PDA

View Full Version : Top X ways for a player to avoid their GM from killing them.

Jedi_Silent_Bob
28 March 2002, 06:45 PM
Good ol' JSB had a great idea. After talking with an ol' buddy of mine from back in the day.. like.. 90's style... and after reading post after post of 'GMs' having issue after Issue with their players.. and vice versa..

JSB decided to give you a few things to do to keep the game fun, moving.. and you alive.

I was a GM for the better part of 8 years... now I'm on the other side of the die.. and though.. I can drive my GM nuts.. and the other players with my insane cut throat characters... I think I have a few good tips to keeping nicey nicey.

1. Don't rule-monger. Granted their are rules in the Corebook and various other mags and books.. which say you can do X, Y, and Z. But sometimes X, Y or Z could kill the moment of the scene. If the GM says 'no...' and it's not going to get you killed or in a very bad spot.. GO WITH IT.

2. When in doubt, laugh. My first time playing with my new group. They had me make a new char. Think him out. Take my time. Etc. ...He died in two hours. You know what though? It was FUNNY! Why? Because that's the point of RP. Laugh at the poor guy if he gets blown away in a horribly outmatched battle. There is no point to getting Angry. It'll kill your fun.

3. WORK WITH YOUR GM. You want something that's not in the book? Don't pout. Create it. Your GM can either be your best friend or your worst enemy in Role Playing. Trust me, as a few of my old gamers learned.. GMs are better friends than enemies.

4. See the other 3. After that, your RP should be rather enjoyable.

Now.. for my quick note to other GMs:

*pssst* If a player gets out of hand.. simply buy some honey, feathers, a UCLA banner and a few thumbtacts. And just point at them. They'll have no idea what you mean.. but they'll be afraid. ;)

Now... go play and have fun! NOOOGGGE!

dgswensen
28 March 2002, 09:39 PM
A good player is a joy to have around. Though everyone has their "issues," I have, for the most part, been blessed with a fantastic group of players who hardly ever give me any trouble.

However, on the other side of the coin, there is another way to keep your players happy: let them in on the joke. You mentioned your character dying in two hours. I've killed off PCs before, arbitrarily, but I've let them in on it beforehand. I take them in the other room and say...

"Look. You're the Star Trek redshirt for this scenario. You get violently killed in the first reel, but I'll bring you back as a Borg in Act III. You'll get to whack some security guys and say "Resistance is Futile."

"Cool."

Players love to feel special :) But anyway... those are some great points you made. Heck, at this point I wish I was playing more often (i.e. at all) so I could put them to use. :)

madpoet
29 March 2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by dgswensen
However, on the other side of the coin, there is another way to keep your players happy: let them in on the joke.

Absolutely right. I once had a player who decided to make a character that was a real challenge to play properly. I thought it was a good idea, but unfortunately, it was too much of a challenge for him. (He was a very enthusiastic player, but not the smartest guy you'd ever meet.)

So in an effort to help bail him out, and to add a bit of incentive for the other characters, I let him design a character more suited to his style of play, (big, dumb barbarian) and had his original character horribly killed in such a way that the other characters were properly motivated to seek righteous vengence.

It is always helpful to keep players in the loop about this sort of thing. It keeps everybody happy and let's people have a good time.

FlipDog 2000
29 March 2002, 05:48 AM
I can't cound how many times I have been killed off or "died." Personally I think its funyy when the PC has to pay tons upon tons of credits for cybernetic limbs because they die so much...but the GM rules that they just lost a limb...

BrianDavion
29 March 2002, 06:14 AM
yeah losing limbs sucks one of my PCs wants a double bladed lightsabre... I wanred him in advance "you do realize what happens if you fumble an attack role with that right?":)

Lord Diggori
29 March 2002, 08:57 AM
PC deaths are my forte in both aspects actually :D

I lost 20 plus characters playing Dark Sun (1 per sesion) as a newbie PC and as a veteran GM once killed my whole party cause one character tried to make the jump to lightspeed while inside a planet's gravity ( He rolled a 32 to bypass the safeties, WHAT WOULD YOU DO !?!? ) B)

The best advice I know of is dont get carried away. PC are heroes so ofcourse a cut above the rest but they are not immortal. Not even luck could survive with a tron vac-suit for long. As a GM I give many chances for retries when a critical roll fails but nothing ridiculous.

dgswensen
29 March 2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Lord Diggori
and as a veteran GM once killed my whole party cause one character tried to make the jump to lightspeed while inside a planet's gravity ( He rolled a 32 to bypass the safeties, WHAT WOULD YOU DO !?!? ) B)

If he had rolled that big, I would have let him get away with it just that once! :)

Hey... you asked.

madpoet
29 March 2002, 05:29 PM
I'd have probably made them jump into a dead system and left them stranded on a non-functioning ship to die slowly as life support fades away.

Then again, I've always been a sadistic SOB of a GM.8o

The Admiral
31 March 2002, 10:54 AM
How to keep the GM sweet? Speaking as a GM;

1: Buy the beer.
2: Turn up on time.
3: Give at least 24 hrs warning if you're going to miss a game.

Currently, none of players stick by any of these ideas, consequentlly they're being chased around the sector by every criminal, Imperial corporate entity and bounty hunter in existance.

Ghost In The Holocron
31 March 2002, 11:50 AM
Admiral's 1, 2, 3 are all good. Same goes for this GM. Plus...

4: Say "Thank you"

madpoet
31 March 2002, 12:38 PM
I'd like to add:

#5) Keep focused on the game during the game.

I hate it when my players start rambling on about something during the game. Most of the time it just takes away from the enjoyment of the other players. Now there's no need to be insane about this policy, but the GM's job would be easier if the playes would just stay focused.

The Admiral
31 March 2002, 12:58 PM
Oh, I keep my LARPing swords handy for enforcing that. Nothing ends OT waffling faster than a hearty smack round the head with three feet of gaff-wrapped fibrecore katana.

It does tend to start conversations about why I've just thonked 'em though, so it's a two edged sword, if you'll excuse the pun,,,

Donovan Morningfire
31 March 2002, 06:37 PM
Not sure what number's they'd be, but here goes ...

- Giving the GM free pizza is a sure bet to keep a GM happy. Free soda doesn't hurt either.

- Just remember that no matter how much to the contrary it seems, the GM is your friend, and is just trying to make sure everyone has fun. 94% of the time, he's not out to get you. It's the other 6% you have to watch out for.

- Getting your GM to laugh at in-game humor is a good thing. Perhaps one of the best things (next to free pizza that is).

- Never call the adventure that the GM has spent the entire week working on either stupid or a total waste of time. Such comments lead ot that 6% I warned you about earlier.

- If you have rules questions that aren't immediately important and can't be answered quickly, save them for after the game. Trust me, nothing gets a GM more ticked than being dragged into a superfluous rules debate just as the party is getting ready to throw down with the major villain.

- Boppy swords/socks are good. Automatic weapons are better (but tend to lead to a shortage of players if not used with the utmost discretion) :D

leighangelj
5 April 2002, 04:31 AM
one of my favorite things about gming is the comic relief my pc come up with.
one of my pet peeves is when a pc insists on trying to do something i just told them they canīt
however i think the best thing about playing is comic relief for example one time the only reason my GM didnīt kill my character is because he was too busy laughing because I was playing an Ewok and of course an ewok running with a bunch of smugglers is bound to cause some mischief. my gm had planned to have a blaster fight in a bar and one of the other pcīs had gotten upset with something my ewok did and since the ewok had made friends with a wookie at the bar the wookie didnīt like this and went after that pc.
If you were gming what would you do?:raised: