PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Dream

Nova Spice
27 March 2002, 01:09 PM
Just picked up my copy of Rebel Dream today and am already half-way through it. Looks to me like the Rebel Alliance may be making a comeback, but we'll have to wait and see. And for you who mentioned where the Lusankya was, well let's just say that it returns in Rebel Dream.
I'll post more after I finish the novel. By the way, so far it has been an excellent read!

Jedi Master Antilles
29 March 2002, 02:48 PM
yeah so far its lookin like a pretty good book...hopefully it stays good.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
30 March 2002, 07:52 PM
Wow, finished it last night and it was great. Excellent cliffhanger ending. I just think that the Wraith's presence could have been better explained. A little background on what the unit had been doing in the almost 3 years that this conflict has been going on would have been nice.

Nova Spice
30 March 2002, 10:15 PM
Well, actually, the Wraiths presence will be very big in Rebel Stand considering that Kell Tainer, Face Loran, and Elassar Targon are with Luke, Mara, and Tahiri on their covert mission. I look for them to grow towards the end of the NJO. By the way, we saw Kell, Piggy, Face, and Elassar, but where was Shalla,Dia, Runt, and Tyria? Tyria was mentioned in passing as Kell's wife, but still I would have liked to have seen her....
I personally enjoyed Operation: Emperor's Hammer, brilliant thinking by Wedge and Tycho there! And speaking of those two, where the heck are Hobbie and Janson?
The book was good though and I was pleased to see Jaina's "choice" be Jag. Jag is one cool character with a VERY cool name. B)

Rouge8
31 March 2002, 11:03 AM
She DID???? Finally, more Chiss! Yes! The Empire will make a comeback with the Chiss I hope.

Moridin
31 March 2002, 10:10 PM
I really liked that they made Tyria Sarkin a Jedi Knight after she learned to discipline herself. Totally cool.

Nazgul
1 April 2002, 11:43 AM
Good book. Although I'm not a Lando person, I'd have to admit they did a really good job on his character in this book. The beginning with his droids running off screaming "We are machines! We are greater than the Yuuzhan Vong!" was great! Jaina made a good choice, :)

Yeah, and the New Republic finally learned what a Star Destroyer was for... It only took them how many years? :D

It was also nice to see Han back to his old scoundrel self, :)

Cordova Bossk
1 April 2002, 01:02 PM
quote:
It was also nice to see Han back to his old scoundrel self:D

O ya!!
I hate depressed Han!!

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 April 2002, 01:49 PM
I changed my signature because I liked what Wedge and Tycho said so much.

Now, it would be the 5th Battle of Borleias right?

1 - Rogues
2 - Rogues
3 - YV defeating NR
4 - NR defeating YV
5 - YV getting their butt handed to them by the Lusankya
6 - Operation Emperor's Hammer

Nova Spice
2 April 2002, 07:38 PM
Now its high-time for the Inner Circle to contact Pellaeon and begin to retake the Core Worlds, one by one starting with Coruscant! Then on to Bilbringi! On to Reecee! On to Duro! At least Borleias is safe.....relatively...as safe as a planet can be when protected by Wedge Antilles, Rogue Squadron, the Wraiths, Luke Skywalker, and the Lusankya!
But seriously, here is a question that will come down to haunt the Rebel All.....err the New Republic. Did anyone else get the feeling that the so-called Advisory Council was collaborating with the Vong? I mean Pwoe and gang could very well be the downfall of the rest of the galaxy....I really hate that Quarren! Heck, Fey'lya seemed like an angel from Iego compared to that squid-faced traitor! :mad:

wolverine
3 April 2002, 10:50 AM
True. We already know one of them was a deifinate collabarator. Could be many others were (or atleast to leftist to lift an arm to help)..

Rouge8
3 April 2002, 06:59 PM
In my opinion any Reb i meant New republic senator:rolleyes: that doesn't like the Jedi or the EMPIRE is a collaberating traitor!!!!! Besides, they'll need Pelleaon and Jag Fell and the Chiis and the Jedi and the Military and Smugglers to get back Coruscant (in other words they need everyone). Starting with Coruscant? Not:rolleyes:. They need Duro since well the Vong are defending Coruscant.

wolverine
7 April 2002, 08:21 AM
Just finnished it (2 hours ago). Loved it....

