PDA

View Full Version : Outcast Questions

DarthMalaryush
9 April 2002, 01:41 PM
I have been playing Jedi Knight: Outcast for a while now. I love the games and will still play them but, it makes me motion sick. Anyone else get this? Any prevention ideas? Just curious.?

Winter
9 April 2002, 04:43 PM
Most of those first person games get me motion sick.. which doesn't bother me since most of them are mindless shooters designed to entertain the testosterone shackled half of the race of which I am proudly not a member!

I won't say I didn't try any of them or have fun with them for a few minutes. THe best way I found to deal with the motion sickness is to turn OFF the walking motion and lower the resolution a bit. It might be fun to play in full living color but your keyboard will thank you for the lack of explosive results if you do it.

Jedi_Staailis
9 April 2002, 05:08 PM
I've never had a problem with motion sickness, but I read that it occurs in some people. As Winter said, they recommend turning off the swaying motion that is designed to emulate walking. Here's an excerpt from the readme:

The manual doesn’t mention the existence of the option “View
Swaying.” This is an option that effects how the first person
view will display. If you turn it “On,” you’ll notice a slight
bounce to your character’s step while walking. If turned off,
there will be no bounce while walking. By default, the option
is set to “On.” If you experience headaches, dizziness, or eye
strain while playing Jedi Outcast, try turning this option off,
as the movement caused by the “View Swaying” has been known to
cause these issues with some users.

I'll concede to my better judgement and leave Winter's comment alone.

dgswensen
9 April 2002, 05:46 PM
Ditto.

DarthMalaryush, have you considered trying Dramamine or other motion sickness remedies? I have also heard that the level of light in the room can help -- more light, or less, depending on circumstances.

Here are a couple interesting articles on "sim sickness" too... though the Salon one doesn't have much good news...

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/08/11/sim_sickness/index.html

http://www.hitl.washington.edu/publications/r-98-11/

Otonashi
10 April 2002, 06:08 AM
Hey, if you are getting ill looking at a video game there are two things that you should do. Number one stop playing! Secondly, sensitivity to flashing lights is a precursor symptom to lots of neurological disorders. If you find that regular TV, strobe lights, emergency vehicle lights et.al, are having the same effect on you get yourself checked out immediately.

reliant
11 April 2002, 11:33 AM
I know that my girlfriend can't play first person shooters because they make her motion sick too. Of course, she also gets carsick and airsick, so she might not be the best example... :(

I didn't know you could turn off the "sway", but that might help you out if you can. Otherwise, try all the other solutions suggested, or try just playing for less time. If sitting playing for hours makes you sick, try and limit yourself to an amount of time you can stomach (pun intended).

Other than that, I agree with Otonashi. If you get sick playing, JUST STOP.

zethzooken
11 April 2002, 04:59 PM
Personaly I never get motion sickness playing games. Although, sometimes I get to much into the games. After playing a video game for a coouple of hrs., I've been know for lossing complete track of time and going into a dazed state.