with him. We started with 1st Ed AD&D. The next year 2nd Ed came out and I bought all the rulebooks with money that I had been saving all year.

I played 2nd Ed AD&D almost religiously, until about 1995 or so when I started to get into a few other games. I tried Amber, Vampire: The Masquerade, WEG's Star Wars RPG, etc. When WEG's Revised and Expanded version came out we started to spit our gaming between that and AD&D. Then my group (including my girlfriend and nephews) converted to 3rd Ed D&D when it premiered at GenCon and we only had a day to learn the rules for the D&D Open the next day.

Since then we've been playing d20 D&D and Star Wars and even playtested and played the d20 EverQuest RPG. I'm a big fan of the d20 system.

Anyway, enough of "here's my life!". :D

Jan Tolbara
23 March 2003, 01:13 PM
I started gaming with the red D&D book when I was 12. It was mostly a number of short jaunts with characters that I and a few other kids around the neighborhood rolled up. Role-playing went by the wayside when I went to high school; I was involved with a lot of extracurricular activities and didn't have time outside of school.

I picked up gaming again when I went to college and saw a bulletin advertising adventure. I started in a 1st ed AD&D campaign that went all year. For the rest of my time in college, I played mostly 1e and 2e AD&D and Shadowrun, but I played a game of WEG Star Wars. I have been gaming ever since, but I didn't get heavily into the Star Wars RPG until about four years ago when an old friend of mine started running it.

Tossk
23 March 2003, 01:47 PM
13. First edition of this very game!!!!!!

I picked up the OCR when my sister was getting some of the Star Wars books she lacked.:D

Since then, i've dabbled in Spycraft, Vampire: the Masqurade, D&D3E, and this system, but i'm truly ancored in this one! :D :D

lynnlefey
23 March 2003, 10:13 PM
It was 1982 or so, with Star Frontiers. That moved quickly to AD&D 1st ed, and Marvel Superheroes.

All that though, has roots in the fact that 6 years earlier, I had two comic subscriptions, 'Spider-Man', and 'Star Wars'.

Through High School, I tried Top Secret, Paranoia, Mechton, and most of the Paladium line: Robotech, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT. Add to that a couple attempts at various systems, Traveler among them.

A LOT of time in those days also went into Star Fleet Battles.

Out of High School, I moved to 2nd Edition AD&D, and then to Champions. I got an extended run as a player of Champions, which was great, and a brief run in Babylon Project.

I currently game master a D&D 3e game, and own the D20 SW and Call of Cthulhu games.

For those of you who are just starting... it is a hobbie that really becomes part of your reality. You may give it up for various periods, but you'll likely find yourself coming back.

Ardent
23 March 2003, 10:50 PM
My FIRST exposure to role-playing was with D&D first edition when I was 8. However, I only played it once and it didn't really take. I was re-introduced and assimilated by D6 Star Wars when I was 12 and have been playing varied systems more or less since.

Some of the ones I've enjoyed (not counting d20 systems) include Rifts, White Wolf, D&D 2nd Edition, D6 Indiana Jones, and the occasional Cyberpunk.

I was also introduced to strategy gaming at 12, and still play Warhammer and Warhammer 40k on occasion (mostly when someone is willing to lend me an army since I can't find mine).

StClair
24 March 2003, 12:38 AM
The year was 1981 or 1982, I believe; the system was Basic D&D (the box with the red dragon on the front, and the blue-cover book inside). It was really big at my school and I was invited to join in. My first character ever was "Trebbelos, Boy Magician" out of the back of B1, In Search of the Unknown; I recently rewrote the character with, like, a background and everything.

For SW, it was WEG 1st Edition, which I read cover-to-cover months before I actually got a chance to play it. Messed up the GM's plans a little as a result, because he incorporated a bit from one of the short adventures in the back, and I blew the spoiler. Oops.

Crymoon
24 March 2003, 03:45 AM
My first system was a small Polish home made system for inexperienced players called "The eye of Yrrhardes" (or sth like that)... when was it?... Let me think... some ages ago... I was like 15 then... I quickly changed to AD&D second edition and started off with the best campaign ever writen for tha system (the time of troubles saga) From then I searched for a ssytem I'd like and played and made many (played: Amber, GURPS, Star Wars d6, Star Trek, Werewolf, Vampire, Crystals of Time (Polish system), AD&D (+players option) , Fusion, CP 2020, Warhammer, L5R, and some others) but then the d20 appeared and it's a system that suits me botha s a player ad GM... so for now my road is finished until other system will find the Golden Way between mechanics and role-playing.
It was a long road some 13 years...

coldskier0320
24 March 2003, 04:04 AM
Wow, this is a cool thread. My goodness...if you count freeform (my one fellow SW nut from the beginning telling me what his PC did and i made up the outcome) I've been into SWRPG since like K-garten or first grade. We both really liked how it was going and even though we had to restart a few times b/c of unrealistic events (my 'Gamemaster Ally Of The PC' and my buddys PC once owned a fleet in which two SSDs were merely escorts for the eclipse SD that was the flagship)
If you want to go with hard and fast rules RPing, we've only started playing SWRPG d20 in the past year. Although i DID buy a few D6 books from a bookstore @ the mall while we were doing freeform, i really started to get into d20 just over the past few months (like last June or July) Actually, we'd been working off of only my OCRB for the first 6 mos. of gaming then i bought the A&EG and SotG and now just last sat. i FINALLY got a copy of the RCRB!!!:D So, my experience with SW is great but my XP w/ d20 is little:)

Wedge in Red2
24 March 2003, 05:59 AM
First Ed D&D at about 15 or 16 was my first "published" game. I actually had written a fantasy roleplaying game myself before that, although very basic, and a friend of mine said to me "hey, you should try D&D". I got into SW D6 shortly afterwards, and played on and off for a couple of years.

Jon

KenobiJim
24 March 2003, 08:45 AM
I started when I was 15 with 1E AD&D (I SOO DIED that first night...) with a borrowed 17th level ranger... Played for a while, picked up Star Frontiers. When I was in the Army, I got into a Forgotten Realms game. Later I learned Shadowrun, Champions, SWRPG 2nd Ed, call of Cthullhu, Heavy Gear, Legend of the Five Rings and finally 3e D&D and SW D20. And I am still alive after all of that. Lots of character sheets. Thousands of dice rolled. oof...

Thanks to all the people I gamed with and all the friends I made - there are too many to mention.

Jim

Oly
25 March 2003, 02:27 AM
I started gaming when I was around 12 back in 1986 when I started Secondary School. My first game was the Warhammer RPG and I really enjoyed it. A group was then started up at school with a teacher running a mass group of us through some incarnation of D&D. A smaller set of us then branched out playing Call of Cthulhu.

The first game I GM’ed was Star Wars D6 shortly after it came out in 1987. Since then I’ve GM’ed Ghostbusters, Twilight 2000, Judge Dredd, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Stormbringer, Ork!, 7th Sea, Chill, Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars D20.

Aside from that I’ve played D&D, AD&D, Vampire, Werewolf, Cyborg Commando’s (never ever again!), FASA’s Star Trek, Runequest, Shadow Run, Top Secret, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Space 1889, Gurps (briefly), Toon, Buffy, Torg and much more Call of Cthulhu and Warhammer.

