PDA

View Full Version : PC's as the Characters in IV-VI Campaign

Korwin Blade
4 April 2002, 10:17 AM
Has anyone here ran a campaign where the players characters replace Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Ben(npc). It so, could you tell me how it went and if it was difficult or not.

Korwin B)

Alun
4 April 2002, 10:23 AM
Lets just say i played with a game master some years ago who was a bit deranged,

In my years of pleying with him, i have destroyed more death stars than luke has shot womp rats (seriously only 4-5 death stars, maybe 10-15 SDs, 1 SSD and an infinte amount of TIEs and STs)

i didnt exactly replace them, but i have certainly out pwerformed them.

Also killed Boba at least twice, Fought Darth Vader a minimum of 10 times (never did manage to defeat him though, at best a few minor wounds).

But as i said the GM was slightly deranged I have a horde of horror stories from those same campaigns, and if i mention hs name to the people we use to play with they all shiver and do their version of a devil banishment.

lordbynight
4 April 2002, 10:27 AM
I never replaced a character but would hope to replace one someday. I think it should be totally allowed by any gm. But should be truly earned. So please replace Luke as soon as possible. :D

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
4 April 2002, 11:51 AM
I tried that once (one of the few times I have been a player) the guy GMing sucked. It was pretty bad. After about 4 sessions I took over as GM and things got much better for the other players.

However, one of the 3 times I played D&D I was it a party based on the Fellowship of the Ring. That game was awsome. I was the Strider/Aragorn clone.

DarthMalaryush
4 April 2002, 12:30 PM
Also a strange but short game. Time travel was learned of about the time the Vong war began. they sent a message back to the rebels and warned them not to let Luke and Vader kill the Emperor and take control. They slipped a third strike team into the 2nd DS. and set up holo's of ben to falsh when Luke speaks to Vader. Sort of subliminal messages. They all did well staying out of sight and influencing the Main Characters reactions so that it played out like the move and not the Dark Version. It was great fun.

Reverend Strone
4 April 2002, 12:53 PM
Back in my d6ing days almost eleven years ago, we had a GM who ran us through a SW game with us all playing the hero characters from the films (though for some reason with different names). It was very unsatisfying. Everyone knew what was going to happen. We weren't allowed to do anything original, instead doomed to re-enact the moments from the movies, and as I was playing the Lando guy, I had to sit most of it out.

The saddest thing was he canned our really fun original campaign with characters we had developed and loved in order to do this one, which was just a vehicle for him to relive the novies. Most of the rest of us didn't have anywhere near as much fun.

It was the death of our rpg group. Everyone walked away disenfranchised and we never played SW d6 again.

I'm sure it can be done, and made to be fun, but in our case it sucked. I'd be wary of doing it unless everyone was really keen and understands what they all hope to get out of it.

Best of luck.

Mitchell!!
5 April 2002, 06:20 AM
I've never played a campaign like that, but it seems like it would be both challenging and rewarding. The only way it would work, though, is if the GM doesn't railroad the players into re-enacting the movies, which means the GM has to be ready to throw canon out the window. For example, If the PC's can't destroy the DS1, then Yavin IV is toast, along with much of the Rebel high command (unless they evacuate). The players would definitely feel like heroes in a campaign like this, but it would be a hell of a headache for the GM. An interesting experiment, though.

Maybe this thread should go to the General RPG forum?