PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Boba Fett?

reliant
9 April 2002, 05:40 AM
I just have one simple question:

Where is Boba Fett in the New Republic and New Jedi Order eras?

As far as I can tell there has been no mention of him... Is he dead? If so, why did no one write about his death? It's as if the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy just fell off the map and disapeared...

Can anyone answer any of this?

MFalls
9 April 2002, 07:07 AM
Just in my opinion I would have to say he's made enough money and retired. What he has to be around 60 some years old. Just because he's a clone doesn't mean he's still not human. I mean I love Boba Fett and probably his father now too but Boba Fett by the time NJO comes around he's old. Just my two cents.

reliant
9 April 2002, 07:18 AM
Oh I have no doubt that he's old, but I just wondered what happened to him... Maybe he trained someone to take his place? Just think of what it would do for the Boba Fett name if someone showed up in his ship and his armor and started taking jobs again. Talk about intimidation... Everyone thinks your all washed up so you get some new guy to fill in for you. Meanwhile you collect a healthy percent of his take and live in luxury and peace while the whole universe stays scared of you forever...

Besides, somehow I just can't imagine Boba Fett retired... In my mind he would still be out there kicking a$$ and taking names until the day he died.

Tramp
9 April 2002, 08:01 AM
Last time Boba Fett made an appearance was in the YJK : Diversity Alliance Story arch.

BrianDavion
9 April 2002, 11:52 AM
and it was suggested he was getting old and suffering major arthritis.

apparently he has had health problems since his encounter with the sarlaac. I think it's very possiable he retired.

also Lucas may simply not want the guy in NJO because we are exploreing his past in the movies right now

Nova Spice
10 April 2002, 04:49 PM
Tha may be the case, but I wouln't be surprised if the Mandalorian showed up in one of the later novels. The NJO has a knack for springing up old characters when you least expect it. I hope Fett returns and helps ole Han....that would be irony at its best wouldn't it? ;)

dgswensen
10 April 2002, 05:31 PM
Maybe Fett is off training other bounty hunters, or being a crimelord... kind of like the aging Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller... except, you know, bad.... :raised:

Sabre
10 April 2002, 08:05 PM
I know this isn't a poll, but I'm voting dead. Despite his multiple returns in various sources, the truth of the matter is that Boba Fett was comic relief in armor reminiscent of some jumped up space janitor who shows up looking mean then blunders his way into getting eaten by a Sarlac where he was slowly digested in about a thousand years. Although various attempts have been made in the literature at making Boba Fett seem like something more, or having the semblence of real talent, he consantly fails, seems to die, and then shows up again in the next episode. If NJO has done one thing right, it is leaving Boba Fett dead.

dgswensen
10 April 2002, 10:22 PM
That's an interesting opinion. I don't really agree with it, however.

Most of Boba Fett's charm is his mystery. A lot of people like to "debunk" Boba Fett because "he had three lines and then died." Well, obviously, Fett's a man of few words. And he did deliver Han Solo into Vader's hands when all the resources Vader otherwise mustered couldn't cut it. That ain't hay, as the saying goes.

Plus, a lot of Fett's personality is established by context. Vader singling out Fett with "no disintegrations" and a pointed finger. Vader slapping down Fett's gun in the carbonite chamber. Tiny moments, but enough to make Fett an interesting, if utterly peripheral character.

I personally didn't care for Fett's ridiculous death; I thought he deserved better as Han Solo's only real nemesis and foil in the movie. However, I'm even less fond of him coming back to life afterwards. He had a good run.

lordbynight
10 April 2002, 10:32 PM
In addition to the comment on someone takeing his armor and being really intimidating I dont think it would work much. Just imagine Boba took the higest paying bountys in the galaxy also meaning most dangerous. Whoever takes his place would definatly not be as experianced. He may get some people to turn themselves in just cause of the name. but first battle it would be to powerful a foe for a newbee. So get out 4 d6 and role another character or prpare the funeral.

Just my opinion..

darth maim
10 April 2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen
Maybe Fett is off training other bounty hunters, or being a crimelord... kind of like the aging Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller... except, you know, bad.... :raised:

Why does everyone say he's a "bad guy"? He goes where the money is... he's a mercenary. Why is it that mercenaries always get a bad rap? I mean in Starwars terrorists were the frickin heroes so why is it mercs are still bad guys? So he worked with the empire... that's where the real money is. Can the rebels pay you a buttload of creds to do a job? Probably not...

Donovan Morningfire
11 April 2002, 05:10 AM
Just a thought on Boba Fett training a replacement to take up the mantle of Fett ...

Who's to say that the replacement has to immediately go out in the armor? The new 'Fett' does a number of smaller hunts until he gets pretty close to where the old Fett left off in his prime. Then, the replacement gets the Mandalorian armor and ship and all the neato action accessories, and the 'legend' of Boba Fett lives on :D

Fett's main edge (going stricly from EU) was his intelligence and training, in that order. In Episode 2, we learn that he was trained by a very skilled and competent bounty hunter named Jango Fett. Heck, the new Boba Fett's armor could be upgraded with new technologies, giving the new Fett more of an edge until he aquires the field experience equivalent to the old Fett.

BTW, I do like the idea of Fett training a replacement. I don't see him as really becoming a crime boss, since he did have a moral code, and blatantly breaking the law was against that code.

dgswensen
11 April 2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by darth maim
Why does everyone say he's a "bad guy"? He goes where the money is... he's a mercenary. Why is it that mercenaries always get a bad rap? I mean in Starwars terrorists were the frickin heroes so why is it mercs are still bad guys? So he worked with the empire... that's where the real money is. Can the rebels pay you a buttload of creds to do a job? Probably not...

It's just the way I see it. Moral ambiguity in Star Wars doesn't hold a lot of water with me. It's a pulp sci-fi western, and that means white hats vs. black hats.

You can make all sorts of arguments about the behavior of certain characters -- you've heard this all before. "Oh, Han Solo murdered a guy in cold blood, he's Bad -- but wait, Greedo was going to shoot first (and later, he did), so now he's Good! Oh, the Rebels killed all those poor misunderstood janitors on the Death Star, they're Bad -- Boba Fett has some kind of moral code about his bounties, according to some author, so he's Good."