I’m now approaching 29 and still gaming once or twice a week with two different groups. I’m married too so it’s further proof that it is possible :)

The only real gap I’ve had in gaming since 1986 was when I went to University, which is odd in that it’s when many people really get into it.

Regards,

Oly

Wesly Senesca
25 March 2003, 05:29 AM
Fist off:

For those of you who are just starting... it is a hobbie that really becomes part of your reality. You may give it up for various periods, but you'll likely find yourself coming back.

You're darn tootin'!

Anyway, I started about 6 years ago with Werewolf 2ed from White-Wolf. Me friends and I also dabbled in AD&D 2ed, but it never really got of the ground. We played Vampire, Mage, a short run on Hunter (it failed miserably). We even tried out Shadowrun 3ed, but they complained about the rule system too much. Every now and then we might play Battletech so I could wup their @$$. When D&D 3ed came out we got hooked on it and have been playing that ever since. We also run an Exalted game that has a lot of steam, and I've been running a D20 Star Wars for about a year now with very little complaints. I'm 20 now, and I'll be damned if lynnlefey isn't right about RPGing being a part of one's life like that.

Jedi Master Talon
25 March 2003, 08:49 AM
I started about 2 years ago and I'm 15 I use the D20 system since it was like the 3rd addition in D&D. I just wanted to play Star Wars. Played it once and I got hooked.

proxima centauri
25 March 2003, 12:18 PM
I think this will be different than the
"I started off with DnD" kind of thing....

I must have been 10 at most and it was l'Oeil Noir aka
Das Schwarze Auge//Realms of Arkania.

Probably because of the very popular Livre dont vous êtes le héros aka Fighting Fantasy books, sort of close to RPG.

Most people I know started off with these adventures, back in the early 1980s because these were translated in french and more abundant than DnD.

Eventually moved to ADnD and tried Palladium (Rifts, TMutantNinjaT, Ninja&Superspies, ...), RoleMaster, Mythus, Torg, Marvel TSR, DC, Vampire, Battletech, SW WEG, and many others. Also some board games... like BloodBowl :D

Recently moved to D20 DnD, SW d20 and Mutants & Masterminds.

:)

mojo1701
26 March 2003, 11:44 AM
A friend of mine's brother and his group of friends taught him...

He taught his friends...

One of my friends started a D&D campaign about 3-4 years ago, and he invited me. I said that I had no idea how to play. He said he'd teach me...

Anyway, about a year before that, I got IoT for a Christmas present. I stored it away, since I was too young to learn it by myself, and my younger brother lost most of the dice, save the d4, d6, d8 and d20.

Anyway, I found IoT again, and decided to host one of the adventures. About half a year later, I ordered RCRB from amazon.com, and started ...

Lucas Carr
27 March 2003, 04:24 AM
I was in my mid-teens and my first RPG was a Swedish RPG called "Drakar och Demoner." My first English RPG came soon thereafter and it was most probably WEG Star Wars.

Macdeth
27 March 2003, 06:11 AM
Man everyone started so young!

I was 17 or 18...and I'm only just now 20.

I startedwith 2nd edition Ad&d...A great time. Now I am into a lot of different system and I am now even ding work for a new RPG company, Infinate Realities. I am helping with a sci-fi game.

Come a long way in 2 or 3 years.

God bless RPGs!

Adar Tallon
30 March 2003, 05:02 PM
First Edition AD&D and Basic D&D when I was 13 (November 1982). I played with a group at lunchtime in school (8th grade) and have continued ever since.
Ran my first game using the Palladium System with Robotech when I was 16 or 17.

joebi_wan_kenobi
3 April 2003, 10:19 AM
I've always been a star wars fan, but i never realy got nito roleplaying at all (due to lack of exposure--- none of my friends or anyone i knew played). i started off as a star wars collecter (albeit a horrible one, i always took toys out of the package to play with them :D ) until my buddy jason and I were at a waldenbooks and i spotted WEG star wars, 2nd edit. and said, hey, let's try that! I picked up the book and we went home and started to attempt to figure out the rules. we had a few campaigns that mostly fizzled, and his attention went elsewhere (girlfriends.....bah). at that time, i was 15 years old (i'm now 22, as of today).

I talked to my best friend who was a star wars fan as well, and in theater classes at the time, and the idea really appealed to him and we started a campaign between the two of us that lasted like a year and a half, and one of the best ones i've played EVER. To make a long story short, he was an ex emperor's hand whose memory got destroyed when the emperor died at the battle of endor, but he kept getting all these horrible flashbacks, and eventually the reborn emperor found him, and started retraining him. it lasted like 5 years star wars time, and it was where i got my first taste of REAL roleplaying, not just a lot of die rolling.

Eventually, that campaign fizzled due to some changes in my friend's life, but later on we started talking again, and he wanted to play Vampire the Masquerade (with me as a player). I gave it a whirl, and promptly got sucked in as my GM did the best he could to scare the ever living $H!7 out of me. I'd have to say that was the best non star wars game i've played.

we graduated, and eventually he moved away, and WEG went out of business.....it was a dark time for me as a RPer. I made other friends in the meantime, and even rekindled some old ones i never knew i even had (you know who you are;) ), and i tried to con em all into roleplaying. a lot of one shot games in this period. During this time, WotC came out with the OCR, and not surprsingly as an old d6er, i howled in protest at how crappy it was. I swore i'd never play it, but when the RCR came out, it told me to know my role and shut my hole and slapped me down with its revised goodness. i have since learned the d20 system, and know it as well as d6 now (which is helpful for converting stats.... i have a massive SWd6 library). I figured seeing as how there were going to be no more d6 supplements, i better evolve or die out...

Surprisingly, one of my one shot games evolved into the current one I GM now, and have been playing for 6 months. My best friend comes in on a regular basis just to play my game when he heard the me & my other friend were playing, and he wanted in. My other friend, who happens to be an artist, said he wanted to give it a try, and now he's addicted as well. That's really good, because we now have someone with artistic talent who can draw character sketches, and npcs. In fact, we are going to work on our own custom sourcebooks with steve's art, and all of our writings and ideas. It is a golden age for my star wars roleplaying life now, and i intend to live it at its fullest---:D :D :D my dream is to write for SWRPG, but seeing as how i have neither a college education or any published works, it's gonna be quite difficult... (moridin, if you have any advice at all, lay it on me) the best i figure i can do for now is contribute to the online community as best as i can--- thanks for putting up with me, and reading this massive post ;)

oh, and as a side note, during my one shot period, i gave DnD a try. the campaign i was in wasn't very good at all (very fighter heavy and combat based, and i was a rogue), and i bought the 3 3E core books for posterity, seeing as how i knew it had potential, but right now i'm focusing on star wars.

Dack Ravin
3 April 2003, 05:06 PM
I started when I was 15 and a Freshman in high school with WEG 2nd Ed R&E Star Wars. Since then I've branched into D&D, Rifts, Shadowrun, SWRPG d20. I'm currently running a few WEG d6 SWRPG games.

Kyndig_Episte
3 April 2003, 06:26 PM
i started seriously role playing shortly after i got out of the navy, which was 4 years ago. i started playing d-6 star wars but then moved into d20 after it was released. i have played white wolf games, dnd, 7th sea and for a little while the spycraft game. i am right now gming a star wars game and playing in the buffy rpg. i can say that i really enjoy role playing games. i'm glad that i have gone into it.

