PDA

View Full Version : Resolving a conundrum.

Ash DuQuennes
28 March 2002, 03:42 PM
For those who have been around the SW RPG universe for a while, and maybe those new to it, there is an inconsistency concerning the Super Star Destroyer.

The Stats/Capsule written up by WEG in the Imperial Source Book listed the length of the SSD as 8 km. I'll be the first to admit that when I read it originally, I said, "Okay," and never gave it a second thought.

About three years back, I stumbled across Curtis Saxton'sStar Wars Technical Commentaries, (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/) and read his take on the Super Star Destroyer. (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html)

Now, make of it what you will, but it has caused much gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, arm waving, heated verbiage and general hand wringing amongst many people. For what it's worth, I agree with Dr. Saxton, and say (for purposes of my games) that the SSD is at least 16 km long. Hard to dispute fairly blatant eyeball-evidence like that.

But I thought about it long and hard: going from 1600 m for the two Imperial-class cruisers up to the 16,000 m+ SSD seemed to me to be quite a jump. So I kept the 8 km ship as well, and toned it down to approximately half the armament of the SSD's given stats, in the same general configuration.

I also introduced a 3,200 m "Battleship", which in my game was the father of the 8 km "Dreadnaught," and the genesis of the idea to research the mega-construction techniques that spawned the Death Star, and spun-off into the 16 km SSD, which I classified as a "Super Dreadnaught," with props to David Weber and his "Honor" series.

If people are interested, I will post the stats to the requested ships in the appropriate forums. Please indicate whether d6 or d20 is requested.

If not...well, you didn't have to read the whole post, ya know.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
28 March 2002, 03:55 PM
You already went to the lengths of posting that much above, why not come full circle ... and post the stats for both d6 & d20 parties :)

Lokar
28 March 2002, 04:22 PM
I would like to those stats as well.

Donovan Morningfire
29 March 2002, 06:35 AM
I'd be interested in seeing those stats as well, either version. (I play d20, but know d6 well enough to convert 'em.)

Tramp
29 March 2002, 11:48 AM
Jd Wiker once mentioned in an article in one of the SWGamers that the 8KM Super Star Destroyer was a "Chronic Typo" that just doesn't seem to want to go away, and should be, in fact, 16km not 8km.

Ash DuQuennes
29 March 2002, 12:02 PM
Tramp: I'd heard that, too, but not until recently. If you read the capsules for the ships as I have designed them, both the 8 km and 16 km versions make sense as separate classes of vessels.

Generally to all (so far): on the advice of the mods, I'll be posting the stats for the respective versions (d6/d20) in their respective forums.