Bah. Boba Fett is a bad guy, in my view, because he's working for the ultimate Bad Guy, Darth Vader. In fact, he betrays and hands over one of the major heroes (Han Solo) to the forces of evil. Later, he tries to kill the hero. That makes him evil in my eyes. If Boba Fett had done anything even vaguely positive in any of the movies, or any of the comics / books I read about him in, then there might be something to discuss. But I never saw anything of the kind.

Hunting down people and turning them in for money to people who will probably torture or kill them, or both, is not a morally neutral act as far as I'm concerned.

Even the morally "gray" characters end up on one side or the other sooner or later. Han Solo starts out as a mercenary, too, but he ends up working for the Rebellion and becoming a general. Lando betrays Han to the Empire -- most definitely an act of poor moral character -- but he later changes his mind, rescues him, and redeems himself pretty soundly by blowing up the second Death Star.

And just because I consider Boba Fett a villain doesn't mean I don't like him a great deal. I love Boba Fett.

Anyway... sorry for the long, ranting answer to what very well may have been a rhetorical question :)

darth maim
15 April 2002, 08:23 PM
If Boba Fett had done anything even vaguely positive in any of the movies, or any of the comics / books I read about him in, then there might be something to discuss. But I never saw anything of the kind.

How about the tracking and capturing of a military defector turned terrorist?

dgswensen
15 April 2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by darth maim

How about the tracking and capturing of a military defector turned terrorist?

As I said before the Great Holonet Shutdown, the Empire is Evil with a capital E. It comes right out and says so right in the prologue crawl of ANH. "The evil Galactic Empire." As I see it, the morality of the situation is not up for grabs, at least not from the point of view of the story Lucas is out to tell. Therefore, Han Solo defecting from the Empire makes him, by contrast, a good guy, just as it makes Boba Fett (in my own humble opinion) a bad guy for tracking him down and turning him over to the forces of evil. Granted, not bad on a scale of Darth Vader or the Emperor, but certainly not good by any stretch of the imagination.

If we were talking about a universe like Dune or Battletech, where good and evil are significantly less clear-cut, I might agree with you. But I don't agree with the notion of the Rebels as "terrorists" and I don't consider Han's defection from the Empire a negative act.

As for Fett being "just a businessman" -- there are plenty of businesses where you don't have to track and / or kill people for money. Fett chose a life of violence. He could have opened a gym, or tended bar, but instead he chose to capture and murder people to make a living. The fact that he adheres to some self-styled code of honor doesn't change the heinous nature of his career.

Again -- I love Boba Fett. I just don't think he's a hero.

Ghost In The Holocron
16 April 2002, 12:04 AM
Just a thought, and excuse it if it's a bit off-topic. Wouldn't it be interesting if:

1) Some NJO characters start hearing rumours of the return of the man in the green Mandalorian armor -- trademark disintegrations and all.

2) They track the rumours down and have a run-in with Boba Fett in his prime.

3) Meanwhile, in some backwater desert planet somewhere, an old and apprently insignificant moisture farmer (who hates the Sarlacc), begins cleaning his old blaster carbine for one last good hunt.

darth maim
16 April 2002, 01:09 AM

As I said before the Great Holonet Shutdown, the Empire is Evil with a capital E. It comes right out and says so right in the prologue crawl of ANH. "The evil Galactic Empire."

Just remember that history is written by the winner...

dgswensen
16 April 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Ghost In The Holocron
3) Meanwhile, in some backwater desert planet somewhere, an old and apprently insignificant moisture farmer (who hates the Sarlacc), begins cleaning his old blaster carbine for one last good hunt.

Sort of a Boba Fett <I>Unforgiven</I>?

I love it! :)

"Nobody's killed Dengar... he went south yesterday!"

Dark Knight
16 April 2002, 02:29 PM

But I don't agree with the notion of the Rebels as "terrorists" and I don't consider Han's defection from the Empire a negative act.

The way i see it is this, the empire was THE government at the time and though it might not be what every government should be (which is?) it was the one. For all intents and purposes the rebel alliance would make strafing runs on government buildings and weapons, that is an act of terrorism if there was ever one.
As for Han Solo he was a military defector turned smuggler working for the rebels.....that warrants a death sentence so why not hire mercenaries. It just happened that Fett was the best there was. So maybe Fett wasn't about tulips and posies and kissing nerfs, he was about doing his job and getting money. Might not be scrupulous but if Colin Powell asked you to go take out an american soldier turned terrorist you wouldn't? It's all a matter of perspective.

dgswensen
16 April 2002, 02:47 PM
The word "terrorist" is so politically loaded in the United States right now, I'd rather not see it associated with the heroes of one of my most beloved hobbies, that's all. I see your point, though.

Also, I think there is plenty of room to breathe between being a hired killer and being about "tulips and posies" as you put it. Han Solo was in it for the money, too (at least at first) and he shot down Greedo in cold blood (sigh... at least at first). I still consider him a "good guy," but by no means is he Dudley Do-Right.

And you make some good points with your parallels to Colin Powell and so forth, but once parallels to real-world politics start being drawn into Star Wars conversations, it's time for me to bow out.

jedifilmmaker
18 April 2002, 07:31 AM
I thought offically, boba fett was dead. Although I do like fett, he is pretty cool.

reliant
18 April 2002, 07:59 AM
Who said Boba Fett was "officially" dead? According to the EU he lived after falling into the sarlacc.

I really like the idea of Boba Fett (who has retired), strapping on the old armor and pulling the cover off of Slave I for one last hunt... Maybe he finally settles the score with Han? Or maybe someone hires him to kill a warmaster or someone high up in the Vong? Either way Boba needs to make a come back and kick some ass in the NJO era...

dgswensen
18 April 2002, 08:40 AM
"Officially" as in dead in the movies, perhaps? It's certainly been well established that George Lucas considers him dead. He's joked about it in many an interview.

I think this strays into one of those "canon / non-canon" areas again.

reliant
18 April 2002, 09:38 AM
ARG! Not the canon/non-canon debate again! I didn't mean to start that epic saga all over again. All I meant was that in the movie we see him fall into the sarlacc. Even if Lucas says Fett is dead, since there are no movies after ROTJ then we don't really know (unless lucas makes three more movies, which he said will never happen). So all we have is the EU for anything post ROTJ. They say Fett came back, well I'm inclined to believe it because I always thought his death was just too cheesy. Han accidentally knocks into him, thus launching him into the other sail barge and then down into the sarlacc? Give me a break! That's like saying that the greatest bounty hunter in the universe could be defeated by the three stooges...

