PDA

View Full Version : GM Convention 2: Final thoughts

Matt Richard
3 April 2002, 04:29 PM
It's the long awaited return of the GM Convention!!!!!!:D :D :D

I know, I promised to return in may, but I couldnt wait, plus the fact that there has been a lot of threads that have been similar to GM Convention recently, so I figured that Id make a return so you wouldnt forget it.

DLOS has yet to put up the GM Convention article, but its comin,so be patient.

OK, the topic of this GM Convention is:
Imagine that you are GMing a game for the last time. You want to be a player now, and someone in your group has volunteered to be the GM Elect. Now, for several days, youve given this soon to be GM advice, and now, he asks you to give him just one more tip before its his turn to GM.

In 25 words or less, give a final thought about GMing or tip to a newbie GM. Best advice wins a smilie face:D .

My 25 words or less:
When you see the delight of the players due to a good adventure, you'll realize the time put in was all worth it.

dgswensen
3 April 2002, 05:52 PM
All we have in life are our stories. Tell a good one.

Dr_Worm
3 April 2002, 09:20 PM
You better be nice to my character pal, remeber that sweet blaster I gave you? Yea I thought so.;)

But Really-
Don't restrict your creativity. If the players have fun then cannon be damned. They tell the story, you create the backdrop.

Donovan Morningfire
4 April 2002, 05:30 AM
25 words or less, eh?

No matter how hard you try not to, you are going to make mistakes. Accept it, learn from them, and move on with the story.

Alun
4 April 2002, 10:16 AM
Always bring the GM cookies and soda

DarthMalaryush
4 April 2002, 10:37 AM
My 25

Learn to wing it. They will always do something you did not plan on. Be neutral, and give good rewards. Good Luck.

Nazgul
4 April 2002, 11:12 AM
No matter how prepared you are, players will throw curve-balls. Just go with it. :)

Tony J Case, Super Genius
5 April 2002, 11:16 PM
25 words huh?

How about: "There is only one rule to any game system: The GM is always right."

Hey look, I've got a couple words left over. How about: "Frumious Bandersnatch. Eggplant. Sasquach. Squeedunk. Explosive Decompression."

Emperor Xanderich II
6 April 2002, 11:46 AM
I think this is more suited to C&M!

Master_thorin
6 April 2002, 05:48 PM
Always bring the GM 3 whole chickens and a coke:D

Rouge8
6 April 2002, 05:52 PM
The GM cannot cheat. Players will screw you up.

Grimace
7 April 2002, 12:49 PM
"Put yourself in the situation. Assume your players know nothing. Keep the game moving. Don't let players lose interest. And always try to have fun!"

(And that's only 25 words :D)

reliant
10 April 2002, 07:45 AM
Watch your players faces. If they look confused, scared, angry, or any other emotion you're doing a good job. If not, you're doing something wrong.

---

I think that there is alot more to it than that, but there are my 25 words...

Sherman Shipyards
22 April 2002, 11:19 AM
The Gm is god. The sky is purple if he saids so. But if a Gm abuses his power he plays alone. - 22 words.

Sherman Shipyards

Bombaatu
22 April 2002, 11:33 AM
The PCs and story are paramount - all else is secondary. Be fair but firm. If it's not fun, it's not worth it - always have fun!

Nova Spice
27 April 2002, 02:16 PM
"Well, its my turn to give you a headache for once. Keep the game moving, keep the story expanding."

19 words......I hope that one day I can say those 18 words and play the game...I've never really played the game...I've always GMed, maybe I'll get a chance to one day......:(

Lord Diggori
30 April 2002, 01:14 AM
Treat the players like stars
and they'll make you the director.
Good GMs tell stories to them.
The best GMs create stories WITH them.

Kinda hiaku-like aint it?

VixenofVenus
3 May 2002, 01:08 PM
What if I can't count to 25?

Oh well .... uhm .... words of wisdom ....

Uh ... Always bring the GM a cold Mt. Dew ... and he will smile on your character that session. ;)

horn1974
5 May 2002, 01:29 AM
"dont give in to the darkside" if u start getting mad take a break . an overemotional gm is prone to mistakes he will assuredly regret . my25

Korris
8 May 2002, 06:59 AM
Thats a tough one, its like what does a jedi master say to a Jedi padawan on his death?
"There is an..other Sky..w...alk..er"

No that isn't it.
"The aim is fun"
"The success is through emotions, make them feel theyre the Galaxies only hope"

Though I think Lord Diggori's is the better. Cant help feeling my head swell when I read it ;P Aww shucks I feel like Im so full of myself now..