PDA

View Full Version : least favorite star wars moment/scene

khalen penn
30 March 2002, 11:35 AM
OK beings and aliens
your least favorite star wars moment scene what part of the trilogy makes you cringe
what scene what line DO YOU THINK COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER
OR LEFT OUT ALL TOGETHER

ESB
when HAN was frozen ruined ESB for me as an 8year old until ROTJ
i thought they had killed him off
now ESB is for me the best of the 4 so far

Reverend Strone
31 March 2002, 05:23 PM
First off, a prediction- If this thread takes off, I bet it ends up getting shifted to the Rants section, but here we go-

The few Sw scenes that still make me cringe-

> The kids in Ep 1 hanging around Anakin's podracer.

> Any scene in which Boss Nass speaks.

> The 3 stooges moment with the three pit droids in Ep 1.

> The dreadful tail-stepping-on sequence in the special ed SW.

Soontide
31 March 2002, 07:59 PM
I've heard rumors that lucas originally wanted to use wookies for this but the cost of all of those wookie rugs was prohibitive. I think it would have been worth it though. I Hate Ewoks. I like Jar Jar and Boss Nass more than Ewoks.

Bookmaker221
31 March 2002, 08:28 PM
The only scene that ever really bothered me isn't bad, but irks me. In ANH, while Vader is talking to Tarkin in the meeting room, he finishes one line, and then the Vader raises his hand as if emphasising a point, only the line is already over. I realize that James Earl Jones' voice was added in later, but I think they could have worked that out better. Seeing that one movement out of place is the only part which truly breaks the illusion for me, and reminds me that its only a movie. And I hate that bit for it.

Nerpine the Verpine
1 April 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Bookmaker221
The only scene that ever really bothered me isn't bad, but irks me. In ANH, while Vader is talking to Tarkin in the meeting room, he finishes one line, and then the Vader raises his hand as if emphasising a point, only the line is already over. I realize that James Earl Jones' voice was added in later, but I think they could have worked that out better. Seeing that one movement out of place is the only part which truly breaks the illusion for me, and reminds me that its only a movie. And I hate that bit for it.

I noticed that too, and I had hopes that it would be fixed with the Spec. Ed. I guess they missed that one while they were busy trying to make Greedo shoot first (my least favorite scene).

I also didn't care for Luke whining to Uncle Owen about cleaning the droids in ANH either. Be a man, Luke!

Reverend Strone
1 April 2002, 12:52 PM
In ANH, while Vader is talking to Tarkin in the meeting room, he finishes one line, and then the Vader raises his hand as if emphasising a point, only the line is already over.

Lords. Can't say I ever even noticed. I must pay more attention if something like that skipped past me after so many hundreds of viewings.

BrianDavion
1 April 2002, 02:49 PM
first offff.. greedo shooting first was pretty bad.. that just seemed to lose an element of Han's charcter to appeal to the PC crowd who said Han wasn't a good role model... you wheren't SUPPOSED to admire the man he was, you where supposed to admire the man he came.. I mean, what next rewriting han's bio and saying jabba was after him for dumping a load of roses for his garden instead of the drugs Han was running?!

and of course.. generally any scene with Jar Jar in it was.. less then amgical.. Jar Jar wasn't THAT bad but he just didn't... fit

dgswensen
1 April 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Bookmaker221
The only scene that ever really bothered me isn't bad, but irks me. In ANH, while Vader is talking to Tarkin in the meeting room, he finishes one line, and then the Vader raises his hand as if emphasising a point, only the line is already over. Yeah, I know that scene. I amuse myself by pretending Vader is flipping Moff Tarkin the bird for doubting him.

And my least favorite scene by far -- predictable, but very irritating -- the ol' Greedo shoots first.