Oops... Sorry for the rant... Either way, the NJO is EU, then we have to accept what the EU says about Fett too, or else fall victim to the canon/noncanon arguement which is nothing but a big pointless pain in the rear...

Well that's my 2 creds on that...:D

dgswensen
18 April 2002, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I think "to each his own" is definitely the guidepost to go by here.

I personally consider Fett to be dead... mostly because I don't read any of the EU novels, and only a few of the Rebellion-era comic books that feature Fett. His death was a bit undeserved, and yeah, it was definitely corny... but that's the breaks, I guess.

For me, it just boils down to "too much of a good thing." I think Fett is best in small doses, being mysterious. His appearance in ESB -- great. His nod to Boussh in ROTJ - terrific. His cameo in the ANH SE -- neat. But I don't really want to learn that much about him, because that's part of the mystery for me.

That's why I'm a little hesitant about seeing Boba Fett as a little kid in Episode II. We already know we'll see the man behind the Jango Fett mask -- now we know what Fett looks like, at least as a kid. I actually really liked not knowing what was behind the mask.

Part of me really does like the idea of an aged Fett strapping on the armor for one last battle, though -- I will admit that.

Tramp
18 April 2002, 11:28 AM
Actually, when Tom Vietech was writing Dark Empire, he aske George Lucas personally if he could bring Boba Fett back and was given the go-ahead from him personally.

dgswensen
18 April 2002, 11:38 AM
Actually, when Tom Vietech was writing Dark Empire, he aske George Lucas personally if he could bring Boba Fett back and was given the go-ahead from him personally.

Very true, but Lucas also seems to think it's kind of funny. In Insider #57, there's a bit where George Lucas is talking to Daniel Logan: "You know how Boba Fett falls down that hole and they think he's dead? People don't think he's dead, they think he's coming back. They can't let him go."

I believe there's also a bit in the interview at the beginning of the ROTJ special edition VHS in which Lucas talks about the fans bringing Fett back to life, and essentially says with a smile and a shrug, "I killed him, but the fans decided that he had to live on."

Tramp
19 April 2002, 07:37 AM

I believe there's also a bit in the interview at the beginning of the ROTJ special edition VHS in which Lucas talks about the fans bringing Fett back to life, and essentially says with a smile and a shrug, "I killed him, but the fans decided that he had to live on." I've got the Special Editions and that's not in the Interview. All he talks about is the techincal behind-the-scenes work on the movie.

dgswensen
19 April 2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Tramp
I've got the Special Editions and that's not in the Interview. All he talks about is the techincal behind-the-scenes work on the movie.
Ack, sorry, my bad. I meant the original box set that came out before Episode I -- the pre-Special Editions. My mistake.

powalsh
25 April 2002, 10:14 AM
Boba Fett is the man. He is the second coolest character in Star Wars next to Vader himself. He is not Good, he is not Bad, he just is. That being said, I think Boba Fett is most likely doing what he is always doing, hunting. I agree with those who say that he is getting long of tooth, but those teeth are still sharp and I would put my money on him any day of the week as long as Solo isnt involved.
Secondly, I think the Vong invasion has stirred up a lot of buisness for bounty hunters. The New Republic didnt have much use for them, but since their gone and so many worlds have been captured, abandoned, or destroyed, you have a large number of displaced species who are at the mercy of scounderals, and hunters alike. Criminals, and pirates are running around with no real law enforcment, which means local communities that still have a central power base will rely on hunters to catch the rif raf that typiclly acompany refugees.
The Vong have put out Bounties on the Jedi, but after Fett's run in with the Skywalker clan, I doubt he has much interest in getting on their bad side again. He might even go so far as to capture Jedi and turn them back over to Booster or some otherJedi. It would take someone with Fetts skill to handle a bounty like that and get paid for it. He also might have decided to visit the Rim planets he is so fond of in the movies, to lay low, or he might have decided that unknown space or remnant space offers a safer and more lucrative vantage point.

MFalls
25 April 2002, 08:25 PM
Don't read if you don't want spoilers in Episode 2 and beyond.

Hey there. Welp I just finished reading the book about Boba Fett as a child. Plus I've read some of the Episode 2 novel. Plus I've read some of the Episode 2 graphic novel. Just havn't finished them. But I did finish the Boba Fett book. Any ways Boba Fett is 10 years old as of Episode 2. He's also the clone of Jango Fett. So we know now what Boba Fett looks like. He's the replica of Jango Fett. Any ways by Episode 3 Boba will be 20. A New Hope 30. By NJO's Destiny's Way he would be 58 years old. Destiny's Way happens 28 years after A New Hope. So he's up there in age. He might be healthy but I bet he's deffinitly feeling his age. I mean if your the greatest bounty hunter alive you have to stay in shape. But still that's pretty old. Also I doubt he would ever quit trying to go after Jedi. He loved his Father very much. (Jango Fett) Jango Fett treated him very well and treated him just like an actual son even though he was a clone of himself. Jango also was very stricked with him. And Boba as he was growing up didn't have any friends and he learned that he couldn't trust any one at a very early age. His own father (Jango) was killed by a Jedi (Mace Windu). Because of this he hated Jedi more than any one else. But also by the end of the book, about Boba Fett as a child and the aftermath of Episode 2, he was taken in by Count Dooku. Dooku was the one that arranged for Jango to make the clone army. Another words all the clones are Jango Fett. Except they don't have his exact skills. But he did train them. And Aurra Sing was the one that Brought Boba Fett to Dooku. Unless Boba Fett actually did have a son I doubt he would train any one to take his place. From what I've read his one true ally would have to be Dengar. Which in my opinion for the right price even he would betray Boba Fett. Any ways we will just have to wait and see what the next book about Boba Fett's child hood will take us. Also we will have ot wait and see if they do bring Boba Fett back in NJO. In my opinion I doubt they will but you never know since Episode 2 is coming out in the next three weeks or so. And that Jango Fett is one of the main villians in the movie. Just my opinion on all this. Thanks.

scourgicus
26 April 2002, 10:14 AM
I haven't read any of the spoilers so sorry if this is covered earlier...