Tossk
3 April 2003, 07:17 PM
Happy Birthday! Joebi-Wan!:D ;)

Darth Fury
4 April 2003, 04:06 AM
Happy B-day joebi!!!

Hyperspace Marauder
4 April 2003, 04:18 PM
I started with 2nd Ed. D&D when I was 13 (1988). Short after that I went to WEG and ran with it. When WEG went under, I went to White Wolf and drowned my sorrows there.

When D20 Star Wars came out, I was skeptical but experimentative. I liked the system so much that I even went back to D&D (3rd ed). Now, I play in any system that catches my interest. However, SW is still my first love.

Hyperspace Marauder

Greystar
9 April 2003, 01:34 PM
Started when I was 9 with AD&D and Star Frontiers. Also dabbled in a little Villian's and Vigilantes. Been playing ever since. My wife thinks a waste of money. Although I refuse to oblige her on waste of money hobbies since she does both rubber stamping and bead work which cost alot more then my roleplaying. I also turn 30 this year. I also play/gm GURPS, Werewolf, Vampire, D&D 3rd Ed, AD&D 1st-2nd Rev + Skills&Powers, Paranioa, Anything In the Palladium Games System. Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Call of Cathulu, Marvel and DC Heroes, Starwars 1st/2nd Ed, now 3rd Ed since my 1st/2nd ed books where all stolen from my car one night (which im sure surprised the thief when he/she opened the 50lb bag o books and about 500 dice), and many others. I'm trying to get one of my friends to play AD&D but he's afraid he will get addicted (since he likes baulder's gate really well), and you really can't get most of the 2nd ed much less 1st Ed books now. I thaught my best friend how to play after I met him reading a DragonLance book. (That book was the only reason we met) And truthfully I was the only real friend he had (that comming from him). Me being able to shug off the fact that he had an irritating habbit of attempting to prove he was better then everyone else on earth and he was stubborn as hell, which has since changed for the better. Which for some reason he says all the credit for the changes goes to me for my patience. But anyway I babble.

I also hope my Son shows interest in the game when he gets to be around the age I was when I started, I taught my little brother at an Earlier age, but he was very annoying. I would also like him to be old enough to do the math himself so I don't have to :D !

Rouge8
9 April 2003, 06:17 PM
I started with the Invasion of Theed at 10.
My brother begs me to play, but he is six, and can't read well enough:D

Nova Spice
9 April 2003, 06:37 PM
I started role-playing when I was fifteen, about two and a half years ago. I introduced the Invasion of Theed Adventure Game to four of my friends, and became the unopposed GM. We've been going ever since. ;)

hisham
9 April 2003, 07:49 PM
I started role-playing when I was fifteen, about fifteen years ago. I introduced the Rebel Breakout scenario in the 87 rulebook to four of my friends, and became the unopposed GM. We've been going ever since.

Well, at least until the furry, purple three-legged chicken-lizards with the screaming waffle irons began to attack us, then we scattered and ran.

(With apologies to Nova for the template ;))

Nova Spice
10 April 2003, 04:20 AM
(With apologies to Nova for the template )

Quite alright hish! :D :P

Not meaning to change the subject here, but I was mildly curious how regularly you gamed nowadays, ever since you became a father? :)

hisham
10 April 2003, 04:59 AM
My last game was in December 99.

8o

Yes, I know. I should be shot.

However, I am beginning a PBEM campaign as a player, GMed by Dragon Fox IX.

Dr_Worm
10 April 2003, 09:48 AM
I have 2 kids and let me tell you...the last time I gamed in person was once, a year ago, when my brother was in town. Hell that was the only time I have ever played D20 in person. I game alot PBP though to keep my skills up. However my brother is moving back this summer, so hopefully I an get al least some monthly gaming in. I really miss it.

I know I could get with a group locally through my gaming store but the problem for me is that most of the gamers I have met:
-A-don't have kids or a family. They do not understand the flexability that you have to have and the resposabilities.
-B-are socially inept in one way or another. The only ineptitued I find that are caustic to the game are either extreemly violent, extreemly competitive, or they think always right and smarter than the world. Hell one guy was all three.

So I wait for my gaming buddy to come back, and until then PbP is my only outlet.

Trandoshan Jedi
10 April 2003, 10:07 AM
I started a year ago when I was 14 with Star Wars D20

Jake Sunspot
10 April 2003, 01:21 PM
I started at 12 or 13 with first edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and TSR's Marvel superheroes game. The Marvel system was perhaps one of the worst I have ever played (especially compared to DC heroes and Champions) but it was fun and it really got me hooked on RPGs. I have since played every version of DnD, Rifts (which also has a cumbersome system) D6 Star Wars, Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Wraith, Changeling, G.U.R.P.S., Twilight 2000, Car Wars, Kult, Call of Chuthulu, Pendragon, Top Secret S.I., Legend of the Five Rings, Champions, DC Heroes, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Spycraft, and of course Star Wars D20.

I'm sure I forgot something.;)

Dr_Worm
10 April 2003, 02:09 PM
I am so excited to see more Car Wars fans...I was begining to think I was alone. That was so much fun, especially when they came out with rules for metal armor and gas engines...Road Warrior baby!

RoyalGuard
10 April 2003, 02:12 PM
I started at the tender age of 11, playing star wars d6

played up till 13-14, in WEG Star Wars, AD&D Dragonlance, WW Vampire and Shadowrun.

GMed for the first time at around 15 (Mechwarrior) then went on to GM AD&D (Forgotten Realms). Was in a group that won the Regional schools Role-playing contest, and got free tickets to GenCon as a result.

More playing and GMing, playing SLA, Cuthulu, Shadowrun and Vampire, GMin Wraith, 'till University.

Then at Uni, played Vampire and AD&D (3rd ed, custom world, rogues rock!) as well as GMing Shadowrun (rd Ed) before GMing Star Wars D20 this year (NJO Remnant Campaign)

My next Campaign will probably be Call of Cuthulu D20, and my HP lovecraft reading for this has given my current SW campaign quite a dark tone. Oh well it is the NJO after all!

Jake Sunspot
10 April 2003, 02:57 PM
Car Wars is totally awsome. One of the best games you can play when you have down time or not all your group shows up. Gas Engines are the Shizzle fo Rizzle

Greystar
10 April 2003, 08:34 PM
Steve Jackson Games was supposed to be releaseing a new version of Carwars. I think it is still in the works somewhere. I would like to get a new copy of that as well as Autoduels for the Gurps RPG. So if anyone knows of a good spot I can find it point me there. (I've been watching Ebay).

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
13 April 2003, 08:40 PM
Wel... I got interested in SWRPG a few years ago when I read one of the "Tales" books. In the preface, the author describes what it was all about, and I was facinated. I got some supplements just for the info content. I got the original D20 Core Rulebook and some stuff for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago... I don't remember. But that system seemed needlessly complicated. My friends and I created numerous characters, but not really ever played. I ran a seat-of-my-pants adventure about escaping Echo Base, but it was kind of with me making up the rules as I went along.

Yesterday I was in my local gaming shop and saw the D6 Secong Edition Revised and Expanded, etc, rulebook for $15. Took a look... seems a lot simpler, faster, more streamlined. Gonna try to run an adventure this weekend.

Dark72Jedi
14 April 2003, 06:23 AM
I started at the age of 12 in 1984. Two guys (Jim Cunningham and Roy Asta) got me 'addicted' with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Basic Dungeons and Dragons while I lived in Alaska. My father was Air Force so we moved about quite alot. The good thing was that I found roleplaying everywhere I went.
The only time I ever took a hiatus from roleplaying was when I went into the Marine Corps in 1990. It wasn't until I got to the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance in 29 Palms, California that I found roleplaying again, but this time in the Storyteller line with Werewolf. Though I was actually out of roleplaying for about 3 years I did still buy rpgs...and I mean I bought just about everything (Toon, Star Wars d6, all Palladium games, Torg, Talislanta, Arcanum, etc). I veered away from DnD and didn't get back into that rpg until Star Wars D20 came out in 2000. I found that I liked the D20 system and wanted to see how it was handled for DnD...once again I found my addiction...Star Wars and DnD.

Emperor Xanderich II
15 April 2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Greystar
Steve Jackson Games was supposed to be releaseing a new version of Carwars.

Really? Very interesting indeed! I used to love car wars, it was great when you combined it with something like boat wars. We always had a few house rules and restrictions to make it more interesting.

Jake Sunspot
15 April 2003, 12:27 PM
Boat Wars sounds neat. I once played in an on going campaign that used Car Wars for the vehicle combat and a g.u.r.p.s. esque system for the non-vehicle action. It was pretty fun and would work great with D20 modern. hmmmm.....idea

Jedicrono
22 April 2003, 12:15 AM
I was 17, it was 8 years ago. I've always just played Star Wars because that is my true love. :) We played weekly for most of the time since. Only in the last year or so have things calmed down, but I've started GMing again. Good to be back at it!

Treefrog
25 April 2003, 09:32 PM
I was a sophmore in High School. Some of the guys I hung out with were playing Robotech after school one day. I used to watch the series when it was on, so I thought I'd give it a try. I still have those books that I bought 16 years ago. Later on I branched out to Vampire the Masquerade 2nd Edition. The most fun I've ever had gaming, is with my current group that I game with. When I didn't work, we would game WEG Star Wars all day and night (GOD, I miss those days), now I'll be lucky to game once a week (the price of marriage and kids). I started GMing Vampire in 1997, and I'm the only one who GMs Star Wars d20 in my gaming group. I'm 31 years old now, gaming over half my life now. I've tried many different game systems: Cyberpunk 2020, FASA/LUG Star Trek, Vampire, Werewolf, MERP, Rifts, Metabarons (once, which I'll never do again), AD&D, DnD, SWd20, and SWd6. My favorite game system is still Star Wars d20. Mainly because of the flexibility of each character.

AthonRogue
25 April 2003, 10:40 PM
Actually I remember playing 1st ed D&d w/ my much older cousin when I was 11 or 12... but I seriously started when I was 15 w/ good old west end star wars.. I collected as many sourcebooks as my meager allowance and summer jobs could afford. Then it was MERP and back to SW for the d20. But there has been many many good time with other systems and worlds... ah .. memowees.

Rogue Janson
26 April 2003, 09:23 AM
I started RPGing with SW D20 2/3 years ago, which would have made me 16/17. I'm not sure why we decided to start playing now, because apart from the few friends I play with I don't know anyone else who RPGs. I think I must have come across some RPG site (probably starwars-rpg, Toris or DLOS) and started investigating.

farr0095
30 April 2003, 04:03 AM
About age 14 with WEG's d6. Since then I've really only branched out into WotC's d20. Unfortunately I haven't had great success finding groups to Table-Top RP with, so I revert to Play-by-E-mail or Play-by-Post games.

starkiller210
30 April 2003, 02:26 PM
I started when I was 15 and have been hooked ever since

maxkuney
30 April 2003, 09:01 PM
I was about 12, in around 1978. First edition D&D I believe. Maybe even one of the D&D versions that was before 1e technically. I'm old now, so its hard to remember. :rolleyes:

Max

Caz_Adorm
1 May 2003, 12:36 AM
I started simultaneously playing SW d6 and LotR at the age of 11. I didn't play them very often, but at the age of 13 I started GMing those games, and playing Vampire: Dark Age, Werewolf, and some of AD&D.
Now, since last year, I GM Star Wars d20 and d6, and play Vampire: Dark Age as much as I can. Also, I roleplay in some of the Star Wars roleplaying sims on the internet. I'm not a full veteran, but hey, I already have 7 years of experience ;)

scoutjaylor
4 May 2003, 08:48 PM
Well i started when i was 8 and i played D&D basic.since then i played star frontiers,car wars,gurps,advanced D&D,rifts,robotech,star trek,battletech,heros unlimited,ninija and super spies,role master,middle earth,and now i only play D&D 3rd and star wars d20.

darthclancy
6 May 2003, 11:01 PM
About the same time when STAR WARS came out for D20. Great game and you've gotta go crazy for the system(well not for all but I go crazy for it).

E.D.

ElfWord
10 May 2003, 12:58 PM
I was 10 and played 2E D&D, then moved on to 3E.

Dallas
30 April 2004, 07:57 PM
i started when i was 14

Corran Horn
1 May 2004, 07:34 AM
I started gwtting an interest in the swrpg when i was 13. My parents never liked me getting to rpgs because they dont like D&D. Well im a fantasy fan so ive always wanted to play D&D but I dont know anybody who plays. My swrpg attempts with my bro and my best friend have gone down both times. The only success i had was with the Adventures of theed box set. Its hard going for me.

Snowtiger
1 May 2004, 08:49 AM
I think I was around 15 or 16, and I started with Cyberpunk 2020.

Fingon
1 May 2004, 11:50 AM
12, D&D, 14 SWRPG

linkstarwars
1 May 2004, 12:34 PM
:stormtpr:
I started a year ago when I was 13 and have been playing the SWRPG d20 system ever since.

Jericho_Narcas
1 May 2004, 02:42 PM
I started when I was 12 years old with the D&D Basic set. I'll be 34 in two months. Was it really that long ago?

Darth Fierce
1 May 2004, 07:09 PM
Gee...I'd say I probably first got into gaming when I was about 13 or 14. At that time, I was big into the "Star Frontiers" RPG (if many others remember that game, I'll be surprised). Even at the age of 28, I still have parts of that game tucked into my bedroom closet and bookshelf. Got into GURPS after "Star Frontiers" and then became a big fan of WEG's SWRPG system, which leads to here.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Dr_Worm
1 May 2004, 08:53 PM
I was down with Star Frontiers, but not as deeply as many other games. It was fun though the few times I played it.

wolverine
2 May 2004, 11:27 AM
has anyone tried to 'chart out' the responses??

wolverine
2 May 2004, 11:27 AM
has anyone tried to 'chart out' the responses??

Bigity_B
4 May 2004, 10:42 AM
6th or 7th grade I think.

In order:

Marvel Super Heroes (back when you played it with dice)
Star Wars (D6)
AD&D
Shadowrun
D&D

Those are all the big ones I've played, I've pretty much read them all.

johnnyputrid
4 May 2004, 10:53 AM
The year: 1983
My age: 11
The system: DnD basic set ("The Blue Box", or was it green?) and then AD&D a few months later.