Nova Spice
1 April 2002, 07:30 PM
My least favorite scene without a doubt is when Anakin is taking Qui-Gon, Padme, Jar-Jar, and the others to his home when a sandstorm is approaching. His line was very off-key and reminded me that the boy was a poor actor. "Sandstorms are very *long pause* *continuing long pause* very dangerous."
Has ayone else notced that long pause in Anakin's words at that point? That really bothers me bad It sends chill bumps up my spine every time I see him goof that line up!"

Reverend Strone
1 April 2002, 08:32 PM
Yeesh, everytime that kid opens his mouth it's like fingernails on a black-board to me. It didn't bother me so much the first time I saw the film, but with subsequent rewatches I'm finding it harder and harder to make it through the film. Jar Jar be damned- everytime Anakin delivers a line, it sucks my will to live. At least the Gungan was rendered in 3D.

Talonne Hauk
1 April 2002, 08:52 PM
Preach on, Reverend! As I've said in a previous thread, Jar Jar could have been palatable if the movie hadn't been so poor overall. My least favorite scene? Anakin, blowing up the Control Ship... BY ACCIDENT. So very unStar Wars.

madpoet
1 April 2002, 08:54 PM
I'm so torn about how I should answer. There are so many factors to consider... Greedo shooting first jumps into my mind, but then I think of Jar Jar . Thinking about that makes me think of the horrendous little Anakin Skywalker (I know he's just a kid, but don't you think Jake Lloyd could have turned in a better performance?) Of course, who could forget the ultimate evil that is Ewoks ? Not only did they really bring ROTJ down, but they spawned the much hated Ewok Adventure (Yikes!) and of course the vile Ewoks cartoon (I still have nightmares).

What was the worst Star Wars moment? I just can't decide. All I know is, we're fortunate that for all of its faults, the Star Wars series is one of the best things to ever happen to movies, to sci-fi, and (speaking personally) to me.

Reverend Strone
1 April 2002, 11:56 PM
What was the worst Star Wars moment? I just can't decide. All I know is, we're fortunate that for all of its faults, the Star Wars series is one of the best things to ever happen to movies, to sci-fi, and (speaking personally) to me.

Nicely said Madpoet. So that's why they call him that?

madpoet
2 April 2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by revstrone

Nicely said Madpoet. So that's why they call him that?

Sorry. I majored inEnglish Literature and I sometimes get carried away.

:)

Korwin Blade
2 April 2002, 09:27 AM
My least favorite scenes are those in ESB when LUKE is wineing all the time he is with Yoda. Itis the most irritating thing in the movie. :mad:

reliant
2 April 2002, 11:02 AM
Hard to nail down my LEAST favorite moment so here's a short list...

1. The scene with Han stepping on jabba's tail. It annoyed me for several reasons... First off, Jabba would not bother to come on his own to scold Han. Second, the way they did it, it just looked like han jumped up in the air for a minute. And no one is gonna believe that Han would be so stupid as to walk on jabba while a bunch of gun toting lackies are standing around. Give me a break...

2. GREEDO SHOOTING FIRST. E'nough said...

3. Anything with Boss Nass. Remind me when I vote for a leader of my people NOT to vote for the guy with the horrible speech impediment and the slobbering problem. This is not to offend anyone who talks like that or drools like a st. bernard when they talk, so if you fit that catagory, I'm terribly sorry...

4. Anything involving Anakin talking. Was he reading cue cards or something? Sure looked like it... I can just hear the director saying "Once more, WITH FEELING"...

5. The special edition scene with Boba Fett flirting with the dancers. Give me a break! Boba Fett was far to cool for that... Besides if he was around all the dancers would be too scared to coo at him... (and they should be).

6. The cheesy music ending of ROTJ special edition. Maybe I'm a freak, but I liked the Yub Yub song and party at the ewok village better. The CGI statues falling and stuff like that was just overkill... Especially because Corescant didn't fall till later. In the special edition they just made it look like as soon as the death star was destroyed the whole empire just disapeared...