Boba is rougly 10 years old in EPII (22 BBY). So in EPV he is 35 (10+22+3=35). So by 25 ABY he is 35 + 22 = 57. Boba Fett is almost certainly retired. I do wonder if Balancesheet is still around though...

EmprorsHand03
1 May 2002, 11:45 AM
Boba is rougly 10 years old in EPII (22 BBY). So in EPV he is 35 (10+22+3=35). So by 25 ABY he is 35 + 22 = 57. Boba Fett is almost certainly retired. I do wonder if Balancesheet is still around though...

Check your math. By my calculations if he is 10 in Ep. II, then he would be 35, in Ep. V, and 57 in NJO. As of Rebel Dream he would be 59, and in "Destiny's Way," he would be 60.:p

reliant
1 May 2002, 11:49 AM
What about Leia and Han? They have got to be getting up there in age too you know... Okay so Boba Fett's getting up there in years. I'd still like to see him make a comeback. Or if not him, maybe his apprentice... Either way I want someone in mandalorian armor (and slave one) running around and kicking a$$ in the NJO era! :D

darth maim
1 May 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by EmprorsHand03

Check your math. By my calculations if he is 10 in Ep. II, then he would be 35, in Ep. V, and 57 in NJO. As of Rebel Dream he would be 59, and in "Destiny's Way," he would be 60.:p

Actually you guys are both saying the same thing so no one needs to check their math. Also about his being in great shape... so much is true but he should be falling apart from several ailments for putting his body through such a beating all his life. Arthritis, bad knees, bad back, etc....

Bookmaker221
1 May 2002, 02:31 PM
The only way I'd want Fett back is if they actually gave him character. I never liked the EU Boba because he was a one trick pony. His character never did anything as far as progression goes. And as far as his exploits go, I'll take Dirty Hary over Boba any day for entertainment.

If they do actually do something with the character, like add, say, personality, then I might tolerate it. This isn't far from impossible, either, now that we have his background fleshed out in AotC. Perhaps now writer's can actually do something with him rather than the "let's get Solo" story again.

And failing that, I want to see Boba start to fight 15 Vong, take them all on single-handedly, and then die of cardiac arrest.

EmprorsHand03
1 May 2002, 06:38 PM
Oops! Sorry, my bad. Also didn't Boba Fett lose an eye, or leg, or both in his encounter with the Sarlacc? I read that in one of those tales books, or something. If so add that to his list of ailments as well.:raised:

reliant
2 May 2002, 04:40 AM
Oops! Sorry, my bad. Also didn't Boba Fett lose an eye, or leg, or both in his encounter with the Sarlacc? I read that in one of those tales books, or something. If so add that to his list of ailments as well.

In one of the books he supposedly has a prostetic leg (knee down) that gives him some trouble. He mentions wanting to get a cloned leg grown to replace it, but I don't know if he ever got around to it or not (it was never mentioned again as far as I know).

I am not a big fan of the "let's get solo" Fett either. It was cool in the Han Solo trilogy (where it actually made sense), but the fact that the EU just kept bringing it up again and again was kind of lame.

THe more I think about it, the more of a fan I am of Fett training someone to take his place. Kind of a Batman Beyond kind of feel. And since few people have seen Fett without his helmet, who would know it wasn't him? That would just be cool... Maybe it wouldn't fit into the NJO series very well at this point, but I think it could be a good stand alone novel set in that era.

powalsh
2 May 2002, 06:40 AM
In the new Guide to Characters that was recently published, they state that Boba Fett is still using Slave IV and is still at large in the Galaxy. They give no knowledge to his whereabouts in the NJO, but they dismiss any accusations that he is retired. I

FlipDog 2000
3 May 2002, 06:34 AM
According to the EU, Boba is alive. According to the movies, Fett is dead. So, I don't know which is true. I personally like to think of Boba with his armor, not running around without it.

Tramp
7 May 2002, 10:03 AM
Actually Flip Dog all you see is him fall into the Sarlac's mouth and get swallowed whole. That, in itself doesn't necesarily mean he died, just that he was eaten. Remember, it takes a loooooooong time for the Sarlac to digest its meals. Not only that, remember the old movie cliche: if you don't see a body, he ain't necessarily dead.

scourgicus
7 May 2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by reliant
What about Leia and Han? They have got to be getting up there in age too you know...

The SW Encyclopedia says Han is 29 in 0 ABY, Luke and Leia are 20...so...

As of Vector Prime:

Han - 54
Luke - 45
Leia - 45

Or the Skywalker twins might be 46, depending on when Padme gets pregnant.

scourgicus
7 May 2002, 12:05 PM
According to KW Jeter's Bounty Hunter Wars - Fett knowlingly avoiding trying to exit by the Sarlacc's mouth and blew a whole in its side. His armor somewhat protected him, but not enough. Thank God for Bacta, baby!

Andrw
30 May 2002, 07:32 PM
I think how he died was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooEDIT (?no offense?) Come on han solo bakcs into the activation button or somin for his jetpack(in AotC i never say Jango push anybuttons on the side or any at all whats with that)Atleast i suppose he hit a button or somin. Anyways he flies into the barge as my memory holds he had around a bit more than 2 seconds to redirect movement. The greatest reflexes ever cant do it! He then falls where it seems the jetpack only turns off not breaks so he could have turned it on easily and lifted off before he fell in the mouth..... but he doesnt. Know what kind of way to die is that. So i beleive he did get out. as of where is he as of NJo who knows. Personally i dont like the idea of him trainin someone unless some can make a whole book after it and use a good author like Zahn. Thats what i think

The Admiral
12 June 2002, 06:16 AM
Anyone think of any particular reason why Boba couldn't have gone back to Kamino?

reliant
12 June 2002, 06:34 AM
Unless something happens to Kamino in Episode III, I don't see why he couldn't go back.

scourgicus
13 June 2002, 08:48 AM
That raises an interesting question - Fett has made a lot of money and could basically own his own planet if he wanted (okay maybe not his own planet) but he always seems to be on the move - always living in Slave I (or 2,3,4... 5,000). Where does this guy go to vacation? Does he have an actual home?

