PDA

View Full Version : AotC Soundtrack thoughts! Warning - potential spoilers!

Tony J Case, Super Genius
27 March 2002, 12:04 PM
I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned that the soundtrack is out and about on the net. I managed to get them all last night (the 14th track had a glitch on it tho - very annoying), Grokster is your friend. And a quick note - yes it's piracy and yes piracy is BAD. But I fully intend to buy the disc when it comes out. So I think of this as more of a preview copy than anything.

But enough of that! you want to know about the music, don't you? Well, allow your resident super genius to share his thoughts. First, the score just blows me away! Heads and shoulders above the rather run of the mill Phantom Menace soundtrack. The E1 score was OK - but nothing to hold a candle to the greatness of the previous Star Wars work. That, however all changes here. It moves from introspective and brooding to in-your-face evil in the blink of an eye. Powerful and yet subdued. Hardly bombastic like one might expect from a Williams Star Wars score.

The Anakin/Padme love theme - you know, normally I'm just not down with love themes. With one notable exception (Casablanca, if you must know) they just never really work for me. But this time, I'm caught hook line and sinker. Across the Stars holds such power and subtlety it's almost the highlight of the soundtrack. Almost, but not quite.

No, that honor goes to track 13 (title deleted to avoid spoilers). The quietly sinister undertones of the confrontation blending into the most evil and powerful theme in the Star Wars saga then rolling onto the Love theme played with just a hint of desperation and pain. I *DESPERATELY* want to know what's going on in the movie behind that track. Well, in short I want the movie to come out now, damnit.

Ah well - 50 more days my friends.

Track 4, with everyone's favorite muppet also rocks. It manages to impart the power and wisdom of the Master and yet still has the slight edge of fun that is Yoda.

Old friends appear again, musically that is. The centerpiece of E1 shows up briefly smoothly merged with the Force Theme. Quite unexpected this was - but damn I almost cried. The Trade Federation theme also shows up towards the end of a piece - really making you wonder what's going on here. And then in the Tusken Camp, we start to hear the cracks in Anakin leading to his downfall.

The only complaint? There's no 20Th Century Fox theme at the beginning of the disc. That's an easy enough fix, tho - with a copy and paste job from one of the older soundtracks.

So much of this soundtrack is pure gold - frantic-ness of Zam's theme, the intensely mechanical On The Conveyor Belt, the tension in the love theme during the Meadow Picnic. Even the slow bits - bits of the soundtrack I normally skip right over - hold power over me. If the movie is half as good as the score, we're in for one helluva ride.

The final word - the Force is strong with this soundtrack. Color me officially excited about the movie. The middle of May cant get here soon enough for me. . .

>>EDIT: Whoops silly me. One of the tracks was miss-numbered. Fixed now.<<<

DirkGreystoke
27 March 2002, 09:43 PM
Cool, thanks Tony. I had no idea the soundtrack was out. I will have to look for it tomorrow. Although I don't know it I could bear to hear it before seeing the movie.

dgswensen
27 March 2002, 10:35 PM
Man, what are you doing to me? I'm broke -- I can't afford to go out and buy this! And now you have to bust with this great review... must... acquire...

Why must you torment me, Case?

Moridin
27 March 2002, 10:58 PM
Tony, I have to agree. I got to listen to it, and I think it's fantastic. I'm totally spoiled, but I won't give anything away here. I think the soundtrack is excellent, but overall more subtle and foreboding than Episode I.

Across the Stars is so....classical, yet almost doomed sounding. Like a tragic love story. And track 13....man, when the Imperial March kicked in, I think I peed my pants.

This soundtrack rocks. I can't wait till April 23rd to get my own, official, non-illegal copy.

Bjorn
29 March 2002, 08:28 AM
I've been to about five different stores looking for the Attack of the Clones soundtrack & couldn't find it. What store did you guys find it at?

Thanks,
Bjorn the Stout

8 April 2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Bjorn
I've been to about five different stores looking for the Attack of the Clones soundtrack & couldn't find it. What store did you guys find it at?

Store? You mean people still buy music these days?

Bjorn
8 April 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tony J Case, Super Genius

Store? You mean people still buy music these days?

LOL! Believe it or not, some people still do. In fact, I was in one of those music stores this weekend.

By the way, I found out that the Soundtrack is due to be released at the end of this month, around April 29.

Bjorn

Rigil Kent
10 April 2002, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Tony! I didn't have Grokster but went ahead and downloaded it for this very reason. I've not been able to get the entire soundtrack, but what I've heard so far rules! I dig that 13th track! April 29 cannot get here soon enough!

Sabre
11 April 2002, 12:07 PM
Episode 2 already has a second redeeming feature. The first was its trailer. The second is its sound track. At least I know that if the movie is bad I can close my eyes filter out the dialogue and just listen to a few good John Williams pieces in theatre quality surround sound.

Fred Getce
11 April 2002, 01:05 PM
AFAIK there are only 13 tracks.

My favorite is track 10. In the middle we hear the familar Force theme we have heard in all four movies so far, at one point or another, but it seems more powerful than before. I get a deep, noble, majestic lump in my throat. I picture a Jedi with tears of pain, joy, love, and sorrow trailing down his or her face as they stare at a new dawn rising on some long forgotten planet after some major battle where the light won but at great cost.

It than jumps right into a small sample of Duel of the Fates that makes me want to get up and move. FAST! Like someone has just opened up a big F****** can of whoop ass and not even heaven or hell (or more accurately the Lightside or the Darkside of the Force) can save the poor slob who is at the end if that lightsabre.

This sound track has won next year at the academy awards.

I downloaded it from Kazaa.

Dark72Jedi
22 April 2002, 02:22 PM
This thing is great8o John Williams has a certain style which wasn't used too well in Ep I, but I think Harry Potter (another great soundtrack) got his juices flowing for this one. If the soundtrack is any indication there will not be any slow points in this movie except for the love stuff.

The bonus track is called The Conveyor Belt, hence number 14

24 April 2002, 10:07 AM
As I understand it, you can only get the 14th track from discs at Wallmart (or perhaps it was Target - one of those two. The other one had an exclusive screen saver on the disc).

My thoughts - I think this multiple release editions are crap. Four version of the cover and two exclusive versions - way to try and suck the money out of the wallet of the public. And the thing is - you *KNOW* that the double disc set is coming next year.

Yup, thanks for screwing the fans.

Donovan Morningfire
30 April 2002, 01:03 PM
Well, just bought the Ep2 soundtrack today from my local Wally-World (aka Wal*Mart), and am listening to it as I post. It must be Target that has the version with the bonus track, since the ones I saw all advertised the free screen saver.

Haven't gotten all the way through yet, but I am likin' what I'm hearin' :) May 16th can't get here soon enough.

And yeah, we likely will see a double disc version sometime next year. And you know what? We'll probably buy it anyways.

Dan Stack
30 April 2002, 01:24 PM
Been absorbing it for a week now. It is fantastic. I can't wait to see this movie. Random notes...

The Love Theme has a haunting doomed feel to it - not sure if it is cause we know all doesn't end well for Anakin or not, but it works.

The Phantom Menace had little hints of the Imperial March, but this time it comes out and shakes you - no mistaking it here. And the music that immediately follows it gives me a chill.

Slowly getting used to the electric guitar riff. :D