PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Character Artists

dgswensen
10 April 2002, 02:31 PM
I'm looking for an artist to do some character illustrations / portraits for me. I have several NPCs / PCs for which I would like some portraits, and my own drawing skill is not quite up to snuff. I haven't had a lot of luck finding anybody so far.

Unfortunately, I don't have much money right now, so fees would have to be fairly small -- maybe something taken in trade, if it can be managed.

Anyway, if anyone is at all interested in helping me out, please reply here, PM me, or drop me an email (in my profile). Thanks a lot.

Reverend Strone
10 April 2002, 03:18 PM
Let me know what you need dgswensen. I may be able to help you out depending on time constraints. Send me a PM and we'll deal.

May aswell keep it in the family, eh brother?

Alun
10 April 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen
I'm looking for an artist to do some character illustrations / portraits for me. I have several NPCs / PCs for which I would like some portraits, and my own drawing skill is not quite up to snuff. I haven't had a lot of luck finding anybody so far.

Unfortunately, I don't have much money right now, so fees would have to be fairly small -- maybe something taken in trade, if it can be managed.

Anyway, if anyone is at all interested in helping me out, please reply here, PM me, or drop me an email (in my profile). Thanks a lot.

www.heromachine.com
cheap and easy way of doing some basic characters.
their new beta version has many SW features.
Stormtrooper armor.
lightsaber (on and off)
Alien heads (rodian, ithorian, wookie and a few others).
Blaster pistol and carabine.
- the beta version requires a $10 donation to access though., But you can me some kewl ones. To see some examples take a look at my character (link below)

dgswensen
10 April 2002, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the tip, Alun. I actually do have a copy of Heromachine, and it's a great program, but it's a bit limited for my current purposes. It's fantastic for making some characters, but there are some cases where I want a very specific look, and Heromachine just will not do that (yet).

Still, thank you!

Chris Curtis
10 April 2002, 09:09 PM
I'd also highly suggest checking out the website Template Facades. You can find a link here:

http://starwars-rpg.net/linkarchive/links.php?sort=t

Great artwork and a great service for the community.

lordbynight
10 April 2002, 09:56 PM
I agree chris that guy does great work and is a huge help to the comunity.

Bombaatu
10 April 2002, 10:36 PM
I do character art for a game I'm in (non-Star Wars). I've attached a zip file with some of my work. I can't guarantee I can work *fast*, tho - Real Life and other issues may delay any requested artwork... (fair warning now)

Bombaatu
10 April 2002, 10:37 PM
One pic I had to take out of the zip...

lordbynight
10 April 2002, 10:43 PM
Good stuff guy how about a falleen noble..:D

Reverend Strone
10 April 2002, 10:48 PM
Hmm, I don't know guys. These images you're suggesting are okay at a pinch, but there has to be better around. The herobuilder drawings don't really have any character, and theses other guys at Template Facades are okay, but there has to be better available somewhere.

It seems to me this is a hugely under serviced market need. Of course the problem is, who's got the time? It's worth patting the guys who have done this work on the back for doing it most certainly, but I reckon there has to be a source for higher quality images.

Heck, I'd love to draw characters for everyone, and while trying not to sound arrogant, I will say I think I could do a better job than the majority of what's already out there at sites like Template Facades, but I just don't have the time to do it and still put food on the table. WotC had a good notion with their character portraits in SW Gamer, but it sounds like we may not see anymore of them.

Darned shame. I wish I could make a living just drawing characters for fellow role-players. I reckon that would be great fun, but I'm just not fast enough to make it viable. At affordable prices for drawings, I'd end up earning about $2 an hour.

If anyone finds a cool site with really high quality images, we all need to know about it!

Bombaatu
10 April 2002, 11:08 PM
lordbynight - I can give it a try. You looking for a face-shot, a bust, or a full-body pic? PM me with any character details (skin and eye color, type of clothing, distinguishing marks, etc.) Again, I cannot guarantee swiftness... :(

Reverend Strone
10 April 2002, 11:25 PM
Bombaatu , please understand I did not mean your work when commenting in my previous post!!!! Your work is very good.

You guys managed to post all that dialogue between yourself and LordbyNight in the space of time it took me to write my comments, so at the time I was writing, I hadn't seen your posts.

I hope you didn't take offense, because my comments were most certainly never intended to be about your artwork, by which I am impressed.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
10 April 2002, 11:35 PM
I can't draw a stick figure if my life depended on it, let alone a proper character :(

However, i've got skill in image editing programs... I've scoured the net for pics for my chars and then I edit them, mostly change of background, skin & clothing color changes...

There's a few limiting factors though:
- there's not a big variety to be found of any non-human species,
- secondly, the quality of the pics (drawn, scanned, digitily processed... )
- theres even a bigger lack of non-human 3d mesh models to be found else thats another route I would take ... (use a 3d modling program, pose and render the character then load it into an image edititng program to custom tailor as requested)

I don't mind image editing such pics for myself and a few friends, but if i offer to do it for everyone, i'd not only be swamped with work , but i'd also feel guilty of cheating out the people & artists who originally made them...

lordbynight
10 April 2002, 11:36 PM
hes a falleen noble dresses in rich lets say like dark age noble attire. he has green spots just a thing i added to falleen who are force sensative he weilds a sword. you can look on my site heirtotheempire.com click on the zartian character and then the image i made that with hero machine. take your time im not going anywhere:D

thanks

Alun
11 April 2002, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by revstrone
Hmm, I don't know guys. These images you're suggesting are okay at a pinch, but there has to be better around. The herobuilder drawings don't really have any character, and theses other guys at Template Facades are okay, but there has to be better available somewhere.

It seems to me this is a hugely under serviced market need. Of course the problem is, who's got the time? It's worth patting the guys who have done this work on the back for doing it most certainly, but I reckon there has to be a source for higher quality images.

Heck, I'd love to draw characters for everyone, and while trying not to sound arrogant, I will say I think I could do a better job than the majority of what's already out there at sites like Template Facades, but I just don't have the time to do it and still put food on the table. WotC had a good notion with their character portraits in SW Gamer, but it sounds like we may not see anymore of them.

Darned shame. I wish I could make a living just drawing characters for fellow role-players. I reckon that would be great fun, but I'm just not fast enough to make it viable. At affordable prices for drawings, I'd end up earning about $2 an hour.

If anyone finds a cool site with really high quality images, we all need to know about it!

I agree, Hero Machine is no replacement for a well made human made drawing. My point was it works great for making some NPCs or generic characters. And i'll take it for my character over anything that i could make (I also suffer from the not so well made stick drawings - syndrome). My problem is that to get someone else to draw for you either takes alot of dough or they suck (thats just my expirience). Then there's people like Ghost, who draws for the Forum, good art and for free (he must have hit his head, but to our advantage). If someone out there is as generous as ghost i'll gladly take some human made drawings.

Anyone ?

BRodgers
11 April 2002, 05:10 AM
I'm just taking this opportunity to plug the artwork on my site:

WWW.RaptorSquad.Net

We gots pics of humans, ubese, twileks, klatoonians, hutts...etc.

I've been known to do work for other sites, but it all depends on my current workload and what exaclty the request is.

Enjoy.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
11 April 2002, 07:31 AM
Way cool site BRodgers!

Definately some interesting artwork on the site, read some of the characters profiles... neat!

It's people like you we need more of!

BRodgers
11 April 2002, 08:35 AM
Well thank ye' Terras..we do aim to please....

I must say you too have some very snazzy artwork on your site. Interesting tidbit..the ship we use in our current campaign was originally called "The Raven" until we re-christened it the "Black Talon". Before the Raven it was called the "Foxcatch"...the ship of Boba Fett impersonator Jodo Kast, (we snagged it at a black market auction on Celanon)

For some reason however I have a nagging feeling we havent heard the last of Kast though.... :raised:

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
11 April 2002, 03:30 PM
Thx,

Though I claim no credit for those pics used on the site, except for the major edit job I did to the deckplans ...

I can't even begin to count how much time i've spent scourging the net for pics to use or edit...

The pic I used for my char looks kinda wierd holding a sheild and hammer don't it? it was the best I could find at the time... (nor can I find anything decent to replace the sheild and hammer with)

As for the hero machine, I did goof around in it and made myself a similar looking char , though it ended up looking more of a Indiana Jones & Kurt Russel (Escape from L.A - Snake Plisskin char) ... :D
I have him posted here:
New Hero Machine Thread (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=6091)

If ya have that pic a close look, i've added texturing to the character to make it more lifelike... that sort of thing and color tone changing or background replacements is what i can do ... but that all dont mean a thing unless i got a pic to work with ...

Rigil Kent
15 April 2002, 04:54 PM
I'll plug the artwork on my site as well, although Daniel (the artist in the group) is notoriously difficult to get working on anything. And sometimes, he's just so darned slow! :D

Reverend Strone
15 April 2002, 06:50 PM
Well, since the change over, we lost a bunch of posts here, so I'll summarize (please chip in if I missed anything or anyone).

I remember Darth Maim, dgswensen and I were proposing the notion of a permanet Network Gallery for artists to submit work to that could then be accessed by all users for Character portraits etc.

I would gladly contribute to that idea if it were to fly, and have sent stuff to the webmasters with that in mind. Other folks interested?

Perhaps if such a feature weren't practical for the network for whatever reason (the guys who do such a great job of running this place are probably overworked as it is), we could create an alternative location for such material with a link to the SWRPG Network.

Late Edit- woops, just noticed BRodgers has beaten me to this one with his own new Thread. Please refer there for further dialogue...

hisham
2 May 2002, 06:10 AM
"...and theses other guys at Template Facades are okay, but there has to be better available somewhere."

"I will say I think I could do a better job than the majority of what's already out there at sites like Template Facades,"

snif:(

No, seriously. Any constructive criticisms are welcome.

Peace.

BRodgers
2 May 2002, 06:23 AM
Hisham, dont take these poeple too seriously.

Bottom line is, everyone has their own tastes and opinions, and while it is rude to point out someone else just because their style is different doesnt mean that your style is any less better or worse than someone elses.

I refer to Kieth Giffen's run on Trencher , a comic book put out in the early 90's by Image. I kinda dig it...sure, sometimes his style is hard to decipher, but it's a very kinetic style and certainly not for everyone. My fiance' doesn;t like it at all, calling it too "busy".

I like your stuff, I think you have a very distinctive style and your inking is great. I've said it before about SW "mega-sites" and I'll say it about the SWRPG art community. There is PLENTY of room in it for all of us. It certainly shouldnt become a popularity contest or competition, since we are all working to improve the community.

Anyway, don' sweat it, keep doing what you are doing and don't let someone else's opinions stray you from your course. You do fine work at Template Facades, and you are providing a lot more for the community than a lot of people are!:D

Reverend Strone
2 May 2002, 01:01 PM
hisham, please don't be discouraged. BRodgers is absolutely right. You occupy an important place in the community, and more importantly- you're actually doing it!

I must apologise for my comment- the less harsh of the two you quoted. Please appreciate the context for which it was intended. I was trying to prompt some action from the many artists out there in our Holonet community to get some art done and raise the bar. I never intended to slam your efforts, but I do appreciate in rereading what I wrote, that it was critical, and for that carelessness I sincerely apologise. Had I thought there was a chance you'd read these comments, I would most certainly have been more careful in how I worded what I had intended to say.

You do a fine job, and as BRodgers said, many benefit from the selfless work you do. I didn't mean to sound so much as if I was criticising your work, so much as saying, "hey, if you think you can do better, get off your tush and do it". I was trying to inspire, but I ended up doing the opposite.

Don't stop drawing! Our community needs your art and people like you, and all styles are as valid as eachother.

Once again, my comment was careless, and never intended to hurt, so please accept my humblest apologies.