As I recall the Fetts were on Kamino cuz they needed Jengo's DNA (and/or maybe he helped train the clones). With Jengo gone why would they let Boba live there? Even as an adult (assuming Kamino survives the Clone Wars).

reliant
13 June 2002, 09:36 AM
They could use Boba's DNA to clone more troops, of have him train them (fill his father's vacated postion).

I don't know where he vacationed (if he vacationed at all). Somehow I don't see Boba Fett sitting on a beach somewhere sipping on a pina colada...

Jedi_Staailis
13 June 2002, 10:04 AM
In my mind, Boba Fett died on Tatooine. As for the death being ignoble, yes it was. But the irony is priceless. Boba Fett, the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy, is killed by the random stumblings of a blind man.

You can argue that Boba should have been fast enough to avoid falling in the Sarlacc, but I think he could have been already wounded by his brief skirmish with Luke on the skiff. That deflected blaster shot (and whatever that flying bunch of sparks was) could have injured Fett. Remember also that we never see Boba Fett fight, aside from the brief sequence in RotJ (where he certainly doesn't make a good showing of himself). We watch Jango fight in AotC, and he's impressive, but it seems to me that both Fetts make rather rotten choices in battle. They keep deciding that they can take on Jedi. Jango fights Obi-Wan on Kamino, and barely escapes alive. For inexplicable reasons, he decides to attack Mace Windu on Genosis, with predictable results. Boba, who's along to watch the execution of the Rebels, decides to fly on over and fight Luke Skywalker. He should have been a little more wary about Jedi and gotten out of there while he still could.

JJBird
13 June 2002, 10:20 AM
:raised:
60 doesn't seem that old to me. Especially in a universe full of Bacta, cloning and other medical technology. As an example of someone who has put their body through abuse all their life, look at Hulk Hogan...57 years old, but still in awesome physical condition. It shows that exercise, drugs and our current medical technology can support a 57 year old still (almost?) as active and fit as they were when they were 20 - why wouldn't the super-science medicine and pharmacology of the Star Wars universe be able to do the same for them?

I know that Han is complaining about his age in the NJO timeframe, but he has assumed a relatively sedentary role...I don't think that someone actively training needs to feel the same way.

JJ

FlipDog 2000
14 June 2002, 09:24 AM
I personally like to think that Boba died there in the pit, but I have heard so much EU that its crazy how much they can make up. I just don't like the idea of him playing the best man at Dengar's wedding.

And yes, the Fetts do make STUPID choices when attacking people.

hisham
29 June 2002, 12:09 AM
Boba Fett as of just prior to the NJO was retired. He lived from the sales of his extremely profitable new business: Design and manufacturing of Boba Fett action figures. "Good money," he said. "Don't know why on Kamino didn't I think of this before." :D

But seriously folks, let's wait for at least Episode 3 (where GL has said Boba will return) to see if any addition to the Boba Fett story arc justifies him ending as Sarlacc food, or not.

Rouge8
29 June 2002, 04:22 PM
Hisnam has a good point. I also think that Boba is al;vie. The New Ewssential Guide to Characters says so.

Puck
29 June 2002, 04:53 PM
I'd like to see the whole The Phantom thing going on here. The passing down of the armour and the mission to apprehend 'evil-doers' (from a certain point of view ;) ) from father to son.

We could have Boba visiting Kamino for another unaltered clone of himself and raising it to take on the mantle of "The Best Bounty Hunter" when he gets to old to do it.

:D

And I'd have to agree that Mr Fett is a BAD guy. But, that could make a possible redemption so interesting - if only someone writing EU stuff had thought to take it on.

Puck :)

Zanus
29 June 2002, 11:22 PM
Just thought I would throw some thoughts around too.

Fett: I think he needs to be put to rest. There are like three different ways he survived the Sarlacc. I just read a SW Tales comic today that had him catching acouple goofball stormies that Fett himself had put into the sarlacc to get them out of his way, only to have them save him when he fell in. Naturally I don't believe this for a second, as the comic is ment for humor. I say let fett die in the Sarlacc, no apprentice, no last minute savior, he is dead. (and no, I will not do the quote from Spawn like I did for Dash Rendar, that seemed to curse my oppinion last time)

I have to revisit something posted earlier, simply because it rubbed me wrong. The rebels are not terrorists. Point out one instance in the movies, or in the EU (any of it) where the rebels "strafed political buildings" or blew up a car bomb, or targeted civilians in general? They didn't. The Empire did, however. The Rebel alliance was acting out against the established government because they had a problem with it. That is how the US, or the Modern French governments formed, because the people didn't like how they where treated by the standing govt. This does not make them terrorists. It makes them REBELS or revolutionaries. Thus the name, REBEL Alliance. Grab a dicionary folks, you will see the distinction between open rebellion and terrorism. They may have the same goals, but one is more likely to succeed then the other in the long run. (example of terrorism vs a govt, Israel and Palastine. Palastinians blow up car bombs, Israel cracks down, thus causing more car bombs, thus causing more crackdowns. Rebelions TAKE land, usually military targets, and hold it as best they can as they move to defeat the govt they are fighting against. Actual definitions may vary :P )

Plus, Han Solo was in no way a defector. He was drummed out of the service because he did something they didn't like, saving a slave from whatever. As someone that has been kicked out of the Army AND Air Force (the latter honorably, the former under honorable conditions) I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I where to go and join the foreign legion right now, or some other govts military, I would not be seen as a defector, at least not in the way you guys where talking. Han had no connection to the Empire military at the time he joined the rebellion. Kyle Katarn is more of a Defector then anyone (if you have read the "soldier for the Empire" Graphic story, where it tells Kyles story up to the time of the second mission in Dark Forces I). Sorry for ranting on this, but as someone who spent (in some ways waisted) four years of my life for my country, and has spent much of my life studying military history, hearing Han called a defector and the rebels being called terrorists just seemed way to unappropriate to me.

Oh, I don't know if anyone actually corrected this or not (I got lost int he numbers and couldn't tell what number was ment to represent what) there is only 2 years inbetween EpII and EpIII, not 10 like someone previously said. Fett is a bit younger then originally stated, however I do not exactly feel clear headed enough to go back over the numbers. I will assume someone already factored this in :)

I don't know, it seems like GL is having a strong influence on how the NJO is working out, as opposed to the previous EU books where it was almost no holds barred, we will figure out what goes where later type of thing. If Lucas doesn't want Fett alive, then we are not gonna see him in the NJO. Coarse, I have seen no indication in the movies that says that the Fetts armor is unique (can anyone point out an exact moment their armor is actually called mandalorian armor? I remember impact armor, or some such, but not Mandalorian. Ever consider that Mandalorian might be a company/brand of armor as opposed to a society of warriors? Just a thought) Nothing stopping imposters taking up the mantel (some EU sources already pointed out one such individual, who got blasted by the EU Fett)

Anyway, I am not gonna say that Fett is dead, as others have said, there is still some time for an author to get the go ahead and bring him in. In witch case I see him helping the "heroes" simply cause fett doesnt seem to like having funky religions forced on him.

Oh, and before I forget, I actually think it makes sense for Fett to go after Luke in Ep VI. He might hold a grudge against Jedi and may not want to see them return. He just happened to land on the wrong cargo skiff is all :P

The Admiral
30 June 2002, 02:08 AM
Point out one instance in the movies, or in the EU (any of it) where the rebels "strafed political buildings" or blew up a car bomb, or targeted civilians in general?
Shadows of the Empire. Lando sets off a thermal detonator in the depths of Xizor's castle with the express intention of levelling a mile high civilian building, taking out a large chunk of the surrounding area (in a civillian area).
Not only is that a fairly blatant example of what you asked for, it is also from the only source of official material during the rebellion era.

The US apparently use the following definition of Terrorism;
The term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant (1) targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.
This seems a little off to me, since the US regards the attack on the USS Cole to have been a terrorist incident, although the target was clearly not NON-combatant.
Following the previso of the USS Cole, the attack on the Death Star was a terrorist action, as was attacking the Imperial troops during the evacuation of Hoth.
(Also incidentally, Palestinian attacks on Israeli targets technically are not terrorist since Palestine is a nation state)

Incidentally, the terms rebel revolutionary and terrorist are not exclusive. The Tamil Tigers are both rebels, revolutionarys and terrorists. So are Farc. So are the IRA.

Fett's armour is labelled as Mandalorian in the E2 Visual Dictionary, a fairly senior Official source. We're unlikely to get canon information on this, though.
"Hey, I thought we killed that guy?!"
"Who?"
"Fett, you know the bounty hunter with Mandalorian armour, that stuff that was worn by the Mandalorian super commando a few years back, say I wonder if he used to be one of those guys?"

He just happened to land on the wrong cargo skiff is all
Actually, he lands on the right skiff. He gets Luke with his rope launcher, then gets knocked over, by the time he gets up, Luke has jumped onto the other skiff, at which point Fett aims up, gets smacked in the back by Solo, and wheeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,,,,

Zanus
30 June 2002, 10:26 AM
Following the previso of the USS Cole, the attack on the Death Star was a terrorist action, as was attacking the Imperial troops during the evacuation of Hoth.

well, as you said, it is a bit off to use the attack on the cole as a terrorist attack. Then again, the modern USA is off in to many ways. That realy isn't the point of this discussion (email and PM are better suited if you wish to continue it). The Death Star was in the process of preparing to attack a military target (of sorts, if you take the view of once you pick up a gun and shoot it in agression for one side or another you are now a combatant) and was attacked as a viable military target. The Empire played it off as a minning operation attacked by rebel terrorists, to cover up what they where actually planning for the DS, and that is mostly EU info, they don't mention that in the movies.

Shadows of the Empire. Lando sets off a thermal detonator in the depths of Xizor's castle with the express intention of levelling a mile high civilian building, taking out a large chunk of the surrounding area (in a civillian area).

ok, that is a good example, however that was not done as a rebel action, but as a interpersonal sort of thing. Basically Lando (as well as Luke, Leia, Chewie, and Dash as acomplaces) is the terrorist. It can be argued that the building was part of a framework supporting the Empire (true) and underworld operations (also true) but most of the people where not entirely aware of many of these operations. hmm...on second thought, there is no way they couldn't have known about the support of the Empire. Sorta falls into that thing from clerks where their talking about the contractors working on the Second Death Star. They knew they where working for the government and military during a time of war (or for this discussion, working for a supporter of the empire providing transportation and information) and would have to know that their lives are at risk in such a situation. Kinda applies to the janitors on the first deathstar (who, in my oppinion and experience, woulda been droids and lowly enlisted ratings who messed up somehow). I doubt the few thousand people working in that building where apart of the actual operations that made Xizor himself a target, but they had to have had some knowledge of what was going on, even from rumors. I am not saying they deserved what they got either. Anyway, it was not a true Rebel sactoined action. It was a spur of hte moment decision to buy time and a distraction....or something like that. Yes, Rogue squadron showed up, but it was by their decision (if I remember correctly) and not by any order but Wedge's. Does this make them accomplices to the fortress bombing? maybe, but they came along of their own volition, as did all the other 'heroes.' Yes, I know, Leia used alliance credits, but I think it was not a welcomed dicision to let her spend them so freely. She basically made personal business the problem of the alliance, which shouldn't have been done. (wow, I just realised stating this works against my case. Oh well, maybe some point is in there somewhere)

(Also incidentally, Palestinian attacks on Israeli targets technically are not terrorist since Palestine is a nation state)

They are striking at civilian targets in order to get a message across. Palestine may be a nation state, they are still answer alot to Israel, whether they want to or not. They attack civilians (and yes, some military targets, but I hear about more civilian attacks then military) in order to try and get the Israelis to back off, but usually only ends up making the Israelis strike harder. Uck, again, wrong place for this discussion, sorry.

as far as rebels, revolts, and terrorists, you can have one without the other. Rebels and revolts kinda go hand in hand, in a way, but terrorism doesn't. Yes there are rebels and revolutionaries in the world that resort to terrorism. They way the world is today, many people don't have the option of flying a couple squadrons over a country and blowing up all their factories, or to have cruise missiles launched form sea take out communications bunkers. What is the next best thing? Blow up a car infront of a government building, or in the middile of a busy intersectoin and hope that you get your message across. Yes, that is a rather simplified version. The way I see it, the whole reason some of hte first rebelions and revotls worked so well was there was not much of a difference in weapons the common people had and the ones the military had. Now, if you don't have the money, you have to use every little thing you have in any way you can. Everything I have read of the Rebel Alliance has been that they would not plan an operation around a suicide bombing, or attacking civilian targets. They did everything they could to preserve life (Lando not being a full fledge rebel is kind of an exception, and again, it was not a sanctioned rebel mission)

hmm, well, again I have convoluted my post. Sorry bout that.

Lord Duguael
30 June 2002, 05:50 PM
OK, for all you folks against an heir to the armour and name...

Its a somewhat traditional practice of the greatest and most notorious pirates to pass on their name. Makes it easier for one inheriting the name to cash in.

For a fictional version of the above, see the Princess Bride. The Dread Pirate Roberts has had his name handed down...

I personally don't like the Ep II scene with Boba holding Daddy's Head. Yeah, Father / Son and all that, but the implication comes that he is motivated by revenge. Fett always struck me as the 'in it for the money.'

The Admiral
1 July 2002, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it's just the helmet.
You see just inside the helmet as he holds it, and there's no head, in which case, it's more of a 'I guess I'm on my own now then'

I read that little bit as Boba contemplating his future rather than being especially concerned about revenge.

Mind you, I'm expecting Windu gets iced by Fett in E3,,,

CieSharp
22 July 2002, 02:53 PM
Interesting thread. :)

Does anybody here feel sorry for Jango and Boba Fett? It may seem like a ridiculous question with an obvious "no" answer, but I for one see Boba and Jango Fett as one of the most tragic tales of the SW Universe (Anakin and Padme's tragedy is *far* more sad, though).

According to the EU, Jango was orphaned when his parents were killed by marauders. This happened on their colony at Concord Dawn. From there, Jango was cared for by Jaster Mereel (who at first, was supposed to be the original name for Boba Fett, but now they changed the EU story around, calling the original story an urban legend). All Jango ever knew was combat. Boba, as well. Seeing your father being decapitated by Jedi can really screw you up as a child.

Let's not forget the clones. This is probably the blackest deed of the SW 6 movie double trilogy. They took life, replicated it, and brainwashed the masses of clones. Not only do Palpatine and the Kaminoans have blood on their hands, but the Jedi as well, for leading them into battle.

The clonetroopers fought, risked their lives in very risky situations, and died. The clones had no choice. All copies of Jango. Think of seeing yourself in a clone army, seeing yourself die over and over again. It's quite perverse, and I think that it was a secret desire of Jango's to see himself die continuously, as he probably wanted to be with his parents deep down.

Ziiteesh
23 July 2002, 09:27 AM
I feel the need to jump in on this one, as Boba Fett is one of the coolest and most mysterious characters in SW.

The latest (chronologically speaking) mention of Boba Fett seems to be the duel between him and Han Solo in the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters." Both of them are horrible arthritic/degenerated (it even mentions Fett having artificial knees), even more so than Han has complained about in NJO, leading to my conclusion that it is after that time period. It does, however, leave their ends totally ambiguous, as it says something like, "...they both draw their blasters and fire." The End.

And really, wouldn't that be the most appropriate ending for not only Boba Fett, but Han as well? Two mortal enemies dying with their hands clutched around the other's throat.

reliant
23 July 2002, 11:33 AM
Does anybody here feel sorry for Jango and Boba Fett?

I care... :D

Rouge8
23 July 2002, 05:17 PM
They didn't shoot. They walked away.

Puck
25 July 2002, 02:31 AM
I think you're spot on there CieSharp!

Tramp
26 July 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Ziiteesh
I feel the need to jump in on this one, as Boba Fett is one of the coolest and most mysterious characters in SW.

The latest (chronologically speaking) mention of Boba Fett seems to be the duel between him and Han Solo in the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters." Both of them are horrible arthritic/degenerated (it even mentions Fett having artificial knees), even more so than Han has complained about in NJO, leading to my conclusion that it is after that time period. It does, however, leave their ends totally ambiguous, as it says something like, "...they both draw their blasters and fire." The End.

And really, wouldn't that be the most appropriate ending for not only Boba Fett, but Han as well? Two mortal enemies dying with their hands clutched around the other's throat.
actually, they ended up lowering their weapons and walking away.

Jim Williams
26 July 2002, 04:53 PM
To get back to the original post, there was also a "short" story in Tales of the NR that has Boba Fett tracking down a bounty that escaped him a long, long time ago. The dude with the bounty is the narrarator of the story and he's telling a bunch of kids on some backwater planet about this dude (the narrarator) Boba Fett is after.

SPOILER SPOILER (okay, it is just a short story but its really really good)

The narrarotor was a young man in his story, and very old at the end of the real story. Boba Fett had to take down an Imperial AT-AT patrol and penetrate the security of an Imperial garrison to get this dude. The dude's brother, CO of the garrison and former Royal Guardsman, has a battle royal with Fett but buys time for the narrarator dude to escape. The point of all this? Fett finds this guy years later and (brace thyself) let's him go.

Another post also said NJO books are digging up characters. I believe he is correct that Boba will show up.

Jim Williams

Master_thorin
30 July 2002, 07:33 PM
Hey I think you could use A fett in NJO I mean no reason for Boba not to have a kid. SO if you are as dasterdly as my players you will just play his child

Rouge8
31 July 2002, 06:57 AM
Fett's clone

Smokem_Alien
31 July 2002, 08:46 AM
Boba Fett is still alive during the NJO and is scheduled to make an appearance in one of the up coming NJO books. Also it was stated in a book or comic somewhere that he did indeed have a child but I do not know if this is considered official continuity. I for one want him to bring back the Mandalores or at least train some one in his place. It would be in character for him doing so since Jango did, and he is Jango's clone.

dragonseye
31 July 2002, 11:08 AM
As far as EU can be made a part of the official continuity, yes, Boba had a child. The story appeared in one of the Star Wars Tales comics (I think it's issue number 7, but I could be wrong... Fett was on the cover.)

Do you know which NJO book he'll be in? Or is it to be determined.

Smokem_Alien
31 July 2002, 01:34 PM
I am not positive, but I think his apearance will be in the trilogy that come after Destiney's Way. There isn't a lot of information to be had, but if I find out anything more I'll let you guys know.

dragonseye
1 August 2002, 06:22 AM
That would be greatly appreciated... I haven't kept up with the NJO books for quite some time....

Rouge8
1 August 2002, 07:17 AM
That would be great! What's his son's name? His wife was in Gamer #6.

ElfWord
13 November 2002, 04:21 PM
To those of you who were wondering whether Fett and Solo shot at each other or lowered their weapons and walked away, you're both wrong. The tale ends with Han Solo asking:

"What are we going to do?"
"Everyone dies," said Fett.
"Yeah. Eventually. But it doesn't have to be today, not for either of us."
Fett shook his head; the helmet barely moved, and Han did not imagine that Fett's attention had shifted even slightly. "i do not know," Fett said softly. "Trust is hard, among enemies. Perhaps we should return to the battle; perhaps, Han Solo, we should let fly, and once more let fate decide who will survive, as we did when were young."
Personally I think this is the best possible ending for the story, as it leaves it up to the reader to determine what happened to Fett. I imagine them both simultaneously lowering their weapons, and just walking away. Han Solo, to rejoin his happy life as a husband and father, Boba Fett to enjoy his temporary retirement. I can't wait to see Boba Fett in the NJO. I'd like to think that he will capture Han Solo, take him to Tsavong Lah, and there he will toss Solo the keys to the cuffs he is in, as well as a blaster. They will then proceed to capture Tsavong Lah, and fight their way out of the worldship, back to Fett's ship. Fett sustains an injury on the way back, and Han has to pilot with Fett doing what he can as co-pilot. Once they've blasted out of the worldship, tons of coralskippers are on an intercept course. Just when things look bleak, a New Republic fleet shows up and Han gets on the comm letting them know that Slave 5 is a friendly. The worldship and Lah's fleet is defeated, and Fett is hailed as a hero of the New Republic. The book ends with Fett taking his helmet off and shaking Han's hand.

Dark Knight
14 November 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Zanus
Just thought I would throw some thoughts around too.

It makes them REBELS or revolutionaries. Thus the name, REBEL Alliance. Grab a dicionary folks, you will see the distinction between open rebellion and terrorism. They may have the same goals, but one is more likely to succeed then the other in the long run.

The only REAL difference between Rebels and Terrorists is who's writing the history books. That simple.

Ardent
14 November 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
The only REAL difference between Rebels and Terrorists is who's writing the history books. That simple.

That's not strictly true. There are terrorists who aren't rebelling, but rather reinforcing the status quo (look at the situation in the Middle East), whereas rebels are always trying to shake up the status quo.

I hate (no wait, love) to burst that bubble, Dark Knight.

The difference between a hero and a villain, however, is that fickle. ;)

CoryHolmes
14 November 2002, 04:00 PM
I think I'd like to see Fett clone himself, for a THIRD generation Jango Fett. That would be the only way to make sure that the new Fett would be every bit as good as the previous two. All of Fett's inborn ability added to the training of the two previous generations with the newest technology available would make for one baaad bounty hunter.

And I prefer the RPG verson of Boba Fett, as the emotionless bounty hunter. Willing to do anything for the credits paid, no matter what the costs. That sounds more like the Fett we all know :)

Rogue Janson
16 November 2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ElfWord
I can't wait to see Boba Fett in the NJO. I'd like to think that he will capture Han Solo, take him to Tsavong Lah, and there he will toss Solo the keys to the cuffs he is in, as well as a blaster. They will then proceed to capture Tsavong Lah, and fight their way out of the worldship, back to Fett's ship. Fett sustains an injury on the way back, and Han has to pilot with Fett doing what he can as co-pilot. Once they've blasted out of the worldship, tons of coralskippers are on an intercept course. Just when things look bleak, a New Republic fleet shows up and Han gets on the comm letting them know that Slave 5 is a friendly. The worldship and Lah's fleet is defeated, and Fett is hailed as a hero of the New Republic. The book ends with Fett taking his helmet off and shaking Han's hand. [/B]

Then Boba says he's sorry for all the hunting and the little 'carbon freezing' incident, Han says it's ok, it all turned out nice again, then Boba settles down and has lots of little Boba babies. I can't wait to see it happen.

I'm another person who agrees that Boba was killed off rather stupidly in RotJ so I agree with the decision to bring him back out of the sarlacc. I would like to see if he does anything in epIII to deserve being killed in such a silly way though.

Ok, on the side issue of whether Boba is evil, it's a tricky one. He's certainly not amoral, he has his own code of morals. However he is in the service of evil, in a similar way to a stormtrooper, although he has more choice in the matter (well, without going into deep seated psychological traumas). He has a belief that order should be preserved at pretty much any cost and as such implicitly supports actions which are evil - for example the destruction of Alderaan (which he surely knew the truth of). So I would say, despite the fact he is following his own moral code, this is so far in deviance from conventional norms he can be considered bad. Honourable, and not sadistic or cruel, but bad.

The point about the Rebels being terrorists is somewhat moot. Some definitions of terrorism distinguish between the use of force against military and civilian targets - something the Alliance did - and some don't. Interestingly some define it as intimidating or coercing societies or governments, meaning that you would be a terrorist if you intimidated the government (for example, by waving your fist at vader whenever you saw him) but the society supported and was not intimidated by you. Anyway, back to the point, is that the term can also apply to governments. So the Empire was clearly a terrorist government - if blowing up a planet with no military isn't a terrorist act, not much is.

So, going by our least generous definition, which is that the Rebel Alliance were terrorists, since they aimed to coerce the government for their ideological reasons, Boba had to make a choice between two terrorist organisations. The decision therefore had to be made on other grounds and Boba stuck with 'order' over the ideals of the Alliance.

Sorry about the not-strictly-on-topic ramble.

Arcome
24 November 2002, 02:15 AM
I don't think that anyone has anything to write about him, and if they do, nobody wants to publish it.--Arcome

ElfWord
5 December 2002, 06:23 PM
Arcome could you explain a little bit? Do you have a personal dislike for Boba Fett or do you just not think he's an interesting character?

Jedi Master Talon
12 December 2002, 06:08 PM
I think Fett is off on a world spending lots of money in the Unknown Regions. He obviouslly has intel and I think he's just waiting to make his reapperance.:D