Kyle Pantrakahs
4 May 2004, 02:00 PM
I was 17 and I started with D20 SW playing in the NJO era. My brother and I are finishing up an NJO campaign now and hopefully we'll start a Rebellion era one this summer. B)

wolfe
5 May 2004, 01:51 AM
Egawd i feel ancient now..

year 1972
game: chainmail - before D&D was D&D
then moved to D&D in 1974..
both in mediocre condition and signed by G.G . now given to youngest brother.
aah starfrontiers...still have an ongoing campaign for that one..
stopped D&D at d20..-just sick of fantasy games now i guess.
takes up alot of spacetoio..bookcases hah,try library, game room? doesnt fit either, convention hall is what i get teased at having.

I think i'll spend my newly gained early retirement from the service putting the rest of my games onto cd or dvd.. its easier to transport dvds and the laptop than getting a uhaul and a c-130 transport.
probably could have put somebody through collage with the amount of money spent on RPGs...

man, i need a hobby...
:D :D

wisper_sr
5 May 2004, 03:24 PM
I started out at the age of 12 playing Palladium Fantasy, Hero's Unlimited and Teenage Mutant Turtles.

Jedi Wrestler
6 May 2004, 07:06 AM
I started multiple times actually:

1st time would be back when this new thing came out called D&D in the early 70s. My mom bought this new game andthe family played it a few times as a group. I do not actually remember that much.

2nd time would be early 80s in grade school when a friend introduced it to me and we and a few others did it regularly. By about 8th grade we got too cool for that.

3rd time would be mid/late high school when me and some friends decided we missed the cheap fun and got over the social stigma.

4th time would college when we had given up and D&D and moved into this new Star Wars d6. And we've been roleplaying in one form or another for over a decade since. Yes I am one of those pathetic old gamers.

I don't knows whats more distrubing, that I've been an RPGer for over a 1/4 of a century or the fact that I've roleplayed every single game that has been mentioned on this thread plus a half a dozen others. Thank goodness I have a job, college degree and a masters degree or I'd really feel like a loser who flushed his life away on games.

Ris
6 May 2004, 09:11 AM
I was about 16 when I was introduced to RPG's in the form of the Original AD&D**. In a Gifted Education Class in public school. :rolleyes:
(Says something about the US school system, I'm not sure what...)

In college I branched out into other games. I met my husband in an otherwise Very Dubious AD&D game. We stopped playing for 2-3 years after we had kids. (Little kids & lead figurines are dangerous to each other, you know. Likewise, dice.) A few years ago, I starting GMing d20 SW for hubby and another couple who were also lontime gamers. I'm getting ready to restart my game, possibly with 1 or 2 other players.
BTW, hubby started with Chainmail.

**That should give enough of a clue about moi's vintage.;)

Dr_Worm
6 May 2004, 10:58 AM
Oh god...Jedi Wrestler I am reading some essays on addiction and I looked up to see your post and it totally cracked me up. If you change RPG to Pot...anyway it is pretty damn errie:

Not orriginally posted by anyone...this is a parrody.

I started multiple times actually:

1st time would be back when this new thing came out called Pot in the early 70s. My mom bought this new drug and the family tried it a few times as a group. I do not actually remember that much.

2nd time would be early 80s in grade school when a friend introduced it to me and we and a few others did it regularly. By about 8th grade we got too cool for that.

3rd time would be mid/late high school when me and some friends decided we missed the cheap fun and got over the social stigma.

4th time would college when we had given up and Pot and moved into this new Crack. And we've been getting high in one form or another for over a decade since. Yes I am one of those pathetic old junkies.

I don't knows whats more distrubing, that I've been an junkier for over a 1/4 of a century or the fact that I've used every single drug that has been mentioned on this thread plus a half a dozen others. Thank goodness I have a job, college degree and a masters degree or I'd really feel like a loser who flushed his life away on drugs.

The above is a parrody and is used to illustrate that anything, even rpgs, if taken to excess can be a problem.

Darth Bile
6 May 2004, 12:45 PM
i was 17, senior in high school, with my jaw wired shut at the time, and it was basic DnD, cause the 1st edition stuff was just coming out at that time, it sure was fun pantomining what my character was doing since i couldn't talk, course, i did write some stuff down too.

Jedi Wrestler
6 May 2004, 01:24 PM
LOL

That is down right funny.

It isn't the first time I've questioned whether I'm a RPG junkie.

Maynard
6 May 2004, 02:36 PM
I started about... 4 years ago? Maybe 5...with D&D 2nd edition. Bought 3rd edition when it came out. I was the DM for several (un)]successful campaigns which usually just dwindled into nothingness. To this day, my group of players have never, ever finished a campaign. About a year ago, we tried SWd20, but it sucked so much it lasted only 1 session. After christmas I started another campaign that is doing quite well. Maybe, just maybe, we will reach some sort of conclusion in this campaign. :)

FULONGAMER
7 May 2004, 06:20 AM
Well, I started out at my mother's encouragement back in 1979. I was 8 and we were in Germany. The game was Basic D&D swiftly followed by Expert, with not only the old crappy crayon filled dark blue dice, but the mixed set of sky blue and peach. (They still occupy my dice bag in places of honor).

By 10 I was GM-ing other kids in Nuremburg, and Star Frontiers started making the rounds of our tables as well.

By the time we made it back stateside in 85, Was building my library of 1st edition AD&D. Gaming here in the world just blew wide open for me. All the way through High School gaming on post with other kids, college students, and the soldiers in the Rec Center we had several games going to account for the various schedules people had, so something was available to play every day of weekend. We had solid games of:

AD&D 1st and 2nd ed in Mystara, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Hollow World, Red Steel, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Dark Sun
TMNT
RIFTS
Robotech
Dr. Who
Starfleet Battles
Star Trek (FASA)
Battletech (then CityTech and AreoTech)
MechWarrior 1st & 2nd ed
Top Secret
Marvel Superheroes
Villians and Vigilantes
Cyberpunk 2013 and 2020
Toon
Teenagers from Outer Space
Aftermath
James Bond 007
Aliens
Champions
Star Wars 1st and 2nd ed WEG
Traveller
Warhammer
Warhammer 40K
Squad Leader
LOTR (ICE)
After the Bomb
Blood Bowl
Mekton
Car Wars
Road Hogs
Palladium Fantasy
Ninjas and Superspies
Dark Conspiracy
Space Opera
Heroes Unlimited
Cynnabar
Gamma World
Torg
GURPS
Shadowrun
Paranoia
and a few other things I can't remember offhand

After I joined up myself in 89 I traded my Mostly Player Hat for the GM Screen by default and kept up the tradition of anything, anywhere or "Have Dice Will Game". Since then I have also racked up player or GM time in these:

Vampire
Werewolf
Talislanta
Mage
Kult
Wraith
Changeling
Rolemaster
EarthDawn
Mummy
Delta Green
Macho Women With Guns
Hunter's Hunted
Call of Cuthulu
D20 SW
D20 D&D
D20 Stargate SG1
D20 Modern
Living Steel
Big Eyes - Small Mouth (all)
HackMaster 4th Ed (dude, it soooo RAWKS)

Over the course of this period I also met my Wife who already gamed, had a son, who's started playing with us this year, and am looking at a few other things to add to my shelf and my game table.

Currently I have things ongoing in D&D 3.5, RCRB (Plus) Star Wars, HackMaster, and Battletech.

Never stopped, and I ain't gonna!

Arcome
7 May 2004, 10:08 AM
I was 11 years old, HEROES UNLIMITED biatch!!!!

TheExecutor
7 May 2004, 02:13 PM
AD&D age 10 D20 I liked it at the time but in the mid 80's Robotech came out and I loved it! That would be myy first RPG love... Robotech! and then SW.

DirkGreystoke
8 May 2004, 04:18 PM
I started at ten years old with the D6 Star Wars.

10 May 2004, 08:23 AM
My first time playing a PnP RPG was about 12 or so years ago at the age of 16. It was a classic D&D "Known World" campaign run using the Rules Cyclopedia, a few of the gazetteers, and the "Hollow World" boxed set. That campaign saw a group of ten or so novice players going all the way from level 1 to level 36!

In the years since, I've played in and run a wide variety of games, of course. Here's a partial list:

Vampire
Werewolf
AD&D 2nd Edition
D&D 3rd Edition
D&D 3.5
WEG Star Wars
Heroes Unlimited
Nightbane
Rifts
Robotech
Palladium Fantasy
After the Bomb
Synnibarr
Shadowrun (2nd and 3rd editions)
Mayfair's DC game
Blood of Heroes (a remake of the Mayfair DC system)
Trinity
MERP 2nd Edition

Darth Bile
10 May 2004, 09:03 AM
well, didn't know ya'll wanted actual games ya played, so here's my list of games i've either played or been dungeon master for:

basic DnD
1st edition DnD
2nd edition DnD
3.0 edition DnD
3.5 DnD
vampire
werewolf
mage
changeling
stormbringer
elric
runequest
star wars D6 (still my favorite system for star wars by far)
star wars D20
boothill
gurps
everquest
amber
beyond the supernatural
ninjas and superspies
nightbane/nightspawn
marverl super heroes
Dc
middle earth (the one by iron crown enterprise)
palladium
robotech
rifts
chill
call of chulthu (percentage)
call of chulthu D20
shadowrun 1nd
shadowrun 2nd
shadowrun 3rd
twilight 2000
amber
heroes unlimited
torg (hated it)
tasilanta (hated it also)
various star trek systems
mechwarrior
car wars( was bored with it, only played one time)
dark conspirace
cyber punk

some other ones, but can't remember them out right, oh yeah, there was a homebrewed system my friend created too.

johnpatrickmcp
11 May 2004, 09:17 AM
I was 14 when I started and my first game was none other than Star Wars D6 revised and expaned.

Darth Albeehotep
19 May 2004, 02:29 PM
I myself was 12 when i started gaming With a friend of mine in 7th grade starting on D&D 1st ED. Since then i have enjoyed my hobby and suffered for it as well when i was married 20 years ago my wife could not understand gaming and i believe she still tolerates it only because it keeps her husband happy.over the years i have played with great players,DM's and the not so great.but i would not change my experiances with gaming or the friends i have made not one bit.I've played D&D 1st - 3rd.Star Wars(WEG & WOC) Star Trek Traveller,Battletech.Warhammer.Marvel and DC heroes.I have gone to conventions and come home dead tired from gaming for 3 days strait AND be ready for the next one! In closing KEEP HAVING FUN:lukejedi: :sabersml: :vader: :D

Ayden Storm
20 May 2004, 08:01 PM
I think I was 13 when I first picked up a copy of ROBOTECH from palladium books. Then moved on to D&D 2nd, then Heroes Unlimited, RIfts (for power gamers don't like it anymore), Palladium Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Shadowrun (that and SW are my favorite game), Earthdawn, Legend of the Five Rings, 7th Sea (both when they were AEG), hell I can go on for a while, it is easier to say what I haven't played like GURPS.

Still love to play, have almost all the WEG stuff and all the D20 SW, just moved though and I don't have any groups to play in, been having withdrawals, and I am the one who always ran the games I never got to play.

giulliano
24 May 2004, 09:35 AM
I was 16 and had just finished high school and was going to college. I was introduced to RPG by a friend of my that had lived in the usa (we didnt have RPGs in Brazil in that time). It was a blast for me. Dungeons and Dragons Red Box. Man, that was a golden age.
Best regards to you all.

Giulliano
:bothan:

Weiser_Cain
24 May 2004, 05:43 PM
Unless we're talking crpgs I'd have to say I still don't play. I never had anyone to play with...

Vanger Chevane
25 May 2004, 01:52 PM
Weiser, have you looked into the Roleplaying & Trader's Infonet forums here?

There are a vast number of PBP & some PBIM games going on, you should be able to find one you like.

STAMPEDE
26 May 2004, 06:59 AM
II'm 22, been an RPG'er for a long time and a Star Wars fan for even longer, however I only bought my first tabletop rpg this year, Star Wars of course.

Slowly letting my partner test the waters, not easy to get a none roleplayer to like RPGs at such a late age.

FangoJett
26 May 2004, 06:05 PM
uh.. I just started about 2, maybe 3 months ago with Darth Matt and Jimbo Fatt. Of course, we started playing Star Wars d20.

Brandonsweet
27 May 2004, 07:11 AM
I got interested in role-playing after watching the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon when I was a kid, but it wasn't until one of my babysitters introduced me to the red D&D books in 1986 or so that I really got into it. I remember reading the "for ages 12 and up" on the books and thinking, man I'll have to wait forever to be able to play for real. I was probably 9 at the time so anything more than a year seemed too far away.

But every time my babysitter came over (he was probably in junior high at the time) he'd have the D&D books, or a strategy game like Ogre or Axis & Allies in his backpack, and we'd play until my parents came home. Probably from 1986-1989.

After that, I was in junior high and found some people who were playing Robotech, Rifts and Star Wars, and the rest is history.

JediJester
27 May 2004, 08:10 AM
I started playing in the mid 1980's. A friend and I found the first half (the book was in really bad shape and missing the last half of the pages) of the red Dungeons & Dragons book and some dice in a junk box. We took what we had and made up any rules we couldn't find. We also made up a lot of rules about rolling dice since we only had a d20, a d8, and a d6. Needless to say our rules combined with our fledgeling mathmatics skills had us slaying hordes of dragons and vast armies of undead in no time. But we had the time of our lives and that's all that mattered.

Stratos
27 May 2004, 09:05 AM
I was about 13 and bought the AD&D 2nd Edition book brand new! Played with my neighbors. Played with a group after school.

Later I moved on to WEG Star Wars which played on and off in High School & College.

Once the d20 Star Wars was announced... I formed a small group and we've played ever since (however the past year we've been idle as I've been recording the OGL CyberNet Soundtrack and now writing licensed campaign supplements for CyberNet, OGL Horror, OGL Ancients, and a bunch of other stuff!).

- Stratos

Dashdar
27 May 2004, 10:28 AM
My Senior year of highschool. A teacher's aid invited me to play at the local card shop in a SW D20 game. That started 4 years of fun. B)

Fingon
27 May 2004, 02:46 PM
(I'm speaking for a friend here)

Lets see... I was.... ummm... f... Trying to remember... eight?

My dad started me off when I was eight-ish, mostly to teach me math. Been playing ever since. Stared a couple SW campaigns here and there. Play D&D mostly. Stared playing the RuneQuest system this year. Best system EVER!!

Dread Pirate Roberts
4 June 2004, 07:29 PM
I started less than a year ago at 15 with D&D 3.5. I switch interests from D&D to SWRPG constantly since i have not found a group in my are to play with.

QWERTY
14 June 2004, 05:12 PM
I started when i was about 16ish playing Dungeons and dragons (fisrt ed) with the gxx dxxx most awful dm i have ever played with. a few years later i started runing and have become the groupd main gm.

Qwerty

(edited by moderator)

MalakiTyrel
14 June 2004, 10:07 PM
I was 13. The first game system was Gamma World. That was a long time ago.

Banzai Kamikaze
23 June 2004, 05:58 PM
I tried Vampire when I was 16.

Figureman2
25 June 2004, 06:41 AM
With the help of my social studies teacher, we got a roleplaying club set up in school, and he ran the first game. I was 15 at the time, and we played Deadlands: The Weird West, which, by the way, is a fantastic game for those who have never played it. Since then, all of the club's members have taken turns GMing their favorite system. Everyone knew that I'm a huge Star Wars fan, I picked up the Star Wars d20 books, and the rest is history.

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
1 July 2004, 05:42 PM
I started at 14, almost begrudgingly. On a shopping trip, my father pointed out a box in the store's games section, and asked "what do you think about this?". I just said "meh". Not long after, my birthday present happens to be this box - Star Frontiers: Alpha Dawn - and all I could think of, while grinning, was "umm... NOT Star Wars toys?"

I read it, liked it, tried to GM it with my sisters once (... once), then managed to assemble my cousin and his friends into a group. Then I nabbed D&D, Basic to Masters sets, AD&D 1E repints, and (surprisingly advertised with the 10th anniversary VHS tape) Star Wars D6. By the time I nabbed GURPS, the group had split. I hooked up with another group, as a player, but that lasted only a couple months. Now, yodayodayoda years later, I still haven't found time to gather another local group, though I still collect Star Wars D6/D20 and GURPS items in the meantime, and I had an online chat group going until the arrival of Star Crack (aka Galaxies).

Between my old groups, I've also played/sampled: Paranoia, Chill, Champions, Traveller (1977 set), FASA Star Trek, Mekton, The Fantasy Trip, Tunnels and Trolls (still the EASIEST system in the history of EVER!), Toon (2nd easiest), Aliens, Wizards, and Amazing Engine.

I still want a Knight Hawks companion of Zebulon's Guide. And I think of my first PC everytime I hear Heart's "These Dreams".

cheshire
2 July 2004, 03:43 PM
I only started a few years ago, when I was 24. While I was doing my masters program at a theological school I had a friend in the childrens' ministry program that told me he was joining a Star Wars D6 game. After he told me a bit about it, I thought I'd join in and give it a try.

Nowadays I'm GMing Star Wars D6. Fortunately, I'll be able to step back into the player's seat when my current campaign is done. I think it'll be a Star Wars d20, or a d20 modern.

stoic_75
10 July 2004, 10:21 AM
The first game I bought was Marvel Super Heroes when I was around 12. It was a horrible system. I discovered DC Heroes 2 years later and it was much better. By far the most customizible game. I started playing in amy first campaign for AD&D 1E in '87 and StarWars 1E around '89. Bought the 2E in 1994 and thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. I still think the old D6 had the best "feel" to it. I was lucky that I had lotsa kids to play with and supportive parents. I knew alot of kids that had whack jobs for moms who thought roleplaying was satanic.

John Brewer
11 July 2004, 08:30 AM
D&D when the only AD&D book was the Monster Manual, in 1978, I think. The other books were the ones out of the original basic set and the Basic Set that had the Basic book with the dragon on the front of it and Dungeon Geomorphs. We played with a friend's big brother who was a freshman in college, and three of us were 10.

Since then AD&D 1st edition and D&D original basic (white box + 4 supliments). WEG D6 Star Wars back in the mid-90's. Also Vampire and Mage (only a little Mage :( ), the Gurps variant of those two also, Shadowrun 1st and 2nd editions for about 2 years (1990-92), L5R 1st edition, and of D20 Star Wars and WW2 (V for Victory suplimented by Wierd Wars).

Currently running a Vampire game set in 1444, using DA:V rules. Still not liking the botch rules. Starting a game for/with my kids (9 and 8 years old) using the old white box set of D&D. Considering running a D6 Star Wars game along the lines of the Minos Cluster.

For the record, I like the D6 version better than the D20, but that's just me and not a moral judgement.

John

wolverine
12 July 2004, 02:34 AM
What about the botch rules for vampire DA are u not liking???

QWERTY
12 July 2004, 02:43 AM
i was sixteen and got brow beat by a friend tp play a d&d first ed game with the god damm most awfull gm i have evr had the displeasure to play with, i am currently running a 7playry group (8 with me) and have becaome the groups core gm.

Qwerty

John Brewer
12 July 2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
What about the botch rules for vampire DA are u not liking???

How easy it is to botch. At least in D6, there's only one wild die. Too many ones skew the bell curve downward artificially a little too much for my personal taste.

John

wolverine
13 July 2004, 02:47 AM
That is the old 2nd edition (pre revised) way. In the new revised, you have to have 1's, and NO successes. So even if you roll say, 8 dice, have 1 success, 5 1's and the rest just failures, you have only failed the roll, not botched.

John Brewer
13 July 2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by wolverine
That is the old 2nd edition (pre revised) way. In the new revised, you have to have 1's, and NO successes. So even if you roll say, 8 dice, have 1 success, 5 1's and the rest just failures, you have only failed the roll, not botched.

Ah, heck. Back to the book to re-read. I just skimmed it--which could explain why I missed it.

Derp!

Feelin' pretty smart about now,
John

Fier the Incarnate
22 December 2004, 08:28 AM
I started at age 13 just before christmas. It was at my cousin's house we made me a lvl 2 character to fit in the campaign at the time (thank goodness they started the week before). We played for about 2-3 hours and i was at lvl 3 by the end (at the time i thought 2000 xp was alot to gain). Now i GM games at my house with my friends. As a GM I still want in on the action so i am GM and run a hero.

If you live in the Oriole Beach area in NW Florida PM me thx.

darth_phobeius
22 December 2004, 10:23 AM
14 years old, when me and some friends would ride our bicks over to a friends house and play. It started with Shadow Run, then a couple others I can't remember. Then SWd6, and we got every book that WEG released. We had SW characters before the SWd6 game came out. Then when I joined the army, I was introduced to D&D, Vampire, and someothers before SWd20 came out. Sucks though, most of the group I played with over the years are gone one way or the other. Mainly just SWd20 now. Playing online, very few people to play with in the area.

Darth Funky
22 December 2004, 11:07 AM
I started with some incarnation of D&D run by my older sister when I was 8. That would be 25 years ago or so. I had a fantastic GM through my teenage years. In the intervening time I have played Star Wars d6 and d20, Marvel Super Heroes, Shadowrun, Torg, Twilight 2k, Chill, but my faves are d20 Starwars and D&D in its present incarnation (although on some occasions I long for 1st ed. rules).

Just for fun sometime I encourage everyone to take a look at your gaming "lineage." It is amusing to me to look at how many people I have introduced into this hobby in all of that time and what it has spawned.

darth venomous
22 December 2004, 11:22 AM
I stated not long after my first month of college at the tender age of 17. I got pulled into a 2nd ed. Ravenloft game and a V: tM game. I loved my first D&D character. He was bard and was the only original character to survive the whole game. I don't know how since he was a bard for god sake.

PneumaZ
22 December 2004, 12:01 PM
I acutally started playing very young, around 8 or so with the beginners AD&D back in 1986 sold in toys r us for kids. But my first real induction to RPG life must have been around 1992 when i was 14. I started playing with these guys up the road, as far as the system they indoctrinated me into 3 different systems at the same time. One was D&D, specically Forgotten Realms. Second was White Wolf, Vampire and Werewolf specifically. and Third was an odd game i can't find any more. Paranoia. I loved that game.

Shortly after i found palladiums games with Ninjas and Superspies, Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rifts and Robotech. I bounced around White Wolf for a long time before a system called Mekton Z which i played right up to the D20 system. Which i have played for the last 3 years. So...a few systems. But not too many.

Nealos
22 December 2004, 06:50 PM
I started around age 16. A neighbor was running D&D. I was more interested in RPG as a concept than in D&D. I played very little of it.

A mutual friend of ours started ran a short Robotech, short Twilight 2000 and a short Cyberpunk game. I played through those, all of which amounted to about six gaming sessions... Increased my thirst but didn't satisfy.

I talked my Mom into letting me come home with the first edition SWRPG. I was hooked. Kept buying books, talked some friends into it. Made more friends just by reading the damn things in class. Wound up building an eclectic group indeed...

Chris Smith, master member of the debate team and fine scholar. Jonathan Lucke, huge with the ladies and tres debonaire. Chris "Nugget", the STAR quarterback that took our High School to state for the first time in 30 years. David Paul, quiet and shy and straighlaced type. And me. Oh, me.

I ran a two year campaign that was worthy of novelisation. I'm 30 years old now and the friends STILL tell me their favorite moments from the campaign as though they were remarkable events in their lives.

They were remarkable moments, because we became remarkable friends.

Trevaul
22 December 2004, 08:57 PM
Seek ye the Dark Knowledge of a Gamer? Very well! Here is the Secret ye seek!

D&D Blue Book at eight years old back in 1979. Didn't really know what I was doing, but the pictures were great, I loved the dice, and oh, the maps...

D&D Basic Set around 81-83.

Rolled into AD&D in '84 at the ripe old age of 13. After that...well, here is the list:

Star Fronters (1st and 2ned Ed), Star Wars (ALL the editions...), Champions, MERP, HERO System, Gurps, Paladium Fantasy, TMNT, Robotech, Cyberpunk, Rifts, Vilians and Vigilanties, Star Fleet Battles, Star Fire, Traveler 2000, Warhamer Fantasy RPG, Warhamer, Warhamer 40K, Wierd Wars, d20 Modern, Spycraft, Alternity (Hans "Beefcake" Riplanger and his Quantim Mini named Dasy...), Warmachine, Warmachine RPG, Warcraft the RPG, Everquest the RPG, Elric (both the d20 version and the other version), Battletech, Mechwarrior, Mekton, BESM, Heavy Gear, a whole slew of d20 varient games (The Red Star being my favorite), Vampire, Werewolf, Amber...and a whole slew of games that I have probably forgotten. Wanna know what they all had in common? They used Dice, even the supposedly "diceless" games...

So, here I am at 33 years old, I've been playing RPG's, Mini's, and Boardgames for the last 25 years, and I doubt if I'll be slowing down anytime soon. I am a Gaming Geek.

Altman
23 December 2004, 06:45 AM
Good god...your right...25 years...

1979, i was what....i'm thinking 6 or seven...and played my first game with my aunt....she ran it...i seem to recall being vaguely rangerish...but that coule be wrong...anyway it was the well loved and often missed D&D red box set. I still have the ugly green d20 with the yellow crayon in the numbers (although it's become raher round in recent years...not particularly good for gameing).

Over the years i've played a few games:Hero, Vampire, Star Fronteer, Battletech, and about a half dozen home brew things my friends came up with....but mainly it's been D&D at heart (if not in the rules).

These days i'm involved in 2 games. An epic D&D solo campaign a friend of mine runs. It's basicly an excues to show up and pummel things and joke around about it...power gameing at it's worst, but a great way to blow off steam.
The second is a bit more mudled. You see you take D&D 3.5 (the system my GM knows best) throw in large doses of Farscape, Star Wars D20, Stargate SG-1, Battletech, and a home brew d20 alien game i found on the web (not to mention anything else anyone can think of that sounds fun) and let it simmer for 2 months or so between gameing secessions...lots of fun but at some point i'm gonna have to reinforce the kitchen table so they books don't crush it....

Darth Funky
23 December 2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Altman
Good god...your right...25 years...

This was kind of my reaction too when I realized how long I have devoted to this little 'hobby."

Filter
27 December 2004, 02:33 AM
It looks like everyone here startet with D&D. It´s interresting to read this couse here in Germany we mostly start with "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye) RPG our roleplaying career but you... ah well ;)

I startet at the age of 14 with the old D6 Star Wars and then came Shadowrun (and that is stil my favourite game). The Dark Eye, Cyberpunk, Call of Cthulhu, Battletech RPG, 7th Sea and now Degenesis (another all-german rpg but extremly cool) are although on my list.

I tried D20 and D&D but I don´t like it. Well, thats a taste-thing I think...

Ash DuQuennes
28 December 2004, 10:36 AM
I may be "dating" myself a bit here, so you young'uns mind that you respect your elders here! :P

I started in my early teens with the Basic Dungeons & Dragons Boxed Set (with optional "Advanced Rules"). Fantasy was never my real favorite mileu, even if I've had some outstanding fun with it; I've always preferred Science Fiction and Space Opera, so I quickly graduated to Star Frontiers (yech), Fantasy Game's Space Opera, and FASA's Star Trek.

Star Fleet Battles was okay, but I never really cared much for a straight combat simulator without any role-playing aspect, with Battle Tech being the exception (until the dreadfull Mech Warrior came out). The Battle Tech universe lost me when the whole "Lost Clans From Beyond" plotline was tossed in.

The Cyberpunk and Shadowrun games never really caught my interest very much, even if I like some aspects of their respective settings.

[shameless plug]

Biohazard's/Fantasy Flight's joint venture Blue Planet game is probably the best hard-science fiction role-playing game, even if it is no longer "on the market." Genetic enhancements, cyber-rules, corporate intrigue, One-World Government paranoia, and extremely "lethal" combat rules make it a dangerous game for the unthinking player.

[/shameless plug]

gigobyte
28 December 2004, 01:00 PM
1985, D&D was the game and I was 10 years old

Omnipotent
2 January 2005, 12:20 PM
i started at the age of 10, playing from my dad's venerable white box of the orignal d&d game. i still game to day, now age 14, and show no plans of ever stopping

Tao
4 January 2005, 04:57 AM
2000 or so, I actually started with the d20 version of Star Wars. I was 17, and at that point considered myself too cool to play roleplaying games. Unfortunately my friend and I saw the Star Wars CRB and, the two of us being closet Star Wars fans, we decided to buy it and give it a look over. I've been hooked ever since.

MalakiTyrel
19 January 2005, 04:53 PM
My first game system was Gamma World. I was 13. That was almost 20 years ago now.

Jame
21 January 2005, 05:21 AM
I only started actually playing in 2003, and that was using Traveller. I've been collecting since about 1992-3.

I may start a d6 mini-campaign if my group gets a few more players, but I may need help starting up.

RemyLeBeau
21 January 2005, 10:28 AM
I started about 6 months ago, due to the prodding of a couple buddies.

All I've ever played is SWRPG

The coolness... unbearable...