Especially the emperors hammer maneuver.

Apocalypse
7 April 2002, 07:08 PM
I finished the book a few days ago, and I thought it was pretty good. The arrival of the Lusankya was really cool, and the emperor's hammer was too. I also liked Kyp's statement that he was stronger than Luke. Its something I hadn't really thought about, but do you suppose he is right?

Dan Kyrinov
7 April 2002, 07:58 PM
Skywalkers are pretty strong, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kyp was a little better than Luke in raw force talent. The best reference I can think of is Jedi Search, where Luke finds that scanner that determines if people are Force-sensitive or not. Kyp has a red aura on that machine, everyone else tested had a blue aura. This could be just foreshadowing (same as red/blue lightsaber symbolisms) but it also implies Kyp's strength, and atop that, the quirky reflex test they do in that book produces the most results in Kyp. So Kyp may be right, he may be stronger.

I think Rebel Dream is an excellent book, probably the best of the paperbacks. I will be anxiously awaiting Rebel Stand in August.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
8 April 2002, 12:31 AM
May/June, Dan. Rebel Stand comes out in May/June. Don't scare me like that, I have to know what happens to the group going to you all who have read it know where.

Traitor then comes out in August with Destiny's Way in November.

fury
8 April 2002, 06:22 AM
I have no clue where I read this (maybe Gundark's Fantastic Tech?) but there was a Force scanner that showed blue for Light Force talent and red for Dark Side skills.

Prolly just another scanner than what Luke had though. Right?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
8 April 2002, 10:16 AM
I know that in the Thrawn Trilogy Luke and Wedge came across a scanner for Force Powers but I just thought that it picked up on any Force ability and didn't change color due to if the person used the Dark Side or not.

Dan Kyrinov
10 April 2002, 08:21 PM
Thanks for setting me straight on book release schedule, I was told by two independent sources it was August, but after your post I looked it up on a website. I'm glad to hear it's earlier than August!

Jedi Search is the book in which Wedge, working as a construction supervisor, spots this scanner.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
10 April 2002, 09:38 PM
That's right it's in the Jedi Academy Triology, Thanks Dan

BrianDavion
11 April 2002, 07:31 AM
as for kyp being stronger then luke? thats BULL in my opinion, he just belives that cause of some natural arrogance. fact is NO ONE should be stronger then a skywalker.. not kyp, note Palpy.. not even YODA

madpoet
11 April 2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
as for kyp being stronger then luke? thats BULL in my opinion, he just belives that cause of some natural arrogance. fact is NO ONE should be stronger then a skywalker.. not kyp, note Palpy.. not even YODA

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this point. It's entirely possible that Kyp is stronger than Luke. Your dedication to the Skywalker name is admirable, but Luke is far from the most powerful Force user ever. His destiny is what made him important, not his power in the Force.

Luke is strong, but there are plenty stronger. The same goes for Anakin/Vader.

wolverine
16 April 2002, 03:10 AM
Maybe just stronger in raw tallent. Once he get's trained, it will go down to less than lukes....

Dan Kyrinov
16 April 2002, 08:44 PM
If you look at AaronAllston.com, Mr. Allston's Rebel Dream faq addresses this comment, and I quote:

Q. Why Did You Say That Kyp Durron Was Stronger In The Force Than Luke Skywalker?
A. I didn't. Kyp believes that he is.

Sounds like he's leaving the doors open for speculation. And hey, while you're getting the faqs, go to his pictures page. The Wraith Squadron pictures are stunningly good.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
16 April 2002, 09:08 PM
That's what I thought Dan.

So what Kyp said was true; from a certain point of view. His own.

Tonda
2 May 2002, 12:43 PM
I thought that when Luke used that paddle on Kyp, that it was red because Kyp was turning to the darkside. Either way, he may be stronger then Skywalker but he doesn't have the same control as Luke. He has more Raw Power but Luke has refined and honed his power.

Grim Fantango
2 May 2002, 03:34 PM
Ok, I'm going to settle this, Kyp IS more powerful than Luke where the raw force is concerned, it says in the Jedi Academy Trilogy that kyp IS stronger in the force, Luke was extremly happy when Kpy came to the Academy because of his talents, abilitys, AND STRENGTH IN THE FORCE, I'm not saying he's as strong as Anakin/Vader, but he is stronger than Luke, as demonstrated in Rebel Dream When he did the trick with the basals' black hole, when Luke tried it, it almost killed him, Kyp was just "really drained", see the difference?

But i do agree that this doesn't mean he has as much control over the force, as a case in point, Corran masteres a skill that almost nobody could touch, i.e. projection, this is a very hard skill to use and requires lotsa training, and a healthy dose of the proper kind of Force power, and he managed to fool everybody in the jedi academy trilogy without even trying to do it, everybody meaning all Lukes students and even Luke at the time.

And when you thinmk of this, remember that the Jedi Academy series came out before we were told Anakin was the strongest ever, so thats why there is some confusion as to between Luke and Kyp who should be stronger and who actually is...

Dan Kyrinov
4 May 2002, 05:46 AM
You may be on to something there, Grim, Tonda. Maybe it's a control issue as opposed to objective power. I still wonder about the force-detector machine, though. Red is representative of energy or power, but in Star Wars, it also is a darkside indicator. But when Luke first tried Kyp out, Kyp was a recently freed prisoner from Kessel, who had been too busy surviving to turn to the darkside. Was KJA foreshadowing? Was Kyp naturally better at the dark side? Or is he just implying Kyp has a lot of power? (Trying to look into the mind of Kevin Anderson is giving me a headache!)

EmprorsHand03
4 May 2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Grim Fantango
Ok, I'm going to settle this, Kyp IS more powerful than Luke where the raw force is concerned, it says in the Jedi Academy Trilogy that kyp IS stronger in the force, Luke was extremly happy when Kpy came to the Academy because of his talents, abilitys, AND STRENGTH IN THE FORCE, I'm not saying he's as strong as Anakin/Vader, but he is stronger than Luke, as demonstrated in Rebel Dream When he did the trick with the basals' black hole, when Luke tried it, it almost killed him, Kyp was just "really drained", see the difference?

Luke didn't almost die when he did the dovin basal trick on Dantooine, however, he did pass out. Kyp didn't pass out but he was really tired and he was barely hanging on to consciousness. Did everyone else miss the biggest news in the book though, Jaina and Jag. I don't know about y'all but I'm really happy that Jag is there to support Jaina in her losses. It seems to me that if it weren't for Jag, Jaina, would have been lost to the dark side.

Grim Fantango
4 May 2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by EmprorsHand03

Luke didn't almost die when he did the dovin basal trick on Dantooine.

I was speakin metaforically. Luke, First Jedi Master of the new order, was knocked out, shows sever strain on conciousness and power, the fact is, it coulda killed him, not sayin it did, but thats still as close as I've ever heard a Jedi come to unintentional suicide...

Amgine
11 May 2002, 10:29 PM
... laugh as hard as me, when Han said what he said to Leia? Should be in my sig.

Superdog
12 May 2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Amgine
... laugh as hard as me, when Han said what he said to Leia? Should be in my sig.

What was that? I don't remember. (read so many books lately) What'd he say?:?

Rouge8
12 May 2002, 03:17 PM
It's in his signature. I agree that is funny. Why didn't he just shoot kyp? I hate that fool.

Armadious
12 May 2002, 07:26 PM
This book was the most enjoyable for me so far of the series.

Back on to the Luke/Kyp more powerful. First off I have always found that anything found in one of KJA's SW books needs to be taken with several grains of salt. Or erased from the page. :D

Now on to the real thoughts on the matter. If I remember correctly Anakin Skywalker has greatest force potential ever. If he was concived by the force I think that we all should give him that...

