PDA

View Full Version : Njo Spoiled

scourgicus
1 April 2002, 11:38 AM
I was in the bookstore the other day and met up with a fellow SW fan who proceeded to unveil lots of NJO spoilers on me before I could tell him to stop.

So, my thought is this - if Anakin really dies, Luke and Jaina fall to the Dark Side...then the NJO is the stupidest thing since Dark Empire. Should I even bother to waste my time?

Nazgul
1 April 2002, 11:48 AM
Yes, the last couple of books have been pretty good. Since they've already been spoiled, a minor correction: Luke and Jaina don't fall (she's more lost for a while then fallen).

Mathis Kharr
1 April 2002, 12:24 PM
the books are well worth the read, Jaina's trials in the dark are well written unlike dark empire. you will enjoy them.. I know i did

dgswensen
1 April 2002, 03:01 PM
I'm curious to know, why do those events make NJO stupid?

madpoet
1 April 2002, 03:28 PM
Truth be told, those kinds of events are what have made the NJO so exciting for me. I've read just about everything written and the NJO has thrown me more curves than anything else to date.

Nova Spice
1 April 2002, 07:13 PM
Luke doesn't fall to the Dark Side......he just decimates a Vong fleet at Reecee with a Jedi strike force in retaliation.....Jaina becomes more of a Fallen Jedi than a Dark Jedi and unfortunately, Anakin Solo is now one with the Force.....(wow that line combined with the new AotC music "Across the Stars" really makes it sound cool...download the song if you haven't already..it could fit the NJO well as a theme song).

Rouge8
2 April 2002, 06:49 PM
Can you put a link for that download?

scourgicus
5 April 2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by dgswensen
I'm curious to know, why do those events make NJO stupid?

Its the whole "How many times can we make Luke fall to the dark side" bit. I've always maintained that if Vader and Palpatine combined could not cause Luke to fall, Palpy's silly "Learn my secrets to defeat me" bit would've failed miserably. Luke went through the fire on the DS II and came out okay...though with some DSPs to get rid of. I'm glad to hear Luke doesn't fall (again). That would've been lame.

As to the death of Anakin...well, Anakin was my favorite Solo kid. He just seemed really cool. Jacen reminds me, perhaps, a little too much of myself - always over analyzing things - and Anakin was a happy relief. And come on - how can you not love that his name is Anakin B)

There's something else...I've been writing fiction for a long time (19 years or so...?) and I appreciate the level of work that's gone into the Star Wars universe. That level of consistency, and reality, is hard to achieve. As I read the NJO novels (especially AoC) I feel like the authors are throwing it out the window. Its awfully nice for Lucas to let them play in his galaxy, but don't you think this wholesale slaughter of worlds is a bit much? "Roll die20 for which world dies next..." I can understand Ithor, which can probably be healed over several generations (or maybe not), but it sometimes seems a bit overkill. Chewie's death was appropriate and though I was bummed at losing a character I thought had never gotten his fair shake, it felt okay. I don't know about Anakin. It seems like killing a character just so somebody dies. Lucas only killed off one character in EpIV-VI, and he was old anyway. I understand people die in war...but characters are expensive. A lot of hours go into making a believable character. To simply throw them away...

Anyhow, I'm off to pick up Balance Point. We'll see how it goes...

Turn to the light...don't be frightened of the shadows it creates...
- Dream Theater

leighangelj
8 April 2002, 07:09 AM
I have read all of the NJO books through Star by Star and I have to say that along with the x-wing series they´re my favorite books in expanded universe

fury
8 April 2002, 02:21 PM
As to the consistency of writing in the NJO versus the rest of the EU stories, I would have to saw that it is far superior in the simple sense that no one writer has gone out of their way to shape Star Wars in their own personal image.

Personally, I like anything Zahn has done for Star Wars, but let's face it; he spent most of the Spectre/Vision duology trying to explain away the Saturday morning cartoon-ish tales propagated by KJA, among others. He started off with a view of the universe (one which, I at least, favored) and saw it subsequently trashed by a lot of authors. Aside from the Black Fleet and X-Wing series and the occasional one shot, many of those books did more to harm our view of the SW universe than allow it to grow.

I like the NJO. I like the struggle and the sense of desperation that we all seem to forget used to be THE central point of the saga. If I wanted to see Han as a dried up ambassador to Corellia, fat and listless, I suppose I would be with those who abhor the series.

But I'm not, and with the last few books, I can honestly say I eagerly await the release of each new one.

Master_thorin
9 April 2002, 05:20 AM
if that spoiled the whole series for you then i dont know why you are still talking there is still half the series to go and those are not spoiled now are they.:D

reliant
9 April 2002, 05:43 AM
When did luke fall to the dark side? Jaina played around with it, but then came back I know, but I don't remember luke doing anything dark...

which book did this happen in? I've read all the way up to rebel dream with no mention of luke and darkness.

Dan Kyrinov
10 April 2002, 08:17 PM
Luke's fall was detailed not in any NJO book but in Dark Empire, an illustrated novel (translation: big comic book.) It might be worth a look, Luke's policies and ideals stem partially from his encounter with the dark side.

darth maim
10 April 2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Dan Kyrinov
Luke's fall was detailed not in any NJO book but in Dark Empire, an illustrated novel (translation: big comic book.) It might be worth a look, Luke's policies and ideals stem partially from his encounter with the dark side.

Yeah it's worth a look and then put it back because it's crap... Come on Luke helps out the emp... goes to the dark side and at the end is like "my bad" and everyone just accepts this?! Get real... there should be more repurcussions than that even if he did help stop the menace...

Dan Kyrinov
16 April 2002, 08:51 PM
You're right, Luke got off easy in the book, and maybe it's not the best SW literature, but there are plenty of consequences. I can put a name and a face to lots of them. Dolph, the very planet Almania, Kyp, the very system Carida, Gantoris, etc. Luke is pretty sure a lot of his failures stem from his fall, and he mentions this throughout the book series, Bantam and Del Rey. He kind of punishes himself, if you think about it. If you are thinking of picking up Dark Empire for a look, I do agree with Darth Maim. It's not great. Try to borrow it from a friend or library, though, it is worth it for understanding Luke in the EU.