7. 3 words. Jar Jar Binks. Any scene with him farting or doing slapstick stupid things just pissed me off.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
2 April 2002, 11:17 AM
as said above: anakin taking out the trade federation's droid controller ship

c'mon please... experianced naboo fighter pilots are fighting it out with the droid fighters and making runs on the ship... but anakin flies through it without any bother, and blows it up ... well, he blunders doing a "flying through the barnyard chicken coop" style entrance and says "Oops!" then he blows the place up and escapes unscathed... Sorry, the boy ain't that special that he's worth grandstanding....

That just grates against the style from the three original movies: if you parralel anakin to luke -

han , chewie & luke worked as a team, and with leia ...

* luke did not save the day in the cantina, but was saved by ben.
* luke didn't nix greedo before greedo caught up with han.
* luke didn't convinve the imperial storm trooper with jedi mind tricks, ben did.
* luke was not a crack shot in the gun turrets of the falcon
* luke was tricked into getting angry by Vader
* luke lost a hand in a duel

khalen penn
2 April 2002, 04:35 PM
cheers for the replies

i never thought i should probably have put this in the RANTS
SORRY

GREEDO firing at HAN first in the spec edit was annoying
all the times ive watched ANH the VADER hand thing has passed me by
Didnt think the EWOKS would better JAR JAR in the hate stakes

darth maim
2 April 2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Korwin Blade
My least favorite scenes are those in ESB when LUKE is wineing all the time he is with Yoda. Itis the most irritating thing in the movie. :mad:

Luke's a [female dog]

plain and simple... he ALWAYS comes across this way. (EU he's somehow not this way but if you go watch the movies he is always a whiney little girl)

Dr_Worm
2 April 2002, 11:11 PM
I don't know for some reason I just laugh everytime I hear Luke whine "But I was going to the tashi station to pick up som power converters!" It's anoying but I have grown to love it.

Back to the point: I just hate that sappy "I love you.", "I know." repitition in ESB and RoTJ. It just gives me the willies every time I have to watch it.

YECH!

DirkGreystoke
2 April 2002, 11:50 PM
Can I vote for the Holiday Special?

No seriously, this is pretty tough to pin down. I think a lot of you guys are way too harsh though. I mean seriously, Boss Nass does not have a speech impedement...his whole people talk that way. Anakin blew up the TF ship with the Force, just as Luke did the Death Star...or am I misinterpreting the films? It seems to me that Anakin and Luke parallel in roles up to this point. And how could someone hate the Ewoks? But anyway I diverge.

I agree that the Han/Greedo SE scene did not turn out very well. I understand why George wanted to change it, but I think that by working with the existing film he was asking the impossible.

The only other scene that makes me wonder is Leia strangling Jabba on his sail barge. The fact that noone was there to protect him..no bodyguards. But I guess a Jedi is a big distraction.

Reverend Strone
2 April 2002, 11:55 PM
I just hate that sappy "I love you.", "I know." repitition in ESB and RoTJ. It just gives me the willies every time I have to watch it

'Gotta disagree with you there Dr. While in RotJ, I'd concurr, the dialogue is pretty bad, in Empire, I reckon that "I love you"/"I know" is right on the money. It's the payoff after all the cat and mousing that has been going on up till that point in ESB.

Now, if we're talking about RotJ, that's something else. The awful dialogue between our heroes in the Ewok village is pretty gaggy (I recall the entire cinema laughing when I saw the Special Editions), though I wouldn't go so far as to say it was one of my worst SW moments.

I'd take that stuff over Anakin any day.

Oh and madpoet , please, no need to apologise. I was paying you a compliment. Your writing betrays your education.

Bombaatu
3 April 2002, 12:04 AM
1. The ocean scene in TPM - "Hey, it's a big fish! Oh! ANOTHER big fish! Look out - it's a BIG FISH!!! And finally... A REALLY BIG FISH!!!!" *Sheesh!*

2. The Gungun High School Marching Band, aka the end scene of TPM.

3. Greedo shooting first. I'm not rabid about it, it's just annoying.

4. The Jabba scene in the Special Ed. Unlike most people, it's not the tail-stepping that bothers me - it's the dialog repeat (dumping spice at the first sigh of an Imperial cruiser, I'll put a bounty on your head so big yadda-yadda)

5. (probably the biggest overall beef) - the entire "resolution" of TPM and the Trade Federation. The end of that movie would have been so much better with just 4 changes: 1. the T.F. didn't pull out their entire fleet excepting the droid control ship. 2. the control ship isn't blown up by accident/slapstick. 3. the droid army doesn't fall apart - it just looses unit cohesion which gives the Gungun forces a tactical edge, and finally - 4. Palpatine shows up at the head of a Republic battle-fleet and forces the T.F. to stand down.

Reverend Strone
3 April 2002, 12:17 AM
And how about the perfect remedy to the much decried Jabba's tail trample by our beloved Han- make Jabba a hologram.

It would have fit perfectly. Han could have walked through him, it suits Jabba's character not to have been there in person, and even works with Han's line- "Come see me yourself next time. Don't send one of these twerps". What's more, it makes it easier to buy how cocky Han gets with the king of slugs. It always seemed overly familiar to me.

Kaziganthi
3 April 2002, 03:55 AM
1) The Ewoks Defeating Imperial Stormtroopers (ROTJ)
2) Any Scene With Gungans (TPM)
3) Anakin using the Words 'Laser Sword' That Really
Makes Me Cringe. (TPM)

ij thompson
3 April 2002, 08:10 PM
For me, it's that scene in TPM, planning for the battle of Naboo:

"That's why we must not fail to capture the viceroy. Everything depends on it." :raised:

Come on, look alive, girl! What depends on it, exactly? I can't believe this is from the same girl who blew us all away in The Professional!

Oh and by the way, for you Jar Jar haters out there, here's a little bit of humour writing I did when TPM came out - it might give you a chuckle:

http://starwars-rpg.net/elrood-sector/jar_jar.htm

(warning: the language gets a little strong, at times!)

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
4 April 2002, 04:03 PM
A few things to say:
Ewoks, they ain't that bad once you get used to 'em, and I don't think it's totally inconcievable for them to defeat stormtroopes, just look at what they did, pop out and throw stuff, set up traps, etc...guerrila style.

And my least favorite scene is where Anakin blows up the droid ship by accident. Also, the reason I don't think it parralels Luke's deeds is because Luke knew sorta what he was doing, and concentrated heavily on that one shot. Anakin is flying sloppily around space trying to do "good tricks", accidentally crashes in the room containg the power core (which is appears to be in a dokcing bay for some reason), yells "OOPS" and blows it up.

BrianDavion
5 April 2002, 11:58 AM
when Amadala said "everything" depends on the capture of the vicroy it seemed right... EVERYTHING did. the whole plan would be worthless if they didn't.

dgswensen
5 April 2002, 12:07 PM
You know, I've been thinking this topic over, and I think I have to revise my least favorite moment. Greedo shooting first sucks, to be sure, but you can close your eyes for a moment and it's over. There is one scene in Phantom Menace that drives me absolutely crazy.

It's the scene on the Naboo battlefield, when Jar Jar is hiding under the wagon full of the boobahs (however you might spell that). the driver takes off, Jar Jar latches onto the back of the wagon, and the tailgate falls open with this Looney Toons noise: "woooOOOP!!!" Then he goes running down the hill, shrieking, until he's blown through the air and lands on a tank, whereupon he goes "whooOOAAAA!!!!" Then comes the hot-potato with the energy ball, and the "bblbblbblbbl" sound effects straight out of the Smurfs. At this point, my defenses usually crumble and I think, just for a moment, that Star Wars is in the hands of a complete lunatic.

That whole sequence makes me feel like I've stepped into some terrible Tex Avery alternate universe. I keep expecting Tom and Jerry to come out and stick dynamite sticks in Jar Jar's ears, the whole thing is so cartoony and stupid. That scene sets my teeth on edge. And it goes on way too long.

zethzooken
5 April 2002, 01:38 PM
I can sum up all the scences I hate into one sentence.

ANY THING THAT HAD JAR JAR HEAD IN IT!!! :mad:

ij thompson
5 April 2002, 06:03 PM
Sorry, BrianDavion, you misunderstand. Of course "everything depends on it", but my problem with this moment is that Natalie delivers the line like she's placing an order at the Wendy's drive-thru window...

khalen penn
8 April 2002, 06:13 PM
EXCLENT REPLIES

1 more that bothers me slightly liea kissing luke in ANH on the death star before they swing over the shaft
after all she only just met him

reliant
9 April 2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by ij thompson
Sorry, BrianDavion, you misunderstand. Of course "everything depends on it", but my problem with this moment is that Natalie delivers the line like she's placing an order at the Wendy's drive-thru window...

hee hee hee...

Amidala: "I must have a jr bacon cheeseburger and a biggie fries, everything depends on it..."

:D

PapaSith1
10 April 2002, 07:53 PM
my least favorite scene would have to be about every sence with jar jar binks in it :? *quivers in disgust*

Rigil Kent
10 April 2002, 09:57 PM
Although this may be beating a dead horse, here are more short lists per movie:

<b>Episode I:</b> That atrociously bad scene with the kids around the podracer. Ugh! It's like having my tonsils removed with needlenose pliers through my nose!

<b>Episode II:</b> It ain't out yet! :D

<b>Episode III:</b> See EpII

<b>Episode IV:</b> Hmmm. The Greedo shooting first really bugs me and so does the lame Jabba scene. I like the idea of him having been a hologram; that would have been cool. Good idea, revstrone!

<b>Episode V:</b> Not sure if anyone has ever mentioned this but why the heck did George change that frelling ending?! The stupid "Inform my star destroyer of my arrival" stinks on ice! I LOOVVED "Bring my shuttle." Vader sounded honked off.

And another thing, with all the money George put into the SE, why didn't he hire Ian McDiarmand (sp?) to redo the hologram scene? It would have been so much better.

<b>Episode VI:</b> So much to hate.
1. Ewoks.
2. Stupid singing scene
3. Long shot of lame Ewok mourning over lame dead Ewok followed immediately by a scene where a Rebel ship gets fried. No one mourned the pilots!

And whoever disliked the Fett "mackin'" on the dancers, come on! He's "The Fett!" Of course he gets the chicks! :D

Mathis Kharr
18 April 2002, 02:23 AM
I would have to say the intro of Jart Jar if i were qui gon i would have lopped his silly lookin head off

khalen penn
25 April 2002, 04:43 PM
once again thanks for the replies fellow galaxians

i make the scores as

1 annie 8
2 greedo shooting first spec ed 7
3 jar jar 5
4 han walking round jabba spec ed 5
5 ewoks 4
6 boss nass 3
7 kids at pod racer 3
8 luke 3
9 vader and tarkin 2

if im wrong sorry its late here
:o

dgswensen
25 April 2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Mathis Kharr
I would have to say the intro of Jart Jar if i were qui gon i would have lopped his silly lookin head off Qui-Gon earns a DSP... would have put an interesting spin on the whole story, wouldn't it?

Reverend Strone
25 April 2002, 07:22 PM
I would have to say the intro of Jart Jar if i were qui gon i would have lopped his silly lookin head off

Qui-Gon earns a DSP... would have put an interesting spin on the whole story, wouldn't it?

Oh come on. You obviously hand out DSPs way to easy. That's like a public service. Throw in a smack round the ear for that Kitster kid and I reckon Qui-Gonn would be deserving of a humanitarian award.

dgswensen
25 April 2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by revstrone
Oh come on. You obviously hand out DSPs way to easy. That's like a public service. Throw in a smack round the ear for that Kitster kid and I reckon Qui-Gonn would be deserving of a humanitarian award.
Hahah... "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense... never for attack... unless some Gungan is really annoying him."

And I like Kitster. At least he never yells "Yippeee!"