Anakin is Lukes father, now that probably means that Luke is going to get most if not all of his fathers potential for force power. Unless Kyp was concived by the force (or his father/ mother was) then I do not see how he could be as powerful. This might or might not be mentioned in EP3.

There is more to keep in mind though, The Emperor was sacred of him personaly. To me this means that he is powerful enough to take on the Emperror, (the highly trained emperror I might add) perhaps taken on Vader as well.

Now for me that is enough -until GL comes out and says Kyp is stronger then Luke, for me he isn't.

Aaron B'Aviv
15 May 2002, 03:01 PM
Re: Pwoe and the rest of the New Republic Inner Council.

No, they're not Vong collaborators. Are they traitors to the New Republic, though? Very likely. They abandoned Wedge on Borleias in the hope that he would delay the Vong long enough to allow them to shore up the defenses of their homeworlds. They willingly sacrificed (or so they thought) a large fraction of the New Republic Navy to buy time for their own somewhat selfish plans, placing their own worlds above other New Republic worlds. On the other hand, it's not as if they should have abandoned their homeworlds, either. Their actions aren't justified, but they're not evil, and they didn't help the Vong.

Re: Jaina and Jag

I agree, this was very cool. I'm just curious about how Zekk will take it.

Re: Jag and Wedge

This is an amazing relationship as well. Though Wedge never knew Jag, he's openly and willingly accepted him as a part of his family. I'm still curious about Syal Antilles Fel/ Wynssa Starflare. I've not seen much mention of her yet. Any ideas about what happened to her? I can't wait for Wedge to finally see her again.

I, too, look forward eagerly to Rebel Stand. I, too, look forward to the real return of the Wraiths that should happen.

But I also look forward to the return of General Bel Iblis, widely considered the New Republic's greatest tactician, to the forefront of the series. Wedge is great, mind you, but I can't wait to see Garm Bel Iblis kicking serious Vong @!$

EmprorsHand03
16 May 2002, 03:24 PM
No, they're not Vong collaborators. Are they traitors to the New Republic, though? Very likely. They abandoned Wedge on Borleias in the hope that he would delay the Vong long enough to allow them to shore up the defenses of their homeworlds. They willingly sacrificed (or so they thought) a large fraction of the New Republic Navy to buy time for their own somewhat selfish plans, placing their own worlds above other New Republic worlds. On the other hand, it's not as if they should have abandoned their homeworlds, either. Their actions aren't justified, but they're not evil, and they didn't help the Vong.

No, they are not Vong collaborators, but as Wedge said they are willing to sell out the rest of the New Republic, for their OWN safety, not the safety of their home world. Pwoe and the rest of the Inner Council care only for their own personal gain, not the welfare of the citizens of the New Republic. That DOES make them traitors.

Zekk is of course hurt that Jaina doesn't feel what he probably feels for her, but they don't make that good of a match for her any ways.

As far as I'm concerned on the Syal issue she is very safe in Chiss space, probably tending to womanly things (no offense ladies), since her holo career is effectively over. It would be nice to see that brother/sister pair reunited though. However, I couldn't see that happening until the war with the Vong is over, and that could take a long time.:raised:

Nova Spice
16 May 2002, 04:21 PM
Considering that half the freakin galaxy is now in Vong hands, I would have to say that it will take years and years to retake what was lost and perhaps centuries to repair the damage done....millennia to cure the psycholoical pain done by the Vong.......
I truly hope to see the re-emergence of the shipbuilding programs and the retaking of vital worlds...maybe Duro or Rodia in the near future to regain some sort of moral. The retaking and defense of Borleias was just what the New Republic ( or Rebel Alliance) needed.
Maybe even Dash Rendar or Boba Fett can help out in those areas too! :D

Grim Fantango
16 May 2002, 06:50 PM
The only way to win is to break the spirit of the vong, kill an enemy, and many will rise up to avenge him, break an enemy and return him to his people, and many will fear what will happen if they try to avenge him. Therefore, the way to beat an enemy is to scare them to their core, make their children shiver whenever they here the word infidels, make the shamed ones feel as good as, or superior to, the warriors, preists, and workers. And most importantly, kill them at every chance you get, kill each one, leave no one left alive on a world ship, kill everythiong except the shamed ones, let the vong know that they have met an enemy more ruthless than they could ever hope to be.....Make them SUFFER for what they've done...

Sorry if this was a little over the top, but it is psycological warfare

wolverine
17 May 2002, 03:15 AM
3 words..

BASE
DELTA
ZERO!

Use the lusyanka and if any could be found, a torp sphere or 2. Bio chemical agents, nuclear agents.... What ever it took.

EmprorsHand03
17 May 2002, 08:08 PM
Maybe even Dash Rendar or Boba Fett can help out in those areas too!

Those two won't come out unless somebody is fronting a bill. Besides since the whole galaxy thinks that Dash is dead no one would really believe it is him. He might also have retired by now who knows where he is.

The only way to win is to break the spirit of the vong, kill an enemy, and many will rise up to avenge him, break an enemy and return him to his people, and many will fear what will happen if they try to avenge him. Therefore, the way to beat an enemy is to scare them to their core, make their children shiver whenever they here the word infidels, make the shamed ones feel as good as, or superior to, the warriors, preists, and workers. And most importantly, kill them at every chance you get, kill each one, leave no one left alive on a world ship, kill everythiong except the shamed ones, let the vong know that they have met an enemy more ruthless than they could ever hope to be.....Make them SUFFER for what they've done...

3 words..

BASE
DELTA
ZERO!

Use the lusyanka and if any could be found, a torp sphere or 2. Bio chemical agents, nuclear agents.... What ever it took.

Umm, wolverine what in the world is base delta zero (just curious). You know that the New Republic (or Rebel Alliance, or whatever they are going to call themselves) would never go for your strategies no matter how perfect they seem. They are outside of their morals. Palpy (bless his soul), if he were still alive wouldn't bat an eye about it.

Also, does anyone know the exact release date for Rebel Stand.

wolverine
18 May 2002, 04:52 AM
Its from the Imperial source book. Basically going to the planet/area, and eradicating all life (plant and animal included) there, then ensuring nothing more can survive there by flash frying the top 3 feet (or so) of soil. Basically what they already did with the orbital bombardment, just on a bigger scale.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
18 May 2002, 09:13 AM
Rebel Stand is out on the 28th of this month.

Aaron B'Aviv
19 May 2002, 10:17 AM
Wolverine, anyone who would advocate going Base Delta Zero on a planet is a sicko. The New Republic will never stoop to that level, at least as long as people like Wedge and Bel Iblis continue to have some influence with the military.

Base Delta Zero, for the uninformed, is a euphemism for what the Empire did to Alderaan and Caamas.

Superdog
19 May 2002, 10:26 AM
Espcially since it is THEIR galaxy their fighting over, they want to be able to use the planets when they win. Pyrric Victory of that magnitude is hardly a victory.

wolverine
19 May 2002, 11:30 AM
Appologies if anyone thought i was sick and twistred for saying they should do it, but unfortunatly, tey might have to..

Reason 1)As wedge said, they have gotten too used to being hit by the new republic, and decided to go "imperial" with the emperor's hammer move. In a way, that was already a BDZ of the area AROUND their base.

Reason 2)If the vong started seeing the ammount of sheite they would loose, when several of the planet's they took over, maybe they might decide to get the heck out of dodge...?!??

Reason 3)No disrespect to anyone, but with the ammount of death, and destruction, i seriously don't see a need for some planets now. There has been a significant reduction in the population, to the point where one or 2 planet's getting BDZ'ed wouldn't make much of a difference to population staging......

Just some thoughts, and again, i am loiking at it from a pragmatic point of view...

EmprorsHand03
20 May 2002, 11:03 AM
I thought that the Imperial strategy that Wedge used was a one time thing. They used it because it was something that the Yuuzhan Vong had never seen before. Don't think for a minute that Czulkang Lah (if you didn't know that is Warmaster Tsavong Lah's father) will be fooled by that same trick twice. There isn't much to Imperial strategy besides sheer force of numbers and intimidation anyways, unless you're a Grand Admiral.:raised: